The Importance of the Iowa State Game

BigOrange1

"texas is back!" has become a popular internet meme, but whether or not that is actually the case is still to be determined.

"on the way back," or "heading in the right direction" are probably more apt descriptions of the season thus far.  and both of those phrases will probably still be more true of the programs overall direction than the popular interne meme regardless of the result of saturday night's game against iowa state.

however...

there is an awful lot, both tangible and intangible, riding on this game.

win the game:

• you're still alive in the big 12 championship race (could even be in the driver's seat depending upon the result of the wvu/ok state game) which has been tom herman's stated goal all year long.
  • a 9-3 finish to the regular season (assuming a win over kansas) is something even the most optimistic fan would have had trouble believing after the maryland game (hell, even after the tulsa game).
  • even if you miss out on the big 12 championship game, you still have a solid chance of making a new year's 6 bowl game and finishing the season in the top 10.
  • a 9-3 regular season should lead to a sense of optimism heading into the offseason and into the 2019 season -- both among the team and the fanbase.  i think it matters if you go into an offseason feeling good about what you've done and where things are headed.
  • a 9-3 regular season should be a real sell to recruits.  texas has not won 9 games since 2012 and that included a bowl win.  the last time they won 9 regular season games? the 2009 season which resulted in a trip to the national championship game.  if herman can show that kind of progress in his 2nd year, i expect that the class of 2020 will take close notice.

lose the game:

• your big 12 championship dreams die
  • an 8-4 regular season is still an improvement (haven't won 8 since 2013), but it's not quite the step forward that 9-3 and in contention for the conference championship in the final week of the season would be.
  • best case scenario bowl wise is the alamo bowl against a middling pac 12 team.
  • a fanbase that isn't as quite as excited/optimistic about the state of the program.  you see it on this very board.  before the ok state game, this board was overwhelmingly positive and optimistic.  after the west virginia game, there were plenty of people who were as mad and upset as they were after the maryland game -- almost ignoring everything that had happened in between.

regardless of the outcome of this week's game, i think most objective observers would argue that texas is heading in the right direction under tom herman.  however the result of this game should go a long way in showing just how far they've come or how far they still have to go.  for these reasons, it could be argued that this is one of the biggest games of the early tom herman era.

thoughts?

• Like 9

Yes, we absolutely have to win this game.  It's the biggest game of our season to date, by far.  Everything you said in your post is true.

Fortunately, Herman knows this and our players know this.  I am confident that we are going to leave it all on the field and play a great game.  Here's to hoping that will be enough to win.

A win this week would be undeniably huge. Especially given our opponent. Iowa State is on a five-game winning streak and, on paper, has the tools to beat us handily. I'm unconvinced our defense can be fixed this year and if ISU is smart they'll attack Wheeler and Locke relentlessly. Meanwhile, Sam will have to throw into the teeth of one of the best defenses in the conference.

Winning this game will say a lot about how far we've come and where we're headed.

• Like 1

If your "marquee" program is sweating a win AT HOME against Iowa State to prove it's "Back"...then you're really not close to being "back"  

That said, the Cyclones are a good team and I guess I'm cheering wildly for Oklahoma State this weekend as well...

Players and coaches will be rightfully jacked for this game.  Good job OP in laying out the implications.  

Last year we started using the lightening package after playing ISU.  Id love to see some sort of schematic change to get more

1) pressure on the QB

2) more defenders in the box to stop the run.  

As it is, people can run and pass on us.  Now is the time to let it all out, make changes.  Go for it.    Making no change to our scheme suggests the staff is being stubborn and lacks objectivity. 

We have a mountain of evidence our defense is failing in the current scheme.  This game is against a higher level defense and we must get stops.  At least trying a different scheme seems reasonable (5-2 is my personal preference given our d line/LB situation) 

Any scheme allowing Omenihu and Hager to rush from the outside and forcing the center and guards to account for true interior linemen, would be an improvment.  

As far as the secondary, have the scheme be simple—man the hell up.  We are getting at least two touchdowns a game where its a simple blown assignment where freshmen forget their responsibilites as well as simply getting beat.  The increased pressure on the QB from more down linemen would mean the QB would have less time to make plays.  

