2018 midterm gameday thread

Zonahorn

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

I still think GA is quixotic for Dems at this juncture.

Yes, BUT, you have so few territories to defend, might as well expand your offense a little.  Can't just play in ME, IA NC and CO.  Gotta reach out a bit into MT, GA, maybe SC and KY and really force Republicans to spend money to hold their seats.

Democrats did that this year - yes, they had a lot to defend, but they pumped so much money into Texas, which forced the GOP to play defense and then they let 2 seats slip out of their hands.

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes, BUT, you have so few territories to defend, might as well expand your offense a little.  Can't just play in ME, IA NC and CO.  Gotta reach out a bit into MT, GA, maybe SC and KY and really force Republicans to spend money to hold their seats.

Democrats did that this year - yes, they had a lot to defend, but they pumped so much money into Texas, which forced the GOP to play defense and then they let 2 seats slip out of their hands.

I mean, if the cash is there, by all means. I'd go on as much of an offensive as possible.

2 minutes ago, thepop said:

Is the runoff even confirmed to happen?

There IS a run-off for SOS, for sure.   Ideally, Democrats turn out in anger to prevent more voter suppression 2 years from now by electing a Democrat to that office. 

Edited by Js1

What's so funny here is that Scott as been sued so many times over FOIA requests he has ignored.   

What's the play here?   The election supervisor is ordered to provide information she may not have yet... sounds legit

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Santa Cruz and Yavapai posted.  +8256 lead for Sinema.  Santa Cruz moved it further in Sinema's favor, Yavapai moved it back.  Less than 100 vote swing towards McSally.   McSally is not getting any swings in her favor from the counties she wants.  Especially with Pima, Maricopa and Coconino out.

Apache posted.  This batch was actually 11 points more favorable to McSally than the county vote up to that time (+24 in the batch compared to +35 overall). Yet Sinema adds to her lead.

+8842

That was about 2400 votes.  There's now about 449k left, of which ~76% are in Maricopa.  We are T minus 3 hours until the BIG Maricopa dump.  Outside of Maricopa, nearly 40% of that 104k are sitting in Coconino and Pima, which are super D-friendly.

Edited by Js1

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

as I understand it, they have to disclose how many total ballots they have, from where they originated, and how many remain uncounted. 

"Yeah judge, we've got a shitload of ballots, they're from Broward, and I figure most of 'em are uncounted."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I didn't know it was Mitch McConnell up in KY. I'd make a play for that too. There are real angles to attack there - healthcare, tax cut, etc. that will play well in KY. It isn't like McConnell is charismatic or has an army of enthusiastic supporters - he is the definition of establishment/elite. Just picturing him campaigning is lulzy. A win? Probably not, but at least you make the majority leader sweat and sideline him nationally. Maybe you shock the world and take him down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I didn't know it was Mitch McConnell up in KY. I'd make a play for that too. There are real angles to attack there - healthcare, tax cut, etc. that will play well in KY. It isn't like McConnell is charismatic or has an army of enthusiastic supporters - he is the definition of establishment/elite. Just picturing him campaigning is lulzy. A win? Probably not, but at least you make the majority leader sweat and sideline him nationally. Maybe you shock the world and take him down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I dunno if there's anyone worth it.  Amy McGrath?  Honestly, everything with this race is on hold because there's a 2019 Governor race.

Republican Gov. Rick Scott was granted immediate inspection of the most current information on the amount of ballots, both already cast and those still to be counted, by a judge in Florida Friday afternoon after filing suit against the election supervisor in Broward County.

Interested in Midterm Elections?

Add Midterm Elections as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Midterm Elections news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
Add Interest

On Friday afternoon, Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips of the 17th Judicial Circuit of Florida said the information should be made available by 7 p.m.

“It should be there, it should not slow down the proceedings, it should be a matter of record at this point,” Phillips ruled.

Scott’s campaign and the NRSC will also have access to those ballots, per the judge’s ruling. Scott, who's in the midst of a tight race against incumbent Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, filed an emergency complaint to enforce Florida's public records act late Thursday night against Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes.

A razor-thin margin in the votes cast in the divided state has Florida gearing up for recountsin both the gubernatorial and senate races. Nelson has not yet conceded to Scott, who currently leads by less than 0.2 percent with ballots across the state still uncounted.

State rules mandate a recount if the margin is less than 0.5 percent, which looks entirely possible.

