2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

We have half-again more insulation and way more expensive windows. And water lines are buried below the frost line.

Frostbite is a real thing. Spent 15 minutes dinking with some crapster ratchet straps. -20 degrees, 20 mph wind. My hands were cold, but they've been colder. Not enough to go to the doctor, but I have some discomfort in my hands tonight. Pray for me, Brothers.

do your pipes come into the house from the basement?  is that another reason why basements are so prevalent up north?

7 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Those of you who live up north and don't yuk it up when it's 110 here in Texas during the summer:  Hopefully it warms up soon. 

Those of you who live up north and do yuk it up when it's 110 here in Texas during the summer:  I hope your hamster penises get frostbite and fall off.  

We don't yuk it up because usually we aren't that far behind you.  95-100 isn't uncommon.  Heat north of 95 is like cold below -10.  Past those points it feels the same.  Our highs get fairly close to yours, the big difference is that it's day or a couple days instead of a month and a half.

The worst people up here are the ones who complain in the winter about wishing it were warm, and then complain in the summer that it's too hot and want the snow back.  Bitch, if you want 70-80 every single day, move to San Diego.

On the plus side, all my vehicles started this morning!

Edited by Al_4_ISU

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

do your pipes come into the house from the basement?  is that another reason why basements are so prevalent up north?

My sewer line comes through the basement, but my water service line is much shallower.  We have to flow a trickle of water at all times to keep from freezing up in this shit.  When people have pipes freeze up here, they were routed in the walls of the house, and the house lost heat.

I always thought basements were for storm shelters.  There's a lot of zero entry new construction around here, with fortified first floor rooms for tornadoes.  I don't think they really safe guard anything from winter.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

We don't yuk it up because usually we aren't that far behind you.  95-100 isn't uncommon.  Heat north of 95 is like cold below -10.  Past those points it feels the same.  Our highs get fairly close to yours, the big difference is that it's day or a couple days instead of a month and a half.

The worst people up here are the ones who complain in the winter about wishing it were warm, and then complain in the summer that it's too hot and want the snow back.  Bitch, if you want 70-80 every single day, move to San Diego.

On the plus side, all my vehicles started this morning!

To be fair though, we don’t go three whole months like that.

ETA

I’m in Minot today where it’s -28. I hit my remote start for my pickup and I THINK it’s running? Go Chevy!

20 minutes ago, Parliament said:

To be fair though, we don’t go three whole months like that.

ETA

I’m in Minot today where it’s -28. I hit my remote start for my pickup and I THINK it’s running? Go Chevy!

Yeah, I noted that.  Perhaps I underrated the length of time, but the general idea that we get windows into what is a long term reality for them remains the same.

the big difference is that it's day or a couple days instead of a month and a half.

Because we get enough heat to wrap our heads around the idea of what months of it would be like, I refrain from giving them hell about it.  They don't get within 30-40 degrees of our lows (well, not in the more populated parts of Texas - I'm aware that the Panhandle can get northern winter type conditions).

Here's my forecast:

unnamed-12.jpg

For those doing the math, that's a 74 degree upswing between Wednesday and Sunday, with a corresponding 55 degree downswing into next Wednesday.  The screen shot cut off Thursday and Friday, but there's a 28 degree upswing back to 15(!) for Friday the 11th.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I've got a friend in Des Moines for a three-day farm show, and he is not too impressed with the weather right now...

Is anybody in your country calving yet?  I try to start in March just because of shit like this.  Plus those upswings/downswings that you noted are hell on baby calves, too.

I sure hope the homeless folks in the larger cities are ok, too.

Meh - only down to -7° here this morning, slight breeze at 10-15mph gusting to 25+, puts a little chill in the air. Supposed to get up to 45° on Sunday, that'll be nice; and by nice I mean a sloppy, slushy mess which will refreeze early next week.

Only 3 more months until I get out on the golf course again.

14 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I've got a friend in Des Moines for a three-day farm show, and he is not too impressed with the weather right now...

