2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Went to Walmart today in jeans and a T-shirt with a coat. Hands in pockets on the way in. 

If I’m out in it for a while, head hands feet kept very warm. Wool socks under boots, buff/gator and beanie, and very warm gloves. Long underwear under jeans is usually sufficient. I do have a parka that’s rated to -30 that’s nice to keep warm. 

I keep a small shovel in the truck in case I need to dig snow, and if we go anywhere out of town we bring blankets just in case. 

17 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Stupid question alert,

To people who live in weather with Highs of 25 degrees and lows of -4 on the regular

What's the daily get up for clothing? Are we talking long johns? 

You get acclimated. First winter I was still used to Texas and sweaters were on at 65F and long johns at 45F. Two winters later I didn’t even put gloves on until 25F or lower.  

Wool socks, cap, scarf, and gloves are all above long Johns for me.  My biggest surprise was learning how much of a difference keeping your neck warm with a scarf makes. 

Most people don’t wear anything different for driving to and from work but do keep really warm stuff,  including insulated boots, and blankets in the car incase of a breakdown/stranding. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Went to Walmart today in jeans and a T-shirt with a coat. Hands in pockets on the way in. 

If I’m out in it for a while, head hands feet kept very warm. Wool socks under boots, buff/gator and beanie, and very warm gloves. Long underwear under jeans is usually sufficient. I do have a parka that’s rated to -30 that’s nice to keep warm. 

I keep a small shovel in the truck in case I need to dig snow, and if we go anywhere out of town we bring blankets just in case. 

In Central Texas, you keep a blanket in the car during the summer for when you inevitably blow out a tire.  You ever tried to change a tire on 140 degree asphalt, you understand.  

On 2/2/2019 at 7:36 AM, phdhorn said:

So we're in soupy but warm conditions for the next 3-4 days... Mon and Tues are going to get near 80°.  The lows on Monday and Tuesday nights are going to be almost the daytime normal.   Then that "cold" cold front that was expected on Wednesday has moderated into a "cool" cold front - temps in the mid-50's, not barely 40°.

Update:. Now the front is going to be a little more severe after all, but it'll be a brief shot... temps won't get beyond the mid-40s on Friday, maybe low 5Os Saturday, but then climbing up again near 70 by early next week.

Fri-Sat gonna be the freezers, but no huge polar thing, as we'll have cloud cover at least for the next four or five days, which will keep nighttime temperatures up. If there are any overnight freezes, they'll be sporadic and light.

Edited by phdhorn

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

to change a tire?  what part of the process requires your knees, hips, shoulders, ribs, or hands to touch the ground?

Depends on where your spare is.  On my truck, it's underneath the bed.  Gotta crawl down there to get it, even when it's cranked down.

And I've never had a flat tire in weather under 95 degrees.  Ever.  When I was a kid, we had a blowout outside of Laredo in the summer, it was probably 105.  Helped dad change that one, that was fun.  I've had to change a tire in a parking lot when I had to head to the court of appeals, in a suit.  I just took off my coat, tie, and shirt, did the job, toweled the sweat off, got dressed again, and made it there just in time.  

I have changed a tire in both -10 degree weather, where it just lost air due to the cold, and in 95 degree heat.

I'll take doing it in the heat every day.  Every hot weather tire change I've had was in a situation where I could pull off the asphalt onto a gravel shoulder, however.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Have you changed a tire?  Do you maintain some kind of perfect squat position the entire time?

yeah i've changed a bunch of tires both for fun and out of necessity.  i'm 36 and in the 20 years i've been driving i've had to change a tire on the side of the road three times that I can remember.  all sedans though so my spare's in the trunk.  the only part of the process i can think of where my hands are touching the ground are looking for the nock mark on the frame to place the jack.  

31 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah i've changed a bunch of tires both for fun and out of necessity.  i'm 36 and in the 20 years i've been driving i've had to change a tire on the side of the road three times that I can remember.  all sedans though so my spare's in the trunk.  the only part of the process i can think of where my hands are touching the ground are looking for the nock mark on the frame to place the jack.  

Yeah, I'm usually laying on my stomach looking up under there, kneeling/sitting while putting the wheel back on the lugs, and I've had several vehicles where the spare was mounted underneath.

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Who the fuck changes their own tire anymore...?

Fuck that shit.

I just call roadside service and watch.

Thats great. Last time I had to change a tire, I would have had to walk 20 miles to call roadside service, and then, hoped that roadside service had a 4X4 that could get down the 13 mile dirt "road" to get to me. Oh yeah, and it would have been the next day likely when they would have gotten to me, since it was a Sunday, and the nearest open Roadside assistance was a 3 hour drive away.

