Official Surly - Texas at OK State Game Thread

Vertigo

Just now, MotownHorn said:

The bullshit offsides call on the fake punt gave them 7 points

we win if they don’t score those 7 points 

When you show up completely uninterested and unprepared, you deserve to lose.

watching this board blame the refs and bitch about the conference when we lose is so embarrassing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

Excited to see this team play 4 full qrts 

Did you not watch the first quarter? Our D did not show up to start the game.  Even without starting CBs they have to play better than that.

Edited by coolsax

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I don’t know. But I’m certain it didn’t give them 7 points. You recall what happened after that play, correct?

You don’t know if the call that should have made it 4th and 6 was correct (it wasn’t. You’d know that if you knew anything about football), but you’re certain it didn’t give them 7 points even though they would have punted if the refs made the correct call?

Man that’s some solid fucking logic right there.

Youre not wrong that we played like dogshit for a lot of the game. But the refs made an incorrect call that gifted 7 points to our opponent 

Edited by MotownHorn

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

You don’t know if the call that should have made it 4th and 6 was correct (it wasn’t. You’d know that if you knew anything about football), but you’re certain it didn’t give them 7 points even though they would have punted if the refs made the correct call?

Man that’s some solid fucking logic right there.

Youre not wrong that we played like dogshit for a lot of the game. But the refs made an incorrect call that gifted 7 points to our opponent 

Well, 2 things about that play:

1) up backs move towards the line all the time in that formation. Beck did it all night.

2) lines shift in that formation. You see it when they show 1 formation and then move en masse to another.

so I don’t know.

but I do know they actually had to move the ball another 45 yards or so to score and convert a long TD pass on 4th down to score. The facts surrounding all of that make clear your belief that they were gifted 7 points is just what losers say the day after a tough loss.

9 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

Nah he was pulling the jersey as well. It was a hold but I think the official felt it started outside the end zone

I’m trying to be unbiased I really am but I don’t see how that’s a hold. If anything it’s a block in the back. Seems like every ticky tack judgement call on us is called and it’s been this way for a few years now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamttx said:

Yeah, but it isn’t received well. Even when I played, which was a long fucking time ago. You stand down once a team goes victory formation. Regardless of your passion, your peers will think your just a dick. Even NFL guys don’t violate that formation. 

Sure but again how does that warrant a penalty? How does Gundy not get penalized for potentially sparking a fight?

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I don’t know. But I’m certain it didn’t give them 7 points. You recall what happened after that play, correct?

ABC's rules guy said that how Okie St got Texas to jump offsides was against the rules and it shouldn't have been a penalty.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

ABC's rules guy said that how Okie St got Texas to jump offsides was against the rules and it shouldn't have been a penalty.

Read my subsequent posts. My point is it wasn’t a scoring play. They weren’t “gifted” points. We had a chance to get another stop but shat down our leg.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Read my subsequent posts. My point is it wasn’t a scoring play. They weren’t “gifted” points. We had a chance to get another stop but shat down our leg.

Your argument is basically that giving a team 5 downs instead of 4 isn’t a gift to that team 

We played like shit in the first half. You’re not wrong there. But you’re wrong about this call and it’s implications.

Youre also right that, in the end, only losers complain about refs. So whatever. It’s over. We lost. That sucks. We shouldn’t have let that call, or any calls, be an issue. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We got a stop though.  It's not unreasonable to be upset about the officials wrongly giving them another shot.  It doesn't matter that the defense had a shitty night.

Some of the coaching decisions and player mistakes this late in the season are just odd

Running back rotation

the fact that we switched out 3 punt returners in the game

the onside kick

not taking the TO before the half

the delay penalty again

the first drive tds given up by the defense

etc

some of those things should be fixed already

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Some of the coaching decisions and player mistakes this late in the season are just odd

Running back rotation

the fact that we switched out 3 punt returners in the game

the onside kick

not taking the TO before the half

the delay penalty again

the first drive tds given up by the defense

etc

some of those things should be fixed already

The onside kick with 3 timeouts is the biggest head scratcher.   Terrible decision.  

Blaming this loss on the refs is what children do. Texas made too many mistakes. Catching that punt inside the 10 was stupid. There was a kickoff that the Texas guy brought out of the endzone that he shouldn’t have. Couple of passes right on the money that were dropped. Many missed tackles. Hager gets in the backfield several times and then misses the tackle. The last TD by their QB, Foster missed the tackle, no I take that back, he didn’t miss the tackle, he went to ask the QB for an autograph. Omenihu lines up offside. The way they managed the game right before halftime. Our OL is good in pass blocking but they suck in run blocking. Our DL was getting dominated unless they brought more players from the secondary. Also the suspensions.

