Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Long game. We start listing all the people we want dead as ‘people who seem to be poised to overthrow Putin’

Yep, hopefully, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. We start listing names, Putin gets knee jerk reactions, and alienates himself and his staff more and more until somebody really does it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Man a good ole fashioned coup…when’s the last time we had a good one? We know Putin is paranoid and for good reason but it’s time to to ratchet up the PSYOPS on his ass. We need a miracle! Ukraine needs one! Their spirit and resolve has captivated pretty much the world. Anything to get Putin out I am for at this point. Dead or alive. Doesn’t matter to me.

Probably Malaysia last year

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/06/brazilian-politician-arthur-do-val-sexist-remarks-ukraine-refugees-outrage

Brazilian politician visits the Ukrainian/Slovakian border. Audio leaks of him talking about how hot the Ukrainian refugees are and that "you know they're easy because they're poor." Oops.

What’s his Surly handle?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/06/brazilian-politician-arthur-do-val-sexist-remarks-ukraine-refugees-outrage

Brazilian politician visits the Ukrainian/Slovakian border. Audio leaks of him talking about how hot the Ukrainian refugees are and that "you know they're easy because they're poor." Oops.

A2542A7F-263A-4F80-A0A3-B34BBFBAEE61.gif

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Himage.png.892982fcf42a14b0e6468671e229d78c.png
(translation:  I HATE LUTEFISK!!!)

He was all in until Putin started serving shitty lunches and bad vodka at the meetings.

In hate lutefisk? I'm not familiar with this usage, but that doesn't mean much I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Shady Ray said:

IMO, the minimum requirement for putting stock in a particular outlet should be whether they post/print stories that would constitute good and bad news for each respective side...particularly in situations like this one, where there is plenty of good/bad news for each side to go around. But there are certain outlets that are regularly posted and quoted as reliable by blue checks on social media that literally post nothing but good news for the Ukrainian side. Which to some degree, I understand is important to keep up spirits for an underdog like Ukraine, but it shouldn't be treated as reliable news and it does a disservice to those who rely on media coverage for their understanding of the events on the ground.

And for a bunch of jerk-offs on a college football board I guess it isn't a big deal, but the degree that those blue check mark journos that amplify some of these clearly biased outlets as fact gets annoying, as it requires a ton of sifting through to get an accurate picture. I have essentially just switched over to German language media since the desire for Twitter peer-group-acceptance by German reporters is essentially zero. Twitter-impact just isn't something that is that big of a deal here...probably because half the individual words in the fucking language encroach on the 280 character limit in the first place. 

Both professionally and personally, I trust: Govt Twitter Accts/Websites to hear what a government wants to say openly, access-based "senior govt sources say" legacy media to find out what a particular Govt wants to leak anonymously, proven and reliable "direct" Twitter sources to get real-time facts on the ground. And even Surly to learn shit about shit that I don't know. I mean hell, this thread alone you can see military dudes explaining military shit, humanitarian aid professionals explaining humanitarian missions, country experts, and the muthafuckin' Notorious NERC Mafia talk about SCADA systems. And then do my best to figure out what is going on myself. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am wrong, but I trust that way more than I do most of the shit I see on Twitter. 

This was what I hoped it would be but the mods vaporized it with no explanation. I probably was not the first to start an alternative news thread on the subject but I am just so tired of all the information coming from sights with Ukrainian flags as their profile pic, others I'd never heard of until two weeks ago or even a few days ago, and obviously biased blue-checks and memes of Ukrainian hotties with AKs, farmers pulling busted up tanks around, or grannies chunkin' pickle jars repeated every page.

I love the way the war is going but I hate propaganda. In a much milder form, I've learned how insidious it can be....I was staying in a youth hostel in Budapest in '92 and from their coverage it really seemed like fucking Hungary was winning the Olympics. I've seen similar in other athletic competitions in England when I was living there, so it's not just an East Bloc thing. 

Like I said, it does seem like Putin fucked up royally here but I'd like to see more facts and fewer anecdotes and absolutely zero myths and legends.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This was what I hoped it would be but the mods vaporized it with no explanation. I probably was not the first to start an alternative news thread on the subject but I am just so tired of all the information coming from sights with Ukrainian flags as their profile pic, others I'd never heard of until two weeks ago or even a few days ago, and obviously biased blue-checks and memes of Ukrainian hotties with AKs, farmers pulling busted up tanks around, or grannies chunkin' pickle jars repeated every page.

