2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Damn, I don’t knew how y’all do it. It’s fun when I go to Colorado, but I know I won’t have to deal with it for more than a few days.

If you live with it for any amount of time it generally becomes a non issue.

Until you run out of places to pile it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 2/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:
We got 6" of snow on later Monday-early Tuesday.  I shoveled and did the snow blower thing.  We got 2 inches yesterday, and we are especting another 4 inches by mid-morning tomorrow.  It's gotten to the point that I don't want to mess with clearing 2 inches when there's another 4 inches just around the corner.  Some might call me lazy, but prefer to think of myself as efficient.  Besides, I have more sidewalk and driveway than most people.

I've given up getting my driveway to concrete just to have it snow 2 days later. Fuck it. Compacted shit it is until July when it melts

You don't have a heated driveway or a manservant to take care of that?

You're posting on Surly for God's sake!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You wanna hear the crazy part?  It was like 35 degrees when I took that pic and it felt amazing 

You might catch me in short sleeves and jeans, walking to the mailbox in bare feet in that weather... assuming it’s sunny and no more than a light breeze. Warming up to 35 involves completely factors than cooling down to 35.  It’s like how 85 in October feels great in Texas, but downright unpleasant in February.

I took a photo in Rapid City one sunny day when it was below zero and the snow and ice on the streets was melting like crazy. I texted it to a couple of people in Texas who were skeptics.  Denver and other places out west on the eastern slope of mountains experience the same thing.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You don't have a heated driveway or a manservant to take care of that?

You're posting on Surly for God's sake!

The guy who built our log cabin has a wood-fired boiler to heat his house, shop, sidewalk, and driveway.  He has an endless supply of wood scraps. I sometimes go by his place just to admire it (and to stoke my envy). 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Since this is a weather thread, can anyone recommend a weather app that opens up to a 6+ hour satellite or radar loop? The weather apps I had a few years ago had loops of 6-12 hours, but the ones I find now are 90 minutes max. I like to see what happened overnight or when I’m in a different location.

I’d rather not have to go through gyrations to see it, so I’m looking for something that opens up to that. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You might catch me in short sleeves and jeans, walking to the mailbox in bare feet in that weather... assuming it’s sunny and no more than a light breeze. Warming up to 35 involves completely factors than cooling down to 35.  It’s like how 85 in October feels great in Texas, but downright unpleasant in February.

I took a photo in Rapid City one sunny day when it was below zero and the snow and ice on the streets was melting like crazy. I texted it to a couple of people in Texas who were skeptics.  Denver and other places out west on the eastern slope of mountains experience the same thing.

The power of the sun on a cold day is a very real thing

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Since this is a weather thread, can anyone recommend a weather app that opens up to a 6+ hour satellite or radar loop? The weather apps I had a few years ago had loops of 6-12 hours, but the ones I find now are 90 minutes max. I like to see what happened overnight or when I’m in a different location.

I’d rather not have to go through gyrations to see it, so I’m looking for something that opens up to that. 

I'll get back to you on this, not at my desktop (my superduperpower computing center).

Next week is going to be mild and nice in Austin.. temps not below the low 60's, a few days up into the low 70's.  

However, 2-week forecast is slightly cooler than normal.  I'll dig into it, don't see any polar-level shit but maybe some 40's.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

The power of the sun on a cold day is a very real thing

Yep.  Didn't even bother to shovel last snowfall, let the sun take care of it.  

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Fuck This Shit status achieved bc64e6bcd064cc28863ac9374cafb074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After all that, you have to clean off the cars, maybe snowblow again.  

It amazes the wife and I how many good size houses here in the NY area have only a 1 car garage.  The house we bought was originally 1 car but the previous owners converted the sun room(attached to garage) into a garage w/out a door.  We added the door after we bought it.  

Winter Ain't Done Yet
Coming back with one of the colder spells this season beginning Saturday.  Again, since this has been a relatively moderate winter (no polar freezes), it won't be Arctic but it'll be cold and probably a widespread freeze Sunday overnight and probably Monday.  More on that in a sec.

