Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Not trying to be an ass, but that’s actually a myth.

Not taken that way at all, if it isn't true its not.  I'd just always heard that, and it made sense to me given how many stretches of the system have fairly straight runs for over a mile.  

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

DOT says myth. Army says fact. 

Ofcourse, the myth busted is that 1 in every 5 miles has to be a suitable runway. That seems like a bit much. I doubt that such a system was built and no one thought to put in a few strategic places for that very purpose. 

I have no proof to agree with this, but I seem to remember this being the case, it's true to a degree, but grossly overstated.  Again, I have no proof to offer on this.  

With all the logistics talk, Wendover Productions on YouTube put out a good explainer on the logistical failures of Russia 

TLDW - Russias military runs on rail networks and Ukraine cut it's rails from Russia's so they have to rely on trucks to move goods. Their trucks are poorly maintained and vulnerable to simple small arms and molotovs, so troops are out of supplies. To make things worse (for pvt Ivan), russian doctrine is pretty much soviet doctrine so there's zero flexibility to quickly adapt to new challenges

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

This is crazy.  So Putin and oligarchs have been stealing basically all their defense money for the last 20 years?  It’s inconceivable that this is what their jets are relying on. 

spacer.png

9 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Putin is a gay man. I said what I said.

The people most ardently against homosexuality are the closeted gays terrified they'll be found out. I believe it.

8 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

For some reason, his name rings a bell...

I don't get the reference.

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

sitting on nuts is not what I advise.  

Says you

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

SIAP:

I know that this is all probably propaganda, but dear me, I want it so much to be true.

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I wish I shared the confidence of those who are confident that Putin won’t use nukes. We’re constantly being told how unhinged he is, and he has enough nuclear weapons to destroy every major western city at once.

Truth. Those claiming him doing so would be nonsensical are forgetting that he's not using any sense.

5 hours ago, BamaATL said:

So according to Statista, Russia's GDP was 1.483 trillion in 2020.  Of that GDP only 4.9% was dependent on oil and gas, which right now is pretty much all they have going for them.  I'm by no means an economist,  but that looks like beyond disaster status and into absolute economic death penalty type status.  I know a GDP is more complex as this also accounts for internal trade, but I can't think for the life of me that this combined with the 4.9% would equal anywhere near 50% of their until ten days ago total economy.  

Basically, I guessing near 50% of the Russian economy is gone, totally gone, for good.  That's great depression level of economy lost, without any clear path to recover it, ever.    

Really feel for the Russian people, who are basically prisoners in their own country now.

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

It really is time for Zelensky to take off to Poland.  Russia only needs to be right one time and he's a goner. It only takes one stray eye.  One lukcy comm intercept and the Russians kill him.  He needs to think about a government in exile just for a few more weeks because Russia is going to run of of supplies.

No, this is a bad idea. If he dies, he becomes just as powerful as a martyr. And sadly, he knows it, too.

This is why the man has balls of absolute steel. He knows they're after him, he knows he's likely going to die, but he stays there anyway, because he also knows it's what's best for Ukraine.

Who wouldn't follow him? He is, in every way, the anti-Putin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

spacer.png

The people most ardently against homosexuality are the closeted gays terrified they'll be found out. I believe it.

Says you

I know that this is all probably propaganda, but dear me, I want it so much to be true.

Truth. Those claiming him doing so would be nonsensical are forgetting that he's not using any sense.

Really feel for the Russian people, who are basically prisoners in their own country now.

No, this is a bad idea. If he dies, he becomes just as powerful as a martyr. And sadly, he knows it, too.

This is why the man has balls of absolute steel. He knows they're after him, he knows he's likely going to die, but he stays there anyway, because he also knows it's what's best for Ukraine.

I got to thinking about this again, and if my math is roughly correct, the US defense budget 2022 is $770 billion, will exceed the Russian GDP by about $70 billion.  That's sort of mind boggling.  The that pre Ukraine it was already at least 50% of their GDP is crazy.  

9 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

spacer.png

Says you

I don't agree with the idea of someone being a matyr.  If he is dead and we try rebuild that govt we need the people to be 100 sure of him.  His replacement will just be accused of being a puppet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I don't agree with the idea of someone being a matyr.  If he is dead and we try rebuild that govt we need the people to be 100 sure of him.  His replacement will just be accused of being a puppet. 

That's why UA's allies are already having discussions about his succession:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/05/us/politics/russia-ukraine-succession-zelensky.html

• Hook 'Em 2

Has anyone been tracking Chinese tank movements and deployments?  I'm betting the Chinese are thinking that if this continues they can easily annex Siberia and every thing east of the Urals.  That's another power that gives a damn about losing people, and the mineral wealth in the region might make it worthwhile to them.  

