Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

36 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So send out a 2 craft sortie, launch 4 HARMS in a loitering mode just as you launch a full HIMRS salvo at the target. As soon as the air defense moves from passive to active mode the HARMS lock and hit the radars while the HIMRS then follow in right behind unopposed.

Would be a bit tricky from a timing standpoint, but makes a bit more sense than trying to pull off strike aircraft doing the close-in work with the limited air assets the UK has.

The beauty is that we have plenty of HARM missiles to give them.  Hell, the one that Russia displayed was manufactured in 1991 for F-14 Tomcats.  We’ve got some pretty deep storage if we can give them 30 year old missiles that were meant for fighters that haven’t flown in 15 years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The problem is the river. The UK has essentially blanketed the entire river and wiped out all crossings and targeted the various engineering battalions as well. So either they are rushing troops in to reinforce their side of the river or they are going to have to mass them further east and hope they can fidn a crossing at a point that 1, they can actually do it and 2, wont be a disaster.

I'm guessing they are reinforcing "their" side of the river and also to keep existing troops from fleeing further toward Crimea.

40 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So send out a 2 craft sortie, launch 4 HARMS in a loitering mode just as you launch a full HIMRS salvo at the target. As soon as the air defense moves from passive to active mode the HARMS lock and hit the radars while the HIMRS then follow in right behind unopposed.

Would be a bit tricky from a timing standpoint, but makes a bit more sense than trying to pull off strike aircraft doing the close-in work with the limited air assets the UK has.

That was what the "Wild Weasel" pilots did in Vietnam.  Hairy game of chicken.  Bombers went in, Vietnamese air defenses lit up, and the weasel pilots got in between the bombers, trying to draw off missiles and destroy the launch pads

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

An offensive like this can cut both ways.  If the Russians can stop the Ukrainians and throw them back, they would want to keep the pressure on and counterattack wherever Ukraine is weakest.  Russia could be trying to reinforce to hold, set the situation to allow a withdrawal, or reinforce to throw back the Ukrainians and take the offensive themselves.  If I were in charge of the Russian forces, I would try for going on the counterattack.  With their logistical difficulties, it may be the best option.  See also Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain at Little Round Top during the Battle of Gettysburg.

With the caveat that we don't actually KNOW what's happening on the ground........this seems like the best play for Russia.  If your enemy is coming at you and you need to disrupt him, you don't play defense alone.  The best and most disruptive defense is a counterattack.  Throw everything you've got at the enemy, preferably in the weakest spots where he won't expect it (Battle of the Bulge says "hi").  That said....if you throw everything you've got at them.....and it doesn't work....and now you're out of "stuff" (like artillery rounds).....then the end-game isn't pretty for you.  It's a big gamble.  But it may still be their best play.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The beauty is that we have plenty of HARM missiles to give them.  Hell, the one that Russia displayed was manufactured in 1991 for F-14 Tomcats.  We’ve got some pretty deep storage if we can give them 30 year old missiles that were meant for fighters that haven’t flown in 15 years.  

top-gun-tom-cruise.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The US Air Force has had MiG-29s for around 25 years, so I’m assuming they’ve had a little help with the “integration”

There's a privately owned Mig-29 that was at Oshkosh this year. 

Once again, communism's weapons are capitalism's play things.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

An offensive like this can cut both ways.  If the Russians can stop the Ukrainians and throw them back, they would want to keep the pressure on and counterattack wherever Ukraine is weakest.  Russia could be trying to reinforce to hold, set the situation to allow a withdrawal, or reinforce to throw back the Ukrainians and take the offensive themselves.  If I were in charge of the Russian forces, I would try for going on the counterattack.  With their logistical difficulties, it may be the best option.  See also Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain at Little Round Top during the Battle of Gettysburg.

RU has repeatedly shown the inability to establish river crossings even before HIMARS arrived. The Dnipro at Kherson is about 300 meters wide. RU ain’t going on any offensive beyond the river.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

RU has repeatedly shown the inability to establish river crossings. The Dnipro at Kherson is about 300 meters wide. RU ain’t going on any offensive beyond the river.

They've got a large chunk of troops and equipment on the north (UKA) side of the river to use.  In fact, with the river at their back, it may well be a "use em or lose em" situation.  Might as well attack, if you can.

• Hook 'Em 3

They've got a large chunk of troops and equipment on the north (UKA) side of the river to use.  In fact, with the river at their back, it may well be a "use em or lose em" situation.  Might as well attack, if you can.