Up to last night, this week was supposed to be fairly warm with temps in the low to mid-70's.  However, this cold front is meandering to the north of us (Amarillo at about 20° right now) and originally it was supposed to stay north of us.  Now it looks like some of that will briefly dip south on Thursday.  Models are all over the place on whether it makes it through Austin.  If it does, Thursday's temps will be in the high 50's.  If it doesn't, they'll be up near 80° or above.  No way to know until maybe later today (although the most relaible Euro model has it coming through).  I'll update on this potential 20-degree swing when things clear up.

In any event, that front isn't going to last, and it'll come up from the south again through Austin as a warm front. So no matter what, Friday is going to be a late spring day, with temps at or just above 80° area wide for the most part.  Enjoy Friday, it's going to be pretty nice.

Because Fri-Sat overnight a more definite front will plow through.  Temps won't plummet immediately, but like our other fronts this year, will gradually go down each day through about Tuesday.  So temps Saturday won't get much higher than the mid-50's and fall to the high 30's by evening.  Sunday and Monday will have daytime temps in the mid to low 40's, nighttime will almost certainly bring a light area-wide freeze.  The thing is, that this pattern won't change a lot, so the beginning of March is going to be cooler than normal, temps not getting too much past the mid-60's (normal right now actually is near 70°). Going to be a kind of chilly last gasp of winter the next week and a half. 

tl;dr:  Next 2 days mild and fairly warm; Thurs can go either way; Friday will be very warm; Weekend through next Wed. fairly cold; after that temps will be slightly cooler than normal - after Friday, no super-warm early spring days for the next week+ at least.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

I learned a couple of lessons the hard way since moving into snow country. First winter, I didn’t shovel. There was never more than a few inches on the ground at any one time, so why bother.  But that shit got compacted down and ended up as smooth ice weeks after it was cleared off everywhere else. So I learned to go ahead and shovel, and to do it when the snow was fresh and easy to move. 

Then two years ago the snowfall was heavier. I had been waiting for snow to stop and drop off the forecast, then go shovel once.  Then it dropped a foot or foot and a half over two days, and I ended up shoveling for hours because that’s too much snow to push around. Had to scoop, walk, dump, walk back, repeat. 

So now I know to shovel when there’s 3-4 inches on the ground, even if it’s still snowing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I learned a couple of lessons the hard way since moving into snow country. First winter, I didn’t shovel. There was never more than a few inches on the ground at any one time, so why bother.  But that shit got compacted down and ended up as smooth ice weeks after it was cleared off everywhere else. So I learned to go ahead and shovel, and to do it when the snow was fresh and easy to move. 

Then two years ago the snowfall was heavier. I had been waiting for snow to stop and drop off the forecast, then go shovel once.  Then it dropped a foot or foot and a half over two days, and I ended up shoveling for hours because that’s too much snow to push around. Had to scoop, walk, dump, walk back, repeat. 

So now I know to shovel when there’s 3-4 inches on the ground, even if it’s still snowing. 

I learned a similar lesson.  For example, the way I solved that conundrum is by living in Texas.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That's one of those things that casual observance of your surroundings could have taught you a good lesson early.  As much as it sucks to shovel snow 3-4 times over a weekend when you get a heavy dose, it's still easier and takes less cumulative time than attempting to shovel a foot or more.

We lived in South Jersey for 10 years, and I was about 16 when we got the worst blizzard in the history of the area.  44 inches from 4am saturday to 8pm sunday.  I shoveled about 10 different times and couldn't keep up with it (Dad had already transferred jobs back to Texas, younger bro and sis weren't going to be much help).  Thank God for the neighbor's snow blower to get the overnight accumulations out of the way first, and to help dig the damn car out of 8 ft piles of road plowed snow

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I learned a similar lesson.  For example, the way I solved that conundrum is by living in Texas.

Well after 35 years in Texas, I got tired of the heat. So I made a change. Still love the 75-85 degree summers, all the mule deer that walk around town, the trout fishing. And I only have to shovel a few times a year mostly since we are in high desert. 

I’m thinking we both have made the decision that is right for us. 

