2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Similar to that Niagara wind blown ice, a buddy of mine lives outside of Toledo and was trying to explain an "ice jam" to me.  At first, I thought it was a winter concert or something you put on toast.  I had never heard of it.  I was trying to understand the physics behind it.  Pretty wicked stuff.  Evidently, this one was the worst in 50+ years for Northwest Ohio.

Update:

Looks like that front is going to slip down and skirt us tomorrow, so yeah you'll notice a pretty decent temp change.  High will be in mid-50's.  Not too bad but definitely chilly.

Then it backs up and Friday it's going to be near 80°.  Get your shit done Friday because then we're in for that pretty cold spell at least thru next Wednesday.  Saturday will be fair, temps might hit about 60° but will start dropping by evening (however I think the LSU game will end before the brunt of the front, so maybe that game will be easy to sit at) and each day through next Tuesday will be a little colder than the previous... Sun-Tues it'll stay in the 40's, maybe even low 40's.  Overnights Sun and Mon will definitely be freezing most of the area, not a hard one but certainly in the high 20's for most of our outskirts.

March is saying fuck spring at the start.

Edited by phdhorn

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Almost 3" last night, I shoveled this morning, it was abut 16°, so not too cold .... I'm 60, I'm a man {channeling my inner Gundy}

I would be tempted to just drive over 3" at this point.  Our extended forecast is showing temps above freezing.

'Nother update, some small differences
Slight changes now:
1) this front colder than thought, proally won't make 50° areawide today
2) Friday warmer, but not as warm as first forecast - probably high 60's
3) Weekend front taking its time, now Saturday looks pretty good! Warm, high 60's.  (LSU series should be pleasant to watch Fri-Sat but nope, not Sun.)
4) Front now coming in Sunday a.m.  Sunday still be a cold day, and not just in hell.  40's.
5) Cold air now colder than thought, 40's Mon-Tues but 2 freezes overnight in a row (Sun-Mon and Mon-Tues).  Monday overnight a hard freeze in a lot of places.  Bring in your kids overnight.

More later.

Seems like this has been a difficult week for weather forecasters.  This front today has gone from non-existent to highs in the 40's.  Seriously, a few days ago, one of the TV stations showed highs in the 80's today and tomorrow.

But the front next week has always looked strong.  Usually when they show a freeze 6 days out, you can plan for 50's.  But they've been steady with this one.

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Seems like this has been a difficult week for weather forecasters.  This front today has gone from non-existent to highs in the 40's.  Seriously, a few days ago, one of the TV stations showed highs in the 80's today and tomorrow.

But the front next week has always looked strong.  Usually when they show a freeze 6 days out, you can plan for 50's.  But they've been steady with this one.

You're right, and I talked about the reason why, posted a few pages back:

(you can click on the title by my avatar to review it)

Basically, El Niño has strong Subtropical Jet SW→NE mid-level flow, actually helps to push polar fronts away from us, and those that make it either get eroded under that stream of powerful air to last quickly or not really even make it down here.  Although the really cold cold front will make it here this weekend, that Jet has resisted its push and slowed it down by a full day now.

So although El Niño has a reputation for "cooler" winters, which is true, its mostly due to the cloudiness under the strong Subtropical jet keeping the sun blocked and slightly cooler temps... but it actually helps guard us against Death Freezes.  This winter we've had only about 10 nights under freezing, and zero (or maybe 1, can't remember) daytimes, which is lower than normal.

This may sound like fanciful thinking, but during my adulthood, it *feels* like Summers and Winters are both hanging on a little longer than what it felt like in my youth. It's hard to tell though because I moved from the High Plains of West Texas to Central Texas when I was in my mid-20s during the mid-90s.

Maybe adjusting from that harsher climate zone to this one messed up my perceptions to where the transition from relatively cold to mild early Spring weather set a certain expectation. Or maybe in my first few years in Austin, the Springs were genuinely milder than the past few ones.

I dunno. That's probably all bullshit, but that's how I have personally perceived it. It'd be interesting to see a comparison.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:47 AM, MoJames said:
On 2/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, The People’s Elbow said:
I know you’re in CO but whereabouts? Grand or Summit Counties, or somewhere farther away from the front range? 

