2018 midterm gameday thread

Zonahorn

It’s amazing that we still don’t have a reasonable method of voting and getting those votes counted in a lot of states. The shitty system of voting causes the lack of trust issues which just keep compounding. It should be the same system across all states with the same rules in each. It’s not that complicated. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Again: those machines were sequestered by a judge as part of a federal lawsuit and could not be deployed. This has been reported in multiple places.

When these are your “facts” then it undermines any legitimate case you are trying to build.

That's not true.  The court required that a sufficient number of machines be sequestered to provide a representative sample.  The court did not set forth a number, and the hundreds of machines sequestered seems to be a bit of an overkill.

I would like to hear from a statistics expert to know how many machines would provide a representative sample.  I suspect it's 100-200.

• Like 1

So send UN observers in to watch the Broward count. Problem solved. Scott wants to go in with shredders. If he doesn't trust the county and the county doesn't trust the state, you need a 3rd party. Consistently, its the GOP who fights poll observers. 

AZ is worse in my opinion. Trying to call a super close race with 500,000 votes outstanding is some shady shit. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's not true.  The court required that a sufficient number of machines be sequestered to provide a representative sample.  The court did not set forth a number, and the hundreds of machines sequestered seems to be a bit of an overkill.

I would like to hear from a statistics expert to know how many machines would provide a representative sample.  I suspect it's 100-200.

Depends on all kinds of factors, but something around 400 for the entire state would have been sufficient.

@Brew

1) It's VERY complicated  Do you even State's rights bro?

2) The old adage in the past was that the sheer diversity of systems prevents large scale shenanigans...  I'm not sure that is still true with the $$ spent on elections, technology/data,  and the stage of international actors

As critical as I was/am about the Broward elections machines/process, the fact that MY paper ballot is captured gives me some reassurance that recounts or a manual count will have a real physical record that will be hard to tamper with on a large scale.  If you go digital, then it's just 1&0s and highly susceptible to massive manipulation.

The real problem here is the Jim Crow-esque policies in Red States to suppress the vote and induce doubt into the voting process.  Voter fraud is incredibly rare but provides a good bogey man.

They are the ones underfunding the whole process hoping to suppress votes and violate people's right to vote.

Christ's comments make me feel like he is the one who wants to not count my vote...  fuck him and everyone like him.  I get a vote and I vote, count it motherfucker

Edited by Loco

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

So many experts on this thread.

One of my good friends, Matt Caldwell (R), ran for Ag Commissioner here in Florida.  He won the race by about 50,000 votes.  Guy traveled 100,000 miles, speaking to people in every county multiple times.  Works his ass off and is a stand up guy. 

But then, suddenly, more votes were found and his lead was down to 41,000.  And then suddenly, more votes were found and it was down to 20,000.  

And now, suddenly, more votes have been found.  And he's now losing the race by 501 votes.  Where did most of those votes come from?  Broward County.

You guys can mock the GOP all you want.  Say what you want about DeSantis and Scott, as though any of you know them, or have any association with them, outside of what you read.  Go ahead and pretend that voter fraud is a one-sided affair.  

But I'd hate to see a good man lose an election in a shady manner like this.

Fuck off!  Counting all the votes is shady...  enjoy your bag o dicks

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

AZ is worse in my opinion. Trying to call a super close race with 500,000 votes outstanding is some shady shit. 

Has anyone even tried to call AZ?  I'd just no one can until the vote dump today, depending on how many of the 500k are left.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The GOP was trying to call it and is suing to stop ballot validation after election day. 

Oh, well that's not a surprise.  I thought you meant the AP or NYT or someone tried to "call it."

Of course the GOP was calling it a win.  Now it's fraudulent because Sinema is in the lead; so NOW they want the votes counted because they think there's enough outstanding to put her back in the lead.

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

One of my good friends, Matt Caldwell (R), ran for Ag Commissioner here in Florida.  He won the race by about 50,000 votes.  Guy traveled 100,000 miles, speaking to people in every county multiple times.  Works his ass off and is a stand up guy. 

But then, suddenly, more votes were found and his lead was down to 41,000.  And then suddenly, more votes were found and it was down to 20,000.  

And now, suddenly, more votes have been found.  And he's now losing the race by 501 votes.  Where did most of those votes come from?  Broward County.