Two Democratic-leaning counties, Broward County and Palm Beach County, haven’t completed counting mail-in ballots — and one of them hasn’t finished counting early ballots, either. Many more counties continue to count provisional ballots. A recount could come as early as Saturday.

PHOTO: Florida Governor Rick Scott addresses the Chiefs of Police (IACP) annual convention at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla., Oct. 8, 2018.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
Florida Governor Rick Scott addresses the Chiefs of Police (IACP) annual convention at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla., Oct. 8, 2018.more +

Scott carried a larger lead Tuesday night, but continues to see it dissipate as more votes come in. Scott has responded by accusing county election supervisors Snipes and Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Susan Bucher of corruption.

PHOTO: Florida Governor Rick Scott addresses the Chiefs of Police (IACP) annual convention at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla., Oct. 8, 2018.Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images
Florida Governor Rick Scott addresses the Chiefs of Police (IACP) annual convention at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla., Oct. 8, 2018.more +

Scott is backed by support from the president, the GOP and Florida’s Senator Marco Rubio  26K people are talking about this

A win for Republicans in Florida’s senate race would only add to the stinging loss of three key Senate seats on Tuesday night in Indiana, North Dakota and Missouri, which are all states where Democratic senators faced re-election in states Trump won in 2016. But in Florida, where incumbent Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson is awaiting results against Republican challenger Gov. Rick Scott, Trump narrowly won the state by less than 1.5 percentage points.

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Republican Gov. Rick Scott was granted immediate inspection of the most current information on the amount of ballots, both already cast and those still to be counted, by a judge in Florida Friday afternoon after filing suit against the election supervisor in Broward County.

Interested in Midterm Elections?

Add Midterm Elections as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Midterm Elections news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
Add Interest

On Friday afternoon, Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips of the 17th Judicial Circuit of Florida said the information should be made available by 7 p.m.

“It should be there, it should not slow down the proceedings, it should be a matter of record at this point,” Phillips ruled.

Scott’s campaign and the NRSC will also have access to those ballots, per the judge’s ruling. Scott, who's in the midst of a tight race against incumbent Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, filed an emergency complaint to enforce Florida's public records act late Thursday night against Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes.

A razor-thin margin in the votes cast in the divided state has Florida gearing up for recountsin both the gubernatorial and senate races. Nelson has not yet conceded to Scott, who currently leads by less than 0.2 percent with ballots across the state still uncounted.

State rules mandate a recount if the margin is less than 0.5 percent, which looks entirely possible.

Two Democratic-leaning counties, Broward County and Palm Beach County, haven’t completed counting mail-in ballots — and one of them hasn’t finished counting early ballots, either. Many more counties continue to count provisional ballots. A recount could come as early as Saturday.

Scott carried a larger lead Tuesday night, but continues to see it dissipate as more votes come in. Scott has responded by accusing county election supervisors Snipes and Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Susan Bucher of corruption.

Scott is backed by support from the president, the GOP and Florida’s Senator Marco Rubio  26K people are talking about this

A win for Republicans in Florida’s senate race would only add to the stinging loss of three key Senate seats on Tuesday night in Indiana, North Dakota and Missouri, which are all states where Democratic senators faced re-election in states Trump won in 2016. But in Florida, where incumbent Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson is awaiting results against Republican challenger Gov. Rick Scott, Trump narrowly won the state by less than 1.5 percentage points.

I really hate that  shady / ugly fucker. I can’t believe Floridians keep voting for him!  What a messed up state.

Just now, Loco said:

This is the shit the election board has to deal with....

lulz [conspiracy intensifies]

I want the job of reviewing those.

"Fuck this idiot. And fuck this idiot in particular. *tosses ballots in trash*"

I mean, seriously. Get it together, Florida.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly how I would hand review ballots.

"You're fucking dumb, you don't get your vote to count. Thank u, next."

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

One thing all of this is revealing is that the Republican Party and Donald Trump understand that they got their teeth kicked in on Tuesday.

Not entirely.

i was expecting the Dems to win Iowa, Ohio, and Florida Governor races and it didn’t happen. I didn’t think Donnelly, mccaskill, and bredesen would get totally wiped out. Beto still lost. The GOP still beat us in some races that really hurt.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Right. I think most of us are objectively OK tossing that ballot, but if there is a box full of ballots that hasn't been reviewed, it needs to be reviewed.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

Just now, Voldemort86 said:

Not entirely.

i was expecting the Dems to win Iowa, Ohio, and Florida Governor races and it didn’t happen. I didn’t think Donnelly, mccaskill, and bredesen would get totally wiped out. Beto still lost. The GOP still beat us in some races that really hurt.