Durango.

You poised to get anything from this storm? 

I drove up the hill to hang at Copper this weekend, and we’re forecasted to get anywhere from 14” to 48” in the next 48 hours. 

This may sound like fanciful thinking, but during my adulthood, it *feels* like Summers and Winters are both hanging on a little longer than what it felt like in my youth. It's hard to tell though because I moved from the High Plains of West Texas to Central Texas when I was in my mid-20s during the mid-90s.
Maybe adjusting from that harsher climate zone to this one messed up my perceptions to where the transition from relatively cold to mild early Spring weather set a certain expectation. Or maybe in my first few years in Austin, the Springs were genuinely milder than the past few ones.
I dunno. That's probably all bullshit, but that's how I have personally perceived it. It'd be interesting to see a comparison.

Or weather gonna weather. No year is the same as the last one or the next one.

Overnight lows Sunday into Monday and Monday into Tuesday will

drop into the 20s across much of South Central Texas meaning a

widespread freeze for most and a hard freeze for some in the Hill

Country. Temperatures behind the front will be only a few degrees

warmer than our record lows and it will be possible to see some

record low maximum temperatures on Monday. With gusty north winds

Monday into tuesday wind chill values both mornings could drop

into the teens. Temperatures moderate slightly towards midweek but

another lighter freeze is possible Wednesday morning across the

Hill Country and Austin metro area.

Time to start slaughtering your fattest neighbor and getting him or her ready to eat.  

3 hours ago, MoJames said:
16 hours ago, MoJames said:
I think we are going to get the edge of it, right now 3-5 inches Saturday evening.

Up to 7 inches on Saturday now.

Just headed in for Apres: this place picked up like crazy over the last couple hours. I was hoping the storm would cause CDOT to close the tunnels or otherwise keep people away, but doesn’t look like it. This powder is fucking good, though. 

• Like 2

Try to keep it between the ditches (if you have any idea where they are)
My dad says that all of the time haha.

Didn't get stuck! Had to go off of very faded tracks and a line of 1.5" grass that happened to be sticking out of the snow.

As a goof joke, our mechanic bought me those HD military grade style sunglasses you see in the infomercials on tv. I have them in my truck just for emergency bs... they actually helped define the road better vs just squinting and guessing

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Montana schools opening late tomorrow due to morning wind chills around -40.  

-30 or so here. 

Y’all send kids to school in that shit?  Life finds a way I guess. I’m dreading the 30s (plus not minus) I’m going to wake up to

Negative ghost rider....you can jump in a pool or lake...you can go inside to soak up AC. Or you can not be a pussy and go outside anyway. But that cold is bullshit. There aren’t enough clothes for that bullshit. I’ll never have to shovel the heat out of my driveway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Negative ghost rider....you can jump in a pool or lake...you can go inside to soak up AC. Or you can not be a pussy and go outside anyway. But that cold is bullshit. There aren’t enough clothes for that bullshit. I’ll never have to shovel the heat out of my driveway.

I used to say the same thing. It’s not a big deal. And right now there’s no snow, just cold. You don’t shovel cold either.  And you can stay indoors in the central heat...or don’t be a pussy and go outside anyway. 

You can snow ski and snowboard, snowmobile, swim in the indoor pools, ice skate.  You have fun golfing in 100 degree heat, though I’ll grant you it’s more pleasant than golfing in subzero temps would be. 

Ive never had any use for the beach, so missing out on that doesn’t affect me in the least. 

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

Can you golf in that cold? Can you go to the lake and jet ski or wake board? Can you hang out by the pool? Can you go to the beach?

Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope.

I suck at golf.  Fuck the lake, shit lives in there, and don't forget all the bodies too.  Plenty of indoor pools.  Shit lives in the ocean too.

Skiing, snowboarding, snowball fights, re-enacting Hoth rescue scene, igloos.....

the absolute beauty in the sound of silence in the darkness of a cold winter night, insulated by snow on the ground.

My driveway is heated I don't shovel shit.  Then when it does warm up, it's not 100 fucking degrees at midnight.  Fuck that shit.