Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

FcsXJiJXEAMWpY2?format=png&name=medium

FcsXJ1SXoAAQ7lb?format=png&name=large

Here’s where I plunge in to remind everyone that Prigozhin recruiting for “Wagner” really means “Putin” recruiting for the “Russian Defense Ministry.” Wagner is just a convenient semi-fiction that exists solely so that Russia can do things that are illegal under Russian law, like recruit convicts. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

Here’s where I plunge in to remind everyone that Prigozhin recruiting for “Wagner” really means “Putin” recruiting for the “Russian Defense Ministry.” Wagner is just a convenient semi-fiction that exists solely so that Russia can do things that are illegal under Russian law, like recruit convicts. 

Convicts die too. Don't give a shit. Sent whole prisons worth. Fuck em all.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Paywall.  But the thesis is damned important.  Always be thinking ahead, and in this case, one of the reasonably likely paths ahead is one of massive chaos and upheaval, which presents both incredible danger and incredible opportunity.

Gotta defeat Russia and win this war first.....but it would be stupid not to be gaming for all reasonably possible outcomes over the next few months to several years.

Warsaw Pact and Soviet Union fell apart fairly fast, relatively speaking. 

This quote from earlier could apply:  Dornbusch's Law in action. That law says that the inevitable crisis takes longer to come than you can imagine, but when it does come, it happens faster than you can imagine.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I've been thinking about this a long time.  Could be that the US presidential election threw him off balance, there is the Zeihan stuff, and for it to have worked he probably should have done it in Jan 2021 or the delay to do it after the Olympics threw off the timing. 

Ukraine is larger and has far more people than Iraq did in 2003, and we invaded Iraq in 2003 with a larger force than Russia did, and we did this after 12 or so years that saw Iraq’s military substantially weakened.   Putin thought he could do what we did, but on a smaller scale, and leave more of the infrastructure intact (since Russia wanted to annex Ukraine). And this at the end of nearly 8 years of the West and Ukraine working on Ukraine’s military.

2011 would have been much better demographics-wise and vastly better military-wise?

I’ve been wishy-washy on Zeihan over the past few months because he still believed Russia would win, but the recent Ukrainian streak has him changing his tune.  I really like that he talks about demographics, because a lot of analyst types talk about Russia as just this group of 130 million people or whatever, and they don’t drill down to what that actually means in terms of how many military-aged men that means, and more importantly, how Putin is limited on mobilization, because the pool of military-aged men is also the pool of a lot of prime workers in manufacturing and the Russian economy as a whole, etc.

8 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I've said it before.  I hope he dies from an artillery hit while taking a shit and falls into his own feces.

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

Can we crowd-source some Texans in the Foreign Legion to track him down?  Don’t even have to kill him, just drive him around to all of the areas he thinks Russia still holds.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, ryskey said:

Of course there are websites devoted to the news of bearing manufacturing, and that they’d be analyzing this conflict in terms of the impact on bearing productions.

And of course that out out a magazine on bearings.  I don’t know why I find that awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm sure those Eritrean troops will love the Ukrainian winter. And I'm sure Russia will make sure they have adequate cold weather gear and rations. 

Has a real "Jamaican bobsled" feel to it. Eritrea, we have an infantry fighting team!

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Has a real "Jamaican bobsled" feel to it. Eritrea, we have an infantry fighting team!

Say I'm an Eritrean dude without family connections. I could wash dishes in Paris and make more cash than my town's mayor. But those rubber dinghies sink sometimes. 

If I learn to say "I surrender" in Russian, and hug the ground while the tanks roll by, is that a better deal than a rubber dinghy?

I dunno. I'd be thinking about it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Say I'm an Eritrean dude without family connections. I could wash dishes in Paris and make more cash than my town's mayor. But those rubber dinghies sink sometimes. 

If I learn to say "I surrender" in Russian, and hug the ground while the tanks roll by, is that a better deal than a rubber dinghy?

I dunno. I'd be thinking about it.

It would be pretty tough to throw on civilian clothes and wander off without standing out...

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course there are websites devoted to the news of bearing manufacturing, and that they’d be analyzing this conflict in terms of the impact on bearing productions.
And of course that out out a magazine on bearings.  I don’t know why I find that awesome.

So….I actually knew, worked with, and drank beer with the multi-billionaire owner of the Schaeffler group (German bearing manufacturer featured in that article). None of us knew he was a billionaire back then. He was trying to live a quiet life as an ordinary texas lawyer. True story.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/07/world/europe/biden-will-not-designate-russia-a-state-sponsor-of-terrorism.html
No CR but the Biden admin has said “This designation could have unintended consequences to Ukraine and the world." which makes me think they are concerned about crude and other prices will react if the Russians are truly shut off from the world. 
If the Russians are no longer able to market crude to India and China, we very quickly return to a +$110 price environment on crude oil which doesn't play well into the admins hands with gas prices and heating right before the election in Nov. (Sorry this is probably CR material but that's my take working in the commodities side of the industry)
Fair take, I feel like that should be allowed in this thread.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Given that these shows are approved by Putin, and that he feeds them subjects or things to say, they are always floating a lot of trial balloons.  That makes this one interesting, given that they are leaning harder into it being a full-on war, and using that term, and that they want all power and water infrastructure destroyed.  

A lot of Russians won’t get the underlying currents on those comments about plunging Ukraine into darkness, especially since many Russians want nothing to do with the war and are not watching this show, but it’s a clear sign that they no longer think they can hold much, if any, of Ukraine in the long run, and just want to destroy as much as they can. 

There is a narrative being formed:

1. They can’t hold much, if any, of Ukraine and therefore have to make civilians absolutely miserable
  2. It’s the West’s fault they are losing 
  3. Putin is getting bad advice from somebody.
  4. Putin desperately wants to call it a war, but is unable to do so.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am mighty tempted to say Ukraine should respond by reciprocating and hitting Bolgorad, Kursk, and other Russian cities in range of HIMARS and destroying their infrastructure.  I would rather Ukraine continue to concentrate on the Russian Army until they are all dead or gone from Ukrainian territory.  Again, Russia shows that they are better terrorists than soldiers, and they know it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I am mighty tempted to say Ukraine should respond by reciprocating and hitting Bolgorad, Kursk, and other Russian cities in range of HIMARS and destroying their infrastructure.  I would rather Ukraine continue to concentrate on the Russian Army until they are all dead or gone from Ukrainian territory.  Again, Russia shows that they are better terrorists than soldiers, and they know it.

This is indeed the voice of reason.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Csb

A number of years ago I was overseeing a security assessment of a large bearings manufacturer. On the second day we discovered that their SCM system was accessible from the internet. I notified the customer and they reacted with a 5 alarm fire and fixed the issue immediately.

I told my team that we have never seen that kind of reaction from retail, banks or critical infrastructure organizations. Then followed up with "WTF are they doing with these bearings that they reacted this way.

Tldr

Bearing manufacturing is serious business.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2