2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Not too bad, gonna get a little breezy here tonight, but as Burt said it's just winter.

I hate that the national weather media decided to name storms and creates a frenzy with weather, and some techie created a map that you can highlight an area and it determines that 11.4 bazillion people who live there will be affected by storm system  Gacy/Dahmer/Lecter/Aggy.

When I was a kid, storms weren't a big deal until the National Guard had to be called out. It happened twice that I can remember, when highways became unpassable and cars were stuck. They would roll out in deuce and half's, throw people in the back and take them to a shelter

Where you at, Wally?

On 2/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Who the fuck changes their own tire anymore...?

Fuck that shit.

I just call roadside service and watch.

I've only changed a tire once and it was on the shoulder of I-35 a few years ago. Our insurance's roadside service said they would come in 3 hours. Called the phone number on the back of my driver license and they said they don't change tires. Fuck it! Changed it right there.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
10 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:
I'm in Fargo this week and they shut down the offices in the middle of our UAT.  On top of that, most retail places are closed and it's a proverbial white shit storm out there.  

Ha. Welcome.

Yep, and I will be in Minneapolis in a few weeks.  It's great dontchaknow, yah? 

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's pretty far above sea level, right?  Makes sense they'd have a legitimate winter.

That and they get those fronts that barrel down the Eastern edge of the Rockies.  Lubbock isn't quite Amarillo in that sense, but they see a lot more than DFW does.  

It's pretty wild the stark contrast in frequency of winter weather between the NW edge of Fort Worth and Dallas.  Just how the jet stream dips here 

• Like 1

Big shitstorm of graupel coming down hard Bee Cave area.  71 is getting slick.  Careful until that shit moves out.  Will melt on the roads, though... all the warm weather the past week has trapped heat, plus temps are generally above freezing (but not by much) areawide.  But if you get caught in it as it's coming down before it melts, it's very slick.

Oh, yeah, if you don't know what graupel is, GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy knows.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaaXOgjRPrZDJ-tjtaa8M

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Big shitstorm of graupel coming down hard Bee Cave area.  71 is getting slick.  Careful until that shit moves out.  Will melt on the roads, though... all the warm weather the past week has trapped heat, plus temps are generally above freezing (but not by much) areawide.  But if you get caught in it as it's coming down before it melts, it's very slick.

Oh, yeah, if you don't know what graupel is, GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy knows.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaaXOgjRPrZDJ-tjtaa8M

We're all convinced that Frankie is just your Tyler Durden. 

My 18 year old called me a little while ago to tell me how cool it was that his car hit a patch of ice on an overpass and started to fish-tail.   I'm pretty sure a micro-second of loss of traction doesn't qualify as fish-tailing, but whatever.  The kid has never lived anywhere but Austin.  

Fucking told you guys there was such a thing as graupel.  And I did not think it could happen this far inland or this far south.  

I blame the zebra mussels for this lake effect bullshit.