I love the way the war is going but I hate propaganda. In a much milder form, I've learned how insidious it can be....I was staying in a youth hostel in Budapest in '92 and from their coverage it really seemed like fucking Hungary was winning the Olympics. I've seen similar in other athletic competitions in England when I was living there, so it's not just an East Bloc thing. 

Like I said, it does seem like Putin fucked up royally here but I'd like to see more facts and fewer anecdotes and absolutely zero myths and legends.

the CR thread is what you are looking for. It's much shorter as the bulk of the discussion is happening here with only links there. There is no need for a "news" and a "discussion" thread on the same topic in this case. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

I would bet US officials think it’s someone else but are leaking this to direct Putins focus elsewhere.

Subterfuge!

Or, put Putin in an even more paranoid state and the Generals think “l better do something or my family and I will be killed”. 

Lotsa in’s, lotsa out’s.  

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

From the looks of things right now, you just stick a half dozen guys in Eastern Europe, and never think about Russia again. Spend all your time attacking Great Britain in the US.

I’ve been lerking for the past few pages but I have to interject here at this post and ask we all take pause and think about what is actually being said here. As an American, i have to beg you in the name all that is good and holy… let me in on this.

Edited by Doc Reeves

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

the CR thread is what you are looking for. It's much shorter as the bulk of the discussion is happening here with only links there. There is no need for a "news" and a "discussion" thread on the same topic in this case. 

Can't stand the CR thread....I do think there's room for a happy medium but it ain't my message board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Man a good ole fashioned coup…when’s the last time we had a good one? We know Putin is paranoid and for good reason but it’s time to to ratchet up the PSYOPS on his ass. We need a miracle! Ukraine needs one! Their spirit and resolve has captivated pretty much the world. Anything to get Putin out I am for at this point. Dead or alive. Doesn’t matter to me.

Ummm…about 14 months?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Putin has to see the last 11 days or so as a massive sunk cost. He can’t lose now; win at all costs is the only acceptable outcome for him now.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The only path forward for Ukraine is to relentlessly continue to destroy Russian materiel and soldiers. Even once their cities fall (which they most likely will, eventually….it may take months instead of days, but still).

He can't control his logistics.  Russia can't replace their trucks. He doesn't have enough ground troops to actually take the largest cities.

And I'm not so sure all of the cities will fall.  I'm not even sure Kyiv will fall at this point, because every single day that the Russians are not reaching Kyiv with a massive assault formation is a day that the Ukrainians are chipping away at their supply convoys, and is a day that Ukrainians are getting more and more Stingers, Javelins, NLAWs, AT-4s, etc. You simply can't move stuff around and keep tanks and APCs going without trucks, and you can't take cities without actual boots on the ground. And if they are only able to drop dumb bombs, that means Stinger range.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, ABSR said:

I think part of this issue they are trying to manage is deniability of giving “Polish” airplanes that fly from Poland into Ukraine.   It is subtle, but something they want to be able to deny to Russia and the world.

Now maybe they sell MiG-29’s to the US in a good deal  for Poland (more value from F-16’s etc), and then the planes are delivered to a neutral country such as Switzerland where the US “sells” them to Ukraine.   Then the now Ukraine aircraft fly to Ukraine from a neutral location.

So no Polish or NATO country planes fly into Ukraine and no Ukrainian planes are allowed to fly from Polish or NATO air bases into Ukraine.

And what air space do you have to cross to get back into Ukraine to make this work. If Ukraine manifests a bunch of MIGs all of a sudden there is no plausible deniability. We all know who did it.  There is no gotcha.  

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Russia has already committed over 10% of their ground forces to this “special operation”. How much more can they deploy without serious risk to  domestic security?

The vast majority of "ground forces" are not actual combat troops - maybe one actual infantry soldier versus 4 or more soldiers who are driving trucks, mechanics, medical, etc., etc.

The percentages being tossed around of actually "combat ready troops" that Russia has committed is considerably higher than 10%.

