Caravan

gsoda3

Yes but this is the immigrant / refugee experience every step of the way. 

Imprisoning and gassing them and demonizing those who CLEARLY qualify for asylum is barbaric, especially when this is EXACTLY the expected result of global warming, which the US caused. On top of economic and political destabilization, which the US caused.

Get ready for A LOT of this. It's not being done for citizenship btw, it is being done for survival.

Imagine crossing a dangerous toxic war torn wasteland just to be imprisoned and , surviving that, turned into a lifelong servant for slave wages (if lucky).

Who would choose this!

We did, upon voting for anti-science bigots like Trump. And war mongering Destructo capitalists like Bush & Cheney.

We owe the fn world a better America. If not, take down the statue of liberty, junk the exceptionalist freedom land propaganda and declare the place Planet of the American apes. Beat your chest and snort MAGA.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2018 at 11:04 AM, Iconoclast Texan said:

How about it contributes to sprawl and long ass commute times because educated CITIZENS don’t want to send their kids to poor performing HISD schools overrun by illegals. Unless you are rich enough to send your kids to private school, neighborhoods close to downtown are foreclosed to lots of the middle class because of this issue.

What neighborhoods close to downtown are you talking about? Third Ward? Fifth Ward? The East End? 'Cause I know you are not talking about the Heights, Montrose, West U, Braes Heights, Bellaire, and Meyerland. 

As far as white people sending their kids to those "bad" schools close to downtown, that ship sailed a long-ass time ago, only because of fear of black people instead of brown. Or are you gonna try to tell me that back in the MAGA days, tons of white kids were happily attending Yates, Wheatley, Washington, and Kashmere until them damn Mezkins got up here and ruined everything?

And the same goes for sprawl. The common factor is scared white people, not those who have caused them to flee.

Dude, I am a product of the inner loop, right in the heart of Houston, just on "the right side" of 288. My mother's side of the family was one of the last white families to leave Riverside in the late '60s because of the blockbusting that went on over there -- "the coloreds" came in and all the white folks fled west. Mexicans had nothing to do with it at all. 

Both of my kids are HISD products, one unfinished and the other a graduate. My ex wife is a teacher in the district. Close members of my family have attended HISD schools since the early '70s. 

So kindly cease spewing bullshit. You are out of your element, newbie. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Shit like that makes me wish I lived in another country. Going to have to up my savings rate the next few years so I can hit the eject button. 

Take a look at the pictures Nicholas Kristof took accompanying his piece in the Times today about what is going on in Yemen. Pics of starving kids. We have no business funding Saudi Arabia’s war in Yemen. Doesn’t advance our national interests at all.

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Take a look at the pictures Nicholas Kristof took accompanying his piece in the Times today about what is going on in Yemen. Pics of starving kids. We have no business funding Saudi Arabia’s war in Yemen. Doesn’t advance our national interests at all.

suffering children seem to be a feature of the trump administration. 

he lacks any sense of empathy. he's a terrible person.

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Remind me how this relates to the Caravan and our current immigration (or more better termed "no brown people immigration") policy?

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Remind me how this relates to the Caravan and our current immigration (or more better termed "no brown people immigration") policy?

Why do you and others keep making it a racial issue and keep harping on keeping brown people out. It’s poor people who don’t speak English and have no skills problem. I’m not hearing supporters of border security using racial justifications for wanting to keep them out. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Why do you and others keep making it a racial issue and keep harping on keeping brown people out. It’s poor people who don’t speak English and have no skills problem. I’m not hearing supporters of border security using racial justifications for wanting to keep them out. 

Just because they aren’t saying the quiet parts out loud doesn’t mean it isn’t part of the motivation.

And how do you know if the folks in question don’t speak English or don’t have any “skills”?

You’re making that assumption based on where they’re from and their ethnicity. You’re saying exactly what you claim you aren’t hearing other people say - you’re just using coded language and dog whistles to say it.

And next you’ll claim that their skin color has nothing to do with it! You’d feel the same way if Canadians were coming across our northern border!

