Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

Kliff is a smart guy who has worked in college and (as a player) in the NFL. He is young by 2019 standards, but let’s not kid ourselves; he is much older than a lot of big leaders were at their moments of trial in history. 30 is not a child.good chance he flames out. Nonzero chance he does well. Has offensive chops, smart guy, not a super-charismatic fellow, but is not a caveman lawyer by any means. Had solid recs from more than one NFL coach, including some idoit named Belichick. When most of his in-year classmates in school were struggling with how to write a grammatically correct sentence, he was in calculus and doing well. He might just figure out how to organize what he knows and delegate what he does not.

5 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

It’s not like theres a lot of black “spread” coaches available to choose from.

LOL ok that possibly is an even worse take. Yes. Kliff is the only person who can coach a spread offense and he is required to be a head coach in order to implement it.

The "spread" is decades old. Such a tiny number of people can understand these crazy advanced concepts that we have to hire a failed college coach to be our head coach.

It makes no damn sense at all.

Edited by Valmy77

17 hours ago, Here’s the deal said:

Stupid take Acho!  It’s not like theres a lot of black “spread” coaches available to choose from.  Ridiculous to make this about the color of his skin.

Reciting indisputable facts (hell, AZ mentioned his "friendship" with McVay in their official announcement) is a "stupid take?"

So you think he was given this opportunity because he was white and wouldn’t have been considered if he was black?  What am I missing?

I’m saying there is zero objective criteria that indicates that he would be even marginally successful as a HC. The only objective criteria available actually says that he’s a near-massive failure.

So that leaves only subjective criteria as being the reason he was hired. Whether that criteria was his looks, the sound of his voice, the color of his skin, crazy Madden skills, the evenness of his facial stubble....whatever, who knows. But success/failure in the position of HC was absolutely not any part of the equation.

Hell, Mark Mangino has equal (if not superior) acumen running the same offense.

Who’s the last guy that had ZERO NFL experience AND was a shitty college head coach that got a HC job “just because he might be awesome,”

I’ve been wrong before....hell, usually.... but I’d bet heavily that he’ll be a failure at the NFL level.

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I’m saying there is zero objective criteria that indicates that he would be even marginally successful as a HC. The only objective criteria available actually says that he’s a near-massive failure.

So that leaves only subjective criteria as being the reason he was hired. Whether that criteria was his looks, the sound of his voice, the color of his skin, crazy Madden skills, the evenness of his facial stubble....whatever, who knows. But success/failure in the position of HC was absolutely not any part of the equation.

Who’s the last guy that had ZERO NFL experience AND was a shitty college head coach that got a HC job “just because he might be awesome,”

I’ve been wrong before....hell, usually.... but I’d bet heavily that he’ll be a failure at the NFL level.

You may be right.  My “bad take” comment was clearly in reference to Acho inferring race was involved in the decision.

Acho claimed “no” merit. I think what he meant was “not enough that I agree.” Kliff has HC experience— objective fact. Kliff recruited and/or coached multiple QBs who had far above-mean passing statistics, won the Heisman and/or set NFL records. Kliff has been in the NFL. Kliff has a 4-year degree. None of those is subjective. Every one is verifiable fact. It is legitimate to say, “I think he is a bad choice, and here are weaknesses of his or strengths of an alternative.” To say his only qualification is whiteness is in fact demonstrably false.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

How do you think it was meant? Because the only thing he and mcvay have in common is they are young white guys.

Acho Tweet:  "Resembles McVay"   

ie.... looks like McVay 

Same as saying Holgy resembles Kingpin character..... (Not a racial comment)

----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Acho intended it as you stated, but I really hope not

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/9/2019 at 7:21 PM, LTtxfan said:

Acho Tweet:  "Resembles McVay"   

ie.... looks like McVay 

Same as saying Holgy resembles Kingpin character..... (Not a racial comment)

----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Acho intended it as you stated, but I really hope not

Yeah, I mean he does look like McVay. Acho is not one to mince words, no need to insert some meaning you want in order to be FAKE OUTRAGED. We have too much of that going around these days.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:14 PM, Magus Ossis said:

Acho claimed “no” merit. I think what he meant was “not enough that I agree.” Kliff has HC experience— objective fact. Kliff recruited and/or coached multiple QBs who had far above-mean passing statistics, won the Heisman and/or set NFL records. Kliff has been in the NFL. Kliff has a 4-year degree. None of those is subjective. Every one is verifiable fact. It is legitimate to say, “I think he is a bad choice, and here are weaknesses of his or strengths of an alternative.” To say his only qualification is whiteness is in fact demonstrably false.