You guys can mock the GOP all you want.  Say what you want about DeSantis and Scott, as though any of you know them, or have any association with them, outside of what you read.  Go ahead and pretend that voter fraud is a one-sided affair.  

The ballots aren't "found," they were always there. They just haven't been counted yet. Your friend being a good man or hard worker is completely irrelevant. All votes submitted should be counted. Period. And, if he were truly a good man, he would understand that "winning" without counting all the votes isn't really winning or even an election.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Loco said:

@Brew

1) It's VERY complicated  Do you even State's rights bro?

2) The old adage in the past was that the sheer diversity of systems prevents large scale shenanigans...  I'm not sure that is still true with the $$ spent on elections, technology/data,  and the stage of international actors

As critical as I was/am about the Broward elections machines/process, the fact that MY paper ballot is captured gives me some reassurance that recounts or a manual count will have a real physical record that will be hard to tamper with on a large scale.  If you go digital, then it's just 1&0s and highly susceptible to massive manipulation.

The real problem here is the Jim Crow-esque policies in Red States to suppress the vote and induce doubt into the voting process.  Voter fraud is incredibly rare but provides a good bogey man.

They are the ones underfunding the whole process hoping to suppress votes and violate people's right to vote.

Christ's comments make me feel like he is the one who wants to not count my vote...  fuck him and everyone like him.  I get a vote and I vote, count it motherfucker

State’s rights should have jack to do with the actual process of voting and counting the votes especially when there are national races/implications like we have with a presidential race. I’m not advocating for an electronic system, paper system, etc just a system. Open/close the same times, early vote the same times, etc so that every voter has the same opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

State’s rights should have jack to do with the actual process of voting and counting the votes especially when there are national races/implications like we have with a presidential race. I’m not advocating for an electronic system, paper system, etc just a system. Open/close the same times, early vote the same times, etc so that every voter has the same opportunity.

I think we should avoid a completely national system to avoid the potential of the type of shenanigans we've seen being done nationwide. That said, national minimum standards (that states can exceed) seems like a great idea. 

Also, I can already tell how this is going to play out.

Sinema wins - maybe she eeks out a 0.5 - 1.5% win.  GOP cries foul but concedes.

Kyl steps down as interim Senator in January.  Ducey appoints McSally to serve until November 2020.  Everyone wins? 

Then we beat her ass in November 2020.  Mark Kelly, please pick up the white courtesy phone.  Krazy Kelli Ward will primary McSally too because "she's a loser who lost to a Democrat, she shouldn't be in the Senate because she's a loser."

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

You would be bitching to high hell if Broward County was solidly R and your candidate was behind.  Florida spent an extra 38 days in 2000 to get a count "right".    And now the GOP is against "counting".  So fuck off with your righteous indignation.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Again: those machines were sequestered by a judge as part of a federal lawsuit and could not be deployed. This has been reported in multiple places.

When these are your “facts” then it undermines any legitimate case you are trying to build.

Once again, you are not looking at the entirety of the argument and instead trying to justify what's happening in Georgia. 

You're correct those machines weren't deployed because they were part of a lawsuit.  What you're failing to mention is the following:

From https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/brian-kemps-lead-over-stacey-abrams-narrows-amid-voting-complaints-in-georgia-governors-race/2018/11/07/39cf25f2-e2b7-11e8-b759-3d88a5ce9e19_story.html?utm_term=.e6e35354f998

Another problem was the limited number of voting machines in some locations. More than 1,800 machines sat idle in storage in three of the state’s largest and most heavily Democratic counties. In Fulton County, according to figures provided by elections director Rick Barron, the ratio of machines to registered voters was lower than it had been in 2014, despite predictions that turnout was likely to break records for a midterm election.

While some voters waited in hours-long lines in Fulton County, 700 of those machines sat in stacks in a warehouse in downtown Atlanta, Barron said. The machines were sidelined because they are evidence in a lawsuit alleging the equipment had been exposed to the threat of hacking in 2016.

The federal judge in the case had ordered state and local election officials — including Kemp — and the plaintiffs to weigh the demands of upcoming elections in deciding how many machines to set aside.

n an interview, Barron said more machines “would have made a huge impact on operations yesterday” and acknowledged that “it would have been a good idea” to push for the use of more machines before Election Day.

