Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

24 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I counted thirteen men in the top Tweet.  I'm not familiar with the TO&E of a Russian motorized rifle platoon, but that's a squad in my old assed Marine infantry days, 1/3 of a platoon.  If that's all that's left, damn.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Im sure its been discussed here, but we really should start thinking about Russia post Putin.  Is it as simple as next man up, or do the moderates come out of the woodworks and flood the streets demanding a West-leaning democratic ethos?

Neither.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Im sure its been discussed here, but we really should start thinking about Russia post Putin.  Is it as simple as next man up, or do the moderates come out of the woodworks and flood the streets demanding a West-leaning democratic ethos?

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

Neither.

I think it devolves into a civil war.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

"Navel" news?  Damn.

Real story, though.  When my wife was teaching a college course as a GA, she had a student who was utterly crushed that he had been passed over for an appointment to Annapolis and said he had been told that his essay on why he should get the appointment was the cause.  Since it was an English writing class he asked her to review it and give him pointers, as he was going to try again.  In the first sentence he said something like, "I should be appointed to a position in the 1991 class at the U. S. Navel Academy because..."  When she pointed his mistake out to him, he barfed in her trashcan.  Poor kid never got an appointment, but he did get a decent degree, so I guess it worked out for the best.

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

That’s a lot worse than my “haring bone” gaffe in the racist Mexican (but not really a Mexican) Plano milf (mug shot exposed her to be  ‘not a milf’) thread a few weeks ago. 

Fuck Putin right in the bellybutton

• Hook 'Em 1

While it's not over yet, I just wanted to express my gratitude for having competent leadership here, a competent intelligence community, and a bad ass military, and friends in Europe which helped the Ukrainians not only survive the Russian onslaught, but also to reclaim lost territory and kick the shit out of those scumbags.  I am impressed by Zelensky and the Ukrainian men and women who fought back as well as all the mercenaries and volunteers who assisted.  There really are more good people in the world they just sometimes need a nudge.   

Also impressed by Russia's complete fucking failure.   They really are impressive in their ineptness and lack of morality.   It seems their principal export really was cruelty and corruption.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I also think that Russia also thought that Biden would be too weak to lead a response and that Boris Johnson would not respond the way that he did. 

Looking at it from Putin's point of view:

1.  Zelensky looked too weak to rally Ukraine, Biden too weak to lead an international response, and Europe too divided to assist Ukraine.

2.  Russia had Europe by the short hairs energywise, with no apparent alternatives that were economically feasible.

3.  He had many Ukrainians bought and acting on his direction.  He thought that they would all stay bought.

4.  He had a powerful fighting force in position to execute a decent invasion plan.

5.  He had to go before any of these conditions changed.

He failed because too many of his assumptions were based on hope, not fact.

Also to note: the sudden withdrawal from Afghanistan last year was also seen as a sign of weakness. Either as simply militarily weakness or, at a minimum, a sign that USA's foreign policy was shifting away from overseas adventures.

Just as we don't understand their willingness to go to war to annex territory, the Russians don't understand why anyone would willingly give up force in an occupied nation.

Edited by dimyh
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fico said:

Agree with all of what y'all said. The massive public intelligence dump, and not just sharing with allied and/or other governments but putting that shit on blast in world wide media by the US, UK & others made a massive difference in torpedoing Putin's plans before this shit even started. Add to that Russians lying through their teeth for the world see.  Putin got away with 2014 because the world wasn't looking and it was over before the world could react. He took that as the West not having the will, cohesion, and mindset to give a shit about Ukraine. I'm damn proud of the West's response. 

6 months into this, a lot of things are obviously clear, but the Russians should have been a helluva lot more concerned that US/NATO intelligence was not only putting their plans on blast, but we were accurately predicting everything they were going to do, and where they were going to do it.

We had completely stripped their operational security away from them, and it should have worried the shit out of them, but nope, they went ahead and invaded.

And here we are in September, and Ukraine has displayed an amazing amount of said operational security, resulting in an entire a Russian front collapsing, another one being pounded, and the Ukrainians still have plenty left to exploit any weaknesses.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

6 months into this, a lot of things are obviously clear, but the Russians should have been a helluva lot more concerned that US/NATO intelligence was not only putting their plans on blast, but we were accurately predicting everything they were going to do, and where they were going to do it.

We had completely stripped their operational security away from them, and it should have worried the shit out of them, but nope, they went ahead and invaded.

And here we are in September, and Ukraine has displayed an amazing amount of said operational security, resulting in an entire a Russian front collapsing, another one being pounded, and the Ukrainians still have plenty left to exploit any weaknesses.

After we put them on blast, they allowed themselves to get past their go/no-go date.  They basically had to go through with it even if it wasn't feasible at that juncture and hope that it would be successful.  They were spending something in the neighborhood of $100mm/day just trying to feed/fuel/arm the amassed force for what was at that point a Military Exercise.  That's an expensive fucking exercise for a country that was in the throws of a terrible recession coming off of COVID meltdown.  THe people would've been furious if all that money was wasted over nothing.  Turns out, they multiplied their waste by 1000-fold in 7 months and are about to lose all semblance of power they thought they had.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Really confused at the lack of reporting on a possible assassination attempt. 

1. Somebody died recently and it’s in the news a lot
  2. Lack of assets on the ground in Russia (a lot of news organizations either left or were kicked out)
  3. Lack of verification, combined with a lot of misinformation floating around 

If the US or British governments start talking about it, it’ll be the top headline. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
  1. Somebody died recently and it’s in the news a lot
  2. Lack of assets on the ground in Russia (a lot of news organizations either left or were kicked out)
  3. Lack of verification, combined with a lot of misinformation floating around 

If the US or British governments start talking about it, it’ll be the top headline. 

All makes sense.  Russian state media are really the only folks on the ground over there, and it's in their best interest to keep it quiet unless/until they decide on a direction to spin it, like maybe blaming the West in order to dial up the nationalist rhetoric another notch.

1 hour ago, dimyh said:

Also to note: the sudden withdrawal from Afghanistan last year was also seen as a sign of weakness. Either as simply militarily weakness or, at a minimum, a sign that USA's foreign policy was shifting away from overseas adventures.

Just as we don't understand their willingness to go to war to annex territory, the Russians don't understand why anyone would willingly give up force in an occupied nation.

3BA7B406-22F9-43BC-8FFC-611AE3DB533C.thumb.jpeg.55e034203692be8351b2368423d38fc0.jpeg

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

All makes sense.  Russian state media are really the only folks on the ground over there, and it's in their best interest to keep it quiet unless/until they decide on a direction to spin it, like maybe blaming the West in order to dial up the nationalist rhetoric another notch.

I think these would be among the first to blast it to the world if it even seemed close to being true

https://twitter.com/christogrozev

https://twitter.com/bellingcat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1