Kliff has a "foundation" set, that with good supporting cast (players), he may be able to excel in the NFC, (in my case in Phoenix at times, I hope so)...

On 1/9/2019 at 8:08 PM, MirrOlure said:

He'll probably be a failure, but he's being hired based on his status as a QB whisperer in addition to his version of the air raid. With all the hype around Mahomes and Mayfield someone was gonna take a shot on him. If they just hired him as an OC and he was successful he would be hired away as a HC at another team within two years, so Arizona is taking a gamble. They want to fix their passing game and if Kliff is able to, making him HC means he might stay with them for the next twenty years. If it doesnt work just fire him like anyone else. Kliff has far more potential upside than most hires, even if he's probably gonna blow massive chunks. I like this more than just hiring the same old retreads.

• Like 1

He'll probably be a failure, but he's being hired based on his status as a QB whisperer in addition to his version of the air raid. With all the hype around Mahomes and Mayfield someone was gonna take a shot on him. If they just hired him as an OC and he was successful he would be hired away as a HC at another team within two years, so Arizona is taking a gamble. They want to fix their passing game and if Kliff is able to, making him HC means he might stay with them for the next twenty years. If it doesnt work just fire him like anyone else. Kliff has far more potential upside than most hires, even if he's probably gonna blow massive chunks. I like this more than just hiring the same old retreads.

This. Worst case, he sucks and you fire him in two years and your still the same usual Arizona Cardinals.

Let him draw up plays, mentor your young QB and then hire someone that teaches discipline on defense and keep the fuck away from that side of the ball. He doesn’t have to worry about recruiting and flirting with moms anymore, more time to draw up plays.

1 hour ago, Gigglebush said:

1 minute ago, TTU13 said:

This. Worst case, he sucks and you fire him in two years and your still the same usual Arizona Cardinals.

Let him draw up plays, mentor your young QB and then hire someone that teaches discipline on defense and keep the fuck away from that side of the ball. He doesn’t have to worry about recruiting and flirting with moms anymore, more time to draw up plays.

He’s a gamble. The goal is to shoot for the moon in such fashion that failure is complete if it happens. Viewed from next coach game theory it makes sense. Kliff isn’t a 9-7 vet who will routinely miss the playoffs and get no draft priority. He is a lottery ticket.

26 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Why isnt anyone asking since you coached all these badass QBs why couldn't you manage a winning record with them?  It's really fucking weird. 

Probably because no one care about Tech or Lubbock.

Hiring the Offensive Whiz Kid as a head coach keeps him from moving on if there's success. No other position does.

#notthatweird

27 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Why isnt anyone asking since you coached all these badass QBs why couldn't you manage a winning record with them?  It's really fucking weird. 

You run a 4.2 forty yard dash.  Why can't you throw the discus?  Why can't you swim fast? Why can't you pole vault?

Most, including Acho, are looking at racial bias in the NFL incorrectly.

This is a true statement: KK did not get the Cardinals coaching gig because he is white, but because the owner feels he is the best choice for the team to succeed.

This is also a true statement:  Many black coaches at least as qualified for a HC opportunity were never considered for the Cardinals coaching gig.

This is how bias works to create an uneven playing field.  Focusing on Kliffy is stupid.  The second statement is where the problem lies and at least what the Rooney rule attempts to address.

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Most, including Acho, are looking at racial bias in the NFL incorrectly.

This is a true statement: KK did not get the Cardinals coaching gig because he is white, but because the owner feels he is the best choice for the team to succeed.

This is also a true statement:  Many black coaches at least as qualified for a HC opportunity were never considered for the Cardinals coaching gig.

This is how bias works to create an uneven playing field.  Focusing on Kliffy is stupid.  The second statement is where the problem lies and at least what the Rooney rule attempts to address.

How do you judge qualified though?   

• 4 weeks later...