Yet you guys never seem to voice your passionate opposition to immigrants who come here and overstay their visas. Which happens in greater numbers than brown people who come across the southern border.

And a person’s language ability nor “skills” should matter if they’re here illegally, right? We’ve been told illegal is illegal over and over from people like you.

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

common sense when arresting a 7 yo 'invader' 

do you want a bottle of water ?

do you want something to eat ?

do you want a blanket ?

a nurse is going to take a look at you

and so on......

You’re talking about an organization who will happily pour out bottles of water that were left in the desert for the illegals.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

If these people were white, we wouldn't be treating them like this.

Americans like to explain everything through the prism of race which is moronic when applied to this situation. Has anyone railed against the educated, wealthy Mexicans and Venezuelans who have flocked to the Woodlands legally? The answer is no one. I am opposed to illegal immigrants streaming across the border because they are uneducated and poor and will add nothing other than cheap, unskilled labor that we have plenty of. Wanting educated people with means to immigrate to your country doesn’t mean that you hate brown people. My parents and family members waited years to immigrate legally to this country. That’s one of many reasons why I want a massive crackdown. Criminals shouldn’t be rewarded. The Border Patrol are doing a thankless job for shitty pay keeping the hordes of illegals at bay. The vast majority of the Border Patrol are Hispanic themselves. They have my respect and admiration. The NFL should have a weekend devoted to saluting the Border Patrol and ICE like they do for the military. Salute to the Border Patrol. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Americans like to explain everything through the prism of race which is moronic when applied to this situation. Has anyone railed against the with educated, wealthy Mexicans and Venezuelans who have flocked to the Woodlands legally. The answer is no one. I am opposed to illegal immigrants streaming across the border because they are uneducated and poor and  will add nothing other than cheap, unskilled labor that we have plenty of. Wanting educated people with means to immigrate to your country doesn’t mean that you hate brown people. My parents and family members waited years to immigrate legally to this country. That’s one of many reasons why I want a massive crackdown. Criminals shouldn’t be rewarded. The Border Patrol are doing a thankless job for shitty pay keeping the hordes of illegals at bay. The vast majority of them are Hispanic themselves. They have my respect and admiration. The NFL should have a weekend devoted to saluting the Border Patrol and ICE like they do for the military. Salute to the Border Patrol. 

We wouldn't be treating the people at the southern border this way if they were white.

Just now, David Dennison said:

We wouldn't be treating the people at the southern border this way if they were white.

Disagree. Look at how poorly the Irish were treated back in the day even though they were white. It’s not racially based. It’s based on class and socioeconomic worry by those in the lower middle class affected by depressed wages that illegals contribute to.

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

Disagree. Look at how poorly the Irish were treated back in the day even though they were white. It’s not racially based. It’s based on class and socioeconomic worry by those in the lower middle class affected by depressed wages that illegals contribute to.

You can disagree all you want. You're wrong.

Just now, David Dennison said:

You didn't hear about that Canadian white kid who died of thirst at the border? No wait. Sorry, that kid came right across with no hassle for visa free "tourism", had a frosty at Wendy's, and then lived her whole life in Maine while her mama shook her titties illegally at the local strip club. 

Canadians can even overcome the visa waiver overstay. Mama can shake titties for a year, go back to Canada to visit grandma and come right back to shake her titties some more. Mexicans only wish they had it so easy. 

26 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Are you sure you really want to align with this guy?

Related image

Because these fuckers didn't consider the Irish "white" either and thought their lower class, uneducated, papist views would tear this country apart.

Speaking of the Irish....

I mean, if dumbasses can’t see the difference in the treatment, then they’re intentionally ignoring it or just plain stupid.

Now imagine an outgoing Democrat named Jose Fernandez doing this for Mexican immigrants on his way out the back door.

