2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think we could transition to southern summers more easily than you guys would transition to northern winters.

It's not some kind of bullshit "we're tougher than you" shit, it's just that there's less of a difference between our summers than our winters.  Our high temp is probably 10-15 degrees less than yours, max.  Everyone up north has had 100 degree heat in the summer.  We don't get 105 and beyond, and we sure as shit don't get a month or two straight of it, but we get it.  I'm sure we'd bitch about the heat, but it's within the realm of something we've had to deal with with some semblance of regularity.

Our winter low temp is probably 50 degrees lower than yours.  You guys never see subzero.  Our overall temperature spread from low to high is ridiculous.  Basically, your hot isn't anywhere as much hotter than our cold is colder.  If that makes sense.

I admittedly know nothing about an Iowa summer, but you guys hitting maximum temps near 100 a couple times is not the same as us being 90+ from May through October, with 95+ June through September.  I would wager a guess that you have stretches of hot weather but that those are broken up by weeks with temps in 80's or even 70's.  Kind of like our "cold" snaps where we have a week such as this one with highs in the 30's on Monday, then highs in the 80's on Friday.

Not to mention the overnight lows, when a lot of times we do not get lower than 80.  90 degrees at 10pm is the real beating in the summer.  But it sure does make a cold brew taste that much better.

• Like 1

My pneumonic device for how to spell dessert/desert obviously failed me.  It was something about Rommel and he didn't want the S.S. in Tobruck.  

Though I knew a german pastry chef once at Fabi + Rosi who, in closed culinary circles, the Dessert Fox.  

33 minutes ago, KuЯdt said:

I admittedly know nothing about an Iowa summer, but you guys hitting maximum temps near 100 a couple times is not the same as us being 90+ from May through October, with 95+ June through September.  I would wager a guess that you have stretches of hot weather but that those are broken up by weeks with temps in 80's or even 70's.  Kind of like our "cold" snaps where we have a week such as this one with highs in the 30's on Monday, then highs in the 80's on Friday.

Not to mention the overnight lows, when a lot of times we do not get lower than 80.  90 degrees at 10pm is the real beating in the summer.  But it sure does make a cold brew taste that much better.

Did you read my full post?  I'm not saying Iowa summers are on par with Texas summers.  I'm saying Iowa summers are closer to Texas summers than Texas winters (CenTex) are to Iowa winters.  

You never get -10 degree days.  We sometimes get 100 degree days.  While we don't get anywhere close the summer beating you do, we get enough to extrapolate what more would be like.

You might swing 80 degrees between your low and high.  We swing 120, and our high is probably 10 degrees off your high, but our low is probably 50 degrees lower.  Because we experience (in much smaller windows and not quite to the same extreme) a taste of your worst weather, I think we'd be able to make the adjustment to your temperature easier than you would adjust to ours.  That's my only point.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Did you read my full post?  I'm not saying Iowa summers are on par with Texas summers.  I'm saying Iowa summers are closer to Texas summers than Texas winters (CenTex) are to Iowa winters.  
You never get -10 degree days.  We sometimes get 100 degree days.  While we don't get anywhere close the summer beating you do, we get enough to extrapolate what more would be like.
You might swing 80 degrees between your low and high.  We swing 120, and our high is probably 10 degrees off your high, but our low is probably 50 degrees lower.  Because we experience (in much smaller windows and not quite to the same extreme) a taste of your worst weather, I think we'd be able to make the adjustment to your temperature easier than you would adjust to ours.  That's my only point.

What he was saying is that Iowa winters are more analogous to Texas summers and Texas winters are more analogous to Iowa summers.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

What he was saying is that Iowa winters are more analogous to Texas summers and Texas winters are more analogous to Iowa summers.

Well, in that our summers are more pleasant than our winters and your winters are more pleasant than your summers, I'd agree.

I think Texas winters are milder than Iowa summers, from just a general uncomfortability standpoint.  Texas in December is much more comfortable than Iowa in June-mid September.  I would agree that Texas summers (from what I gather - every time I've visited Texas was between October and May) are a similar beating to Iowa winters.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Native Texans are often surprised to learn that places like Iowa and Illinois get up to 95 degrees regularly in July and August.  But the cool-down at dusk is marked.  It's often in the 50's/60's at midnight.  Problem with Texas is 95 degrees by daytime, and maybe 85 degrees at midnight.  We're just locked in for 4 months with no variance.  I don't miss Chicago winters, but I do miss the Autumn.  We get a decent one in Austin from late-October to early-December...maybe 6 weeks total and then it's all over on either side. Fall in Chicago seemed to last forever.  