“The lines were long in the morning and we just didn’t have any machines to throw out there,” he said.

Broce, too, said additional machines “would have really helped with the long lines.”

She blamed the litigation for tying up those machines. One attorney for the plaintiffs, Bruce Brown, called that “rubbish” and said officials could have sequestered fewer machines, or later decided to put some back into service.

Daniel White, an attorney representing Cobb and DeKalb counties, said both counties kept more machines out of circulation Tuesday than required by the judge “out of an abundance of caution” that they were complying with the spirit of the court agreement.

White said he suspected the sequestered machines contributed to long lines at his polling place Tuesday. At a school in Marietta, where White said he usually sees eight to 12 machines, he saw just five or six.

Tuesday’s ballot was long, with five constitutional amendments across the state and additional measures in select locations.

One precinct near Pittman Park in downtown Atlanta started the day with just three machines, despite a registered voter roll of more than 3,000. Similar equipment problems were reported elsewhere in Fulton County and in three other large counties of the Atlanta metro area — Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett.

So the judge stated that it was Kemp's office who needed to decide how many of those machines that were idle should have been deployed when looking at the demand (aka how many voters) of the election.  

So no, I'm not undermining my argument at all.  I'm not even sure where you're getting that idea. 

You are the one trying to argue that Kemp's office is in the right.  They knew what they were doing. The machines were set aside because of the 2016 election, and then all of a sudden before midterms, this lawsuit hasn't been settled so voters have access?  Especially in mostly the Democratic areas of GA?

Fuck outta here with that. 

Now they are trying to place blame on the county offices themselves. 

• Like 3

One of my good friends, Matt Caldwell ®, ran for Ag Commissioner here in Florida.  He won the race by about 50,000 votes.  Guy traveled 100,000 miles, speaking to people in every county multiple times.  Works his ass off and is a stand up guy. 

Well this settles it. This guy supposedly knows the candidate for ag commisioner and there is an R by his name. Stop counting!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Could republicans be any more whiny and fucking shysters

1 hour ago, Gengs1 said:

Good men like Scott who oversaw the largest Medicare fraud in US history, nah can’t be about him 

Where did I call Scott a good man?  Go fuck yourself.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Counting all the votes is not voter fraud.  Please FUCK OFF with this narrative that counting outstanding votes is shady/unethical.  Suing to STOP votes being counted (looking at you, Arizona GOP) should be illegal.

Good men don't win elections just because they worked their ass off and are good men.  Beto went to all 254 counties in Texas, harded 100x harder than slimy sack of shit Ted Cruz and lost. 

And GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE with the idea that you have any fucking clue about what goes on in Broward County.  

37 minutes ago, Brew said:

I disagree with your first sentence.  However, throw in mandatory normalized redistricting for all states and I'm in.

Agree on the second sentence.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

And GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE with the idea that you have any fucking clue about what goes on in Broward County.  

is there a good man who you can vouch for who will give us the inside scoops

Just now, Ghost of Shag said:

Again, how do we know he was a good man?

why are you against counting votes? So your friend got 100k votes and said fuck it, we got this, don’t worry about the rest of those suckers 

1 hour ago, Zombie said:
One of my good friends, Matt Caldwell ®, ran for Ag Commissioner here in Florida.  He won the race by about 50,000 votes.  Guy traveled 100,000 miles, speaking to people in every county multiple times.  Works his ass off and is a stand up guy. 

Read more  

I don't understand what you're saying. Are saying those are not legitimate votes? If so, what's the basis for that accusation? Assuming those are legitimate votes,why should they not be counted? You want you're friend to win despite not being the choice of the majority of voters? Bizarre.

Hell no they're not legitimate votes.  You think Broward county decided to hold a bunch of votes back, on purpose? 

Or did a rogue Republican sneak in and stash them all in a closet somewhere?  

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

So how many years have you lived in Broward?  I've lived here since '85 I think his post is spot on correct.

You want to come at me with some Broward knowledge smack?  I'll fuck you up with some R Donuts trivia

• Like 2

Hell no they're not legitimate votes.  You think Broward county decided to hold a bunch of votes back, on purpose? 

Or did a rogue Republican sneak in and stash them all in a closet somewhere?  

