Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

It doesn't matter if Putin dies.  Someone will follow him.  It is a broken country housing a sick society.

Russia delenda est.

The Oligarchs want to make money (or steal money...220/221).  While I agree the next guy will be a shithead as well, he will have the option of blaming this on the last guy (Putin), and walking back the war and their territory claims in order to get the Russian economy back into the global markets and make money.   

I still think he or the someones after him will harbor delusions of Russian grandeur and likely still cause future problems as you are saying, but I do think Putin going allows for them to walk it back and blame Putin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

@Keef

reread that tweet again, and again, and again.

They just fucking said they arent stopping at the 4 Oblasts that they DONT EVEN FULLY CONTROL, they are going after every large city not named Kyiv to annex them... and then of course once they "have" those,  they will say they need Kyiv, and then they will say parts of Poland, and then, and then, and then, and then.

THEY ARENT GOING TO FUCKING STOP CLAIMING LAND THAT ISN'T THEIRS.

The only way this ends is Putin dying. and frankly at this point I dont give a fuck how he dies, a coup, an individual Oligarch, his entire motorcade blown to pieces, or his Sochi palace with him in it hit by every fucking Block II Tomahawk we have in the Air Force out of Aviano, ITA

There are a lot of very legitimate reasons in this thread to take a hardline stance against Russia in this thread, but the Russian Scrubs guy said something crazy at a nationalist rally is not one of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

The Ukraine NATO application? Great idea. Not for immediate admission that would throw us into a war, but to create a bargaining chip that we can give up, in pursuit of a truce. 

“OK, Vlad, you withdraw all of your troops to Russia and give up your claim to any Ukrainian territory. In return, we won’t let Ukraine join NATO”. 

And there is nothing there that says NATO can’t join Ukraine. 

Think Tap Tap GIF by DraftKings

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's time to declare Russia a terrorist state and start holding the rest of the world accountable for interactions with them.

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I'd be more worried if anyone was falling for it.

They aren't. Everyone from the UN Secretary General on down is basically saying, "No, you're not allowed to just annex stuff."

I gotta give Russia and Putin credit.  He started out claiming this is a war against the world, even though plenty in the world supported him, but now he’s unifying the world against Russia and his allies are quietly pretending like they don’t know him.  

And the US and others starting to sanction more Chinese companies is getting lost in the shuffle today, but it’ll be a game changer.  China is not going to let Putin and his tiny GDP take down Chinese companies.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, ABSR said:

The Oligarchs want to make money (or steal money...220/221).  While I agree the next guy will be a shithead as well, he will have the option of blaming this on the last guy (Putin), and walking back the war and their territory claims in order to get the Russian economy back into the global markets and make money.   

I still think he or the someones after him will harbor delusions of Russian grandeur and likely still cause future problems as you are saying, but I do think Putin going allows for them to walk it back and blame Putin.

If it’s somebody a generation younger than Putin, I doubt they’ll be as obsessed with recreating the Soviet Union as Putin and his generation is.  I feel like Putin’s obsession is a uniquely Russian boomer thing - even his  mouthpieces on state TV have reached their limit and clearly don’t buy the bullshit.  And remember, the younger generations, say 40 and under, their memories are going to be of Afghanistan and Gorbachev and the Warsaw Pact falling apart and the Soviet a Union collapsing.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If it’s somebody a generation younger than Putin, I doubt they’ll be as obsessed with recreating the Soviet Union as Putin and his generation is.  I feel like Putin’s obsession is a uniquely Russian boomer thing - even his  mouthpieces on state TV have reached their limit and clearly don’t buy the bullshit.  And remember, the younger generations, say 40 and under, their memories are going to be of Afghanistan and Gorbachev and the Warsaw Pact falling apart and the Soviet a Union collapsing.  

Good point. They will also be thinking about their kids, McDonalds, Starbucks and trips to the EU for vacations. 

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Good point. They will also be thinking about their kids, McDonalds, Starbucks and trips to the EU for vacations. 

We forget, but early on, those people were pissed at losing access to that stuff, and not being able to travel everywhere.

Man, he’s killing it today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

My suggestion to avert nuclear war is to covertly let every military commander, high ranking government official, and other important Kremlin figures know that if a nuclear warhead is used on a NATO nation, everyone they know and hold dear to them will be targeted for assassination. Their brother living in Vienna? Gone. Their 22 year old socialite daughter living in Paris? Bullet to the head. Their 5 year old grandson playing with toy Z tanks in preschool? Accidentally falls off a balcony. We will kill everyone they hold even a passing affection towards. After that is all done, we'll come for you. 

Of course, this is probably why I'm not in charge.

And the mistresses.

Just now, Gengs1 said:

This will buy Russia time to get new guys to the front line and divert the advances from Ukraine. Sucks to be Belarus soldier but FAFO.

If it happens it will help Russia a lot by buying time 

What new guys?  The guys with a few days training consisting of “try not to point your rifles at each other, and when you get shot, stuff a tampon in the wound”???

And with what trucks?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

What new guys?  The guys with a few days training consisting of “try not to point your rifles at each other, and when you get shot, stuff a tampon in the wound”???

And with what trucks?

The cannon fodder india cars GIF

they will be pulling up like this to the front line 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

I hear people concerned that Putin's replacement could be much worse. A more competent hardliner. I don't see it though. Whomever steps in is going to be dealing with the exact same problems: crumbling military, cratering economy, an ugly war that hard liners may want to continue but that no one wants to fight. Whatever happens they will have to take an operational pause to reform the military, realign their production before they can even commit to another war. During that time is when the economic free fall takes place. Actually I'd rather have a hardliner follow up Putin than someone pro-west since whomever follows up is going to get blamed for a lot of the results of Putin's actions.

• Like 1