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Winter Ain't Done Yet
Coming back with one of the colder spells this season beginning Saturday.  Again, since this has been a relatively moderate winter (no polar freezes), it won't be Arctic but it'll be cold and probably a widespread freeze Sunday overnight and probably Monday.  More on that in a sec.

Up to last night, this week was supposed to be fairly warm with temps in the low to mid-70's.  However, this cold front is meandering to the north of us (Amarillo at about 20° right now) and originally it was supposed to stay north of us.  Now it looks like some of that will briefly dip south on Thursday.  Models are all over the place on whether it makes it through Austin.  If it does, Thursday's temps will be in the high 50's.  If it doesn't, they'll be up near 80° or above.  No way to know until maybe later today (although the most relaible Euro model has it coming through).  I'll update on this potential 20-degree swing when things clear up.

In any event, that front isn't going to last, and it'll come up from the south again through Austin as a warm front. So no matter what, Friday is going to be a late spring day, with temps at or just above 80° area wide for the most part.  Enjoy Friday, it's going to be pretty nice.

Because Fri-Sat overnight a more definite front will plow through.  Temps won't plummet immediately, but like our other fronts this year, will gradually go down each day through about Tuesday.  So temps Saturday won't get much higher than the mid-50's and fall to the high 30's by evening.  Sunday and Monday will have daytime temps in the mid to low 40's, nighttime will almost certainly bring a light area-wide freeze.  The thing is, that this pattern won't change a lot, so the beginning of March is going to be cooler than normal, temps not getting too much past the mid-60's (normal right now actually is near 70°). Going to be a kind of chilly last gasp of winter the next week and a half. 

tl;dr:  Next 2 days mild and fairly warm; Thurs can go either way; Friday will be very warm; Weekend through next Wed. fairly cold; after that temps will be slightly cooler than normal - after Friday, no super-warm early spring days for the next week+ at least.

So Friday LSU game will be good, but Sat and Sun, prepare your anus?

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

So Friday LSU game will be good, but Sat and Sun, prepare your anus?

Yup.  (can't remember if the Sat game is the usual evening one, but if so, yes.)
Sunday's gonna be a bitch.

Answer to "rain?" on Thursday quesiton.... 

a good chance of periods of light rain sunrise up thru mid-afternoon.  Nothing massive.  Back if this changes.

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My decision to shovel vs snowblow is also contingent on the consistency of the snow.  Wet heavy shit, I'm blowing anything over a couple of inches.  Powder, I'll shovel up to 5-6".

Yup. And I used to think I wanted to get a plow setup one day, but screw that. If I'm dropping that money I'm getting a snowblower at the front of my side by side. I don't think I'll every use anything more (tractor/skidsteer) and plowing is lazy and ineffective once you get enough snow.

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Yup. And I used to think I wanted to get a plow setup one day, but screw that. If I'm dropping that money I'm getting a snowblower at the front of my side by side. I don't think I'll every use anything more (tractor/skidsteer) and plowing is lazy and ineffective once you get enough snow.

In a winter like this, given my driveway/home set up, plowing is almost useless.  The only option is to pile it in the boulevard to the south, which is a dick move to the neighbors.  The blower lets me drop it in the most convenient location for everyone.

I like to shovel just for the exercise, but there's a point where risking back injury just isn't worth it.

Jfc man...

I snow blow at 2 inches. Fuck shoveling.

4 hours ago, MoJames said:

1. Heat the driveway and walkways.

2. Humblebrag on Surly

3. ???

4. Profit

45 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

1. Heat the driveway and walkways.

2. Humblebrag on Surly

3. ???

4. Profit

So my parent's place in Colorado uses the natural hot springs nearby to do this.

I live in an area that water is not at a price point to heat and accomplish it. Also, the amount of work to do if it breaks is just awful.

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I always dread the first real snow of the year because the ground isn’t usually freezing cold yet, so the snow is slushy close to the ground. It comes out of the snowblower like toothpaste, so you have to shovel it. Leaving it isn’t an option because it’s likely to freeze solid which makes it even more of a pain.  I’ll take January or February snow over November or December snow.