25 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

@MNLonghornFUKM, @Parliament, & @Al_4_ISU and other northern residents,

How's your golf game? Try this out for a true Happy Gilmore swing....

Impressive.  I'm a terrible skater (and a terrible golfer).  Iowa has almost no hockey culture.  I guess we just aren't quite "north" enough for it.  Which sucks, because I love the sport.

My lovely bride is leaving early tomorrow for a work trip. Yellowstone is a tiny airport so it’s walk out to the tarmac and up the stair car. Boarding time weather forecast is -10 with a wind chil around -25. Hope she gets in the front of the line or that will be a painful shuffle. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1-2 punch going on right now.  Pacific front just coming in, will make things less muggy and a bit cooler today (highs in 60's), but that's just the warmup act (pun intended).

About dinner time, the Motherfucking Cold As Shit Front is coming in.  The cold behind it is cold.  Temps will drop through the night to about 34° by tomorrow morning and not go up much more, mid-40's if we're lucky Fri and Sat.  By Sun temps back near 60° and normal (60's) thru next week.

Get your pets, plants, pipes, wives, unloved kids in for the evening.  Not a freeze (maybe in some parts west) but 2 cold ones coming up, and I don't mean the barley kind. 

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Sounds like the problem of the poor.

By the way I bet you $100 you cannot change a tire in 5 minutes.

Now a days? No. Back when you opened the trunk and the spare was right there to grab yes.  

Grew up working my grandparents farm during the summers. Changing a tire on trailers or other equipment was a weekly thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Now a days? No. Back when you opened the trunk and the spare was right there to grab yes.  

Grew up working my grandparents farm during the summers. Changing a tire on trailers or other equipment was a weekly thing.

This.  I've changed tires on cars, trucks, farm trucks, tractors, jeeps....so long as it's not an utter pain in the ass getting to the spare and getting it ready, I can probably change a tire in 10 minutes.  Back in my younger, faster-moving days, 5-6 minutes was doable.  Seriously.  Everyone needs to be able to change his/her own damned tire.  Maybe you have AAA, maybe you can get someone to do it for you....but maybe you'll be someplace where you can't, or it will be a time when you can't wait on AAA.

God we're a nation of pussies.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I've changed tires on cars, trucks, farm trucks, tractors, jeeps....so long as it's not an utter pain in the ass getting to the spare and getting it ready, I can probably change a tire in 10 minutes.  Back in my younger, faster-moving days, 5-6 minutes was doable.  Seriously.  Everyone needs to be able to change his/her own damned tire.  Maybe you have AAA, maybe you can get someone to do it for you....but maybe you'll be someplace where you can't, or it will be a time when you can't wait on AAA.

God we're a nation of pussies.

Right on.

90% of my travel occurs in a situation where I'd be waiting at least 30 minutes to get AAA there.  Even the most annoyingly located spare can be changed in that time.

54 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you carried a cordless impact and a small floor jack, about anyone can change a car tire quickly.

It's the rummaging for the spare, the crappy lug wrench, and the shitty little jack that can never quite seem to lift your vehicle enough that takes time.

i used to keep a breaker bar in my trunk.  skinned my knuckles too many times using the little wrench that comes with the car.  also the part that takes the longest without fail is putting all the stuff back.  especially the jack.

• Like 1

Not too bad, gonna get a little breezy here tonight, but as Burt said it's just winter.

I hate that the national weather media decided to name storms and creates a frenzy with weather, and some techie created a map that you can highlight an area and it determines that 11.4 bazillion people who live there will be affected by storm system  Gacy/Dahmer/Lecter/Aggy.

...Rain showers today will quickly change to snow showers
this evening. Wet roads will quickly freeze by late this
evening. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches expected,
highest amounts toward Lake Michigan. Snow and blowing snow
will become likely overnight. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph

When I was a kid, storms weren't a big deal until the National Guard had to be called out. It happened twice that I can remember, when highways became unpassable and cars were stuck. They would roll out in deuce and half's, throw people in the back and take them to a shelter

Just finished round 2 of snow blowing that had 4 foot drifts from last night.

Missed my garbage pick up.

Life is great. That's a school a few blocks away that disappears completely during the big gusts.

How are you holding up

a451727957e9c5e653afb40bfb418204.jpg
I'm in West Yellowstone where it's -23. Waiting for it to warm up some so we can go riding.

Driving back tomorrow and the roads and weather look clear.