Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I'm elated to hear the Ukraine seems to have a plan in place to get into the newly liberated territories and get public services back up and running as quickly as possible.  Such a contrast to the medieval situation the residents had to endure when the Russians were there.

Surely the fence sitting Russian speakers who live in the area have to appreciate the fundamental difference.  I'm hoping at least.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Wow, what an offensive can do! These dick butts were calling for complete victory. Now, well the story has changed! Love it. The UA can slow it down a bit. Russia has already lost. I would love to drink a bottle of wine and redo the translation. These dudes know they are fucked. 

Holy shit can this dude be anymore transparent.

I went and looked again to be sure I wasn’t imagining it. It calls him a “filmmaker” and after bringing up Finnish war he says “small things need to change”. American films on our tv not good. 
Dude doesn’t care about Russia but Russians should go and watch his films. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Holy shit can this dude be anymore transparent.

I went and looked again to be sure I wasn’t imagining it. It calls him a “filmmaker” and after bringing up Finnish war he says “small things need to change”. American films on our tv not good. 
Dude doesn’t care about Russia but Russians should go and watch his films. 

Maybe he has a series about the Soviet-Finnish War.

• Haha 2

Nobody else on the panel was stopping him, not the producers, not the panelists.  That may have stood out more than anything else.  We’ve seen other panelists shout down panelists who aren’t towing the line, or saying disagreeable stuff, or they just argue over one another.

Those panelists just stood there like they didn’t know how to respond.  The producers could have cut his camera at any time.

Nervous Keanu Reeves GIF by IFC

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This feels counterproductive for the people of Georgia. 

Putin maybe feeling pressure from the sanctions, now that they are having a serious impact (asking your public employees to give up salary for socks and underwear for the troops is some fucking third-world bullshit), hence his puppets going out on state TV and admitting to defeats and talking about treating Ukraine like a country.  

If Georgia tries to take their land back, and Russia goes scorched earth, the sanctions won't be lifted anytime soon.  There's no way Georgia is truly worth the amount of sanctions that Putin is currently under.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Putin maybe feeling pressure from the sanctions, now that they are having a serious impact (asking your public employees to give up salary for socks and underwear for the troops is some fucking third-world bullshit), hence his puppets going out on state TV and admitting to defeats and talking about treating Ukraine like a country.  

If Georgia tries to take their land back, and Russia goes scorched earth, the sanctions won't be lifted anytime soon.  There's no way Georgia is truly worth the amount of sanctions that Putin is currently under.

Yeah, but you said they were voting on going to war with themselves.

god damn..

even the Taliban has some fucking scruples.   you follow their brand of islam, basically turn women into slaves, and you can fucking live amongst them

these piece of shit russians just want to kill anything and steal anything.  Ronald Regan was right, we need to outlaw the whole god damned race and shoot every mother fucker in the fucking head and just start over in the middle of Eurasia. 

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Thugs just want to act “tough” and 0% thought process goes into their decisions.

Yeah, but they have a hefty-chunk of Georgians who have been fighting in Ukraine, to help base any attacks around.

24 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, but you said they were voting on going to war with themselves.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

807C2F8D-FC9C-4406-BE88-5FD21CFFB7F0.thumb.jpeg.a43609bc091eddea4591f7d9524e56a9.jpeg

Help me out here artillery experts. 
If you have good counter battery radar to launch a barrage against radar detected fire, how long should opponents have to move? I would be thinking a minute or so. However I now realize maybe this is so far from UR arties it might not matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

If you have good counter battery radar to launch a barrage against radar detected fire, how long should opponents have to move? I would be thinking a minute or so. However I now realize maybe this is so far from UR arties it might not matter. 