Trumpublicans would be in a pants shitting rage.
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 1:18 PM, Captainant said:

I thought being a christian was how you thinly excused your dreams of violence against immigrants. You clearly do support ripping children from their parents because you vociferously support trump's policies. You've tied yourself to trump's mushroom-shaped mast, you get to enjoy the fact that your political leader is imprisoning children and letting sex offenders and kiddie diddlers look after them. And he's doing it because it's what people like you (read: trump's base) want.

One would think that the whole "Obama did it too" thing would slow you roll just a little bit. But no, this argument keeps popping up all over the place as if it's meaningful. 

None of this is about legal immigration, it's about illegal immigration. It's support for cheaters. It's like saying that the referee who bumped into Charlie and threw a flag was right, or that the referee who called holding on our defensive line was right. You have to have rules and those rules must be followed. You aren't opposing immigration, which we all agree is good, you are supporting cheating, which almost everyone agrees is bad.

The penis reference was good though, I enjoyed that.

Edited by Thetexashammer

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And next you’ll claim that their skin color has nothing to do with it! You’d feel the same way if Canadians were coming across our northern border!

The really only relevant factual truth you've posted. It doesn't matter where they come from or what color they are. Illegal entry is illegal entry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

As much as I'll catch hell for this, I actually agree with Icono on this one albeit for a slightly different reason.

I think the left jumps to race way too quickly as the reason for everything.  Now granted, the Trump administration has catered to, and emboldened the racists in this country; and there are a considerable number of people who do view immigration through a racist lens, but I don't think that's the majority.

Personally, I think the larger issue is culture.  If you look through our history, it's the fear of cultural changes that has been the primary driver for opposition to large immigration movements.  First it was Jews, then Germans, then Chinese, then the papist Irish and Italians.  In the 70's and 80'st It was the Vietnamese, Iranian, Cuban, and Indian.  Now it's Mexican/Latin American and Muslim.  

But like every other group before, this will be a blip on the radar in 100 years and it will be some other group in the cross hairs.

Hell, based on what happened with the Irish, Italians, German, and Jews (outside the neo-Nazi set, anyway), Mexicans and other Latin Americans might be considered white in 100 years.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Hell, based on what happened with the Irish, Italians, German, and Jews (outside the neo-Nazi set, anyway), Mexicans and other Latin Americans might be considered white in 100 years.

Except Mexicans have already been in America for hundreds of years.

Disturbing article from September

The “hieleras”, or iceboxes, asylum-seekers said, were overcrowded, unhygienic, and prone to outbreaks of vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory infections and other communicable diseases. Many complained about the cruelty of guards, who they said would yell at children, taunt detainees with promises of food that never materialized and kick people who did not wake up when they were expected to.

At regular intervals, day and night, the Martinezes, and many others, said guards would come banging on the walls and doors and demand that they present themselves for roll call.

If they talked too loudly, or if children were crying, the guards would threaten to turn the air temperature down further. When the Martinezes gathered with fellow detainees to sing hymns and lift their spirits a little, the guards would taunt them, or ask aggressively: “Why did you bother coming here? Why didn’t you stay in your country?”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/12/us-immigration-detention-facilities

When a seven-year-old girl dies almost doubtlessly due to deprivation that is motivated by tough, bullshit rhetoric it's time for everyone to get out of their ideology.  Scurrying for a coherent defense of it is as reprehensible as wielding the issue as a political device to attack another side.  Not trying to get too "both sides-y" but there's a point where people are expected to act like people rather than robotic products of their incoherent and useless sense of political identity.  People are making money off of these inadequate facilities.  It's been happening for awhile.  It's revolting.  I don't know where to start, but it's fatiguing that even that topic is incapable of shaking people out of their little temples of self righteousness.  Maybe that entrepreneurial endeavor should become a break even business when the lowest bar of human standards can't be met by the most prosperous country in the world.  That kid never made a decision about her fate.  For a second it might be unimportant who is at fault.  Maybe the standards can be addressed first.  Maybe "deadly" could instantly be considered an unacceptable standard.  I don't know.  The declaration of "fuck everyone" can wait until after we do some basic cleaning of the crude campsite.  But yeah, fuck everyone.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Except Mexicans have already been in America for hundreds of years.