What is the evidence that they are not legitimate votes? It should be presented immediately to the authorities, the press, and the people.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

What is the evidence that they are not legitimate votes? It should be presented immediately to the authorities, the press, and the people.

His friend, a good man, thinks so. What else do you need?!! You don't know anything about Broward County, obviously!

I don't see what's so outrageous about calling him a good man.  I've known him for thirteen years.  We've worked together, socialized together...he's a good guy.

But you'd all rather assume he's a bastard because he's a Republican, and that if there's voter fraud, it must obviously because of the Republicans. 

Fuck yourselves.  You'll get six more years of Trump and like it.  

I don't see what's so outrageous about calling him a good man.  I've known him for thirteen years.  We've worked together, socialized together...he's a good guy.

But you'd all rather assume he's a bastard because he's a Republican, and that if there's voter fraud, it must obviously because of the Republicans. 

What's him being a good man have anything to do with votes being counted?  Or...because he is a good man, the election is over with, even if all the votes have not been counted?

Who said calling him a good man is outrageous?

Who called him a bastard?

You should stop thinking with your feelings and address the things that have actually been said and asked. So I ask again, what is the evidence that the votes are fraudulent? It should be presented and publicized immediately.

This has literally nothing to do with anything, and no one has criticized your friend, merely your lack of logic.

Cochise County just updated the majority of their outstanding votes - 4,021 out of about 4,700.  McSally only cuts into Sinema's lead by 447.  Pre-update, Cochise was +22 for McSally.  Post-update, Cochise is now +11 for McSally.  Woof.  This was supposedly one of her good counties.

My calculation would have had her cutting ~865 votes off McSally's lead based on the percentage she had pre-update.  She underperformed that by half.

Edited by Js1

10 hours ago, JustBecause said:

It’s  Broward County which is corrupt AF. 

No shit.  Snipes is a disgrace and Broward has historically been an election day nightmare.  Snipes has destroyed ballots in the past and overseen the opening of absentee ballots in secret and kept her job shockingly.  Have a recount if you want.  The state requires reporting of all absentee and early voting counts 30 minutes after the polls close.  How long after the polls close are they still reporting ballots? 3 now?  Without a count of how many are left or where they are stored or coming from...they could be legitimate but based upon the incompetence and corrupt nature of the officials in charge, it doesnt look good. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Somebody mad and whiny

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Cochise County just updated the majority of their outstanding votes - 4,021 out of about 4,700.  McSally only cuts into Sinema's lead by 447.  Pre-update, Cochise was +22 for McSally.  Post-update, Cochise is now +11 for McSally.  Woof.  This was supposedly one of her good counties.

McSally cut into the lead by 447 but the update was a net +11 for Sinema? I'm assuming that's percentage points, not votes?

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Who said calling him a good man is outrageous?

Who called him a bastard?

You should stop thinking with your feelings and address the things that have actually been said and asked. So I ask again, what is the evidence that the votes are fraudulent? It should be presented and publicized immediately.

Half the responses on here are mocking the fact that I called him a good man.  Are we that cynical?  If you said you knew someone personally and he's a good guy, I'd take your word for it.  Why would you lie about it?  Perhaps I'm too trusting, but that's my nature.  

Broward County is crucial to any democrat winning in Florida.  Of the votes they're counting on, that area is a necessity.  The leaders in that county know it.  Everyone knows it. 

So how the hell do they wind up with a 60,000 ballots that suddenly "weren't counted?"

Miami-Dade did 810,000 ballots in four hours just fine.   

Broward did 700,000...and they're still doing them.  And still finding them.  

So are we dealing with absolute incompetence, or are we dealing with fraud?  

Edited by Ghost of Shag

Come to whine about election. Get called on not having any evidence to support your claim. Double down on tantrum without offering evidence. But remember folks, the libtards are the snowflakes.

No one is really challenging your friend's character. What is being challenged, correctly I might add, is the idea that him being a good man means he should be handed the election with votes left to be counted. Thst is ridiculous and undemocratic. You allege misconduct but provide no evidence - meanwhile, the only existing evidence is the pattern of the GOP attempting to curb access to the ballot, and now counting of ballots, nationwide. A rational observer is not able to come to any conclusion except that you are full of shit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2