Yeah I was thinking why have multiple systems shooting from the same position? 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

FckdJGkXgAAs2d1?format=jpg&name=medium

Fcke0GjXkAMXNak?format=jpg&name=medium

FckZ4biaQAAjEIf?format=jpg&name=medium

PS

Watch my films.  
Will admit his speech is a slow burn on recognizing where UR is at this moment. I just cannot see any way Putin thinks he can reverse the course. However these idiots are never rational actors so who knows how infected Putin’s brain is now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, The Dog said:

807C2F8D-FC9C-4406-BE88-5FD21CFFB7F0.thumb.jpeg.a43609bc091eddea4591f7d9524e56a9.jpeg

Dumb comment/question amnesty: I assume each of those missiles is loaded with different GPS coordinates for separate targets. Is that true? If so, I can see how each battery could do a helluva a lot of damage in one fell swoop. You sit there for a couple of minutes and wipe out a bunch of shit over a wide zone with just af truck or two and move on down the road. Gotdam. 

It feels like some really crazy shit is about to go down in Russia.

How much back channeling are we doing with Russian power brokers trying to setup the least worst scenarios should Putin’s grip on power end?

This feels like watching a plane with both engines on fire and failed landing gear trying to land.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

My understanding is that the range of HIMARS is much greater than the longest range tube artillery that Russia has, and that Russian rocket artillery with similar range to HIMARS is not nearly as accurate.  At the range they are from the Russians, the HIMARS may be able to be out of the impact zone before the return fire is even halfway there.

Having two launchers that close together says to me that Ukraine is pretty confident that no effective return fire would be coming.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

I listened to a really good WSJ podcast with Gerry Baker and Fred Kagan. Kagan made a couple of interesting points-

1. Tactical nukes are a risk Ukraine is willing to take and even face. It’s their decision. 

2. Putin made it clear that this invasion of Ukraine was a trial run before taking on the Baltics, and even Poland. By helping Ukraine, NATO gets to stop and even defeat Putin before he attacks a NATO member. Helping Ukraine is the best use of defense dollars imaginable, because a Ukrainian win spares us a NATO war. 

3. Putin thinks he can bring Europe to its knees through energy denials. Problem for him is that there are nations assisting Ukraine that aren’t dependent on Russian energy. It truly is a coalition of the willing. 

4. A Ukrainian victory is very possible, with the caveat that Crimea may be a different deal. Crimea is much easier to defend. That will be a tough nut. The “mainland” Ukraine is very possible. 

1. Tactical nukes are a risk Ukraine is willing to take and even face. It’s their decision. 
 Would suck for everyone, but yes, it is their call. The world is trying to stop that. Russia just does not want to listen. 

2. Putin made it clear that this invasion of Ukraine was a trial run before taking on the Baltics, and even Poland. By helping Ukraine, NATO gets to stop and even defeat Putin before he attacks a NATO member. Helping Ukraine is the best use of defense dollars imaginable, because a Ukrainian win spares us a NATO war. 
 Yep. Putin created something he could not imagine. And now he needs to watch events on his southern zone and always worry about China. 

3. Putin thinks he can bring Europe to its knees through energy denials. Problem for him is that there are nations assisting Ukraine that aren’t dependent on Russian energy. It truly is a coalition of the willing. 

And a lot of nations are upping their supply. They see a way to get into the Russia dominated market. 

4. A Ukrainian victory is very possible, with the caveat that Crimea may be a different deal. Crimea is much easier to defend. That will be a tough nut. The “mainland” Ukraine is very possible. 

Maybe, but maybe not. Make it unlivable. You don't have to take terrain if they cannot live there or hold it. UA has shown they will hammer the Russians in Ukrainian cities. They will do it there. I would not want to be trapped in the Crimea. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My understanding is that the range of HIMARS is much greater than the longest range tube artillery that Russia has, and that Russian rocket artillery with similar range to HIMARS is not nearly as accurate.  At the range they are from the Russians, the HIMARS may be able to be out of the impact zone before the return fire is even halfway there.

Having two launchers that close together says to me that Ukraine is pretty confident that no effective return fire would be coming.

