The Importance of the Iowa State Game

BigOrange1

This is a shitty entitlement attitude.  Iowa State is very good.  This is the same team that punked OU in Norman last season, pants'ed OKSt in Stillwater, and crushed WVU in Ames.  This is a game that informed fans would worry about even if we were all the way "back."
Hate to say it, but TSRH. ^^^^

23 minutes ago, Agent47 said:

When I'm wrong it's because of cheating or unparalleled weirdness or because I'm being selfish. I don't feel like the Big 12 will cheat Texas like they have in recent years because they need the bowl game TVs, I think both Iowa State & Texas have already experienced enough weirdness of late (Iowa State's grand upsets have already been many and Texas' odd coaching issues and struggles to "get back" have to end at some point) and I'm not being selfish because Texas hasn't won shit in a decade.

College Football needs a good/great Texas. Meaning, they need a great team in the west. The PAC is awful and USC is faltering. And Michigan is not a western program.

Clemson vs Alabama is getting boring. And OU, Notre Dame and Ohio State are each just too unloveable.

I will be shocked if the PAC wins a title in the next 10 years. Their brand of football fucking sucks. 

3 hours ago, Texas25 said:

Look at the replacements on the OLine, RB, and even QB to an extent this year. I'll admit it is blind faith because we won't know until we see them play, but you can't tell me our defense is going to be any worse next year with guys like Anthony Wheeler, PJ Locke, and Kris Boyd gone. Brandon Jones, Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, and Anthony Cook all return. Add to that Jalen Green, Demarvion Overshown, Ayodele Adeoye all redshirted and will probably contribute in some capacity next year. Then guys like Keondre Coburn (listed at 330lbs) and Jamari Chisholm could ball out. A healthy Malcolm Roach returns as well. I know one thing is for sure, a lot of the guys that have played support roles this year or that have redshirted, are likely going to be baptized by fire next year against LSU, fortunately it is at home and we get a warm up game against Louisiana Tech. 3 of our first 4 games are at home (4/4 if you include the game in Houston against Rice), the schedule sets up nicely. We also get Oklahoma State and West Virginia early and both will be replacing QBs.

I'm most concerned about LB and whether or not Coburn can be the cog in the middle of the defense I believe he is capable of being.

LSU will be a tough one, but that offense shouldn't strike fear into Texas next year.  Let's see if Greedy, the stud LB, and some of the DL guys leave early.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

3 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I don't find it hard to imagine a better defense at all. Not including the last couple games? Then lets revisit our two huge early wins (and Maryland) again. JT Daniels has 11 TDs and 9 INTs this year. Shawn Robinsonhas thrown 9 TDs and 8 INTs this year, before being benched. Maryland has been held to 14, 0 and 3 points this year (and none of those teams that kicked their asses are ranked right now). I'm not saying this to rehash our failures, I'm saying this year has been one big failure on defense. This isn't some new phenomenon that came after Kyler Murray, this defense has been suspect all year and finally played some teams with an offensive pulse.  Therefore expecting our defense to not be a big failure next year again would be a pretty low bar I'd be willing to set.

The only player I'm really worried about replacing is Nelson. Everybody else has production that is replaceable. I wish I could add G. Johnson to the list, but even he has had a pretty shitty 2nd half of this season.

I knew that qualifier wasn't quite accurate when I wrote it. The argument of "it can't get any worse" doesn't hold much weight for me considering what all we lose. If Adeoye was better than Wheeler, he would've been put in. Josh Thomas is probably better than Locke in coverage, but isn't as physical in the run game. Member when the staff thought Boyce was the third best option at corner? I member. I also member Okie State when he was our 4th best option for a quarter. Hager running himself out of play? Bimage is still looking like a redshirt freshman (and that's ok.) 

