Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do we think they are hitting over 20 tanks a day?  Actual tanks.

FNJtxNXXwAEc6cR?format=jpg&name=medium

I am thinking of starting a [serious] thread that eliminates all links from obviously biased sources. Reuters, BBC, AP, al-Jazeera, AFP, DW, etc only. The noise-to-signal on this thread is getting unbearable between the blatant Ukrainian propaganda and the shitposting. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

Well... If he has a goal and believes he can win and achieve his goal, why should he just walk away for pennies on the dollar?

What does he gain by stopping short of anything but taking over?

Well “all” Russian demands are Ukraine completely surrenders and ruskies run the country. Not exactly a “negotiation”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am thinking of starting a [serious] thread that eliminates all links from obviously biased sources. Reuters, BBC, AP, al-Jazeera, AFP, DW, etc only. The noise-to-signal on this thread is getting unbearable between the blatant Ukrainian propaganda and the shitposting. 

The counterpoint is that all of those sources are very much limited in when and how much they post. They often post information hours after they’ve occurred. They’ll also include that the sources are not independently verified because how can you check how many are dead or vehicles destroyed when the war is actively going on and neither side has any advantage in posting as accurate of estimates. 

If you really want a thread of just that, you don’t need a Surly thread. Most of those sources have their own live threads that will cover what they’ve seen during the day. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

The counterpoint is that all of those sources are very much limited in when and how much they post. They often post information hours after they’ve occurred. They’ll also include that the sources are not independently verified because how can you check how many are dead or vehicles destroyed when the war is actively going on and neither side has any advantage in posting as accurate of estimates. 

If you really want a thread of just that, you don’t need a Surly thread. Most of those sources have their own live threads that will cover what they’ve seen during the day. 

Oh I know but by the time they do post, it's verified as true.

I went ahead and started it. The current one has me literally dreaming fog of war dreams. 

4 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Well “all” Russian demands are Ukraine completely surrenders and ruskies run the country. Not exactly a “negotiation”. 

Not a tough decision as you can see

I can blow you away or you can ride with me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Here’s a great analysis of the conflict, posted an hour ago, from. a British military expert. I’ve always loved Trevor Philips, so it was nice to see him as the interviewer. It’s only about 9m long, so not too bad. He covers the issues with a no fly zone, as he says from experience in being in charge of one. That it’s not just a matter of shooting down planes, but also attacking anti air assets in Belarus and Russia, and what that means for the conflict. He addresses issues with the Russian military, discusses Putin making it personal, and concludes with his thoughts about why he doesn’t see tactical nukes being employed, although everything short of that will be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Well... If he has a goal and believes he can win and achieve his goal, why should he just walk away for pennies on the dollar?
What does he gain by stopping short of anything but taking over?

Correct.

There’s no ending to this but victory or defeat. Putin is all-in. So is Ukraine (obviously).

The only path forward for Ukraine is to relentlessly continue to destroy Russian materiel and soldiers. Even once their cities fall (which they most likely will, eventually….it may take months instead of days, but still).

The only path forward for Putin is to keep fighting and pouring shit into Ukraine.

There’s no path forward that doesn’t involve mountains of rubble and tens of thousand dead. Total war is that way.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

I suspect part of the issue with the Polish plane swap, beyond how do you pull it off and stay technically clean vis-a-vis triggering a Russian escalation, is the Poles likely want their F-16s now, not later.  They are on the front line of this thing and don’t want to be waiting for some AF reserve units to ferry those fighters across the Atlantic.  
I agree and the question is what do the Polish wants in exchange for their Migs?

Putin has to see the last 11 days or so as a massive sunk cost. He can’t lose now; win at all costs is the only acceptable outcome for him now.

Correct.

When you were younger and dumber, did you ever end up in a fight that you hadn’t really thought through, thought was gonna be easy, and then you ended up in a fucking brawl where shit went down? You couldn’t just say “nevermind” and walk away - you were committed. Yep. That’s what Putin’s in now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Not a tough decision as you can see

I can blow you away or you can ride with me.