That's kind of the point, and kind of misleading.  In the early days, the border crossed them, not the other way around.  But even as Mexicans continued to trickled into the US after the borders we're set, they tended to stay close to the border and we're often there long before the "Europe" immigrants arrived.  In other words, they WERE the establishment in those areas. You can see it in the fact that Southwestern culture is so influenced by Mexican culture.

It's only been since the mid-80's that Mexican immigrants have made there way to areas of historically European immigration and started influencing their culture.  

That's what I think this is all about.  I don't pretend there isn't any racism involved, but I don't think it's the majority.

Here's a really cool animated data model showing US immigration over time.

There's also a "by state" version, but as usual, I'm on my phone and couldn't find the video version...if one even exists.

• Like 1

That's kind of the point, and kind of misleading.  In the early days, the border crossed them, not the other way around.  But even as Mexicans continued to trickled into the US after the borders we're set, they tended to stay close to the border and we're often there long before the "Europe" immigrants arrived.  In other words, they WERE the establishment in those areas. You can see it in the fact that Southwestern culture is so influenced by Mexican culture.

It's only been since the mid-80's that Mexican immigrants have made there way to areas of historically European immigration and started influencing their culture.  

That's what I think this is all about.  I don't pretend there isn't any racism involved, but I don't think it's the majority.

Here's a really cool animated data model showing US immigration over time.

[/url] There's also a "by state" version, but as usual, I'm on my phone and couldn't find the video version...if one even exists.

Your point is a good one, it really is. But...I think the distinction you are making is one of semantics. For example, you note that there was a nativist pushback against the Irish and Italians - that’s true.

But it was also accompanied by arguments that they weren’t really “white,” and similar terminology.

There was a tide of xenophobic “otherness,” which in and of itself, classified the newcomers as somehow less human than pure, white, “American” stock.

The Irish, the Italians, the Chinese Exclusion Act, etc...this is just the latest iteration. And it’s just as irrational, just as repugnant, and just as wicked. Same as it ever was.

As for me, yes, it really is that simple. If any of these folks appeared at my door, they would get water, a meal, and shelter. I’m a really shitty Christian, but even a numbskull like me figured out what this means:

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

As for the rebuttal of “oh, so we should just let be whole world in?”...I don’t know. I would say “not necessarily.” I believe that our laws on excluding criminals, and verifying claims for asylum, are sound. But I also believe that it’s hard to get here, and that’s it’s own filter. And again...whoever they are, if they show up on my doorstep, I’d follow the simple plan of Matthew.

How could I ever answer to God, to my family, or myself, if I did anything less?

• Like 2

We should let anyone in that wants to come, can document their identity, can pass a background check for violent behavior, and is willing to become part of the system. Needs to be a quick process. 

The easier we make it to get in legally, the tougher we need to be on illegal entrants. 

In the last day, I’ve seen Facebook videos claiming to show the caravaners getting jobs being wonderful people as they wait, and also Facebook videos claiming to show the caravaners trashing blocks and generally terrorizing the local populace.  I haven’t watched any of them, but the propaganda war is annoying and disgusting. 

12 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The Irish maybe pale-skinned and they may share the same genus as us, and they can certainly breed and produce offspring with us, but that doesn’t mean they are the same species as us - Carl Linnaeus out front shoulda told ya.  I give them credit - it’s amazing to me that Homo erectus managed to hold out on that island for hundreds of thousands of years against the Homo sapiens who were just 12 miles across the water to the east of them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Lmao. Card carrying moron right here. You can’t make this shit up. 

I guess he loves Chinese and Russian birth vacations too. 

You try so hard to paint any opponent of your view points as evil and racist so as to avoid actually addressing the issue  it’s a broken record 

The sad thing is your mind is so warped you actually believe that shit. Outstanding Hugo. Outstanding. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Your point is a good one, it really is. But...I think the distinction you are making is one of semantics. For example, you note that there was a nativist pushback against the Irish and Italians - that’s true.

