Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

So do the Ukrainians have anything that vaguely fills the same slot as the A-10?

SU-25 fills the CAS role for both sides. I'm sure I am missing some but other platforms that can do CAS SU-24, Mi-8's, Mi-24/35s. Not to mention drone dropped shit. 

All that said, I think it is unlikely to see a lot of traditional CAS from either side with the overwhelming prevalence of SAMs and MANPADs. My amateur opinion, is more likely drone, SOF and/or partisan reconnaissance followed by quick HIMARS or M270 volley. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

So do the Ukrainians have anything that vaguely fills the same slot as the A-10?

They field some Soviet Su-25 Frogfoot aircraft which is basically the Soviet answer to the A-10.  Unknown how many remain in operational.  But those aircraft are very vulnerable, Russians and UA have lost a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

How is Ukraine able to keep their drones up, while Russia can not?

If it's happening, that's probably one of the more remarkable developments and a very closely guarded secret. Pre-war, and stop me if we've heard this before, Russian EW was thought to be top notch. The recent Washington Post series covering the opening weeks (which I highly recommend), the Russians were able to jam/hack/whatever most of the Ukraine's air defense and communications. 

I imagine since then it's something a lot of NATO nerds have been working on with their Ukrainian counterparts 24/7. 

Also, at least according to the articles, Starlink was clutch in reestablishing Ukrainian C&C.

• Hook 'Em 5

I am really curious about what happens to the 25k Russian troops now trapped on the wrong side of the river. The issue is to essentially surround them and starve them out will require a ton of troops and time dedicated to that task instead of the real objective of creating a bridgehead over the river.

The RU commander has to know that 1, they are now fully cut off, 2, any retreat over the river means they leave all their equipment behind, 3, the longer they hold out the longer they contain the Ukrainian advance, 4, the longer they hold out the closer winter comes and being trapped with no supplies in the cold is going to be a disaster.

So how does this not become a stalemate until probably October or November and then surrendering to allow your now exhausted and frozen troops to get a reprieve from the elements?

The armor is lost regardless, and the metal is the real choke point of the RU war machine right now. The loss of men (and the politics impact it would have inside of Russia) is not any where near as bad as the loss of the armor and vehicles. Without the metal, the meat is pointless against the Ukrainian army.

8 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I am really curious about what happens to the 25k Russian troops now trapped on the wrong side of the river. The issue is to essentially surround them and starve them out will require a ton of troops and time dedicated to that task instead of the real objective of creating a bridgehead over the river.

The RU commander has to know that 1, they are now fully cut off, 2, any retreat over the river means they leave all their equipment behind, 3, the longer they hold out the longer they contain the Ukrainian advance, 4, the longer they hold out the closer winter comes and being trapped with no supplies in the cold is going to be a disaster.

So how does this not become a stalemate until probably October or November and then surrendering to allow your now exhausted and frozen troops to get a reprieve from the elements?

The armor is lost regardless, and the metal is the real choke point of the RU war machine right now. The loss of men (and the politics impact it would have inside of Russia) is not any where near as bad as the loss of the armor and vehicles. Without the metal, the meat is pointless against the Ukrainian army.

That Russian metal doesn't have more ammo coming its way, either.  Relentlessly pound them.  Pause for a few minutes to send them a message encouraging them to surrender so they don't die for now reason.

Cutting off a big chunk of enemy troops from resupply and relief, while pounding them?  That's a good path to getting them to give the fuck up.   And 25k troops out of the battle -- dead or captured, doesn't matter -- would be a huge win.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The hilux can haul a bunch in its bed, but can't really pull much, so it's not really ideal for people who need something to tow.

Yeah, but I can up armor them and make a mean ass work vehicle. Speaking from experience. They were our go to for development projects in Afghanistan and in Africa. I have pulled light loads. And not everyone (Talking to you Katy and Mopac) needs a 250. 

For the record. Was driving one up a wadi in Helmand. Broke the fucker. Axle snapped... Loved that truck. Also broke a land cruiser. Maybe I should not be allowed to drive Toyotas. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Dumb question here as I eat lunch and have my brain set to energy saver. 

is it possible, and also is it worthwhile, to take a10 airframe and convert it to a uav?

It's not the bad idea. I've seen talk about using the A-10 or others as a munitions trucks lugging large amounts of longer range ordinance to fire well behind the front line while using smaller, stealthy drones over the contested space sending back targeting info

23 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Would Russia launch a big counterattack to break through to the encircled 25k?

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Would Russia launch a big counterattack to break through to the encircled 25k?

The real question, and crux of this battle, is can Russia launch a big counterattack to try to break through to them?  With the river in the way and how HIMARS o'clock has been eroding Russian supplies and equipment, I don't think that they can.

ETA - This doesn't mean that Russia won't try, nor that Russia won't do something else, like shoot cruise missiles at Kyiv or Odessa.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe....but there's a river in the way, with no real bridges, as I understand their position.

They still have a fuck ton of Mi-8's and Mi-26's. Not sure how far Ukraine's SAMs can cover into the area. Obviously they can't support the whole group of Russians on the west side but could make a dent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Fico said:

It's not the bad idea. I've seen talk about using the A-10 or others as a munitions trucks lugging large amounts of longer range ordinance to fire well behind the front line while using smaller, stealthy drones over the contested space sending back targeting info

It’s not an A-10, but this is literally be the Air Force’s long term plan:F-35 working stealth in coordination with Drones, while F-15EX and F-18s stand off with bombs and missiles.

Eventually the B-21 will act as the stealth bomb truck.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The A-10 is really cool when you have total air superiority.  When there are enemy fighters and a whole lot of SAM's, not so much because it's a very slow jet with no stealth capabilities.  The Ukrainians would be much better off with a more modern fighter/bomber.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The A-10 is really cool when you have total air superiority.  When there are enemy fighters and a whole lot of SAM's, not so much because it's a very slow jet with no stealth capabilities.  The Ukrainians would be much better off with a more modern fighter/bomber.

When is Russia going to start using their Yak-1s?

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It’s not an A-10, but this is literally be the Air Force’s long term plan:F-35 working stealth in coordination with Drones, while F-15EX and F-18s stand off with bombs and missiles.

Eventually the B-21 will act as the stealth bomb truck.

We are seeing right now why the U.S. investment in stealth is so vital, followed by stand-off weapons and superior radar and guided weapons.  Non-stealthy manned aircraft are not survivable in modern contested air space. Modern air defense is too good. Speed and maneuverability are far, far down the list. 

See the other guy before he sees you, shoot him, fly away.  

• Hook 'Em 5