Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Russia has the same triad we do for nukes.  They have thousands.  There is no pre-emptive strike option, that's MAD.  Even one nuke getting through to a US or European city would a disaster without comparison.
I think Biden and the US/NATO have played this right so far.  Fight the proxy war, fuel the defenders with weapons, and cripple the RU economy with sanctions.  Don't engage Putin's sabre rattling on the nuke stuff by escalating our nuke force posture tit for tat.  Maintain our high readiness and if he wants to FAFO we'll be here but stay a step or two from provoking that directly.
Username does not check out...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

We need to figure out a way to get humanitarian aid in there. There are 44 million Ukrainians, only 1.4 of which had fled. As these cities get cut off from food, medicine, water, and electricity like in Mariupol, we're about to sit by and watch millions starve to death.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

We need to figure out a way to get humanitarian aid in there. There are 44 million Ukrainians, only 1.4 of which had fled. As these cities get cut off from food, medicine, water, and electricity like in Mariupol, we're about to sit by and watch millions starve to death.

Question is could we start having Red Cross air drops in these areas or would Russians fire upon these?

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Question is could we start having Red Cross air drops in these areas or would Russians fire upon these?

The Russians WANT to demoralize and destroy them it is NOT in Russia's best interest to keep the population well fed and defiant. I seriously doubt they'll allow any aid which can keep the population defending their homes. Especially if that means we can fly it in. They want them weak and surrendering.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Just got this text from my burner phone

BSTFreeMSG: All calls/texts to/from Ukraine are Free thr. 3/15/22 to help during these troubling times. Our hearts go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

Your burner phone? Like your adulterer phone? Not trying to be a jerk. I just don’t know of another reason why someone has a burner phone. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

putins “meeting” with Aeroflot workers used a green screen to make it look like they were close.

Think it's just the video compression...the high res version doesn't look so strange.  What I do find funny is how the first girl has a "get me out of here" look, while the second woman knows better and makes little approving nods.

image.thumb.png.7fcba52573b09864e8d527c5ccda8fa2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

Think it's just the video compression...the high res version doesn't look so strange.  What I do find funny is how the first girl has a "get me out of here" look, while the second woman knows better and makes little approving nods.

image.thumb.png.7fcba52573b09864e8d527c5ccda8fa2.png

This. It's been debunked in that reddit thread. First video was just highly compressed. No artifacts on the higher res version. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s stupid. A free speech absolutist is really dumb 

image.thumb.png.75a0ff44ebe903b442896c2f7a61a05a.png

The obvious problem with this is who is the one who gets to label what ideas are intolerant?  For example, Putin is (falsely) arguing that he is not tolerating nazis.  Almost any dispute now has both sides claiming the other side is intolerant/nazis.   If you make carve outs for free speech based on simple categorization terms, then those terms will then just get applied to everything and lose all meaning.  The only viable solution in our modern information age is an educated society that is trained on critical thinking and rhetoric to see through the falsehoods themselves.  

Edited by synoptic
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Your burner phone? Like your adulterer phone? Not trying to be a jerk. I just don’t know of another reason why someone has a burner phone. 

Quick question for the law dogs here, can death/bomb threats to a news(allegedly)network be traced back to a burner phone?  Asking  for a friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bevo Num1 said:
4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
FNGRNI3aIAERjWg?format=jpg&name=medium
Looks like some, not all, tried to paint over their headlights and leave a little slit.
Also, are they trying to block the engine's heat signature with the wood?

Seems like a really quick way to overheat your vehicle.

