Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Bunch of that gear that was dragged out of vehicles in that convoy was Russian OMON riot gear - basically civilian police/SWAT.

So either Russia is running low on manpower, or these were guys meant to pacify the civilians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMON

Special Purpose Mobile Unit',  It previously operated within the structures of the Soviet and Russian Ministries of Internal Affairs (MVD). Originating as the special forces unit of the Soviet Militsiya in 1988, it has played major roles in several armed conflicts during and following the 1991 dissolution of the Soviet Union.

OMON is much larger and better known than SOBR, another special-police branch of the National Guard of Russia. In modern contexts, OMON serves as a riot police group, or as a gendarmerie-like paramilitary force. OMON units also exist in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, and other post-Soviet states. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Don’t know about the training part. A plane is a plane though right? I’ve flown a Baron so I could probably fly a f-16 /sarcasm

Looks like Mig to f16 is several intense weeks of training at the very least.  I don’t think all this is over in several weeks - get to it!

Also the Polish have f16’s?

8 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The Ukranians fly MIGs.  The Polish fly MIGS and F16s.  The Polish cannot legally give away F16s.  So it would be a swap the Polish gives the MIGs to the Ukrainians.  And we give them F16s.

The problem is we can't just let 70 Ukrainians jump next door to Poland and pick up fighter planes and go bomb a Russian convoy.  That is a fight with the Russians.  Hell even picking up 70 empty planes where do the Ukrainians park it.  

No one is going to let the Ukrainians fly combat missions out of their air space.  Or even fly planes there.   

Do I ship 70 MIGS by ground and let the Russians capture or destroy it?  

You can't get fighter planes over there unless you seriously want to cross a line with Russia.  A no fly zone would piss Russia off less in my opinion than giving the Ukranians a few fighter squadrons.  And it's not like the Ukrainians can't fly an F16.but it's probably not the best time to see if they know how to.

the Russians also ‘can’t’ bomb and missle civilians …

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think we end up giving jets, specifically Migs.  Not sure how but it will get done and I agree, no combat missions taking off from anywhere but Ukraine.  

Everyone wants to give them jets but no one knows how to. We can wish and hope all we want but if you don't have a solution to the problem it makes it tough.  

And even the airspace thing.  I think Ukraine is learning how shitty it is being a nuetral country being surrounded by NATO and Russia.  Even if Israel has any desire to help Ukraine.  Who is going to let them fly through their airspace.  

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep.  But was told that type of plan - exactly what I said was possible...was not only a pipe dream, but if the Russians saw any US bird in the war, it would mean WW3.  Actually my old ass Dad said it was plausible.  

Anyways, not about being right.  Let’s just get them some F16’s w mercenary pilots.  

Agree, and some vacationing drone pilots as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Jeopardy! isn't broadcast live... 

lol that I know.  They usually don’t put the recorded date on there - but that’s from me watching jeopardy years ago.  Just being a smart ass.  
Building a good buzz all day and heading back out now - 70 degrees was a nice surprise was March 5 Chi…

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

How long until the Russians start fielding these?

FNIWM_GXEAAzJ89?format=jpg&name=large

I imagine you pop a bitchin wheelie every time you fire that thing.  

Seriously, this might be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.  Who designed this, the ACME rocket company?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

How long until the Russians start fielding these?

FNIWM_GXEAAzJ89?format=jpg&name=large

My motorbike.  And I had a sidecar on it.  And I skidded off into a curb and into some people. 

Just now, Mother mopar said:
11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Looks like Mig to f16 is several intense weeks of training at the very least.  I don’t think all this is over in several weeks - get to it!

Yes, Poland has F-16s, block 52s. They have roughly 2 units worth or 48 aircraft.

So, like a 'Polish Dozen'?  

17 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The Ukranians fly MIGs.  The Polish fly MIGS and F16s.  The Polish cannot legally give away F16s.  So it would be a swap the Polish gives the MIGs to the Ukrainians.  And we give them F16s.

The problem is we can't just let 70 Ukrainians jump next door to Poland and pick up fighter planes and go bomb a Russian convoy.  That is a fight with the Russians.  Hell even picking up 70 empty planes where do the Ukrainians park it.  

