David Beaty out at Kansas after the season

BigOrange1

in no real order

Lance Leipold

Major Applewite (although he is really not a proven program builder at this point, but the way Houston fans are so regarded towards him I think he will take ANY job to GTFO there)

Josh Highpool

Lane Train Freshwater (this would be a great hire for them)

Mike "I am a man I am 40" Gundy (I think things at OkState are just all fucked up for him now)

Jeff Tedford (dude won games at CAL and has Fresno playing good football again after they fucked up and fired Pat Hill.....Tedford looks 97, but he is only 57)

Paul Chryst (yea yea IK, but people always hire coaches away from UW hahaha)

Matt Wells (he has had some down seasons at Utah State so this is probably lower on the list Vs the above)

desperation hires

Jim McElwain

Bert B.

Seth Laitrell (just has not proven enough Vs. what is available)

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I guess before we speculate on coaches, what kind of money are they willing to pay? 

I don't think they would have fired the guy right now if they were not ready to pay some money to be competitive

if they were willing to stay sucking and being a BB school they could have kept the old AD and fucked off any improvement to football facilities and kept churning through the bargain basement football corches

getting something like 25,000 fans for football (announced so way lower asses in the stands) leaves them probably 30,000 short of where they could be if they were decent even @ $10 dollars a ticket that is $1.8 million they are letting slip by just on tickets much less concessions and parking and @$15 per ticket that is $2.7 million more than enough to pay to bump up a corches pay

and I like Skip Holtz OK as a person (his grandma annoys the shit out of me), but he is right where he belongs right now

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

in no real order

Lance Leipold

Major Applewite (although he is really not a proven program builder at this point, but the way Houston fans are so regarded towards him I think he will take ANY job to GTFO there)

Josh Highpool

Lane Train Freshwater (this would be a great hire for them)

Mike "I am a man I am 40" Gundy (I think things at OkState are just all fucked up for him now)

Jeff Tedford (dude won games at CAL and has Fresno playing good football again after they fucked up and fired Pat Hill.....Tedford looks 97, but he is only 57)

Paul Chryst (yea yea IK, but people always hire coaches away from UW hahaha)

Matt Wells (he has had some down seasons at Utah State so this is probably lower on the list Vs the above)

desperation hires

Jim McElwain

Bert B.

Seth Laitrell (just has not proven enough Vs. what is available)

no matter how bad major hates it at UH (this is also the first i have heard this, but i don't follow that program at all), you have got to think there are better landing spots for him than kansas.

same with gundy and chryst.

i also wouldn't leave ucf for kansas.  

kiffin would be interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Tedford would be a great hire.  zero chance on Gundy 

Tedford should probably be at the top of the list he knows how to recruit to a totally shitty situation (both facilities and the tough academics and a losing history) and he started out on fire at Fresno so he clearly still has the desire

Gundy is probably a long shot, but I would not be shocked at all to see him take another job this year, but the bad news for him is this poor season might scare some of those jobs off

How is Chryst even a consideration? I'm not getting that at all.  Dude bleeds on Wisconsin.  That's as backward a move as I could ever imagine.  Isn't there a stat somewhere that zero power 5 coaches have ever gone to another power 5 or something like that?

I think the rub on Miles is that even in this progressive day people cannot grasp the thought of a coach in a same sex marriage leading a group of young men.

Kiffen would be awesome in the old Big 12

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Tedford should probably be at the top of the list he knows how to recruit to a totally shitty situation (both facilities and the tough academics and a losing history) and he started out on fire at Fresno so he clearly still has the desire

Gundy is probably a long shot, but I would not be shocked at all to see him take another job this year, but the bad news for him is this poor season might scare some of those jobs off

If Gundy were going anywhere I could see him moving up definitely not down. He’s a got a good Long track record of doing more with less.  This year wouldn’t scare me off a bit. 

This is the second best thing to happen to KU football this year. Here is my wish list in no particular order:

miles

kiffin

monken 

navy corch (not even going to try and spell his name)

pelini

i think one of these guys would come. There is a ton of chatter about miles with various schools (Maryland, Missouri potentially, KSU fans want him) I have to believe this is the year he gets back on the sideline. KU would be a natural fit because of our recent success in recruiting Louisiana. I think kiffin is the least likely but I’d love to have him. I think pelini is a long shot because him and tressel seem to be matched for the long haul. I’d jump at the chance to go triple option. 