Or drive into a bunch of trees and wreck also. Some really beautiful artwork in the Twitter feeds of the people in Ukraine I am following if anyone needs an avatar or wallpaper: 

12348835-18A5-4586-A32D-32102B23541B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

OK, I get the no fly zone participation red line.  But a couple of things- Putin has already said sanctions are tantamount to a declaration of war.  Second, he knows his bumbling buffoon army would be chopped liver in an actual conflict.  So playing it out, we (NATO) imposes a no fly zone.  Russian planes are shot down by NATO planes because you know Putin immediately puts it to the test.  Putin declares war on who, all of NATO?  And then what?  Do we really think he’s ready to push the button over that?  Because that’s the only way he stays in the game, and no way he ends the world over his ego.  Of course, if I’ve miscalculated, well…

If we take down his air force, yes he'll use a tactical nuke or two. Putin is cornered as we speak.  He's lost face, his economy is dying under him.  He doesn't trust the military leadership, both because of the assassination threat, but also because somebody somewhere in the chain-of-command was bullshitting about Ukraine's capabilities, the West's resolve, and Russia's capabilities.

And people are rethinking the whole evil genius thing, and instead they are putting him in the context of somebody who was in the KGB and just used the stuff he learned in the KGB to get to the top and stay on top through killing off rivals and keeping the people closest to him relying on his continued well being. He knows jack shit about military matters and he got lucky in Chechnya, Georgia, etc. with simple brute force, and was extremely lucky that he and the Russia military weren't exposed for what they actually are.

This just does not end well for Putin and everybody else, because he has to come out of this with a lot of territory.  He's going to continue running his Air Force into the ground, bombing civilian areas in an attempt to get Ukraine to the table and giving him Eastern Ukraine.

Edit: He does not know how to back out of this, and he is clearly not a Stalin-type of character, at least not outside of his own mind.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, synoptic said:

The obvious problem with this is who is the one who gets to label what ideas are intolerant?  For example, Putin is (falsely) arguing that he is not tolerating nazis.  Almost any dispute now has both sides claiming the other side is intolerant/nazis.   If you make carve outs for free speech based on simple categorization terms, then those terms will then just get applied to everything and lose all meaning.  The only viable solution in our modern information age is an educated society that is trained on critical thinking and rhetoric to see through the falsehoods themselves.  

By the way, the Weimar Republic had laws against anti-Semitic speech, and punished the Nazi party for it, before they achieved power. To sum up- restrictions on speech served more to conceal Nazi anti Semitic feelings than it did to limit their anti semitic speech and thought. You have to wonder if polity would have been better served by letting them express their hate unfettered (like the US allowed in Skokie). 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s not like I’m rooting for it. It was dumb of MacArthur to want to drop one on the Chinese, too. 

It comes down to how badly does Putin want to “win” however he’s defining that in his own mind. Because I don’t see a lot of possibilities. Do you?
Never mind the nuclear option. How does Putin get out of this in a way he finds acceptable?

It’s my understanding he has enough ordinance to destroy the major cities without having to use nukes.
  • Rage+1 1

OK, I get the no fly zone participation red line.  But a couple of things- Putin has already said sanctions are tantamount to a declaration of war.  Second, he knows his bumbling buffoon army would be chopped liver in an actual conflict.  So playing it out, we (NATO) imposes a no fly zone.  Russian planes are shot down by NATO planes because you know Putin immediately puts it to the test.  Putin declares war on who, all of NATO?  And then what?  Do we really think he’s ready to push the button over that?  Because that’s the only way he stays in the game, and no way he ends the world over his ego.  Of course, if I’ve miscalculated, well…

I wish I shared the confidence of those who are confident that Putin won’t use nukes. We’re constantly being told how unhinged he is, and he has enough nuclear weapons to destroy every major western city at once.
  • Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If you are going to send me to be cannon fodder can I at least get to drive something a little cooler than a minivan?

Sure, just hop in one of those nondescript white work trucks that have glow in the dark target written all over them.

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Damnit Rubio. Mother fucker! And fuck the other senator too…

Is this a joke or for real?  The anger?  He’s in front of a white wall….   That gives no indication of location other than he’s in a building….

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, statsman said:

By the way, the Weimar Republic had laws against anti-Semitic speech, and punished the Nazi party for it, before they achieved power. To sum up- restrictions on speech served more to conceal Nazi anti Semitic feelings than it did to limit their anti semitic speech and thought. You have to wonder if polity would have been better served by letting them express their hate unfettered (like the US allowed in Skokie). 

• Hook 'Em 1