Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

When this has calmed down, I’m looking forward to going to Russia with Tree Fiddy, converting it to Tree Fiddy million rubles and making it fucking RAIN at the finest strip club in Moscow.

Im guessing it's not possible to transfer say $1000 into rubles right now then just sit on it. Nuts

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So if Putin says the sanctions are a declaration of war then what countries have sanctioned Russia at this point?  Sounds like he is declaring war against most of the world, right?

He said that back when this all started and they sanctioned anyway and he hasn't done shit about it. Putin's major problem is his military is so weak he can't actually do anything about it unless he's willing to sacrifice his entire family, himself, and his allies. All he has is that giant bomb strapped to his back at this point and eventually if you don't detonate it people will start to think you won't. 

53 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The thing is, it doesn’t occur anywhere. The only place the conversations occur at all are within the echo chambers of either sides’ chosen method of discourse. And then it’s all one sided. 

Even reasonable conversations I’ve had on public forums are quickly reduced to shit flinging as soon as one person shows up with an agenda, either through conviction or just finding trolling of any sort grand entertainment. Not to mention all the obvious hired hands. I can’t tell you how many fruitless conversations I’ve had with people over the years who are obviously getting paid to post in support of one country or another.  Not just Russia. Israel and China in particular are terrible about it, too. And I’m a huge supporter of Israel, frankly. Not advocating for that position, but just full disclosure. 

We have to find a way to be able to talk to one another on opposite sides of an issue. Have to. I’m not saying this message board, and this thread is where we save the world. That’s ridiculous. But it would be nice if it could be done somewhere. 

This thread most definitely is not the place for that discussion. There actually is rational discussion of issues like this in the CR but unfortunately there’s a lot of noise too. Sometimes it bleeds over to this forum. 

sorry for the drift. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Scary Stranger said:

Then they greatly overestimated the value of a WNBA player.

I will say this would be an oddly specific way to plant something. Maybe she’s just dumb enough to carry vape cartridge cannabis oil with her. 

She’s American, and she’s part of a demographic that Putin and therefore the state security apparatus is hostile to. Hopefully she’s quickly released and is allowed to fly back to the US. Not what I’m expecting, but we’ll see.

There are a lot of European/American athletes competing in Russia in a variety of sports. Recent women’s volleyball hire Jordan Larson played in Russia a number of years, although currently she’s a professional in Italy. I posted on a volleyball forum a couple of weeks ago that if I was a friend of anyone who is non Russian playing in Russia I’d advise them to get the hell out of there immediately. The teams do a good job of making these athletes feel safe, but it’s an illusion. And now with all the flights cancelled it’s a logistical challenge. That country is not safe right now. I know I’m preaching to the choir here. Just venting.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/05/all-star-brittney-griner-arrested-in-russia-on-drug-charges/

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

On my Twitter machine I am seeing that Transnistria, the fake Russia backed “republic” in Moldova, has asked for international recognition.  Allegedly in response to Moldova’s move to ask for fast track EU membership. Seems like Putin is doubling down on a shitty hand.

That would be like College Station asking to be a nation. 

The transneistra thing is such a silly artifact of the end of the Cold War.  Essentially it’s more Ukrainian and Russian than Moldovan, and their was a fear Moldova would rejoin Romania.  After they didn’t, everyone agreed to live with their “independent “ status and got on with their lives.

The Russians only care because because it’s another way to fuck the Ukrainians by giving them partial control of the Dniester. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This is a fantastic point.  If I move a military column of 100 vehicles and 1000 men through an area, but I leave it and don’t leave sufficient forces behind to hold and secure it, I have not taken and held that region.   I have just driven through it.

To capture it requires a reasonably large occupying force, and a population mostly willing to be occupied.

The Russian forces, while large, are not nearly large enough to accomplish this and as we have seen, the Ukrainian’s are NOT willing to be occupied.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Smax said:

If shes dumb enough to go to Russia right now, shes dumb enough to leave a vape cart in her bag

Chances are she's been living there this whole time. Female basketball players get paid a lot more than the WNBA does to play in Russia during the WNBA offseason

https://m.republicworld.com/sports-news/basketball-news/wnba-players-stuck-in-russia-plan-to-leave-amid-ukraine-conflict-get-them-out-now-articleshow.html

4 minutes ago, Smax said:

If shes dumb enough to go to Russia right now, shes dumb enough to leave a vape cart in her bag

True. Clarification, though. She didn’t “go” to Russia. She’s leaving Russia. She plays basketball there professionally. Has for 8 years or so. She plays for a Russian team during the WNBA offseason. 

