Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Over 500 days of war, Russia has conducted thousands of missile strikes across Ukraine. A June attack on a pizzeria in Kramatorsk stood out for the diversity of its victims.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-victims-of-a-russian-strike-on-a-pizzeria-ukrainian-author-teenage-twins-ex-u-s-marine-94334447?st=wahp9g0a81qiu8d&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

• Rage+1 1

Some important points by Kofman here. I believe Jake Sullivan also pointed this out in defending the US's decision: this opens up a large stockpile of artillery ammunition that would otherwise be unavailable and goes a long way in helping bridge the gap between now and when Ukrainian allies are able to fully ramp up production as the year progresses. This is all in addition to the unique benefits cluster munitions provide.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

After heavy losses at Klishchiivka, south of Bakhmut, a Russian elite airborne brigade notorious for atrocities at Bucha was forced to make a chaotic retreat under fire, suffering more casualties, and some survivors were detained for refusing orders to immediately return to combat, Russian open-source site CIT says citing Russian reports

A powerful Ukrainian assault forced Russia's 83rd Airborne Assault Brigade to retreat on foot without an evacuation plan, only to be given "illegally issued orders" to go right back to the front, the Russian troops complained in a video appeal

Russian draftees in another unit at Klishchiivka - the 1442nd Regiment - also refused to fight after suffering heavy losses under Ukrainian fire while being sent into combat without ammunition, their relatives said in an appeal. Some of the refuseniks were reportedly being held in a pit

The Russian airborne troops said they were "fraudulently" sent to Klishchiivka, where they spent 15 days under mortar fire without Russian artillery or air support or communications (which had been shut down by Ukrainian electronic warfare)

Meanwhile, Ukrainian drones reportedly zipped around freely overhead underhindered by Russian electronic warfare

After refusing to fight, they said they were threatened with being forced to join a "Storm-Z" unit of ex-convicts, notorious for being deployed in Russia's virtually suicidal so-called "meat assaults"

CIT report
notes.citeam.org/ru-dispatch-ju…

My post on recent Ukrainian advances south of Bakhmut
twitter.com/ArmedMaidan/st…

Russian airborne troops' appeal
t.me/astrapress/319…

Appeal by Russian draftees' relatives
archive.is/wJzF9

Map source: deepstatemap.live/en#13/48.5258/…

After heavy losses at Klishchiivka, south of Bakhmut, a Russian elite airborne brigade notorious for atrocities at Bucha was forced to make a chaotic retreat under fire, suffering more casualties, and some survivors were detained for refusing orders to immediately return to combat, Russian open-source site CIT says citing Russian reports

A powerful Ukrainian assault forced Russia's 83rd Airborne Assault Brigade to retreat on foot without an evacuation plan, only to be given "illegally issued orders" to go right back to the front, the Russian troops complained in a video appeal

Russian draftees in another unit at Klishchiivka - the 1442nd Regiment - also refused to fight after suffering heavy losses under Ukrainian fire while being sent into combat without ammunition, their relatives said in an appeal. Some of the refuseniks were reportedly being held in a pit

The Russian airborne troops said they were "fraudulently" sent to Klishchiivka, where they spent 15 days under mortar fire without Russian artillery or air support or communications (which had been shut down by Ukrainian electronic warfare)

Meanwhile, Ukrainian drones reportedly zipped around freely overhead underhindered by Russian electronic warfare

After refusing to fight, they said they were threatened with being forced to join a "Storm-Z" unit of ex-convicts, notorious for being deployed in Russia's virtually suicidal so-called "meat assaults"

CIT report
notes.citeam.org/ru-dispatch-ju…

My post on recent Ukrainian advances south of Bakhmut
twitter.com/ArmedMaidan/st…

Russian airborne troops' appeal
t.me/astrapress/319…

Appeal by Russian draftees' relatives
archive.is/wJzF9

Map source: deepstatemap.live/en#13/48.5258/…

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That conclusion doesn't seem to follow. It could also be to replace destroyed systems. I don't think we can no one way or another. 

Unfortunately true.  We can hope it is needed, but there will be both destroyed prior systems and additionally earlier systems that have used up their barrel life based on heavy use.   If they are sending these and sending replacement barrels for the ones sent prior then it would be a good sign.  Not sure that is the case.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

following my Axis and Allies strategy.  Spend everything you’ve got on tanks  

This is a sound strategy for Poland. They smartly understand that as a front line state, if they don’t want their land to be part of the “in depth” part of a defense in depth strategy, then they are going to have to hold up the Russians themselves on the ground. The Allies can respond quickly and get into the fight in the air and on the sea but there are serious logistical challenges to moving heavy equipment and infantry to where it’s needed in the east.

NATO planners have been prodding the eastern flank members to invest in mechanized infantry and tank units and now it’s slowly happening. Czech Republic recently invested in a large Swedish CV-90 purchase. 

One of the “benefits” we are seeing is not just NATO states rearming— but NATO states rearming in a way that makes sense for an Alliance that may need to fight a real war. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

One of the “benefits” we are seeing is not just NATO states rearming— but NATO states rearming in a way that makes sense for an Alliance that may need to fight a real war. 