14 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Copy-pasting into one giant text the FSB Officer's analysis from Igor Sushko's post above because it's interesting, (the parenthesis are Igor's comments): Quote since it's long.

Reading that makes me feel a little better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Don’t know about the training part. A plane is a plane though right? I’ve flown a Baron so I could probably fly a f-16 /sarcasm

A plane may be a plane, to a large extent (there have been some references to dramatic differences between western and eastern bloc instrumentation), but a weapons system is not a weapons system.  And I think that's the biggest issue of all.

23 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Has anyone been tracking Chinese tank movements and deployments?  I'm betting the Chinese are thinking that if this continues they can easily annex Siberia and every thing east of the Urals.  That's another power that gives a damn about losing people, and the mineral wealth in the region might make it worthwhile to them.  

Clancy novel. The Bear and the Dragon. This war sets up that war quite well. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Clancy novel. The Bear and the Dragon. This war sets up that war quite well. 

I've read several Clancy novels in my youth, I didn't find them interesting, just as I don't find them interesting now.  His prose was dreadful and in no way insightful.  I wish people would stop referencing them in real world situations.  The second Putin either backs down or is deposed our killed, I think the Chinese will act in an opportunistic manner.  

Given the piss pour operation that Putin has unleashed in Ukraine, who doesn't think him weak?  Hell the Mongolians may well strike.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

How many "Company" guys have run to Ukraine to film all this abandoned enemy tech?  Lulz.

We're buying it wholesale on the Ukraine farmers commodity market.

Don't worry RDCanecutter has already figured out the side hustle for us all to cash in.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

There is some evidence out there that they've figured out how to use larger commercial drones as a munition delivery system in a local battlefield. Which makes me think 'advisors' testing new tech.

I can’t imagine they would risk doing that.

Apparently, it is Ukraine tech. It is a local battlefield drone that is dropping a RPG type munition from above. 
https://en.topwar.ru/178854-ukraina-osvoila-vypusk-boepripasov-dlja-bpla.html

That is interesting, though.

14 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Okay everyone, stop posting autoplay shit from Reddit, especially useless bullshit memes.  

Fuck Reddit in general, the whole of it entirely, but there is one video posted to 57 subs just 6 hours ago that's incredibly powerful. 

Note his plea (at the end of his interview) to Ukrainians who take Russian POWs, to save their health and life, because, "if you let them die, nobody will be able to go to our homeland [back to Russia] to tell them what happened here."

This should be played world wide repeatedly.

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Not a bad argument…but I don’t think we go there with that help right now with all eyes on Ukraine. We could…though Vlad. We can do a lot of stuff to you and your plans. Lots. And we haven’t even gotten to the final option yet fucker! 

Yes. This is a great idea, Anders. Now hear me out, guys: what we do is to funnel in advanced, modern lethal weaponry to the fighters operating in Idlib. Ya' see, since these fine people dislike Russia, they are therefore by definition good, peaceful democratic folks who have peace at the forefront of their minds. Thennnnn...once Russia is defeated, they will lay down their arms and will certainly create a forward-thinking society of tolerance, in which people of all colors and creeds will then come together and contribute to the betterment of global humanity as a whole, with particular attention paid to lifting up their young women in a respectful, progressive manner. But most importantly, war and conflict there will be over and those people will certainly not turn those weapons upon each other and no innocent civilians will be brutalized or subjugated. There is zero chance of that happening whatsoever.

I mean, we have done this this before and I don't think anyone could say that there was any blowback whatsoever from arming those fine fellows, outside of that little hiccup in Afghanistan.

808515487_ScreenShot2022-03-06at7_29_39AM.thumb.png.60b36b2deb042cb81ae46e1900bfe510.png

1036801519_ScreenShot2022-03-06at7_21_28AM.thumb.png.3f04ec13efc87a591a29cc5020093684.png

Jesus, some of these manichean hot takes on Twitter are fucking ridiculous. Can we just stick to supporting Ukraine and let the fucking jihadis and Russians kill each other in Syria and not giving The Artist Formerly Known as Al-Qaeda advanced fucking weaponry. Good God.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Gravy Train said:

For those who were asking about the nuke strike order system, this is a somewhat refreshing quote on that 2000-word, incredibly-damning FSB interview that was posted 2 hours ago.  It's fascinating and hellish at the same time, I'd recommend giving it a read.

This is pretty much what I was trying to get at earlier when I said I do not think it'll ever come to nuclear war. Historical precedence has shown that somewhere along the line somebody refuses. Cooler heads usually prevail. I posted the whole thing earlier, the FSB guy also says Putin is not suicidal.

The Bear and the Dragon on deck.
  • Hook 'Em 2

One of the pilots they shot down today and captured is just chilling with Assad, so he probably bombed Syrians before Ukrainians. People on twitter are undecided if he's the one by Assad or Putin. I think he's the dude on the right:

Edited by MillerEP