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Blaming this loss on the refs is what children do. Texas made too many mistakes. Catching that punt inside the 10 was stupid. There was a kickoff that the Texas guy brought out of the endzone that he shouldn’t have. Couple of passes right on the money that were dropped. Many missed tackles. Hager gets in the backfield several times and then misses the tackle. The last TD by their QB, Foster missed the tackle, no I take that back, he didn’t miss the tackle, he went to ask the QB for an autograph. Omenihu lines up offside. The way they managed the game right before halftime. Our OL is good in pass blocking but they suck in run blocking. Our DL was getting dominated unless they brought more players from the secondary. Also the suspensions.

100% agree.  Blaming refs is easy and aggy.  The refs blew calls.  The refs always blow calls.  The refs did not allow the 1st half onslaught.   We did.  The refs just made things more frustrating. 

Take the loss, pussies. 

Edited by deadshank

About the onside kick, I don’t think it was a bad decision. It was executed in a way that gave us zero chance to recover the ball. Either way, your defense has to force a three-and-out, and they didn’t. The outcome would have been the same with a long kickoff. I think it was the USC teams under Carrol that did these kickoffs that were high and short, and often their kickoff coverage guys got dangerously close to making the catch. I don’t understand why teams don’t do that more often. Maybe it’s very difficult to kick the ball high and short, I don’t know. But what Dicker did last night would never work.

8 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Take the loss, Pussies.

And good game pokes. Your team played inspired tonight unlike ours... Until it was too late.

We got Texas'd tonight. Clawed back in with a chance to win just to have that door slammed in our face. Fitting.

Hager would be a beast if he actually tackled the ball carrier. Hell if just recognized who had the ball and got in front of them instead of shooting past them looking at the wrong guy, we would probably be the run D in the country.

Refs sucked once again... The punt call was a joke. As were a couple others. But it wasn't the refs that cost us this one. This one was lost in multiple areas.

_iaz running the defense while Orlando took an entire quarter to take a shit was one big reason.  Orlando's ability to make adjustments at halftime is amazing. It's almost as amazing as his ability to wiff on what to expect from teams at the start.  I think someone needs to teach him how to use the remote because obviously he's never watched game film on any opponent. At times his calls look genius, but guaranteed to be followed up with the WTF call shortly after. I swear this fucker is a gemini. Half Mike Ditka (generous), part Manny _ias.

I don't recall ever seeing a team have so many big plays--HUGE plays--get called back over stupid penalties that are completely unnecessary... HERE IS LOOKING AT YOU, SENIORS. How can our seniors be this undisciplined. Unreal. So many Bonehead mistakes for a senior class.

We do have heart and that Texas FIGHT we've been missing for a long time. One game at a time. This team is still ahead of where most of us thought it would be at the start of the season. It's a young team with plenty of room to grow (thank you jesus)

I was still a little hesitant on Sam (gun shy), but after tonight, (for me) he is for real. I've never would've believed he could become a rock solid field General after last year. His turnaround has been unparalleled in school history. The wheel he hit tonight, for me, will rank high as one of the prettiest connections in school hostory.  I never would have believed he could inprove his accuracy this much since last year. It makes me wonder if there wasn't a shoulder (or something) injury last year. Either way, Sam I Am!

Herman.  I still don't know what i think about him...  He has the tools to be a great coach. But he can look completely clownish too often during games... I hope it's just lack of experience and he will find the grove between aggressive, smart, conservative, big, and sane. Hopefully each of these games are something he is learning from right along with the team...  Overall he has been good for Texas and is laying the foundation Strong promised of mental and physical toughness our program is supposed to be built upon.

On to the next...  Hopefully this is the one where the team and the coaches show up for all 4 quarters and give us fans something to get excited about for the rest of the season and especially looking at next...

Pretty much ditto all this.

51 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

The onside kick with 3 timeouts is the biggest head scratcher.   Terrible decision.  

The end of the first half was a bigger one for me.

There were 13 seconds left.  It was  only 3rd and 10 and we were only 15 yards from field goal range.  And we had a timeout.

Herman just letting the clock run out there is inexcusable.  And no, the only option wasn’t a 60 yard Hail Mary with a sore shoulder as someone mentioned earlier.

Pathetic! 

Yes:  agree the refs are not the reason we lost against OSU this time, we played bad and coaching was not great in several situations, on both sides of the ball.

However, it is difficult to believe that some of the "missed" or "blown" calls randomly occur at the pivotal part of the game or drive.

There was more than a couple of those last night.

Don't believe in coincidences. If there were better accountability for these "errors", then I wouldn't care, but there isn't.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

The end of the first half was a bigger one for me.

There were 13 seconds left.  It was  only 3rd and 10 and we were only 15 yards from field goal range.  And we had a timeout.

Herman just letting the clock run out there is inexcusable.  And no, the only option wasn’t a 60 yard Hail Mary with a sore shoulder as someone mentioned earlier.

Pathetic! 

What was the down side to playing for it? It was as if Herman couldn't wait to start chewing ass and threw the time away.

There also was little urgency on the next to the last drive... as if we had the lead. 