Point is, we'll all hope it gets better but the depth chart suggests otherwise. I think the best we can all hope for is the youngins learn in a hurry, including Floyd when he gets here in January. There's no experience like game experience, though, so I foresee some growing pains with some flashes of good things to come. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There is more to defense than the depth chart. Our depth chart on O isn't much better than it was last year. Yet they are rolling. 

Yeah and if they can find an Anderson and Watson in the offseason, have healthy contributions from consistently injured players like Rodriguez and Beck, we'll be cooking with gas. I know what you're getting at though. 

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah and if they can find an Anderson and Watson in the offseason, have healthy contributions from consistently injured players like Rodriguez and Beck, we'll be cooking with gas. I know what you're getting at though. 

I am a rare bird that thinks all three of Herman, Beck and Orlando know what they are doing. I think they made us look good from Tulsa to RapeU - and I think part of the crash has been freshman walls, fatigue, injuries and the fact that we just aren't 2 deep anywhere meaningful yet. 

Give them an offseason and let some of these babies get a little hair on their chest and I think we will at the least be able to scheme well next season and should likely have the best secondary in the B12. 

Don't ask me about the DLine. I've already drank enough this week. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I knew that qualifier wasn't quite accurate when I wrote it. The argument of "it can't get any worse" doesn't hold much weight for me considering what all we lose. If Adeoye was better than Wheeler, he would've been put in. Josh Thomas is probably better than Locke in coverage, but isn't as physical in the run game. Member when the staff thought Boyce was the third best option at corner? I member. I also member Okie State when he was our 4th best option for a quarter. Hager running himself out of play? Bimage is still looking like a redshirt freshman (and that's ok.) 

Point is, we'll all hope it gets better but the depth chart suggests otherwise. I think the best we can all hope for is the youngins learn in a hurry, including Floyd when he gets here in January. There's no experience like game experience, though, so I foresee some growing pains with some flashes of good things to come. 

False, Adeoye has been battling an injury most of the season, not sure exactly when he was cleared to play, but you don't throw a Freshman who hasn't had a ton of reps (because he has been hurt) in the game in place of a Senior.

The premise of your argument is that there is no way you can logically think we are going to get better replacing older guys with younger guys, I guess that is simply the way you choose to look at it, but that angle doesn't hold much weight either, otherwise Bama wouldn't be dominating every year.

Either way this conference is one gigantic grading curve on defense, as shocking as it may be, we are the 4th most efficient defense in this conference. TCU is 2nd and they gave up 52 to Oklahoma and 47 to West Virginia. Iowa State is the only "real" defense in the conference and even they have been torched at times. Biggest difference between last year and this year is inability to stop the run which starts with the NT in this defense.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My concern with Dele specifically is that he doesn't have the lateral agility necessary to keep up with the spread offenses in the Big 12. If his insticts are even adequate (compared to Wheeler), it might be enough, but I'm not sure he can hold up as a 3-down linebacker.

If we can find someone with speed to play along side of him (no idea who that would be at this point) he'll be fine. Wheeler looked decent when playing next to Malik. Dele is a big dude though for a linebacker, believe he is listed at 250.

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

1-7 on senior night since 2010. God damm. Thst would be all over the locker room if I were Herman. I will be very disappointed if they don't come out fired up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well we could go full aggy and hold senior night early to avoid the potential loss like they’re doing this year.  And good god the derails on this thread topic are off the charts....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

False, Adeoye has been battling an injury most of the season, not sure exactly when he was cleared to play, but you don't throw a Freshman who hasn't had a ton of reps (because he has been hurt) in the game in place of a Senior.

The premise of your argument is that there is no way you can logically think we are going to get better replacing older guys with younger guys, I guess that is simply the way you choose to look at it, but that angle doesn't hold much weight either, otherwise Bama wouldn't be dominating every year.

I forgot he was injured to start the season so I'll give you that but it looks like we agree there's currently not a better option right now for Wheeler. 

And as I've already stated multiple times, I don't think we fall off a cliff next year. Just that it's not a guarantee we're better because "addition by subtraction."