Is anybody in your country calving yet?  I try to start in March just because of shit like this.  Plus those upswings/downswings that you noted are hell on baby calves, too.

I sure hope the homeless folks in the larger cities are ok, too.

I like to go down to that show, but I'm not spending 2.5 hours on the road in this shit.

I don't know of anyone calving yet.

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

We have half-again more insulation and way more expensive windows. And water lines are buried below the frost line.

Frostbite is a real thing. Spent 15 minutes dinking with some crapster ratchet straps. -20 degrees, 20 mph wind. My hands were cold, but they've been colder. Not enough to go to the doctor, but I have some discomfort in my hands tonight. Pray for me, Brothers.

Umm, the windows are the same they just put the heat rejecting side opposite way.  

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

11 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Those of you who live up north and don't yuk it up when it's 110 here in Texas during the summer:  Hopefully it warms up soon. 

Those of you who live up north and do yuk it up when it's 110 here in Texas during the summer:  I hope your hamster penises get frostbite and fall off.  

Im the latter because im an asshole. 

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I think my dryer vent is frozen. last night my wife was drying something and all of sudden my kitchen ceiling is dripping water to the floor. there were puddles of water around the dryer too. so thats fun. 

Not as fun as hooch is having right now tho

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Im the latter because im an asshole. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12400026

That definitely is sucking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

My 2 year old furnace decided to quit on us at about 9:00 last night. That was fun. Waiting for service which may or may not come today. Currently -24 outside, 55 and dropping inside- thank God for fireplaces and electric heaters.

damn dude. 2 years old? i can't imagine four letter words coming out of my mouf if that was my shit. you have to be kidding me. good luck.  

Edited by staboner

I definitely retain a sense of smugness for voluntarily dealing with this shit.  It's the same weird martyrdom complex that's attached to my Cyclones/Vikings fanhood.  I relish putting up with shit that others would bail on.

In all seriousness, it's probably genetic.  I'm the 5th generation to voluntarily live in North Iowa.  If you weren't wired that way a little bit, you would live somewhere where it was nice all the time.

• Like 1

I just texted with my Austin born & bred daughter who's in her freshman year of college in Rochester NY experiencing her first real winter. When I asked how she was handling it, she said:

I'm okay but it's wild out there. It's really the worst. I bundle up in as many clothes as I can, but I made the mistake of only wearing one pair of pants today. My legs were red and freezing. But I'm okay now warm in a bed full of blankets.

Oh, school closed early today at like 5pm and I had to run after class before they closed the commons because I wasn't planning on starving to death.

She then went on about how she can't wait to go with her friends to someplace warm for Spring Break. While I understand the sentiment, I don't relish the idea of her going unchaperoned to someplace like Fort Lauderdale.

You don't walk the dogs. You try to get them to at least step outside to do their buisness but some dogs are just not down with it, so it can be an issue.

I'm now entering night 2 without a furnace. Guys spent 4 hours working on it today but they needed a part they didnt have in order to finish. It'll be a fun story 20 years from now but right now... not so cool.

22 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I just texted with my Austin born & bred daughter who's in her freshman year of college in Rochester NY experiencing her first real winter. When I asked how she was handling it, she said:

She then went on about how she can't wait to go with her friends to someplace warm for Spring Break. While I understand the sentiment, I don't relish the idea of her going unchaperoned to someplace like Fort Lauderdale.

I'll chaperone

giphy.gif

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

You don't walk the dogs. You try to get them to at least step outside to do their buisness but some dogs are just not down with it, so it can be an issue.

I'm now entering night 2 without a furnace. Guys spent 4 hours working on it today but they needed a part they didnt have in order to finish. It'll be a fun story 20 years from now but right now... not so cool.

Au contraire, it sounds waaayyy too cool.

Jesus wtf... you're in minneapolis and they can't find the part locally? I went and got a big mac for supper to get out of the house... my hands froze the entire time even with climate set on 85 degrees.

