2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

1972:  "Winter".

2019:  Mass Extinction Event!!11!!!:

Yeah - I really do hate how the national media terrorizes the weather. Somebody should unplug the map app that allows them to show that a storm is going to affect 200 million people, guess what, it is just rain, snow, and wind.
The impact to me is I get up about 15 minutes early to shovel drive and brush off the car, and if its is really bad I might be a few minutes late to work....in the winter.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Snow just keeps piling up.  At least it isn't bitterly cold.  Years like this, I wish I still my old sled.

High Plains, here.  Bitterly cold, but at least it's not snowing.  Wish it were vice versa like you.  Looks like snow is coming this weekend, though.  My phone isn't backing off of the 6-7" forecast.  Calving left and right, too.  Poor little buggers.

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

High Plains, here.  Bitterly cold, but at least it's not snowing.  Wish it were vice versa like you.  Looks like snow is coming this weekend, though.  My phone isn't backing off of the 6-7" forecast.  Calving left and right, too.  Poor little buggers.

Guys are starting to calve around here too.  We'll get some single digit blasts here and there yet, but highs are looking pretty consistently in the 20's and 30's with a cold snap into the 10'/single digits next week, before moving into the 40's the second week of March (which is below seasonal, but not horrific).

10 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife’s best friend just called because she broke her arm taking the trash out to the curb. She put on her husband’s snow boots because it’s snowing, and one end of the untied lace got caught in the door as she shut it behind her...and down she went. 

Yikes.  Very easy to see this happening.  When I run out to start cars in the morning, I usually throw on my winter boots with the laces untied.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1” of snow/ice mix tomorrow night, rain Saturday AM, 5-8” of snow Saturday night.
There is a literal snow wall between my driveway and the neighbor’s.
One of our local weather guys said on Sunday that iowa is in the crosshairs of a historic blizzard. We're supposed to see a ground blizzard sunday on the outside edge of your blizzard. Load up on steaks and beer on Saturday is my advice

We got 6" of snow on later Monday-early Tuesday.  I shoveled and did the snow blower thing.  We got 2 inches yesterday, and we are especting another 4 inches by mid-morning tomorrow.  It's gotten to the point that I don't want to mess with clearing 2 inches when there's another 4 inches just around the corner.  Some might call me lazy, but prefer to think of myself as efficient.  Besides, I have more sidewalk and driveway than most people.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:
1” of snow/ice mix tomorrow night, rain Saturday AM, 5-8” of snow Saturday night.
There is a literal snow wall between my driveway and the neighbor’s.

One of our local weather guys said on Sunday that iowa is in the crosshairs of a historic blizzard. We're supposed to see a ground blizzard sunday on the outside edge of your blizzard. Load up on steaks and beer on Saturday is my advice

It's supposed to be horrific winds too, I guess.  My only concern is losing power if we get bad ice.

We got 6" of snow on later Monday-early Tuesday.  I shoveled and did the snow blower thing.  We got 2 inches yesterday, and we are especting another 4 inches by mid-morning tomorrow.  It's gotten to the point that I don't want to mess with clearing 2 inches when there's another 4 inches just around the corner.  Some might call me lazy, but prefer to think of myself as efficient.  Besides, I have more sidewalk and driveway than most people.
I've given up getting my driveway to concrete just to have it snow 2 days later. Fuck it. Compacted shit it is until July when it melts