6 minutes ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

Well we could go full aggy and hold senior night early to avoid the potential loss like they’re doing this year.  And good god the derails on this thread topic are off the charts....

Holy shit I googled this because I thought you were joking. Even better because UAB is ranked in the coaches poll and got more votes in the AP poll than they did. Would be awesome if it backfired.

We have seniors that very clearly don't know what the fuck they're doing. Foster has shown he has good instincts, even if he hasn't quite caught up to the speed/ complexity of the college game. Agree that he could be deadly as a weak side edge defender in the 2-4 Nickel look with time.

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

BJ Foster learning how to play the outside in a 3-4 would do us wonders. 

He needs to get bigger (which he probably will, as long as he doesn't get injured). Okie Lite was killing him on the outside runs, he just wasn't big enough to set the edge and Wheeler was too damn slow to get there. Deadly combo.

Edited by satyanash

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Holy shit I googled this because I thought you were joking. Even better because UAB is ranked in the coaches poll and got more votes in the AP poll than they did. Would be awesome if it backfired.

Don't worry today I learned that retard aggys in the 90s were trying to "reinvent" alchemy. You know - that bullshit pseudoscience where people 600 years ago thought you could change the chemical bonds of elements. 

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We have seniors that very clearly don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Underrated observation and part of the reason I think we look sharper next year. I'm done with these Charlie guys. They are either soft as shit or don't know the schemes or both. 

Don't worry today I learned that retard aggys in the 90s were trying to "reinvent" alchemy. You know - that bullshit pseudoscience where people 600 years ago thought you could change the chemical bonds of elements. 

In 1980 scientists at Cal St. Berkeley actually proved the possibility of the transmutation of elements by turning a base metal, bismuth, into gold. Unfortunately, If I remember correctly the cost per ounce would be somewhere north of $1 billion.

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

In 1980 scientists at Cal St. Berkeley actually proved the possibility of the transmutation of elements by turning a base metal, bismuth, into gold. Unfortunately, If I remember correctly the cost per ounce would be somewhere north of $1 billion.

I knew I'd get hit for talking out of my ass about chemistry. 

Still - what they did at Cal St. Berkeley pales in comparison to the aggy retardation I read earlier. 

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So less than Kyle Field renovations?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I wanna win the coin flip and be on offense to start the game.  Score and put the pressure on them.  So so tired of it happening the other way around.

You're not very Mensa. Why would you give ISU the ball to start the second half when they get their star RB back?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm acting like a little bitch? You're trying to tell me that our season rides on beating Iowa State.

If we hadn't stumbled on our own dicks against OSU or WVU this game would be an afterthought. 

Take a step back and look at the big picture champ. 

I would say the OU is the big game, it is every year and they are the only real national contender and blue blood we play in conference. After beating them, WV was the biggest game, beat them and this game doesn't matter other than rankings and record.  If we had won that one then sitting here only needing to beat one of KU/ISU for the CCG would have been a great place.

ISU is a big game, but it's just a game to stay alive in the conversation. Still need one of several things to happen, so not the biggest game of the year.  

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I would say the OU is the big game, it is every year and they are the only real national contender and blue blood we play in conference. After beating them, WV was the biggest game, beat them and this game doesn't matter other than rankings and record.  If we had won that one then sitting here only needing to beat one of KU/ISU for the CCG would have been a great place.

ISU is a big game, but it's just a game to stay alive in the conversation. Still need one of several things to happen, so not the biggest game of the year.  

I'm of the opinion that OU wins out as per usual and we're screwed either way. I guess the couch burners could drop one in Stillwater but I doubt they will. This is the best Mountaineer team in years. 

6 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I feel like the rest of the Big 12 conspires against us and intentionally lose to OU to let them win the conference championship every year.

