2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

That wind was brutal, I'm pretty sure i got a small lift from one burst on my truck, steering felt like I was on ice for a second.  The one thing in the video that stood out was that the warned truck drivers turned with the push, instead of against which might feel like the right impulse at the time.

23 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hurricanes, Aggy, snakes, 2-3 months of 100 degree heat and humidity, oversized shit everywhere, bat shit crazy politics.

Texas certainly has it's charms, but there are plenty of reasons not to live there, depending on one's point of view.

Me every day man:

200.gif

• Like 3

https://weather.com/safety/floods/news/2019-03-14-record-historic-flooding-nebraska-south-dakota-iowa-why

This is the best link I can find that covers all the destruction in Nebraska. They got a big rain on top of snow, on top of frozen ground. Rain melted the snow, and it ALL ran off. Ran off fast. That all happened during the blizzard. Flooding all over, cattle have been drowned. Some big dams have failed and the Cooper nuclear plant is gonna be an island for a bit.

Further north, the wet snow has killed cows and young calves. Some roads in North and South Dakota weren't opened until late today.

I know some on this board dislike the State of Nebraska, and northerners in general. Over in the Cloak Room they disparage farmers on occasion. But on this night, lots of those people will appreciate your T's and P's.

eb9da73aef96938cd8fc089c07b7f62d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw NWS calling for 24-30" in localized parts of central South Dakota.  We're in the 1-3" range, and it will likely pretty much all melt in a day or two.

Worst about the SD snow is that it's going to go right into the the Missouri River.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Our weather guy likes to get get cute with his stats. He’s giving us a 60% chance of a foot of snow from Wednesday through Thursday. That’s easier than predicting an actual number of inches.

Well, a foot of snow is 12 inches of snow.

• Like 1

Speaking of winter, tomorrow in Austin temps are going to hover in the mid- and even in some places upper 90's.  But only one day.  Thursday a cool front (dry) comes through and cools us off into the low 80's, and we'll stay around there the next couple of days.

Summer is here for 1 day tomorrow.  Dealwiddit.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Just saw the guy on FOX 4 in Dallas predict Denver will get 20 inches tomorrow. It was 70 today.

Actually, it hit 80 here today. Highly doubt we’ll get anywhere near 20 inches. It’ll be a few (maybe half dozen), all of which will be gone over the 60- and 70-degree weekend. 

Edited by The People’s Elbow

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

Mother Nature about to peg MN Longhorn and give Al_4_ISU a Rusty Cleveland.

It was an interesting drive to the farm this morning.  Driving straight west on a state highway that was just wet, I could see massive displays of lightning.  When I turned north onto a county road, I found it completely iced over, and I was getting hit with a 60 MPH cross breeze.  I'm still amazed I wasn't literally blown off the road.

13 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Of all the unnecessary, new weather terms, “Bomb Cyclone” may be the dumbest of them all.  

You can't put "late season winter storm" in movie trailers with sound effects and excited "do or die" narration.  Have to give the idiots something to read because god knows that real news reporting died out with bell bottoms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It was an interesting drive to the farm this morning.  Driving straight west on a state highway that was just wet, I could see massive displays of lightning.  When I turned north onto a county road, I found it completely iced over, and I was getting hit with a 60 MPH cross breeze.  I'm still amazed I wasn't literally blown off the road.

So Mrs. Al wasn't in the truck?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

4c637d00606c93ba1e36d77806206d9d.jpg

Yeah, a bunch of my neighbor's freshly blossomed leaves are torn to shreds and in my yard after yesterday's windfest down here.  I don't have any downed trees or powerlines, however.  That storm was sucking up some serious energy from the south these last two days.