Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 hours ago, PTINS said:

image.png.a2f473187d8e22214f44261bd79bad9b.png

So basically the Valley was taken a few years ago, Houston just fell, Beaumont is under assault and there’s a huge Russian column stalled outside of Denton trying to surround the Metroplex. And nobody generally gives a F what’s happening west of the Dnieper River (I35). 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Smax said:

If shes dumb enough to go to Russia right now, shes dumb enough to leave a vape cart in her bag

Almost certainly planted.  She might be the most high profile name wanting to leave that they could nab to hold hostage.  I expect we will eventually pay a heavy ransom (not necessarily monetary) for her release.

3 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Almost certainly planted.  She might be the most high profile name wanting to leave that they could nab to hold hostage.  I expect we will eventually pay a heavy ransom (not necessarily monetary) for her release.

She was smoking weed at Baylor, and has ever since.  Not a surprise.   Just hope this doesn't turn into an ugly international incident.

Just now, clapclapclap said:

I don’t know. Reading the reports, it looks like they’re nailing her for CBD oil vape cartridges. That’s really really specific, and more the kind of thing an American would think is no big deal than a thing the Russians would use to plant evidence. 

Having said that, it is the kind of thing they probably would have overlooked under different circumstances. Also, I don’t think it’s just being a high profile name. She has very masculine features and is an openly gay woman while Putin is extremely anti transgender (Griner is NOT transgender, but is often mistaken for such) and certainly anti homosexual. If you don’t think that’s playing a factor here you’re being naive. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t know. Reading the reports, it looks like they’re nailing her for CBD oil vape cartridges. That’s really really specific, and more the kind of thing an American would think is no big deal than a thing the Russians would use to plant evidence. 

Having said that, it is the kind of thing they probably would have overlooked under different circumstances. Also, I don’t think it’s just being a high profile name. She has very masculine features and is an openly gay woman while Putin is extremely anti transgender (Griner is NOT transgender, but is often mistaken for such) and certainly anti homosexual. If you don’t think that’s playing a factor here you’re being naive. 

All of the above.  Unfortunately, she has all of the ingredients for Putin to make an example of.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Assuming not planted, fairly stupid to have anything even remotely illegal on you in Russia right now.

I doubt she smuggled cbd into Russia. Chances are the Russians either allowed her to bring them as a part of her agreement to play for that league or they could have even supplied them to her. Of course that tone changed when they saw the opportunity to hold a semi celebrity American hostage. And a gay one at that. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Assuming not planted, fairly stupid to have anything even remotely illegal on you in Russia right now.

It's never a good idea to ever have anything illegal in a airport. The chances of being searched/scanned are 100%. If she willingly did this she is a fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Sobering commentary I’m seeing more of.  The ones and twos sort of losses we are seeing from Ukraine now may start getting to 10s and 100s soon. 

I guess. 

My thinking is that for Putin to lose militarily it would have less to do with Ukraine and more to do with the concept he can’t replace his losses because his manufacturing infrastructure is shit and his country has been economically isolated. Maybe he can. It’s not clear to me. But that’s how he’s defeated while Ukraine still has the remnants of a standing army. 

The other thing is that even if he wins militarily he cannot win the occupation. No way no how. There’s no puppet government that can survive without Russian occupation. There’s no Russian occupation that can be effective with the level of resistance and the outside support we’re seeing. As far as Ukraine is concerned, Putin is fucked. Don’t know when that conclusion is drawn. Might be years from now. But that’s the calculus we’re looking at now. 

But yeah, the continued shelling of cities is going to get worse. The pleas from Zelensky and others to establish no fly zones will get louder. I don’t think anyone feels like we’ve come close to reaching peak daily death tolls yet. 

Went for a drive to clear my head and found a nail in my driver’s side tire. Awesomeness. Can’t get the song Zombie by the Cranberries out of my head (pun intended.) 

This is indeed one of the best if not the best thread we’ve had on surly. Some of y’all really putting in work/showing your work. 

Slava Ukraini! 🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦 Fuck Putin! It has to anger some around him that he’s just sitting there smiling and laughing right now while their money is being taken away and they are becoming North Korea. You’d think it would bother them enough to do something but I doubt it. If the idiot is strong with me as many of you believe/know then the propaganda and possible fear of his actions is strong with them? 

Edited by Nicole44

Israel getting involved now. Just a thought but, they would be the perfect proxies for NATO. They have a strong military, they're well funded, and really undercut the "Nazi" thing. If They were to come in and enforce a No-Fly for NATO (with NATO support under the table) I think that'll work. Russia won't be able to hit them due to the Closed skies of countries in between.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Israel getting involved now. They would be the perfect proxies for NATO. They have a strong military, they're well funded, and really undercut the "Nazi" thing. If They were to come in and enforce a No-Fly for NATO (with NATO support under the table) I think that'll work. Russia won't be able to hit them due to the Closed skies of countries in between.

This is silly and a compete misreading. No offense. One of those “you’re entitled to your opinion but your opinion is wrong” sort of things. 

They don’t undercut the Nazi thing. The Nazi thing is not meant for Western audiences, and the domestic Russian audience is not thinking Holocaust in regards to Ukrainian Naziism. It won’t matter. Even in the slightest. 

Israel coming in to enforce a no fly zone is laughable. The Israelis need to work with Russia in the Middle East to help counter Iran. That is Israel’s number one concern right now. They also have ties to the Russian oil and gas industry. Thirdly, the Ukrainian president is Jewish and there’s still a substantial Jewish population in Ukraine. 

Israel has no desire to send their military anywhere outside the defense of Israel. 