Yeah, the night cool down is a real thing.  There have been times it was in the 90's all day, and you're just sweating balls, and say you're out on the river, and by the time the sun is down, your'e sitting around the campfire in a sweat shirt.

Occasionally we get the hot (north of 80) over nights, and that definitely sucks.  But normally 90+ degree days have 60-70 degree nights.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Native Texans are often surprised to learn that places like Iowa and Illinois get up to 95 degrees regularly in July and August.  But the cool-down at dusk is marked.  It's often in the 50's/60's at midnight.  Problem with Texas is 95 degrees by daytime, and maybe 85 degrees at midnight.  We're just locked in for 4 months with no variance.  I don't miss Chicago winters, but I do miss the Autumn.  We get a decent one in Austin from late-October to early-December...maybe 6 weeks total and then it's all over on either side. Fall in Chicago seemed to last forever.  

This year, we more or less had Fall from the middle of September until late January.  There were a couple of snow shots (one in October and one in December) but they melted completely.

It's not normally like that.  Usually it's mid September to early December.

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Shit the most miserable place to be in America when it's hot, and it is pretty common during the summer, is Washington D.C.   That place is an absolute trainwreck when it's hot during the summer, and it is frequently.  

But the difference between listening to congressbitches bitch about how hot it is in fucking DC for 2-5 day stretches, and seeing/knowing the no end in sight pattern of CenTex from Memorial Day- Columbus Day, it becomes a toleration deal mixed with giving in to the length.  It's all psychological.  And it sucks.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Heck if we are in a severe dry and hot summer, I've seen the temp push 110 or higher and cool down to maybe 90 by midnight.  In fact that is almost typical summer in Laredo and other areas along the Rio Grande going into the Big Bend.   But at least it's a "dry heat" unlike here on the coast where you want to strip off your clothes before you enter your home because you are dripping wet thanks to the humidity.... On top of the heat.  

I think many of us do realize it get pretty darn hot up in the Midwest, etc.   But much like we make a big deal about the cold down here, they do the same about the heat.   I've been up there in the summer and they called 80 something degrees "hot."   I was like WTF are you all talking about?

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

This is more to the point I was trying to make.  It's hot as fuck and does not relent once June starts until sometime in October.  Iowa summers are not as nearly as close to Texas summers as was claimed.  
I understand it gets hot and miserable and is probably pretty humid, so dew points become a factor.  But you get breaks from that and decent overnight lows.
I'd be fine with a few -10 degree days in Austin during the winter, because I know a few days later we'd be back in the 60's.  Besides, in my limited experience, anything 10 and below feels the same to me...cold as balls and I want to be out of it.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

My pneumonic device for how to spell dessert/desert obviously failed me.  It was something about Rommel and he didn't want the S.S. in Tobruck.  

Though I knew a german pastry chef once at Fabi + Rosi who, in closed culinary circles, the Dessert Fox.  

Tobruk

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Heck if we are in a severe dry and hot summer, I've seen the temp push 110 or higher and cool down to maybe 90 by midnight.  In fact that is almost typical summer in Laredo and other areas along the Rio Grande going into the Big Bend.   But at least it's a "dry heat" unlike here on the coast where you want to strip off your clothes before you enter your home because you are dripping wet thanks to the humidity.... On top of the heat.  

I think many of us do realize it get pretty darn hot up in the Midwest, etc.   But much like we make a big deal about the cold down here, they do the same about the heat.   I've been up there in the summer and they called 80 something degrees "hot."   I was like WTF are you all talking about?

I'm from Corpus and lived 18 years in Orlando and I have to say that if you ever spent a summer in Boston you'd reconsider this.  It's miserably hot and -- guess what -- the air conditioning up there isn't so good (it makes a big difference).

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I'm from Corpus and lived 18 years in Orlando and I have to say that if you ever spent a summer in Boston you'd reconsider this.  It's miserably hot and -- guess what -- the air conditioning up there isn't so good (it makes a big difference).

I don't doubt that.   I should have noted I was talking about a couple of weeks we spent at a lake house in Minnesota.   

They didn't have the humidity issue or shall I say the humidity most of us who live in coastal areas have to deal with, save those who live where the terrain and wind patterns generally discourage humid conditions like the Baja,  some parts of the California coast line, etc.    

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree with this.  I've lived in both climates: Iowa and Texas, and the climate in Texas is better for the reasons stated.  The winters down south are better than the summers are worse.  It gets hot in the midwest in the summer and surprisingly humid. It does usually cool off in the evenings and the heat usually doesn't persist like it does down here: every few days you will usually get a nice cool blast of Canadian air that is just glorious in, say, July.  

But the winters are beyond fucking terrible. Bitterly cold, incredibly windy, cloudy as fuck, and it lasts forever.  

