Why we lost (or why OU won)

Goredho

5 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Game was tied @Q4. They scored 10. We scored - 2.

I thought punting in their territory twice was a terrible call. 4th and long be damned, we have a shitty punter and netted minimal yards by doing that. We should have gone for it on 4th and 9 down by 3 around their 40. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Game was tied @Q4. They scored 10. We scored - 2.

That reminded me a lot of a basketball game where more-often-than-not when a team gets down big, claws back to get close or take a small lead with a few minutes left winds up losing steam and falling short.

Edited by Goredho

It’s annoying how pedestrian our punt and punt coverage teams are. We don’t get good distance. We punt into the endzone from the opponent’s 40 yard line. We never, ever attempt to block a punt, and we never, ever attempt a fake punt.

I believe Sam was hurt far worse then we know. His constant rotating his throwing arm in circles prior to the snap is confirmation of at the very least soreness. And In the second and third quarter it was almost a tell that we were going to attempt a throw.

Add in the fact that they almost appeared to stay away from any shoulder contact with Sam, like they didn’t want Sam taken out and replaced by Buechele.

OU’s defense looked better then at any time this year. Some may be they are finally settling in on Ruffins scheme. But I believe it had more to do with Sam’s health, and would have to be a question Herman should have been asked.

We should have run the ball on 2nd down and 25 with 2 mins in 2nd qtr and let clock run. We should have gone for it on 4th and 10 at their 40 with 1 minute left before half. The net 20 of field position was meaningless against OU. 

We needed more pressure on the Ewok, force his hand a little more. He picked us apart as it was.

Finally, we should have run the TD play more frequently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I'd also like to add we had a shocking lack of aggression considering the opponent we were going up against. Rushing 3 and trying to cover for 8 seconds is a recipe for disaster. The defensive gameplan was puzzling to say the least. 

it actually worked really well for awhile, we had reverse Orlando today, start out well and make no adjustments when it went to shit

We had zero push on the oline couldn't run because of it and we won't be legit until we no longer have a sun belt level oline.  Man there was a play during the Bama-UGA game that was beautiful and show cased what a good online looks like. The UGA running back got wrapped up by a bama line backer and 4 of the line pushed their running back and bulldozed over the line backer and got another 5-6 yards after contact.

• Like 1

Just got back into Austin. Haven't read Surly at all since the game. My take, for what it is worth, after seeing it live:

1.) We lost the line of scrimmage. We couldn't really establish the run, they pressured Sam a fair amount, we had zero pass rush, and while we defended the run well most of the game, we couldn't stop it when we absolutely needed to on their six minute closeout drive.

2.) We are just a dumb fucking team from the top down. It was telling when they showed the Academic All Conference selections from each B12 team on the jerrytron and we had very, very few contributors on the list. I can't even count the stupid/ sloppy mistakes. How many times did we give ourselves 1st and 15? We were constantly out of position and conceding the edge on OU's predictable bubble screens as if we'd never fucking seen one before. 13 games in and our DBs still have no ball skills and therefore draw flags, and no one on the defense understands angles. Hegar and Boyd, who should be senior leaders, both committed mind-numbingly stupid penalties that really hurt us. That we could just whiff on a corner blitz on our own two is equally stunning. Honestly, I was shocked at how generally unprepared this team looked. Add to that the complete dumbfuckery at the end of the first half and this was a really, really bad game for the coaching staff.

3.) The officiating was putrid. It was clear they wanted one team to win. Yes, it went both ways to an extent - the crew was laughably incompetent. And yes, the majority of our penalties were deserved. OU was clearly playing under a different set of rules, though. They were given free reign to do the things we consistently drew flags for. I criticized the coaching staff above but I don't know what a coach is supposed to tell his guys to keep them motivated and believing when it is pretty obviously not a level playing field. I'm not sure Texas played well enough to win if that is removed but that shit definitely wears on you over the course of a game.

• Like 7

We should have run the ball more with the RBs in general, esp in the first half. This offense has gotten a lot better. over the course of this season, developing a nasty, more physical streak and running the ball better as the season has progressed. But then today we went away from that, got less physical right when we should have been being as physical as possible, didn't control the ball enough, and thus left our D and OU's offense on the field far too long.

It seems like most corches these days have just completely fucking lost sight of the concept that clock management isn't something you only do at the end of the halves. You should be doing it the entire game.

Totally agree re: the lack of a pass rush and just beating our heads against the wall trying the same shit over and over and just getting beat that way all fucking day. If you don't get some kind of pressure on any qb in the Big 12, they're usually going to find ways to beat you. We shoulda been trying different blitzes here and there, at least. Of course there's a risk in that, btu the shit we were rolling out there on D just wasn't working.