Ohio's red, bro.  They're done..... like Indiana.  Too many uneducated white people.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

"Yeah judge, we've got a shitload of ballots, they're from Broward, and I figure most of 'em are uncounted."

Judge: And ma'am how many remain uncounted? 

Broward Official: I don't know your honor, we haven't counted them yet. That's kinda the reason we're having this conversation, ain't it? 

Pinal posted 7,000 votes.  This was supposed to be a really good McSally county.  There's 20,000 early and 6,800 provisional left here.  Next update tomorrow

Pinal was a +14R county.  This new batch was only +3R.   These new batches are roughly 8 points more Democratic than the overall posted totals.

Essential no change in Sinema's lead - just a shade over 9k after another update from Santa Cruz (super small).

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Not entirely.

They got their asses kicked. That's why they are responding this way.

Ain't gonna be enough for them

Arizona Republicans and Democrats have agreed to give rural voters an extra chance to fix problems with their ballots in the count of the state’s tight Senate race.

That’s a compromise after Republicans filed a lawsuit seeking to stop urban voters from using those procedures. The settlement was announced in a Phoenix courtroom Friday afternoon.

The counties have until Nov. 14 to address the issue.

The Republican lawsuit alleged that the state’s county recorders don’t follow a uniform standard for allowing voters to address problems with their mail-in ballots, and that Maricopa and Pima counties improperly allow the fixes for up to five days after Election Day.

That's not true.  The court required that a sufficient number of machines be sequestered to provide a representative sample.  The court did not set forth a number, and the hundreds of machines sequestered seems to be a bit of an overkill.
I would like to hear from a statistics expert to know how many machines would provide a representative sample.  I suspect it's 100-200.

I would like to hear from that expert too. Let me know what you find.

I didn’t see any details on it, but one report I read seemed to indicate that all machines of a certain flavor (maybe make, model, age) were sequestered due to their potential risk. However that was an assumption by me and could be incorrect.

So the judge stated that it was Kemp's office who needed to decide how many of those machines that were idle should have been deployed when looking at the demand (aka how many voters) of the election.  

So no, I'm not undermining my argument at all.  I'm not even sure where you're getting that idea. 
You are the one trying to argue that Kemp's office is in the right.  They knew what they were doing. The machines were set aside because of the 2016 election, and then all of a sudden before midterms, this lawsuit hasn't been settled so voters have access?  Especially in mostly the Democratic areas of GA?
Fuck outta here with that. 
Now they are trying to place blame on the county offices themselves. 

“Kemp suppressed the minority vote!”

“So many minorities voted that there should have been more voting machines!”

That was a joke btw. Don’t blow a gasket.

I will keep watching and I will be interested in the results of any lawsuits. I’m primarily concerned with the facts. It may surprise you to learn that I did not vote for Kemp.

I also don’t believe you have to hate the person you’re voting against.

So far what I have seen is notions of voter suppression pushed by anti-Kemp and anti-GOP outlets, coupled with a handful of anecdotes. Most of them are just referring to the same handful of articles in somewhat circular fashion.

I think Abrams ran a helluva campaign and got out the vote in spectacular fashion, but lost. Someone had to lose. I think that what she’s doing now is just perpetuating the outrage machine. From what I’ve read there are not enough votes left to count to create a runoff.

Lol at Trump bitching about stolen elections in red States the fucking GOP controls.

Urban centers and dense population rich counties fucking hate you, Donald. You lost the popular vote in the 2016 election and the electoral college was both rigged and functionally obsolete.

You are an illegimate president and your power and influence is nil. You are a lame duck and you're headed for prison.

The whole world is laughing at you.

My advice is to "delete your account", and vanish.

58 minutes ago, Loco said:

This is the shit the election board has to deal with....

lulz [conspiracy intensifies]

Btw, if you’ve been around old people completing forms, you see this happen with everything.   They scratch or overwrite things all the time and assume the person on the other end will understand or call if they don’t.    Old people may vote a lot but I bet many of their votes are also lost to not being able to vote correctly.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Saw some noise that Sessions would want to possibly run for his old seat.  Just can't see that happening, for any serious candidates for a senate seat in 2020 is going to have to suck Trump's cock in public....and I just don't believe ole' Jeff will stoop that low.

Then again, Cruz did.  But he might also be a psychopath.

Trump won’t be a factor for Sessions in Alabama.