It's been a long time in the making, but between all of the news about NATO states boosting production to help Ukraine, as well as remaking their militaries to counter Russia (whether it be Poland and tanks or the Nordic countries merging their air forces), and then we are seeing some really strong stuff out of Ukraine in the past 24-48 hours.

Day 500 is going much better for Ukraine and NATO than I would have ever anticipated.

I guess Russia better hope Iran can keep making artillery shells for them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Russia is all butthurt about it.

Erdogan was a massive dick to Putin about this and with his statement on Ukraine in NATO. There’s something going on there, but I  not enough of an Ankara hand to speculate. Just hoping he’s not trying to throw some small bones to Ukraine to deflect from further can-kicking on Sweden. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And we still see reports of Russian forces with little or no Ammo. Logistics or shitty leadership? Why not both?

If the Uke could get ahold of some of those Thompson's and Maxims we saw, I'd pay top dollar to get a couple for blasting beer cans at the farm.  PPSh too.  You know, doing my part to support the cause and all.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Another side “benefit” is the world learning how fucking funny and cool the Balts and Central/Eastern Europeans are. 

The Balts are such a great example of how people and nations written off as hopelessly backward grabbed hold of the NATO/EU lifeline, reinvented themselves as tech geniuses and entrepreneurs, and became in so many ways the beating heart of European innovation and coolness. 

And their leaders have brass balls. Oh, and their chicks are hot! 

Fuck with Patron and I am heading over. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

If the Uke could get ahold of some of those Thompson's and Maxims we saw, I'd pay top dollar to get a couple for blasting beer cans at the farm.  PPSh too.  You know, doing my part to support the cause and all.  

And an SKS rifle with a couple full cases of that steel core ammo with the Berdan primers, from some East Bloc nation that no longer needs ‘em (oops)

James McMurtry was too optimistic. Guess he was mainlining Fukuyama. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

And an SKS rifle with a couple full cases of that steel core ammo with the Berdan primers, from some East Bloc nation that no longer needs ‘em (oops)

James McMurtry was too optimistic. Guess he was mainlining Fukuyama. 

I had a friend with a Chinese SKS.  It was fun for about three shots before it jammed and we spent the next fifteen minutes trying to unfuck it.  Rinse, repeat.   

Perhaps the Russian ones are better.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

I had a friend with a Chinese SKS.  It was fun for about three shots before it jammed and we spent the next fifteen minutes trying to unfuck it.  Rinse, repeat.   

The Russian one I shot was fine and the Yugoslav one I used to own was really good. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They are.  

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Russian one I shot was fine and the Yugoslav one I used to own was really good. 

Also true.  Mine was a NIB with an unfinished stock.  It has a NATO grenade-launching flash hider for some reason.  IIRC, I paid $185 for it back in '01.  And ammo was like 13 cents.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 3

^^^And I have a theory that China poured cheap, garbage assault ri...semi-auto rifles into the US because they thought if they flooded the streets with them, we'd tear ourselves apart.  Kinda like we did with opium back in the day.  Joke's on them; we have our own cheap semi-auto rifles.

Another side “benefit” is the world learning how fucking funny and cool the Balts and Central/Eastern Europeans are. 

The Balts are such a great example of how people and nations written off as hopelessly backward grabbed hold of the NATO/EU lifeline, reinvented themselves as tech geniuses and entrepreneurs, and became in so many ways the beating heart of European innovation and coolness. 

The boy is finding his degree tracking him into CEES (central and Eastern European studies). I keep telling him that there’s a really good chance of the region being the new fulcrum in Europe. He’s not thrilled about having to learn another language like polish or Ukrainian to go with his German. We’ll see, but dead-on agree with this post. They are showing their salt.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Those could be re-imported to the US and sold through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) since they were obviously manufactured prior to the 1986 Gun Control Act. 
Of course they would be subject to the NFA registration rules (as they now stand).

But I’m not holding my breath with the current political climate in Washington. /cr

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

And we still see reports of Russian forces with little or no Ammo. Logistics or shitty leadership? Why not both?

Given the current state of the economy and the probable missed paycheck (or three), these dudes could be skimming and selling stuff somewhere.

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The noise on Capitol Hill about the transfer of DPICM is frustrating. I get the hesitancy but if you want to be against them while saying you want to help Ukraine win— then you need to come with alternate plans to make up for the 155 shortfall and not just “be better.”

If they want to oppose them, then they should publicly and loudly push for fighters.

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

And they are reinvigorating NATO like nobody's business.  I wonder if that's partly why Germany has been ramping up everything - either their arms industry lit a match under the politicians, or they were afraid of being left behind/being seen as second-tier (with Poland taking their spot).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I've seen some speculation elsewhere that we aren't seeing as many fully wrecked/turret-tossed vehicles/tanks/etc., and are instead seeing stuff that hit mines or just didn't cook off like we used to, because they are running low on ammo and are rationing fuel.  People saying that admitted that could be anecdotal and they could have been damaged vehicles that were stripped of a lot of stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2