I'm okay but it's wild out there. It's really the worst. I bundle up in as many clothes as I can, but I made the mistake of only wearing one pair of pants today. My legs were red and freezing. But I'm okay now warm in a bed full of blankets.
Oh, school closed early today at like 5pm and I had to run after class before they closed the commons because I wasn't planning on starving to death.

Your daughter was the really fun type in Panama City. Warn her

flame sensor on my heater is likely fouled/ needing to be cleaned.

heater running like a spotted ape, but blowing cool air.  Burners keep igniting and then shutting down almost immediately.

in house temp still above 60.  Thank gawd I can wait until morning to fix the sumbeech/ go buy a new sensor.

-14 this morning, wind chill about 30-35 below.

Oh and utility company had a fire a natural gas compressor plant and are asking customers to reduce consumption, auto plants are suspending operations

Consumers Energy executives said that a fire at the Ray Township Natural Gas Compressor Station in Macomb County broke out around 10:33 a.m. The fire was quickly brought under control, with no injuries, but now the utility is scrambling to supply enough gas from reserve storage areas in Wayne and St. Clair counties, officials said.

https://www.freep.com/story/weather/2019/01/30/consumers-energy-dte-usage-polar-vortex/2724017002/

-14 this morning, wind chill about 30-35 below.

Oh and utility company had a fire a natural gas compressor plant and are asking customers to reduce consumption, auto plants are suspending operations

Consumers Energy executives said that a fire at the Ray Township Natural Gas Compressor Station in Macomb County broke out around 10:33 a.m. The fire was quickly brought under control, with no injuries, but now the utility is scrambling to supply enough gas from reserve storage areas in Wayne and St. Clair counties, officials said.

https://www.freep.com/story/weather/2019/01/30/consumers-energy-dte-usage-polar-vortex/2724017002/

Our gas provider(Xcel energy) asked the entire state of minnesota to turn their thermostats to 63 last night due to strained system

Hooch is taking one for the team so I left mine

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
10 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Jesus wtf... you're in minneapolis and they can't find the part locally? I went and got a big mac for supper to get out of the house... my hands froze the entire time even with climate set on 85 degrees.

The part can be found locally, they just didn't have it on them and it was after hours by the time they left.  Funny thing is that, although it's a big company, they didn't show up in a company van.  They were in somebody's truck.  They explained that 4 vans in their fleet wouldn't start, forcing them to use their personal vehicles.

On another note, the local utility company has put out notice for everyone to set their thermostats to 55 because they can't keep up with the demand for gas.  This reminds me of the part of my story I haven't told yet.  On the night the furnace went out, we first lost all gas in the house.  So, no furnace, no fireplace, no hot water, no stove.  Wife called the utility and they sent out an emergency crew which determined that the meter had frozen up.  They replaced it and got everything going for about 20 minutes before the furnace quit for an entirely unrelated reason.  Oh, and my one year old dishwasher quit yesterday too- that's awesome.  

At least the liquor stores are open.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Our gas provider(Xcel energy) asked the entire state of minnesota to turn their thermostats to 63 last night due to strained system

Actually I'm not.  The fireplace is running full time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

for you guys in the -20 degree weather, how and where do you walk the dogs?  or do you lay down pads inside the house?  

I dig a path from my front door to where the dog likes to shit (set of bushes adjacent to my front door).  He runs out there on a leash (while stand inside the screen door, like a pussy), does his business, and gets back in about 30-45 seconds flat, because he doesn't have much fur either.

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

When its frikin negative whatever 63 should feel quite balmy. 

26 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

It was 46° this morning when I woke up.  I had to adjust my light sweater collar slightly.  Ah, that's better. 
God bless Texas.

when we are bitching about 102 degrees for 20 days in august, the same assholes freezing now will be basking in 74 degrees.  it evens out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yeah, I turn the temp down to about 55 when we are at work and about 30 minutes before we get home it is scheduled to return to 68. It takes a while but it isn't too bad when I walk in the door.
I'm not living in 55, or 63; and they better not even think about mentioning turning down the water temp, or taking shorter showers...fuck that; I pay my bills, not they need to deliver my nat gas.