Yeah, the biggest threat to a HIMARS is a drone strike, depending on the range.   Which means the Ukraines feel pretty good about their radar/AA/MANPAD situation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Dumb comment/question amnesty: I assume each of those missiles is loaded with different GPS coordinates for separate targets. Is that true? If so, I can see how each battery could do a helluva a lot of damage in one fell swoop. You sit there for a couple of minutes and wipe out a bunch of shit over a wide zone with just af truck or two and move on down the road. Gotdam. 

They could be used that way, or they could be programmed to hit in slightly different points at the same location.  Remember the lines of holes in the bridge near Kherson?  Or they could be programmed to hit in a pattern on and around a command post.  Lots of possibilities.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Maybe, but maybe not. Make it unlivable. You don't have to take terrain if they cannot live there or hold it. UA has shown they will hammer the Russians in Ukrainian cities. They will do it there. I would not want to be trapped in the Crimea. 

The Dnieper river supplies Crimea with water. It runs through Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

They could be used that way, or they could be programmed to hit in slightly different points at the same location.  Remember the lines of holes in the bridge near Kherson?  Or they could be programmed to hit in a pattern on and around a command post.  Lots of possibilities.

Yeah, I had that bridge in the back of my mind and figured their coordinates could be set closely together. My comment was based on how all those missiles took off in the video and some of them seemed to be on different trajectories from the outset. Either way, you can sense how they'd be game changers.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

It's....complicated.  It depends mainly on:

• Distances involved
  • What type of systems are involved and dedicated to CB (shells or rockets, towed or self-propelled, how fast can the gun be positioned or does the rocket launcher need to do anything). 
  • Whether you have the radar actually looking directly at the area it's coming from when the first rounds are fired and/or are able to automatically feed coordinates to a gun.
  • Are there any safety checks i.e. a human being making sure you are not shelling a village.

Roughly, I think 5 minutes can be safely assumed as far as CB rounds being on target after picking up the incoming fire (if we are talking decent distances), but if everything is running, but with the right systems/automation (rockets)  and distances, and no safety checks, possibly 3-4 minutes.  

It's preferable to use MLRS for CB for speed and coverage - saturate an area so that you can catch any towed guns that managed to hitch up rapidly, and catch any SPGs that are moving out too slowly.

I would be surprised if Russians could move their towed stuff in under 5 minutes (then again they are probably skipping a lot of steps), especially if they start out firing under cover and/or don't have the trucks up on the line, but their SPGs should already be on the move within a couple of minutes.

I've seen Ukrainians getting M777s on the move in around 3 minutes, so I doubt the Russians are doing effective CB fire against them, and if they are using MLRS, I don't think their MLRS are accurate enough for CB fire against Ukrainians.  M777s were built for shoot-and-scoot.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah, the biggest threat to a HIMARS is a drone strike, depending on the range.   Which means the Ukraines feel pretty good about their radar/AA/MANPAD situation. 

That was my thoughts too. Easier to protect them with a couple of good MANPADS teams and/or mobile SAM. 

We haven't seen any evidence of it but if, big if, Russian point defense has caught a few GMLRS it might be helpful to fire off in a salvo to overwhelm it?

23 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

They have a much longer range, and I bet the Ukrainians are operating HIMARS at a healthy range.  HIMARS can be on the move in under a minute after firing.

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, I had that bridge in the back of my mind and figured their coordinates could be set closely together. My comment was based on how all those missiles took off in the video and some of them seemed to be on different trajectories from the outset. Either way, you can sense how they'd be game changers.

A single HIMARS or especially the M270 MLRS (twice the same type of payload as HIMARS) can do some insane damage.  Grabbed this off of the specs (M26 rockets with bomblets, each rocket has over 600 half-pound shaped-charge bomblets) (just cut the numbers below in half for the HIMARS):

A full salvo of a single M270, consisting of twelve 227 mm M26 rockets, hit 7728 anti-personnel submunitions (bomblets) on an area of 24 hectares in less than one minute. And one MLRS battery (9 installations), firing 108 missiles, had firepower equivalent to 33 cannon artillery battalions. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1