10 hours ago, Bullneck said:

This.  Last couple of times we’ve had family come up for a visit and we headed over to Beantown, it’s been hotter than blue blazes, fucking oppressive at times. A lot of places up in this region only have window units to deal with the heat, no bueno in some of these public places. 

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I agree with this.  I've lived in both climates: Iowa and Texas, and the climate in Texas is better for the reasons stated.  The winters down south are better than the summers are worse.  It gets hot in the midwest in the summer and surprisingly humid. It does usually cool off in the evenings and the heat usually doesn't persist like it does down here: every few days you will usually get a nice cool blast of Canadian air that is just glorious in, say, July.  

But the winters are beyond fucking terrible. Bitterly cold, incredibly windy, cloudy as fuck, and it lasts forever.  

We've actually had a really sunny winter.  It's one saving grace.  Well, that and the fact that it didn't really start until the end of January (which seems irrelevant at this point).

The wind is the worst part.  It's relentless, but it's that way all year long.  It's the reason RAGBRAI always goes west to east.  Drive through Iowa on a major highway these days, and you'll rarely by out of sight of windmills.  I think Rogers and Hammerstein did "Oklahoma" because it had one more syllable and fit the meter better.  Iowa is where the damned wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Having lived in Chicago for 10 years, the shitty thing about 90+ degree days is that the average restaurant/bar/whatever's AC unit typically wasn't equipped to cool off a place if the outside temps rose much higher than 85 degrees. So it's cold as shit for 7 months out of the year, nice for three months, and then your sweat your ass off everywhere you go for July and August because there's nowhere to go to cool off.

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think Rogers and Hammerstein did "Oklahoma" because it had one more syllable and fit the meter better.  Iowa is where the damned wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Nah we all get that shit plains wind in the winter. You just happen to get it when it's 50 degrees cooler than it is down here. I always feel like the wind decides to disappear sometime in June and doesn't show back up until October in Central Texas. 

Today is shaping up to be a really nice day. Already 73 at 10:53 and we're only getting down to 65 tonight. I'm going to say this now, but I'm ready for summer. Give me a tube and the San Marcos already and I'll see you guys in October.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Can we northerners get back to whining about northern weather?

e0eb0e521bea9cce707cf4a2b1cba81e.jpg

I just want to thank you for catching this storm, I'm a little bit east of you and across the lake - it is supposed to gradually warm up from today into next week when it could almost touch 60°. That will make it a wet, slushy mess for a couple of days, and with jinxing everyone I'm hoping with that we will say adios motherfucker to this winter.

I always figured AC was AC until I was in Paris during the worst heat wave in recorded history, 1993. Our original hotel did not have AC and it was fucking miserable. We changed to a hotel that advertised AC, which was technically true. It helped, but it wasn’t like the AC’s we are used to in Texas.

We ain't quite done with winter yet.

Nothing polar/freezing, but definitely chilly the next 5-6 days.

Series of storms are going to be dragging through, mostly to our north, and pulling cooler air in.  Normal daytime highs 15° below norms.  Today a small front went through overnight, temps might not get much above the low 60's.   Tues and Wed will be warmer (but not really that much above normal, which is about 71° this time of year).  Then a probably decent line of storms Tues night drops a pretty solid cool front, next 3-4 days after that a good deal of sun but cool.  Temps might not make it out of the 50's.  Overnights not too bad, 40's, maybe high 30's in western/nw, Hill Country.

Winter gonna winter until it isn't winter.

Edited by phdhorn

What elevation is your house? Are you at risk of flooding? Grand Forks says it's gonna be like 2006. I wasn't here in 2006, but it sounds like it was kinda bad?
Im a ways from the red. Moorhead is built up naturally like 10 feet higher than fap

Fargo iirc and weve bought out so many houses for a flood wall protection that we should be ok. Not sure what it's going to be like... need a month of nothing too warm too quick now.

What about you?

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol i still dont understand why anyone would choose to live outside of Texas

Hurricanes, Aggy, snakes, 2-3 months of 100 degree heat and humidity, oversized shit everywhere, bat shit crazy politics.

Texas certainly has it's charms, but there are plenty of reasons not to live there, depending on one's point of view.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Iowa is where the damned wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Hurricanes, Aggy, snakes, 2-3 months of 100 degree heat and humidity, oversized shit everywhere, bat shit crazy politics. Texas certainly has it's charms, but there are plenty of reasons not to live there, depending on one's point of view.

Point. Counter point.

3 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

That's some amazing footage.  I saw a truck go over once, between Des Moines and Omaha.  Granted, there must have been 20 of them along 100 mile stretch, but I only actually saw one go down.  It's terrifying.