Worst case scenario?  We try the scheme and they score.  Thats what they have done all year long anyway and at least we tried something else. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xcalibur said:

This is a shitty entitlement attitude.  Iowa State is very good.  This is the same team that punked OU in Norman last season, pants'ed OKSt in Stillwater, and crushed WVU in Ames.  This is a game that informed fans would worry about even if we were all the way "back."

I'm not entitled.  That's the point of my post.  We're not back.  We're 9-4 at best.  Iowa State is good.  Texas is good.  Neither is great.  I don't think our recruits nor Herman are worth the hype.  But I'm all in this weekend, so here we go...

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If your "marquee" program is sweating a win AT HOME against Iowa State to prove it's "Back"...then you're really not close to being "back"  

That said, the Cyclones are a good team and I guess I'm cheering wildly for Oklahoma State this weekend as well...

I'm sorry but this is just a weird take. This isn't the Iowa State team of ten years ago. They have a damn good coach that will be snatched up by a blue blood very soon and a quality defense in a conference not known for it. Not to mention they're the only team to beat West Virginia, something we failed to do a home. Yes, we're Texas, but this is still a "marquee" game for our program.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's all relative. This was a marquee team last decade and in the past. It isn't this decade at all. Only by the name of the program. This win would be huge. We are not above that right now. Plus, they are ranked 16 and on a good run. They handed WVU their only loss and did it in dominating fashion.

Just curious. As a Cyclone fan I like to read the Nebraska/Texas big 12 championship story every year at this time with it being game week and all. I could not find that story. Anyone have that story saved. It's kind of like my "Twas the night before Christmas" of football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

agree with all three previous posters.  this is a win we really need to have.  texas won't be "back" until we play for an nc, but we need it to show steady gains in the program.

A little harsh on your requirements for Texas is "Back" maybe....

For me when Texas Wins a B12 Championship and is deserving of a CFP bid because they are undefeated or a one Loss team..... then I would consider that "Texas is Back". 🤘

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm not entitled.  That's the point of my post.  We're not back.  We're 9-4 at best.  Iowa State is good.  Texas is good.  Neither is great.  I don't think our recruits nor Herman are worth the hype.  But I'm all in this weekend, so here we go...

Stop with this bullshit, OU last year lost to a worse Iowa State team arguably than this one and made the CFP. Who has said we are back? Quit with the straw man to try and sound like the smartest guy in the room.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Um. No? Did you not watch us play OU and WVU?

I know it's weird saying that the ISU game is bigger than the OU or WVU games, but at this point in the season and with what's on the line, it's true, relative to where we were and what was on the line in those other 2 games.  

Let's look at what was on the line had we lost to OU:  At that point, we would have been 2-1 in conference play and still in complete control of our own destiny insofar as reaching the conference championship game.

Now let's look at what was on the line when we actually lost to WVU:  We fell to 3-2 in conference play.  Winning that game would've been amazing for our conference crown chances, as it would have all but assured us an appearance in the CCG.  But at that point, with OU and WVU both already having a conference loss and still having yet to play each other, our hopes of appearing in the CCG remained very much alive, and still do.

Now, what's on the line with the game this weekend?  The OP sums it up nicely.  If we win, we have a very good shot of playing for the conference title.  If we lose, we are eliminated.  Plain and simple.  This is the biggest game of our season to date.

• Like 1

Just now, Xcalibur said:

I know it's weird saying that the ISU game is bigger than the OU or WVU games, but at this point in the season and with what's on the line, it's true, relative to where we were and what was on the line in those other 2 games.  

Let's look at what was on the line had we lost to OU:  At that point, we would have been 2-1 in conference play and still in complete control of our own destiny insofar as reaching the conference championship game.

Now let's look at what was on the line when we actually lost to WVU:  We fell to 3-2 in conference play.  Winning that game would've been amazing for our conference crown chances, as it would have all but assured us an appearance in the CCG.  But at that point, with OU and WVU both already having a conference loss and still having yet to play each other, our hopes of appearing in the CCG remained very much alive, and still do.

Now, what's on the line with the game this weekend?  The OP sums it up nicely.  If we win, we have a very good shot of playing for the conference title.  If we lose, we are eliminated.  Plain and simple.  This is the biggest game of our season to date.