Also (broken record time) NATO will never participate in a no fly zone over Ukraine. Ever. Israel’s participation is a non factor. NATO isn’t going to. Israel isn’t going to. This is fanciful thinking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Israel getting involved now. Just a thought but, they would be the perfect proxies for NATO. They have a strong military, they're well funded, and really undercut the "Nazi" thing. If They were to come in and enforce a No-Fly for NATO (with NATO support under the table) I think that'll work. Russia won't be able to hit them due to the Closed skies of countries in between.

Isn’t this what triggers the Rapture?
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

This is silly and a compete misreading. No offense. One of those “you’re entitled to your opinion but your opinion is wrong” sort of things. 

They don’t undercut the Nazi thing. The Nazi thing is not meant for Western audiences, and the domestic Russian audience is not thinking Holocaust in regards to Ukrainian Naziism. It won’t matter. Even in the slightest. 

Israel coming in to enforce a no fly zone is laughable. The Israelis need to work with Russia in the Middle East to help counter Iran. That is Israel’s number one concern right now. They also have ties to the Russian oil and gas industry. Thirdly, the Ukrainian president is Jewish and there’s still a substantial Jewish population in Ukraine. 

Israel has no desire to send their military anywhere outside the defense of Israel. 

Also (broken record time) NATO will never participate in a no fly zone over Ukraine. Ever. Israel’s participation is a non factor. NATO isn’t going to. Israel isn’t going to. This is fanciful thinking. 

Yeah I edited to clarify it was purely my opinion, not any analysis or something. More like wishful thinking.

https://putinukrainebriefing.substack.com/p/putins-war-the-daily-ukraine-brief-1e8?s=w

https-bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-

Visually confirmed equipment losses.

All of this data comes from the work of Stijn Mitzer and others and is continually updated at OryxSpioenkop please check it out there and remember that because of the high volume of losses, the accounting is not necessarily up to date and instant. These numbers are also based on visually confirmed losses and are not comprehensive.

Russia has lost 601 pieces of equipment, including 85 tanks, 176 tracked armoured vehicles and 14 aircraft.

Ukraine has lost 190 pieces of equipment, including 34 tanks, 68 tracked armoured vehicles and 5 aircraft.

• Hook 'Em 1

as horrifying as this war has been in its very early days, particularly for civilians in ukraine right now - it's largely an idealogical one. i get that he feels threatened, economically and also militarily if ukraine were to join nato. but i don't really think this is what it's about, ultimately.

it's clear putin doesn't give a fuck about civilians and his communication to russians is pure propaganda at its worst.

that propaganda wouldn't be necessary from putins standpoint if the threat from ukraine was mostly economic and military (and would probably be viewed as justified in some sense) rather than idealogical. so that's why he needs the messaging to the russian general public, the lies and distortion. 

he can't just say "you know what, fuck everyone else" and have the general population jump on board.

he want's that, though.

but it's pretty clear to those outside of russia (and a chunk within), that "fuck everyone else" mindset is abhorrent. so he tries to justify it in whatever way he thinks will bring him more support.

ukraine is in the crosshairs, but it's really a war on the west, just as putin said our collective support of ukraine and sanctions was effectively also a declaration of war. 

i think this is escalating, even if their invasion has been underachieving thus far.

it's very dangerous - but clearly, this is about much more than ukraine.

Well, looks like she was arrested last month.

Foreign hostage taking in advance of the invasion? Now being used for pressure in the US? Putin counting on her race/gender/sexuality to play a role in dividing what he sees as the president’s base?
Last month Feb 28 or last month Feb 5?

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Foreign hostage taking in advance of the invasion? Now being used for pressure in the US? Putin counting on her race/gender/sexuality to play a role in dividing what he sees as the president’s base?

She has been in prison all this time?  And we're just hearing about it now??

• Rage+1 1

Social media is saying three weeks ago.

I’d imagine her family and reps and the government knew but I would guess they were advised not to go public because it would be easier to negotiate?

Interesting timing of the info being released.

And a vape cartridge is “large scale transportation of drugs”????

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One of my fears is Putin being allowed to re-enter the global economy down the road when everyone can easily conclude he would go on destabilizing the world in search of some mythological empire. 

No quarter to this asshole in society until he’s dead. Don’t offer any carrots. 

This is my thought, I've gone on record here saying I'm very hawkish on this one. We should be doing everything possible to stick a thumb in Putin's eye. I get that I'm not the majority though. There is still too much Marine in me.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

How effectively could Israel fight an air war in Ukraine?  They have the planes and pilots to do it for sure.  But what about logistics?  Israel and Ukraine are a long ways apart.

Why would it matter? How effectively could China fight an air war with the UK? Same chance of it happening. 

The Israeli Prime Minister heads to Moscow to meet Putin and people are posting about Israel flying fighter jets in Ukraine. That’s one hell of a jumping to conclusions mat. 

12 minutes ago, Stella Link said:

She has been in prison all this time?  And we're just hearing about it now??

Yeah, I don’t get this at all. If she was arrested last month, how are we hearing about this now? Something is off with this story. It makes way more sense for her detention to be recent. 

17 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Putin miscalculating again.  I am no Griner fan and not proud of my dumb ass jokes I've made about her, but there's no way in hell I'm ok with her being held captive in Russia.  Fuck Putin.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Israel makes more sense as a peace broker than an enforcer in this instance.

Well, I hope they schlelpp down some triple-decker corned beef and pastrami sandwiches with Russian dressing and cole slaw to feed  Vladimir and the boys.  Nothing like negotiating on a satisfied stomach....