But it was also accompanied by arguments that they weren’t really “white,” and similar terminology.

There was a tide of xenophobic “otherness,” which in and of itself, classified the newcomers as somehow less human than pure, white, “American” stock.

The Irish, the Italians, the Chinese Exclusion Act, etc...this is just the latest iteration. And it’s just as irrational, just as repugnant, and just as wicked. Same as it ever was.

As for me, yes, it really is that simple. If any of these folks appeared at my door, they would get water, a meal, and shelter. I’m a really shitty Christian, but even a numbskull like me figured out what this means:

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

As for the rebuttal of “oh, so we should just let be whole world in?”...I don’t know. I would say “not necessarily.” I believe that our laws on excluding criminals, and verifying claims for asylum, are sound. But I also believe that it’s hard to get here, and that’s it’s own filter. And again...whoever they are, if they show up on my doorstep, I’d follow the simple plan of Matthew.

How could I ever answer to God, to my family, or myself, if I did anything less?

I couldn't agree more.  I wasn't meaning to trivialize the issue of racism, but rather to point out that it's more complicated than just calling everyone who opposes mass immigration a racist.

I'm half Italian, half German.  All of my family arrived in America in the early 20th century...and none were considered "white" upon arrival, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone today who doesn't consider me to be white. I think the reason it seems more "racist" now is because European mass immigration ended and we've moved on the the rest of the world now...and the fact is there are many, many more people with darker skin tones than lighter ones in the world.  

But "otherness" isn't exclusively a color based idea in relation to migration.  Take Austin for example, there are plenty of us "old Austin" types who feel that mass migration from other states...mostly by 'white folk'...has changed it for the worse.  Just as the folks who'd lived in Austin for 40 years before I arrived in the late 80's thought my group was ruining their version of "old Austin"....and so it goes. 

Get you pens and papers ready for your sternly worded letters to CNN and the kid's father...

(CNN)The father of a 7-year-old Guatemalan girl who died after being detained by the US Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) said he has "no complaints about how Border Patrol agents treated him and his daughter," Guatemalan Consul Tekandi Paniagua told CNN on Saturday.

The consul said the father, Nery Gilberto Caal, told him agents did everything they possibly could to help his daughter, Jakelin Caal Maquin, after she became sick on a a bus. The bus traveled from the Antelope Wells port of entry in New Mexico to a Border Patrol station in Lordsburg, New Mexico, about 90 minutes away. 
She died December 8 in a hospital 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Honest question.  Why are some people so bent out of shape over the number writing thing?  And don't say Nazis, because everyone who's being intellectually honest knows the situations are not similar in the slightest.  This is clearly an attempt to make sure people's asylum claims are handled in order of arrival.  

To me it doesn't seem different than when I'd camp out for concert tickets when I was younger and they'd give me a numbered wristband.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Honest question.  Why are some people so bent out of shape over the number writing thing?  And don't say Nazis, because everyone who's being intellectually honest knows the situations are not similar in the slightest.  This is clearly an attempt to make sure people's asylum claims are handled in order of arrival.  

To me it doesn't seem different than when I'd camp out for concert tickets when I was younger and they'd give me a numbered wristband.

You can't ask an honest question of people whose lives depend on calling others racists and Nazis over anything.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

A numbered wristband is very different from a written number on skin that is similar to concentration camp tattoos. It's a bad look and they shouldn't be doing it precisely because of the historical connotations. 

20 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It is really a weird disconnect hearing from a group of people who believe abortions should be outlawed to protect unborn children, that they have so sympathy/compassion for a child who dies here simply because of their legal status.   Especially when many in that group donate money for missionary work in places like where that child was from   

Armybrat is the only person I know who knew Jesus personally, will have to ask him if Jesus cared or stopped caring about people based on whether they crossed a national border. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Today’s statesman has a quote that captures the honest reality: “in San Saba, we can’t even stand the legal immigration.”

Y’all can continue to lie and say this isn’t about flat-out xenophobia, but nobody with a lick of sense believes you. Nobody.

Something, something, Irish, something.