Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

32 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

This is pretty much what I was trying to get at earlier when I said I do not think it'll ever come to nuclear war. Historical precedence has shown that somewhere along the line somebody refuses. Cooler heads usually prevail. I posted the whole thing earlier, the FSB guy also says Putin is not suicidal.

Forgot these responses as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I've read several Clancy novels in my youth, I didn't find them interesting, just as I don't find them interesting now.  His prose was dreadful and in no way insightful.  I wish people would stop referencing them in real world situations.  The second Putin either backs down or is deposed our killed, I think the Chinese will act in an opportunistic manner.  

Red Storm Rising is worth a read just for what's currently happening.  Cardinal of the Kremlin as well if you like spy stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would also toss in Third World War: August 1985 by Sir John Hackett - you can find cheap copies on Amazon although my hardcover version appears to be worth hundreds of dollars.  

It was a play-by-play of a war with Russia, and if you read Harold Coyle's Team Yankee, it's a companion of sorts to Third World War, basically Coyle wrote a scenario of a company-sized American unit's actions (armor) that take place within Hackett's Third World War (and Hackett liked it a lot, even if it was unofficial).  Coyle apparently released a 2018 updated version of his book, and now I'm going to have to pick that up.

And you will think both are unrealistic because the Soviet units were competent and understood combined-arms efforts.

And yeah, they are dated (and I haven't read them since the 90s), but I have a feeling that Russian decision-making still matches that of the Soviet era more than we would think.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Everyone wants to give them jets but no one knows how to. We can wish and hope all we want but if you don't have a solution to the problem it makes it tough.  

And even the airspace thing.  I think Ukraine is learning how shitty it is being a nuetral country being surrounded by NATO and Russia.  Even if Israel has any desire to help Ukraine.  Who is going to let them fly through their airspace.  

You clear a road at the border from Poland to Ukraine and turn it into a runway.

Chinese UnionPay and Sberbank and Alfa Bank-issued MIR Cards joining forces. I don't know about the US, but UnionPay is accepted almost everywhere in Germany, but MIR generally isn't. Well, until now, I guess.

From the Russians: Sberbank working to issue MIR, China's UnionPay co-badged payment cards after Visa, MasterCard announce exit from Russia

https://interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/75735/

Russia has been pushing country-by-country to accept MIR, with some success, but this will be a huge step forward, as UnionPay is accepted all over the place. They have been making noise about doing this for years, but as is the case in so many other areas, these sanctions are accelerating what used to be slow, gradual realignments.

Mastercard and Visa bolt so that Chinese/Russian alternatives can link up and expand. No, this is not some massive paradigm change and will take time to implement, but I think this is going to be one of many steps where we see parallel and alternative financial systems emerge. 

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Rage+1 2

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Please don’t let this fall apart/be bullshit:

That’s as we all know game changing. But how long will that take? They need them now.

I think it will happen very quickly. There are not good reasons to prevent it. The only impediment is gearing the planes so that they can easily be flown in combat by Ukranians and actually getting the planes to Ukranian pilots. It will be interesting to me to see how we arm the planes.

It seems like we and NATO nations are on some sort of fine line. If we give Ukranians common munitions then all is fine. But if we start gibing them more lethal munitions, I feel like we think that that will cross some line. To me, it is like fighting with one hand tied behind your back and that we aren't enabling Ukraine to win but to be able to fight the good fight and simply prolong the war.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Please don’t let this fall apart/be bullshit:

That’s as we all know game changing. But how long will that take? They need them now.

I mean, this tweet is six hours old, which is apparently the same as the publication time of the NBC article, but at least as of that time the Polish Government doesn't seem to agree.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

I mean, this tweet is six hours old, which is apparently the same as the publication time of the NBC article, but at least as of that time the Polish Government doesn't seem to agree.

It is all over the news today in the US on both CNN and FOX. After the meeting with Zalinsky, the US is keen on supplying planes to Poland and having Poland supply Ukraine. I am confident that this will happen as it is receiving bipartisan support. The US will make it worthwhile for Poland to go along with the plan.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Red Storm Rising is worth a read just for what's currently happening.  Cardinal of the Kremlin as well if you like spy stuff.

RSR was his opus in my opinion. Some other good reads, but that one kept me glued as soon as the action started. 

The interesting thing to me about the Bear and the Dragon scenario is that is kicks off with a super bug being released in the US by the Chinese. And that hits close to home these days. But agree with the premise. Russia ever caught looking the wrong way with multiple deep invasions by different enemies burned deep into their national conscience is defending against the wrong threat. And their pact with Hitler should be a lifelong lesson about honor among thieves imoho. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Has anyone been tracking Chinese tank movements and deployments?  I'm betting the Chinese are thinking that if this continues they can easily annex Siberia and every thing east of the Urals.  That's another power that gives a damn about losing people, and the mineral wealth in the region might make it worthwhile to them.  