Ill ride with you if you can get me to the border

Putins after me for what I did to his daughter

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

There is another option…we “hire” a non-NATO country (mercenary types) to kill Putin (the floor is about to be wiped with his ass and everyone knows it and he deserves it—whether or not he’s facing certain death from an illness aside) and then call up each oligarch and tell them that if Russia doesn’t leave Ukraine by a certain amount of time we will kill said oligarch and the next one and the next one. Pick the slimiest ones (Epstein friends of friends types) to kill off first. And show the next oligarch proof of death. 

it’s not going to happen and I know this but if we want to be ruthless and “save the world” from Putin without triggering WW3 it’s at least got to be an option. And yes, I know it’s like the movie Taken…but the world has a massive problem in an unstable and physically unhealthy asshole that leads a powerful nation and he needs to be eradicated. No one else has gone off the reservation like this and it would be a one-off. I feel like it’s probably already sanctioned at any rate. It’s certainly an “option” on the table.

28 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Putin has to see the last 11 days or so as a massive sunk cost. He can’t lose now; win at all costs is the only acceptable outcome for him now.

He clearly doesn’t know about the sunk cost fallacy in human biased thinking. Because if he did he’d quit now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Here’s a great analysis of the conflict, posted an hour ago, from. a British military expert. I’ve always loved Trevor Philips, so it was nice to see him as the interviewer. It’s only about 9m long, so not too bad. He covers the issues with a no fly zone, as he says from experience in being in charge of one. That it’s not just a matter of shooting down planes, but also attacking anti air assets in Belarus and Russia, and what that means for the conflict. He addresses issues with the Russian military, discusses Putin making it personal, and concludes with his thoughts about why he doesn’t see tactical nukes being employed, although everything short of that will be. 

The title "Field Marshal" has always irked me a little bit, as kind of pompous compared to "commanding General" or some such.  I guess I associate it with Monty and Germans.

"Air Marshal," on the other hand  . . .  is pretty fucking cool.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Why does the Ukrainian president keep asking for NATO to close the skies above Ukraine? Doesn’t he understand that “closing the skies” means NATO shooting down Russian planes, and therefore open war between NATO and Russia and the end of our planet?

Because his country has been invaded and his people are dying. It's in Ukraine's best interest to get NATO and the world to come to his side. Everyone knows that if NATO joined in, Russia is fucked, and it'll probably save his country. Plus he wants to be in NATO, so them coming in helps that goal too. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain by shouting from the rooftops how much help he needs. Most of it is working, so he's doing a great job so far.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I have an 11 year old son, and coincidentally, it became kind of dusty here in my den.  I can't even.

Yeah, that's cool and all, but this isn't likely to make the straight news. Neither is the pickle jar attack. 

Would this?

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-06-22/h_d30ca245d22545f64c723f9eaf5ea3ea

29 min ago
First emergency medical supplies arrive in Kyiv from Médecins Sans Frontières
From CNN's Alex Hardie

The first emergency medical supply shipment from Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders has arrived in Kyiv, the international humanitarian organization said in a statement.

The supplies include surgical kits, trauma kits, medications for chronic diseases and mass casualty supplies. They will be donated to local hospitals in the city and in other towns further east in Ukraine. 

“It was urgent to do this fast,” said Christopher Stokes, MSF Emergency Coordinator in Ukraine, according to the statement. 
“We may be in a race against time here — we have no certainty how long train access to Kyiv will remain possible. We chose to go with the train option for reasons of speed and the high volume capacity,” he added.

• Hook 'Em 2

In a modern era where we have progressed past designated gender roles, do statements from a guy who describes himself "a free spirit" warrant the same amount of skepticism as would a woman with the same self-designation?

489104312_ScreenShot2022-03-06at5_58_01PM.thumb.png.3dfaa6bd254dddf11df4d1366f4bb12d.png

Because I’ve never met a dude that described himself as a “free spirt”, but as an Austinite I have known plenty of women (biblically and platonically) of that sort.

Good weed, commitment-free sex, and top-shelf hummus? Yes.

Inside knowledge of state secrets about Russian coup attempts? Ehhhhhhhhhh, undecided.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Man a good ole fashioned coup…when’s the last time we had a good one? We know Putin is paranoid and for good reason but it’s time to to ratchet up the PSYOPS on his ass. We need a miracle! Ukraine needs one! Their spirit and resolve has captivated pretty much the world. Anything to get Putin out I am for at this point. Dead or alive. Doesn’t matter to me.