And with all of the truck losses, it won't matter how much he has in reserve, if he can't get them to the front, and not only get them to the front, but to do so in something other than fucking Isuzu Troopers.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

I would bet US officials think it’s someone else but are leaking this to direct Putins focus elsewhere.

Subterfuge!

All Putin has to do is move against one of the generals and have him tried and executed/exiled, and the rest of them are going to start wondering who is next, especially if he's looking for people to blame for his fuckups.

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

At some point don't the Russian soldiers realize their govt will not be able to pay them indefinitely and the amount they are paying them has suddenly become worth substantially less?

Conscripts don't have a say, and the soldiers under contract don't either, at least not until their contracts are up, and I'm sure they will be barred from leaving the service.  With that said, it'll be wise of them to surrender and start getting food and shelter.

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Raise your hand if you had “Britney Griner becomes a pawn in this story” on your Geopolitical Bingo card. 

Well we know she's tough.  Living in Phoenix during summer and the edge of Siberia (Yekaterinburg) in winter is doing it the hard way.

Edited by clapclapclap

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Conscripts don't have a say, and the soldiers under contract don't either, at least not until their contracts are up, and I'm sure they will be barred from leaving the service.  With that said, it'll be wise of them to surrender and start getting food and shelter.

Would it be wise for the Ukrainian Army to blast on big speakers or over radio channels the value of Ruble in real time so that the conscripts can do their own calculus? They can also do it laughing and say "that won't even buy a candy bar in Belarus! Ethiopians feel sorry for you! haha

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2022 at 6:43 PM, SL Xpress said:

I’ve seen several evangelists saying this. Pat Robertson specifically, but there are others. It’s like a playbook they’re reading off of. 

It’s used regularly. The history of Christianity is littered with religious leaders making contemporary references to Revelations, starting with the first generation, who thought Jesus was returning in their lifetime. Pat Robertson has personally invoked the coming Judgement Day literally 1000s of times in his lifetime, molding whatever topical event subscribes to his definition of impending signs. 

The inclusion of Putin is interesting. I posted this over a hundred pages back, but there’s a white thing going on here. Disenfranchised white males are using support of Putin as a litmus test for belonging in their tribe. Not that you have to be white, but you better be hitting all the litmus tests with vigor and the correct response to belong. It’s another lurch in the wrong direction as far as I’m concerned. 

I’ve not met a single person like that.  You must be hanging out in some fucking shady spots

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Himage.png.892982fcf42a14b0e6468671e229d78c.png
(translation:  I HATE LUTEFISK!!!)

He was all in until Putin started serving shitty lunches and bad vodka at the meetings.

The coup stuff is like the very angry Putin stuff.  It can't be verified but what else would Putin be.  And if a coup does happen you say.  Wow see I told you.  There has to be that thinking going on if everything on the ground is true.

He can't control his logistics.  Russia can't replace their trucks. He doesn't have enough ground troops to actually take the largest cities.
And I'm not so sure all of the cities will fall.  I'm not even sure Kyiv will fall at this point, because every single day that the Russians are not reaching Kyiv with a massive assault formation is a day that the Ukrainians are chipping away at their supply convoys, and is a day that Ukrainians are getting more and more Stingers, Javelins, NLAWs, AT-4s, etc. You simply can't move stuff around and keep tanks and APCs going without trucks, and you can't take cities without actual boots on the ground. And if they are only able to drop dumb bombs, that means Stinger range.

Fair. They may not occupy the cities. They’ll level them instead.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I get where you're coming from but where do you expect to get such news?   Basically all western media has left Russia. Social media is essentially shut down there. We might be able to get some les biased stuff out of Ukraine (a lot of which is posted here) but we will get nothing from the Russian side that even begins to resemble fact. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Let's go! 

Also, there is a forum with no funny stuff. No political stuff. The occasional cat picture or meme. No curse words AND ONLY posts on topic. No jokes. only verified sites and verified approved twitter feeds. it is called websleuths. All the mods are drunk women. Is that the happy medium you are talking about? People like myself used to post there on the regular until I got sick and tired of not being able to express myself. So the good news...I am not on that site. 

• Haha 1