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

no matter how bad major hates it at UH (this is also the first i have heard this, but i don't follow that program at all), you have got to think there are better landing spots for him than kansas.

same with gundy and chryst.

i also wouldn't leave ucf for kansas.  

kiffin would be interesting. 

it is not that Major hates UH, but their fans hate him......they have an extremely large group of fans (and even a shit headed administration and "BMCoog") that think that UH is some some fucking plateau where fewer than 9 wins means you get fired

and they are going to lose a lot of talent especially on D after this year he needs to GTFO while the getting is good even if to Kansas

he does not make a lot of money there, his buyout is pretty big, but he can still make much better money while taking a pretty low P5 pay rate to make up for the buyout and the alternative is to have fans that are on his ass more and more every year he does not win 10 or 11 games and make it to a NY6 bowl

plus next year will be year 3 of a 5 year $7.5 million contract ($1.5 million per year) and that is generally when most corches get a renewal, but that is probably not going to be how it goes at UH unless he wins 10 or more games next year (doubtful) and they will only owe him $650,000 X 2 after next year because of the fucked up buy out/pay to leave contract he signed

after this year his buyout is $4.5 million plus any buyouts for assistant coaches not retained and that is large, but Major could take $2 to $2.5 million at a P5 school and they would be OK on the buy out and he would start with a fresh 3-4 years to prove himself and probably a full 5 years of payout if fired Vs the shitty deal he has at UH

basically he is in a position where he makes $1.5 million next year and either gets fired and gets $1.3 million, he makes $1.5 million next year and then is retained because he cannot work a new deal and he makes $1.5 million in year 4 and then gets $650,000 if fired

or he takes a risk that he can win 10 or more games at Uh next year and get a contract that does not totally under pay him AND that does not bind him with a ridiculous buyout.....and with their dumb ass administration and tillman ferty in charge of the contract that is not fucking happening even with 10 wins

so at best Major is looking at two more years of $1.5 million and then leaving UH if he can get an offer or getting $650,000 if he gets fired after year 4, winning big next year and being insulted with a dumb ass "tilman" contract or leaving UH, or rolling into year 4 again hoping to win big and not get the "tilman" contract and or leaving UH

and the odds say he is not winning big next year with the turn over on D and the bigger odds say he is not getting a decent contract after next year even if he wins 10 games

his best bet is to GTFO ASAP and get a fresh 5 year contract somewhere else because he is not in a good position at UH

2 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

it is not that Major hates UH, but their fans hate him......they have an extremely large group of fans (and even a shit headed administration and "BMCoog") that think that UH is some some fucking plateau where fewer than 9 wins means you get fired

and they are going to lose a lot of talent especially on D after this year he needs to GTFO while the getting is good even if to Kansas

he does not make a lot of money there, his buyout is pretty big, but he can still make much better money while taking a pretty low P5 pay rate to make up for the buyout and the alternative is to have fans that are on his ass more and more every year he does not win 10 or 11 games and make it to a NY6 bowl

plus next year will be year 3 of a 5 year $7.5 million contract ($1.5 million per year) and that is generally when most corches get a renewal, but that is probably not going to be how it goes at UH unless he wins 10 or more games next year (doubtful) and they will only owe him $650,000 X 2 after next year because of the fucked up buy out/pay to leave contract he signed

after this year his buyout is $4.5 million plus any buyouts for assistant coaches not retained and that is large, but Major could take $2 to $2.5 million at a P5 school and they would be OK on the buy out and he would start with a fresh 3-4 years to prove himself and probably a full 5 years of payout if fired Vs the shitty deal he has at UH

basically he is in a position where he makes $1.5 million next year and either gets fired and gets $1.3 million, he makes $1.5 million next year and then is retained because he cannot work a new deal and he makes $1.5 million in year 4 and then gets $650,000 if fired

or he takes a risk that he can win 10 or more games at Uh next year and get a contract that does not totally under pay him AND that does not bind him with a ridiculous buyout.....and with their dumb ass administration and tillman ferty in charge of the contract that is not fucking happening even with 10 wins

so at best Major is looking at two more years of $1.5 million and then leaving UH if he can get an offer or getting $650,000 if he gets fired after year 4, winning big next year and being insulted with a dumb ass "tilman" contract or leaving UH, or rolling into year 4 again hoping to win big and not get the "tilman" contract and or leaving UH

and the odds say he is not winning big next year with the turn over on D and the bigger odds say he is not getting a decent contract after next year even if he wins 10 games

his best bet is to GTFO ASAP and get a fresh 5 year contract somewhere else because he is not in a good position at UH

don't you think he could do better than kansas though?  even if it's not a P5 job?  

kansas is a coaching graveyard.  

This is the second best thing to happen to KU football this year. Here is my wish list in no particular order:
miles
kiffin
monken 
navy corch (not even going to try and spell his name)
pelini
i think one of these guys would come. There is a ton of chatter about miles with various schools (Maryland, Missouri potentially, KSU fans want him) I have to believe this is the year he gets back on the sideline. KU would be a natural fit because of our recent success in recruiting Louisiana. I think kiffin is the least likely but I’d love to have him. I think pelini is a long shot because him and tressel seem to be matched for the long haul. I’d jump at the chance to go triple option. 