No one is going to let the Ukrainians fly combat missions out of their air space.  Or even fly planes there.   

Do I ship 70 MIGS by ground and let the Russians capture or destroy it?  

You can't get fighter planes over there unless you seriously want to cross a line with Russia.  A no fly zone would piss Russia off less in my opinion than giving the Ukranians a few fighter squadrons.  And it's not like the Ukrainians can't fly an F16.but it's probably not the best time to see if they know how to.

I would think they’d need a mix of MiG-29’s, SU fighters and the the Sukhoi-25. 

Having said that… everyone practices flight operations from highways with improvised reventments for fueling and arming. 

That is to say, push the damn things across the border if you have to and have the Ukrainians figure out how to get them airborne. I bet they have some ideas and the balls to try it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I imagine you pop a bitchin wheelie every time you fire that thing.  

Seriously, this might be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.  Who designed this, the ACME rocket company?

War allows imagination.  One of my favorite things to do when I'm bored is go back to weapons development.  Pre civil war until now.  We have some zany ass ideas but the Russians and the Chinese are out of this world stupid when it comes to it.  

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I would think they’d need a mix of MiG-29’s, SU fighters and the the Sukhoi-25. 

Having said that… everyone practices flight operations from highways with improvised reventments for fueling and arming. 

That is to say, push the damn things across the border if you have to and have the Ukrainians figure out how to get them airborne. I bet they have some ideas and the balls to try it. 

Man.  I don't care how brave you are it's suicidal taking off and landing on a Eastern European road.  I don't even feel safe in a car there.  With the conditions there right now.  Yikes.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I remember our troops welding whatever metal they could find to their Humvees before the up-armored versions were produced and delivered to Iraq. I wonder if this is the Russian attempt at the same with the materials on hand with wood being more durable and as plentiful as vodka bottles. 

On the one hand, would seem like it, but on the other, the truck in the front has the wood right over the engine area, and not in front of the driver.  Why would the driver give a shit if the engine got hit?

Which makes me think they believe they can hide the heat signature from a Javelin or whatever, because I imagine that at this point, while the Javelin and NLAW are near-mythical creatures to us, they are at "HOLY FUCKING SHIT DID YOU SEE WHAT HIT THAT FUCKING TANK A KILOMETER BACK?" status with Russian truck drivers.

Or I could be wrong and it could simply be that they know the engine will be hit because it's the hottest thing that will show up on the IR, and are hoping to minimize the explosion/shrapnel/etc. coming into the cab area.

That destroyed convoy was from earlier in the war, and people pointed out that the front and rear vehicles had been hit by heavy weapons while most of the rest appear to have been hit by small arms fire.

Also lots of discussion of the Ukrainians having hunter/killer teams roaming around looking for convoys without protection, similar to the Finns.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That destroyed convoy was from earlier in the war, and people pointed out that the front and rear vehicles had been hit by heavy weapons while most of the rest appear to have been hit by small arms fire.

Also lots of discussion of the Ukrainians having hunter/killer teams roaming around looking for convoys without protection, similar to the Finns.

drones with night vision ‘showed up’ 

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

drones with night vision ‘showed up’ 

There is some evidence out there that they've figured out how to use larger commercial drones as a munition delivery system in a local battlefield. Which makes me think 'advisors' testing new tech.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

On the one hand, would seem like it, but on the other, the truck in the front has the wood right over the engine area, and not in front of the driver.  Why would the driver give a shit if the engine got hit?

Which makes me think they believe they can hide the heat signature from a Javelin or whatever, because I imagine that at this point, while the Javelin and NLAW are near-mythical creatures to us, they are at "HOLY FUCKING SHIT DID YOU SEE WHAT HIT THAT FUCKING TANK A KILOMETER BACK?" status with Russian truck drivers.

Or I could be wrong and it could simply be that they know the engine will be hit because it's the hottest thing that will show up on the IR, and are hoping to minimize the explosion/shrapnel/etc. coming into the cab area.

I think those are mainly just for the older weapons. And lots of hope the Javelins don't target you and are saved for tanks.

8 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

would be justified by russians as appropriate retaliatory response, correct?  