China is smart enough to know that they can receive all of the benefits of controlling Siberia with little effort by throwing the Russian government a lifeline on terms very favorable to China. They don't have to physically occupy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do we think they are hitting over 20 tanks a day?  Actual tanks.

FNJtxNXXwAEc6cR?format=jpg&name=medium

The group that tallies only confirmed tank losses has the number at 221.  I'd imagine at this rate they are running a little behind in their confirmation process.

Basically, they've lost the equivalent of the US losing all of First Armor in 10ish days.

The Ukrainian steel harvest in the winter of '22 will be legendary.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I suspect part of the issue with the Polish plane swap, beyond how do you pull it off and stay technically clean vis-a-vis triggering a Russian escalation, is the Poles likely want their F-16s now, not later.  They are on the front line of this thing and don’t want to be waiting for some AF reserve units to ferry those fighters across the Atlantic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

I suspect part of the issue with the Polish plane swap, beyond how do you pull it off and stay technically clean vis-a-vis triggering a Russian escalation, is the Poles likely want their F-16s now, not later.  They are on the front line of this thing and don’t want to be waiting for some AF reserve units to ferry those fighters across the Atlantic.  

Yup, plus it'll take the Poles a good bit of training to switch over to the F-16's.  I would think in terms of a few weeks or longer to be ready to use them.  Never mind although the Ukrainians are familiar with MIG's, they have to be re-fitted to proper language etc.  I mean, in any event it'll take several weeks to actually use them in combat.

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

RU dropped 8 missiles on the Vinnytsya airfield last night.  

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Red Storm is a humorous reference here in that Putin thought he was going to pull an Iceland attack, where the soviets brilliantly took the airfield under air attack + subterfuge with that ‘civilian’ container ship.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Igor Sushko (@igorsushko) Tweeted:
My translation of the analysis of the current situation in Russia by an active FSB analyst. Buckle up for a long thread and definitely please share far & wide. The full text is over 2000 words. This is a highly insightful look behind the curtain - covers many subjects.

Why does the Ukrainian president keep asking for NATO to close the skies above Ukraine? Doesn’t he understand that “closing the skies” means NATO shooting down Russian planes, and therefore open war between NATO and Russia and the end of our planet?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why does the Ukrainian president keep asking for NATO to close the skies above Ukraine? Doesn’t he understand that “closing the skies” means NATO shooting down Russian planes, and therefore open war between NATO and Russia and the end of our planet?

Don’t be dense.  He knows NATO won’t do it, it’s propaganda 

2 hours ago, Shady Ray said:

I think part of this issue they are trying to manage is deniability of giving “Polish” airplanes that fly from Poland into Ukraine.   It is subtle, but something they want to be able to deny to Russia and the world.

Now maybe they sell MiG-29’s to the US in a good deal  for Poland (more value from F-16’s etc), and then the planes are delivered to a neutral country such as Switzerland where the US “sells” them to Ukraine.   Then the now Ukraine aircraft fly to Ukraine from a neutral location.

So no Polish or NATO country planes fly into Ukraine and no Ukrainian planes are allowed to fly from Polish or NATO air bases into Ukraine.

Igor Sushko (@igorsushko) Tweeted:
My translation of the analysis of the current situation in Russia by an active FSB analyst. Buckle up for a long thread and definitely please share far & wide. The full text is over 2000 words. This is a highly insightful look behind the curtain - covers many subjects.

From details.. putin won’t give a fuck because his days are numbered anyways. Asshole

39 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I kind of miss the 80s when our secret arms deals to help others fight the Russians without being implicated ourselves were actually secret arms deals to help others fight the Russians without being implicated ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Shady Ray said:

Yes. This is a great idea, Anders. Now hear me out, guys: what we do is to funnel in advanced, modern lethal weaponry to the fighters operating in Idlib. Ya' see, since these fine people dislike Russia, they are therefore by definition good, peaceful democratic folks who have peace at the forefront of their minds. Thennnnn...once Russia is defeated, they will lay down their arms and will certainly create a forward-thinking society of tolerance, in which people of all colors and creeds will then come together and contribute to the betterment of global humanity as a whole, with particular attention paid to lifting up their young women in a respectful, progressive manner. But most importantly, war and conflict there will be over and those people will certainly not turn those weapons upon each other and no innocent civilians will be brutalized or subjugated. There is zero chance of that happening whatsoever.

I mean, we have done this this before and I don't think anyone could say that there was any blowback whatsoever from arming those fine fellows, outside of that little hiccup in Afghanistan.

808515487_ScreenShot2022-03-06at7_29_39AM.thumb.png.60b36b2deb042cb81ae46e1900bfe510.png

1036801519_ScreenShot2022-03-06at7_21_28AM.thumb.png.3f04ec13efc87a591a29cc5020093684.png

Jesus, some of these manichean hot takes on Twitter are fucking ridiculous. Can we just stick to supporting Ukraine and let the fucking jihadis and Russians kill each other in Syria and not giving The Artist Formerly Known as Al-Qaeda advanced fucking weaponry. Good God.

RIP PSH.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1