Les Miles at KU would be interesting. Question is could he take second fiddle to basketball which commands most of the attention up there. For lack of a better way to put it, Les Miles is an attention whore. I mean he’s doing Dos Equis commercials vs the commentator roll other former big name coaches usually do.

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

don't you think he could do better than kansas though?  even if it's not a P5 job?  

kansas is a coaching graveyard.  

I think it depends on the openings out there I think he can if the openings are there

BUT with $4.5 million owed for his buyout after this year PLUS and assistant coaches buyouts (Briles probably has some guaranteed cash for sure) that is a big chunk for any team to pay and that will be a consideration

there are some pretty decent candidates out there and with the massive churn last year there are not a ton of premium job openings.....Major is "out of phase" with the premium job openings and going into year 3 next year of a contract with a dumb ass administration and tilman and a low ass buyout if he is fired and a fan base that is not that excited about him he either needs to get shit done in a big way next year or he is probably at best a lame duck year 4 coach

and the reality is as stupid as the UH administration is unless Major wins 10 or more games next year they are probably just as likely to go ahead and fire him and eat the $650,000 X2 as they are to let him corch one more season....and even if he does win 10 or more games next year they are still going to offer him a shitty contract with a massive buyout and they will be butt hurt when he turns it down (unless he is a total dumb ass and takes it) and they will probably be so butt hurt they still fire him even with 10 wins.....now 11 wins maybe not, but it will depend on the quality of those wins

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

BF-

Not that I disagree with any part of your post, however I've no clue why Cougar High thinks that they are a  10-11 win school year in and out.

You seem to have some insight on the UH particulars, could you shed some light on that ascpect?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/11/13909674/rena-khator-fired-coaches-8-and-4-major-applewhite

"The winning is defined at University of Houston as 10 and 2," she told faculty and staff at the annual holiday party at her home. "We'll fire coaches at 8 and 4.”

so that leaves open "nine wins", but again going into year 3 of a 5 year contract if Major is not winning 10 games in year 3 he is probably not getting a new contract and he is probably getting fires since the alternative is have him coach year 4 and hope he gets 10 or more wins (and then only has a $1.5 million plus assistants buy out) or he does not win 10 in year 4 and they fire him and owe him $650,000......or they can just fire him after year 3 and owe him $1.3 million.......so a $650,000 "risk" for them which is not a lot to pay him to go away after next year 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

How is Chryst even a consideration? I'm not getting that at all.  Dude bleeds on Wisconsin.  That's as backward a move as I could ever imagine.  Isn't there a stat somewhere that zero power 5 coaches have ever gone to another power 5 or something like that?

I think the rub on Miles is that even in this progressive day people cannot grasp the thought of a coach in a same sex marriage leading a group of young men.

Kiffen would be awesome in the old Big 12

Off the top of my head i can name Dan Mullen from last year, so I'm gonna say no.

Edit-Bielema and Richt are two more recent examples.

Edited by Blotto

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Thanks but that still doesn't clarify why the schools president or cougar fan would feel that way... Regarded?

yes regarded little brother syndrome

their fans are still too stupid to realize that 75% of their 20 seasons in the SWC SWC SWC they totally sucked cocks they still believe they "DoMiNaTeD" the SWC because they had a few good seasons when they first got in the conference and then they had those 3 years late in their history in the conference (followed by 5 seasons where they won something like 15 games total)

and they are still too stupid to understand that their administration, facilities, budget, fan support, and and their teams were total dog shit when the SWC SWC SWC broke up and they still think they deserved the Texas Tech or especially the Baylor spot (although their fans really have a hard on for Tech for whatever reason)

they also think that "UT was scared to let them come to the Big 12 because they would "DoMiNaTe" again" and that is why they did not get ask to the Big 12 just recently

they are one of those programs that thinks it is impressive to tell everyone how good their fan support and budget would be if they just got in a better conference and "their fans" were coming to see UH play better teams.....not realizing the regardedness of basically saying that "your fans" only show up to see others play not strictly to see "their team" no matter who they play

I think that as much as anything is why no teams were ask to join the Big 12 last time because they all tried to sell "what will happen once we are in the conference" Vs selling  what they actually ADD to the conference

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Off the top of my head i can name Dan Mullen from last year, so I'm gonna say no.

Edit-Bielema and Richt are two more recent examples.

Richt was fired, that's not how any of this works

Edited by mulletpelini
other 2 are legit though. I think the stat was that it doesn't happen often, zero was a bit too absolute