You're a moron. We needed to beat WVU to control our own destiny. That was the biggest game on the schedule this season outside of OU and it isn't close.

Even if we beat ISU there is still a good chance we dont play in the CCG. 

This isn't aggy. It's not about hypotheticals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Stop with this bullshit, OU last year lost to a worse Iowa State team arguably than this one and made the CFP. Who has said we are back? Quit with the straw man to try and sound like the smartest guy in the room.

who said "we are back"?  Do you read the fucking newspaper?  After OU, that was literally every other headline.  The fucking OP referenced that fact in his opening line.  He wasn't saying we are, but he was pointing out the fact that several prominent news outlets and fans were contending that "Texas is Back"  Iowa State is good, I've said it exhaustively.  It's impossible you're this stupid.  

Just now, ztejas said:

You're a moron. We needed to beat WVU to control our own destiny. That was the biggest game on the schedule this season outside of OU and it isn't close.

Even if we beat ISU there is still a good chance we dont play in the CCG. 

This isn't aggy. It's not about hypotheticals.

Dude, I generally liked you as a poster before now, but you're acting like a little bitch.  Did you not read my post at all?  I said this point relative to other points in the season is much more significant than any other point in the season.  We can't go back to the WVU game-- we lost that game.  But we can still get to the CCG by beating ISU on Saturday.  We have a more-likely-than-not chance of making the CCG with a win.  That is not hypothetical at all.  You are the apparent moron here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

you could have just said 'We're Texas' and left it at that.

every single thing OP said is true. it's a very important game for this program/season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

who said "we are back"?  Do you read the fucking newspaper?  After OU, that was literally every other headline.  The fucking OP referenced that fact in his opening line.  He wasn't saying we are, but he was pointing out the fact that several prominent news outlets and fans were contending that "Texas is Back"  Iowa State is good, I've said it exhaustively.  It's impossible you're this stupid.  

Numb nuts, you referred to people saying we would be back if we beat Iowa State... Who said that? Just a dumb ass straw man poster trying to make yourself feel smart.

I bet Clemson this year didn't think they were going to be sweating a home game against Syracuse this season. Guess they aren't "back". That mindset makes no sense, but to each their own.

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

10 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Dude, I generally liked you as a poster before now, but you're acting like a little bitch.  Did you not read my post at all?  I said this point relative to other points in the season is much more significant than any other point in the season.  We can't go back to the WVU game-- we lost that game.  But we can still get to the CCG by beating ISU on Saturday.  We have a more-likely-than-not chance of making the CCG with a win.  That is not hypothetical at all.  You are the apparent moron here.

I'm acting like a little bitch? You're trying to tell me that our season rides on beating Iowa State.

If we hadn't stumbled on our own dicks against OSU or WVU this game would be an afterthought. 

Take a step back and look at the big picture champ. 

• Fuck You 6

Just now, ztejas said:

I'm acting like a little bitch? You're trying to tell me that our season rides on beating Iowa State.

If we hadn't stumbled on our own dicks against OSU or WVU this game would be an afterthought. 

Take a step back and look at the big picture champ. 

Considering that I view "playing for the conference title" as "our season," then yes.  Our season does fucking ride on beating Iowa State.  Why is that such an undesirable truth for you?

And you're right, it would be an afterthought had we not tripped on our dicks earlier this year.  But we did.  We can make up for it by winning out.   

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

are you referencing the game you said wasn't even worthy of discussion because it was such a gimme?

you're a fucking cunt. leave this site.

This entire thread is garbage as is your negging bitchassness. I expect OU to win out and play WVU for the title game. If we somehow sneak in at this point it will be a bonus on the season. I'm more interested in looking at what our 2 deep is going to look like next year. 

Also - your username is fucking retarded and you don't even have a profile pic. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Fuck You 2

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "back". 

In any case I have no clue what your point is here. If Iowa State is good and Texas is good and a Conference Championship game is on the line then it is a big game regardless of some arbitrary nonsense about being "back". Anyway "Texas is Back" is a joke, a meme, and is not something to be taken seriously. Nowhere in the OP was it even asserted that "Texas was back" so I am not even sure why you brought that up, it is irrelevant  to the rest of the points in the OP.

Edited by Valmy77