It’ll take a bit of time for the soils to freeze outside the surfical portion. The bearing capacity of the soils will also be limited depending on the depth of the freeze - you can still have a punching failure as those vehicles are pretty damn heavy. 

For the military folks, was the reason why Russia was able to demolish Aleppo because they had control of the skies? Seems like that won’t be the case for awhile if ever in Ukraine. 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

True. Clarification, though. She didn’t “go” to Russia. She’s leaving Russia. She plays basketball there professionally. Has for 8 years or so. She plays for a Russian team during the WNBA offseason. 

not any more

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Smax said:

Damn, we all know she’s leaving but I want to live in a world where she’s going to Russia… and all her friends/family just let her go, ‘safe travels!’   

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It’ll take a bit of time for the soils to freeze outside the surfical portion. The bearing capacity of the soils will also be limited depending on the depth of the freeze - you can still have a punching failure as those vehicles are pretty damn heavy. 

For the military folks, was the reason why Russia was able to demolish Aleppo because they had control of the skies? Seems like that won’t be the case for awhile if ever in Ukraine. 

The way he’s risking other soldiers and equipment he could still level any city in Ukraine like Aleppo but installing a puppet president on a giant pile of rubble doesn’t make much sense.  

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Chances are she's been living there this whole time. Female basketball players get paid a lot more than the WNBA does to play in Russia during the WNBA offseason

https://m.republicworld.com/sports-news/basketball-news/wnba-players-stuck-in-russia-plan-to-leave-amid-ukraine-conflict-get-them-out-now-articleshow.html

She’s paid around $220k to play for Phoenix Mercury. She’s probably been getting paid several times that to play in Russia. 

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

The way he’s risking other soldiers and equipment he could still level any city in Ukraine like Aleppo but installing a puppet president on a giant pile of rubble doesn’t make much sense.  

He also wasn’t trying to control Syria, he just wanted his strongman to win.

Ukraine with a puppet and military control does you no good, at least in the short and medium term, if the famers refuse to cash crop and instead just plant for their own local needs. 

Then you would have to engage in something like the Highland Clearances (I’ve mentioned this before) and that would take decades.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

This thread most definitely is not the place for that discussion. There actually is rational discussion of issues like this in the CR but unfortunately there’s a lot of noise too. Sometimes it bleeds over to this forum. 

sorry for the drift. 

How do you have time to follow both threads?  Between my real job, my family and this thread I’m always catching up on this one 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

How do you have time to follow both threads?  Between my real job, my family and this thread I’m always catching up on this one 

My kids are grown. And I can’t keep up with them either. 

Edited by DDD Dad

Sanctions talk- what would you rather have: tough US sanctions on Russia, or a JCPOA renewal? I’m not sure you can have both. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-nuclear-official-kamlavandi-says-god-willing-there-will-be-an-understanding-2022-03-05/

(I’m ok with dropping the JCPOA and using other approaches to keep Iran from getting nukes). 

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I just quickly scan for the Twitter and news posts mostly. Can catch up several pages in just a couple of minutes

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Perhaps there tank threads will get frozen. For the armor folks, what happens when the mud in your tracks freezes? 

I'm no tanker, but I grew up on a farm.  So long as it STAYS cold you're fine. Get the mud out of the tracks on day 1 and you don't hafta until it warms up.

If you're in a freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw stretch, you gotta clean mud every evening.  No problem if you're trained to do so and care about your machinery.  Looks to us the Russian conscripts do not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Actually, I did, albeit about 30 years ago, so I've largely forgotten it for some reason I remember Ramius helping the submarine get Clarke in for extraction, but that's largely it.

There’s quite a few pages dedicated to methods for overcoming atmospheric distortion and its effect on the lasers used from space…adaptive optics, wavelengths, power, etc.  It is quite difficult to actually bore a hole into something from space using light no matter how strong your laser is…especially if you’re doing it twice (ground-based lasers reflected off an orbiting mirror).  

ICBMs are most vulnerable while in the silo or during their boost phase.  Once they’re in space or going Mach 20+ in the atmosphere, the intercept solution is insanely difficult due to the sheer speed and your window is measured in seconds.  Cardinal goes into a lot of details on this.