Just watched the play where okst scores to get to 37 on a 3rd down. That was the play of the game and bj foster looked like he was intentionally letting the guy score. He was locked in on Cornelius the whole play and then didn’t even try to tackle him, let him get around and score.

Had we held them to a fg, we would have won by 1

That was outrageous

3 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Just watched the play where okst scores to get to 37 on a 3rd down. That was the play of the game and bj foster looked like he was intentionally letting the guy score. He was locked in on Cornelius the whole play and then didn’t even try to tackle him, let him get around and score.

That was outrageous

Yeah, no idea wtf was going on with BJ on that play.  Maybe he was unsure if he had the ball and was concerned about picking up an unnecessary roughness call?  Really poor play and I feel like he whiffed on a couple more bad ones during game.  

Sterns and Foster seem to be on a regression path right now.  Wonder if the rigor of a college season is kicking in.  

I think we all knew that Texas was going to drop a game like last night at some point. That game had almost every one of the patented issues that have been holding the team back for years. Those are things are controllable. Great teams overcome the things that are out of their control like questionable calls by the refs, because they are disciplined in all facets of play. This team is not yet a great team, but a good team that can still make the conference championship game if they fix their ailments from last night. As fans, we can choose to bitch about refs being "out to get us" or to move forward and get excited for next weekend. I look forward to seeing how this team responds in their new "biggest game in recent program history" next weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I think we all knew that Texas was going to drop a game like last night at some point. That game had almost every one of the patented issues that have been holding the team back for years. Those are things are controllable. Great teams overcome the things that are out of their control like questionable calls by the refs, because they are disciplined in all facets of play. This team is not yet a great team, but a good team that can still make the conference championship game if they fix their ailments from last night. As fans, we can choose to bitch about refs being "out to get us" or to move forward and get excited for next weekend. I look forward to seeing how this team responds in their new "biggest game in recent program history" next weekend. 

I’ll be shocked if this team loses to WVA next week. And I’ll be shocked if they win in Lubbock.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ll be shocked if this team loses to WVA next week. And I’ll be shocked if they win in Lubbock.

Yup. This team is getting better but they’re not to the point where we can feel confident going into a tough environment, against an average team. 

Point being I think we beat Okst at home easily. 

Let's move on.   This was a trap game from the beginning.    Off week.   The media telling us all week leading up to the game OSU was having an off year.  Perfect storm hit the fan and we still nearly pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

I do hate Okie States stadium.   There should be some standard set by the  NCAA about how close the stands can be to the actual playing area.  I guess it will take Okie State losing a Barry Sanders like player with him  getting clocked and losing him for a season or forever  by their own nonsense for them to change it?

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

To be fair about the bad calls....OSU should have had a safety on that holding call in the end zone. That would have ended the game a lot sooner. 

Looked like ref realized he made a fucked up holding call, and to make it up, said it was not in the end zone.

5 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Yeah, but it isn’t received well. Even when I played, which was a long fucking time ago. You stand down once a team goes victory formation. Regardless of your passion, your peers will think your just a dick. Even NFL guys don’t violate that formation. 

Unless Greg Schiano is your head corch! Lulz

Pj is gone next year which is a good thing even tho he’s a greet kid and probably a great leader. But jones probably isn’t leaving now and he’s just not playing good enough. I could see him getting passed next year by a younger guy. 

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

To be fair about the bad calls....OSU should have had a safety on that holding call in the end zone. That would have ended the game a lot sooner. 

Whew thank god the officials bailed us out by calling us for just a hold and not a safety. About the only thing that went our way all night was a penalty we got called for, think about that.

Edited by Texas25

Before the season this game worried me more than most.  I didn't expect Maryland to happen again but thought we might get tripped up against TCU or USC on the way to a good season which we are still looking at. 

Thoughts about yesterday:

Missed tackles which were usually made near the line of scrimmage. 

Catches dropped that were made all year. 

Misdirection shit is our kryptonite. Takes a while to adjust...longer than the Ou type teams. 

The other qb is always unaccounted for as a running threat. This happens every game it feels like. 

Defense sucks that first drive again.  I was pissed when it happened again but I should expect it at this point. 

Sam is a gamer, he can't win them all yet but I love the improved accuracy and confidence.  He needs to be coached better when he's out of the pocket on plays that weren't designed for him to go outside. 

Secondary sucked yesterday but still think they are better than what happened yesterday.  Bad day for everyone to have their worst day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

That was outrageous

Watch Sterns on that play.  It...wasn’t so good.  

Pj is gone next year which is a good thing even tho he’s a greet kid and probably a great leader. But jones probably isn’t leaving now and he’s just not playing good enough. I could see him getting passed next year by a younger guy. 

Lol no. Jones will start every game he’s at Texas healthy. He’s been dang good in run support, solid in the return game when he’s been asked and average in coverage. He’s not getting benched.