2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

We're going to have sub zero lows for the next week.  They're calling for a day with a high of -13 next week.

A week ago I was thinking "we're halfway through January, and almost out of the woods on the subzero front".  I'm an idiot.  Although this should really be the only shot of it we get*.

*nervously taps on wooden desk top*

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don't brag about our winter weather like I do summer weather..... but I think Wednesday might be the coldest day of my life. I wonder if the governor will call school off for the entire state. b79f0b341d087bd898a185bfd2c0ee2e.jpg

Were you in MN in '96?  I think that was worse.  That's still pretty horrific though.

It was -15 this morning and didn't seem THAT bad due to lack of wind.  We've get -11/-24 predicted for next Tuesday.  Last year it was 55 the last weekend of January.

Were you in MN in '96?  I think that was worse.  That's still pretty horrific though.

It was -15 this morning and didn't seem THAT bad due to lack of wind.  We've get -11/-24 predicted for next Tuesday.  Last year it was 55 the last weekend of January.

Yea I'm a lifer here...winter of 96-97 I'm sure we had 30 days of school off + historic flood to cap it.

Weve got a motorcoach up in duluth this AM. After 4 hrs of running the pro heat...he finally got the fucker to turn over. It has like 7 gallons of howes in it too. Hes just going to idle the bus tonight in St Cloud because itll only be -15

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yea I'm a lifer here...winter of 96-97 I'm sure we had 30 days of school off + historic flood to cap it.

We had a lot of school off that year too.  No 30 days, but it was bad.

I remember the Red River flood being all over the news.

Nah, it seems that way, but it's not.  Cold fronts don't usually come in overnight... they can come in at any time of day.

The reason it seems like it is that when many cold fronts pass some time during sleeping hours, you last were awake hours ago and in that time, the conditions can change pretty drastically.  Some cold fronts aren't that strong, or are more gradual.  So you won't even notice them at first, or barely (as you would if you were awake at night).

I know that 4 out of the last 5 fronts or so have come during daylight, or at least not "bedtime" hours (2 before noon, one about 4 p.m. and the 2nd to last one about 9 p.m.  This last little one did come in about 3-4 a.m.).

Now in the summer where we live, it's common for lines of thunderstorms to pass by overnight.  This is due to enough heat being built up along the dry line, which hangs out in West Texas, early in the morning... by the time these things sweep over us, it's usually 6-8 hours later.  But those aren't really system fronts, of course.

But cold fronts during the months they can actually get down to us really aren't more common at night.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Totally random thought and one which is probably rooted in confirmation bias, but is there a reason the majority of winter cold fronts tend to pass through Central Texas in the middle of the night?

I swear, almost all of our real cold blasts these past few years have occurred in the middle of the night.  

The freeze comes out at night

The freeze comes out at night

Low of -34 predicted for Wednesday AM.  High of 34 on Saturday.  Just your typical 70 degrees over 3 days temperature swing.  

6" of snow last night, and another few more shots predicted over the 10 day, after this cold snap ends.  Should be good conditions for the fat bike, snowmobiles, and skiing.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Low of -34 predicted for Wednesday AM.  High of 34 on Saturday.  Just your typical 70 degrees over 3 days temperature swing.  

6" of snow last night, and another few more shots predicted over the 10 day, after this cold snap ends.  Should be good conditions for the fat bike, snowmobiles, and skiing.

"Perfect" weather for a buddy of mine who does the Arrowhead 135. It started today when it was about -10°, it is supposed to hit -25° tonight and the high tomorrow is -18°.
I think it's crazy - 135 miles on trails mainly through Arrowhead State Trail in Minnesota, you can follow progress along the way http://www.arrowheadultra.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

"Perfect" weather for a buddy of mine who does the Arrowhead 135. It started today when it was about -10°, it is supposed to hit -25° tonight and the high tomorrow is -18°.
I think it's crazy - 135 miles on trails mainly through Arrowhead State Trail in Minnesota, you can follow progress along the way http://www.arrowheadultra.com/

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/01/27/arctic-blast-minnesota-arrowhead-135-preview

Before dawn Monday, dozens of athletes will gather in International Falls, Minn., to begin an extreme test of endurance.

They'll set out on foot, on bikes or on skis for the 15th annual Arrowhead 135 race. It's a round-the-clock, 135-mile trek across the northern Minnesota wilderness — with minimal or no outside support.

It's a tough test in any weather conditions. But this year the forecast calls for temperatures of about 23 below zero at the start — and perhaps in the 30s below zero with wind chills near 60 below during the race.

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Damn... ill still be in shorts tomorrow here in houston

wind chill at the cousins place in brainerd tomorrow supposed to be -55 for the morning commute

lmao

damn you have fam in brainerd?  haha(jk nice resort town, theyre just rivals with my HS)

schools closed tomorrow and wednesday thank god. dont need any buses gelling up at -60 wind chills

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, DaysOff said:

That has to be dangerous for their lungs.

Don't know how dangerous but it sure as hell hurts to take a deep breath.  

I nearly wrecked today fishtailing the truck at 50 MPH (speed of traffic) merging on to the highway- luckily I somehow recovered.  The roads are clear of snow but the exhaust from the cars freezes and salt is useless in these temps.

Stupid Texan question but how the hell do you guys in MN/Chicago, etc. keep your house warm in this?  My damn bathroom and other places close to windows gets miserable without a space heater when we're in the upper 20's here.  I can't imagine a -50 wind chill blowing.   Also, any time we have a hard freeze into the low 20's/teens, plumbers clean up with busted pipes everywhere.  Are houses just built differently I assume?

We have half-again more insulation and way more expensive windows. And water lines are buried below the frost line.

Frostbite is a real thing. Spent 15 minutes dinking with some crapster ratchet straps. -20 degrees, 20 mph wind. My hands were cold, but they've been colder. Not enough to go to the doctor, but I have some discomfort in my hands tonight. Pray for me, Brothers.