How else do you explain Gundy and Leach and Holgorson and Snyder and Pellini and Mangino losing to Stoops every year?
And Oklahoma State? Can't they ever give us even a LITTLE help?
I mean how do you play a winning game and then miss an XP, setting up the need for a 2pt conversion, and then the 45 year old QB that's been nails all game chooses that moment to throw it in the dirt?

Stupid Cowboys teams choking away OU games.

29 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

After beating them, WV was the biggest game, beat them and this game doesn't matter other than rankings and record.  If we had won that one then sitting here only needing to beat one of KU/ISU for the CCG would have been a great place.

That's wrong.  Even if we beat WVU, if ISU beats us, they would have the tiebreaker against both a 2 loss Texas team and 2 loss WVU team.  This game was always going to be an elimination game.  The only difference is the winner doesn't control their own destiny.

These threads are something else. Wasn't there one that called the 2nd half of Maryland the biggest half of football in Texas history or something?

Honestly, this is game between 2 ranked teams, so it's big in that regard. Outside of that, it's just a Texas vs Iowa State game that the overwhelming majority of the country won't be able to watch. The winner in all likelihood won't even make the Big 12 title game. I think Texas will win this easy and still miss out on going to the CCG. I'd bet that when the season's over hardly anyone will remember it happened. OU, WVU, Tech, those are all games that people will remember. 

28 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That's wrong.  Even if we beat WVU, if ISU beats us, they would have the tiebreaker against both a 2 loss Texas team and 2 loss WVU team.  This game was always going to be an elimination game.  The only difference is the winner doesn't control their own destiny.

That's right, I knew that and forgot it in the moment.  Tech would have been the gimme game if we had beat WV.  ISU became important once we lost to OSU. 

2 hours ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

What a bunch of fagets.  I hope this blows up in their face.  I'm guessing when they signed this contract last year they never foresaw UAB coming in 9-1.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

What a bunch of fagets.  I hope this blows up in their face.  I'm guessing when they signed this contract last year they never foresaw UAB coming in 9-1.

This is what high school coaches of terrible programs do.  which means it is exactly up aggy's alley.

21 hours ago, Skipper said:

I get what you're saying, but a 5-2 with Hakeem Butler on the field does not sound like a recipe for success.

Right, but the recipe for stopping every wide receiver this year has been weak.  Boyd has been winning about 70% of his match ups.  Pair them up and increase the pass rush.  

Our current scheme seems to allow both running and passing at will.  At least stop one fully and dropping 8 hasnt done squat.  So maybe sell out in stopping the run.  

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

These threads are something else. Wasn't there one that called the 2nd half of Maryland the biggest half of football in Texas history or something?

Honestly, this is game between 2 ranked teams, so it's big in that regard. Outside of that, it's just a Texas vs Iowa State game that the overwhelming majority of the country won't be able to watch. The winner in all likelihood won't even make the Big 12 title game. I think Texas will win this easy and still miss out on going to the CCG. I'd bet that when the season's over hardly anyone will remember it happened. OU, WVU, Tech, those are all games that people will remember. 

All of this is straight up wrong and you should visit the conference championship scenario thread lest you look like a dumbass. This also aint your older brother's Iowa State team.

14 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Haven’t read this entire thread but good lord a lot of people picking us to lose. (Media folk)

Which is neither surprising nor unjustified.

On another note, tomorrow's game isn't just about the Big 12. Even if things don't fall our way and blOU-WVU is the conference championship, at 9-3 we'd have an outside shot at making a NY6 bowl (it'd likely come down to us or Florida unless UCF loses). Winning a NY6 bowl over a premier opponent, getting to 10 wins, and the accompanying exposure would be absolutely HUGE heading into 2019. It would also be a validation of the work Herman and his staff have put in since 2017.

42 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Haven’t read this entire thread but good lord a lot of people picking us to lose. (Media folk)

This is the strongest Iowa State team in decades and have either beaten or almost beaten the traditional Big XII heavy hitters they've faced this season. With our defense leaking like a sieve I, for one, am not surprised.