UKR officers are going to need medical attention after 4 hours at the thought they wouldn’t have to engage 20K RU troops in fortified urban combat.
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Guys, there's an entire CR thread for CR talk.  Let's not ruin a good thing.

agreed in general (that we should stick to news) but he's a vatnik peddling Russian disinformation and deserves to be clowned. 

NAFO will take care of him so let's move on.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That treasonous fuckwit needs a foil-tray frozen turkey dinner rammed up his ass sideways, preferably while he's a passenger on a one-way flight dropping his sorry ass in Kherson for a "Putin victory party."

what do you have against airplanes that you'd put him on one

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

This move has very Nicholas II energy about it.  In September 1915, Nicholas II sidelined his cousin and took over the role as commander-in-chief of Russian forces.  His problem was that it made him personally responsible for the outcome of the war (which didn't turn out too well).

Well that and he left Alexandra (and by extension Rasputin) in charge back in St. Petersburg. 

2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have seen evidence of Russia AD being able to intercept GMLRS? If they could they would have used them to protect the bridges and larger ammo depots that have been hit repeatedly. 

My guess is the HARMs are being used in conjunction with TB-2s and other larger UAVs. Or generally hitting targets of opportunity to keep the Russians moving and radars turned off.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

This move has very Nicholas II energy about it.  In September 1915, Nicholas II sidelined his cousin and took over the role as commander-in-chief of Russian forces.  His problem was that it made him personally responsible for the outcome of the war (which didn't turn out too well).

Putin also has even less military knowledge than the guy he is replacing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Also reminds me of the chain of command of this other guy with ties to Russia.

image.png.edf36eea4f1774475784b8016a3cc3ee.png

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Fico said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have seen evidence of Russia AD being able to intercept GMLRS? If they could they would have used them to protect the bridges and larger ammo depots that have been hit repeatedly. 

My guess is the HARMs are being used in conjunction with TB-2s and other larger UAVs. Or generally hitting targets of opportunity to keep the Russians moving and radars turned off.

The goal is to get them to turn on their radars and try.

• Hook 'Em 1

With the caveat that we don't actually KNOW what's happening on the ground........this seems like the best play for Russia.  If your enemy is coming at you and you need to disrupt him, you don't play defense alone.  The best and most disruptive defense is a counterattack.  Throw everything you've got at the enemy, preferably in the weakest spots where he won't expect it (Battle of the Bulge says "hi").  That said....if you throw everything you've got at them.....and it doesn't work....and now you're out of "stuff" (like artillery rounds).....then the end-game isn't pretty for you.  It's a big gamble.  But it may still be their best play.

Agree with you however I'm not sure losing Kherson is when you make that play. Similar to Severodonetsk for the Ukrainians, this looks like bad fight for the Russians. It's the furthest theater from home (and closest for the enemy), vulnerable supply lines, semi encircled, strong enemy air defense over the battlefield, etc. If I was the Russians, I would save the last ditch counter attack for the Donbass. Grated, as a genius once said, "we are lucky the Russians are so stupid."

This was what happened so often in WWI.  Attack and counterattack.  Rinse.  Wash.  Repeat.  Tannenberg.  Ypres.  Galicia.  Cambrai.  The Marne.  The list goes on.  

This is going to turn into a protracted war of attrition as so many opined about early on. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The goal is to get them to turn on their radars and try.

Ideally yes but if they are driving around constantly with piss running down leg and not turning the radars on that works too. SEAD vs DEAD. Either way it opens up opportunities for other systems to start doing work on unprotected grunts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Fico said:

They claim that they can prior to the war, but I have some doubts. Combat testing in the field so far has at best shown that they have not been as effective as claimed, putting it nicely. 

That being said, overlaying multiple systems (which goes back to the larger depot/COC approaches) would have a much more likely chance of doing so, and it’s either do that which is supposed to be state approved doctrine or to pull back farther from the front and face Moscows wrath.

Earlier in the the conflict they tried to set stand alone and/or mobile systems at key bridges with little real effect. That was what brought out the questions about actual operational capability vs. RU claims.

I have my doubts how effective they really can be, but they the other option is essentially to forgo any supply depots that could be reached by HIMARS and admit the loss of tactical control of your ability to resupply. 

They can’t not do something, so if the best option is to do hardened multi system overlays to try and protect them, so be it. In doing so, they now force the UKR to adapt with the HARMS.

• Hook 'Em 2