I don't ever feel like a nuke is a justified response.  But if they did it I could see why they did it.  You can't say you're not choosing a side but you give something to.fogjt you with.  I'd be pretty pissed.

6 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I think those are mainly just for the older weapons. And lots of hope the Javelins don't target you and are saved for tanks.

I don't ever feel like a nuke is a justified response.  But if they did it I could see why they did it.  You can't say you're not choosing a side but you give something to.fogjt you with.  I'd be pretty pissed.

Oh I agree as well, just thinking they won't and could use it as an excuse to do it is very real.  With that in mind, I think the only way this could work is if you have an airfield so close to either Hungary, Poland, or Romania that they won't do it because fallout into any of those countries could trigger an article 5.  A tactical likely wouldn't do that if for no other reason than the wind being against it.

37 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Man.  I don't care how brave you are it's suicidal taking off and landing on a Eastern European road.  I don't even feel safe in a car there.  With the conditions there right now.  Yikes.

Those planes were built with exactly that in mind. Most pilots would be unhappy using a standard Russian airbase. They built those planes like tanks to rough it. 

I know what I’d do if the choice is no Air Force or clearing some trees, signs and power lines to get 6000 feet of unobstructed pavement. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The one truck is protecting the engine only, and the other has a solid attempt at protecting the cab. 

Regardless, the javelin is a top attack missile designed to hit armored vehicles where their protection is thinnest. It may be the engines are being protected because the Uks are just trying to stall convoys and cause traffic jams that they can clean up at their leisure. In which case I’d try to keep the motor running too. 

21 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

There is some evidence out there that they've figured out how to use larger commercial drones as a munition delivery system in a local battlefield. Which makes me think 'advisors' testing new tech.

Apparently, it is Ukraine tech. It is a local battlefield drone that is dropping a RPG type munition from above. 

https://en.topwar.ru/178854-ukraina-osvoila-vypusk-boepripasov-dlja-bpla.html

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

17 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Those planes were built with exactly that in mind. Most pilots would be unhappy using a standard Russian airbase. They built those planes like tanks to rough it. 

I know what I’d do if the choice is no Air Force or clearing some trees, signs and power lines to get 6000 feet of unobstructed pavement. 

It's snowing and most of those roads right now are mud.  We build our highways to be able to accommodate fighters.  A lot of.those roads are hardened dirt especially when you get out towards the country.  You'll blow a tire before you can take off or slide off the the snow.  I'm not saying.its impossible and I'm not a pilot. But I have a hard time believing anyone looking at the roads in Ukraine says yeah.  Mud and.snow I'll fly.my.jet.off.of.tjat.

5 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

It's snowing and most of those roads right now are mud.  We build our highways to be able to accommodate fighters.  A lot of.those roads are hardened dirt especially when you get out towards the country.  You'll blow a tire before you can take off or slide off the the snow.  I'm not saying.its impossible and I'm not a pilot. But I have a hard time believing anyone looking at the roads in Ukraine says yeah.  Mud and.snow I'll fly.my.jet.off.of.tjat.

One of the true beauties of the Eisenhower Interstate System.  I can't recall how far, but I do know a certain percentage has to be flat by law to service as emergency run ways specifically due to cold war tensions.  Very forward thinking honestly.  

10 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I wasn’t suggesting using mud. And I’m sure the Soviets had the prescience to build long straightaways in their highway systems too. I’ve never been feet in the ground in Ukraine, but surely they have a rudimentary paved highway system  in places. 

20 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Perhaps you are not familiar with the F34 Shitbird?

maxresdefault.jpg

17 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

One of the true beauties of the Eisenhower Interstate System.  I can't recall how far, but I do know a certain percentage has to be flat by law to service as emergency run ways specifically due to cold war tensions.  Very forward thinking honestly.  

Not trying to be an ass, but that’s actually a myth.

10 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Not trying to be an ass, but that’s actually a myth.

DOT says myth. Army says fact. 

Ofcourse, the myth busted is that 1 in every 5 miles has to be a suitable runway. That seems like a bit much. I doubt that such a system was built and no one thought to put in a few strategic places for that very purpose.