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

My bullshit-ass analysis that no one gives a shit about (in no particular order)...

* We kept pegging ourselves with penalties.  13 penalties for128 yards is not championship football.

* Ehlinger was hurt and could not be the same dual-threat weapon he was in game 1.

* Their midget played like a giant.  KM had some huge plays at critical times plus no turnovers like in game 1.

* Related to the previous point, our pass rush sucked ass.  Unless we blitzed, opening up coverage holes downfield, KM had all day to play 7 on 7 football.  Their OL played well, our DL played poorly or both.

* They made some smart defensive adjustments. The 3 backers coupled with Sam’s injury made our running game a non-factor and our offense one dimensional.  Sure CJ hada monster game, but they limited our O enough to win, so who cares?  The blitz for the safety was thing of beauty — a great call at a key moment that killed our chance to come back.

* Several of our key players played below their standard, didn’t show up or were otherwise nullified.  Lil’Jordan, KrisBoyd, Omenihu and Hager being the most noticeable.  Well, Hager probably just kinda sucks...

* OU seized the moment in their two offensive drives at the end of the first half and start of the second.  They flipped the game, put us in a two-score hole and made it to where we would be playing their kind of fast-break game the rest of the way.

The officiating wasn’t great, but complaining about calls is a loser’s security blanket.  Bottom line, the better team won today.

BS, after your "OU siezed the moment" we were tied going into the 4th and rightfully should have been in the lead.  they don't miss that blatant PI call against LJH because they were scared bitch refs we score a TD and this game is totally different.  I refuse to give those cocksuckers any credit.  give me one questionable  call or non call made by the refs that hurt them. you can't.  the refs gave them that game.  They suck and Bama will drill them unless the committee does what the committee does and puts them at 3.

Fuck those fuckheads and fuck Bob Bowlsby.  this is bullshit.  we lost because a fucking back judge swallowed his whistle because he is a pussy and didn't want to call 2 PI's on OU on a 3rd down on the same drive. fuck him and his small town bullshit.  No holding on OU but of course they see one on our TD kick return. fuck them again.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

They were allowed to mug our receivers and their OL is allowed to hold every play. We didn't play well but, fuck, that's a hard uphill road. 

How often did we hear Omenihu's name called?

There's an obvious reason for that.

• Like 2

The game was lost when Colin Johnson got the PI after the start of a promising drive and the 2nd and 25 meant instead of going up 21-6, we were looking at 14-13 with OU getting ball to start the half and looking unstoppable.

That was a bullshit call too. On ous last td, the wr was holding Foster off of him as soon as he made his break.

16 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The game was lost when Colin Johnson got the PI after the start of a promising drive and the 2nd and 25 meant instead of going up 21-6, we were looking at 14-13 with OU getting ball to start the half and looking unstoppable.

Lot of truth here, and yeah, that was a total bullshit call.

8 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That was a bullshit call too. On ous last td, the wr was holding Foster off of him as soon as he made his break.

Yeah that same shit happens on every fucking pass pattern these days & rarely gets called.

OU made better adjustments from the first game to yesterday’s game. They targeted a specific area and they showed improvement. The simple fact we scored half as much shows that. Though I also believe Sam was playing hurt. Which contributed to the scoring total.

I also will never believe that they have a talent edge. But I do believe, at least as of now, that they have a game day coaching advantage. I’m sorry if some don’t see it, but Herman gets pretty tight in the shorts when the pressure of the game ratchets up. He needs to take a couple of Xanax to settle down before kick off. And is a credit to Sam who seems to not let his head coach’s fear filter over to his play.

Position by position they’re players are generally just better than ours. The same for the coaches too. We’re a pretty good team. We deserve to be ranked right where we are. A 10-20ish ranked team should be able to play up and beat anyone or play down and lose to anyone. That’s us. The shitbags from up north are just better than that. 

On the penalties and mistakes front, I think we have to consider the possibility of players being tight or in their heads or whatever because of the moment. I think it matters that not one of these guys had ever played for any kind of title at the college level. OU at the Cotton Bowl is another big stage with high pressure, but we always have lots of guys on the roster who have experienced that game multiple times before. OU obviously hasn't played in a CCG lately, but they've absolutely played in games with the title on the line.

3 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

On the penalties and mistakes front, I think we have to consider the possibility of players being tight or in their heads or whatever because of the moment. I think it matters that not one of these guys had ever played for any kind of title at the college level. OU at the Cotton Bowl is another big stage with high pressure, but we always have lots of guys on the roster who have experienced that game multiple times before. OU obviously hasn't played in a CCG lately, but they've absolutely played in games with the title on the line.

OU played TCU in the Big12 CCG last year right?

Edited by NowThis

Our complaints about the refs ought to relate to the calls they should have made against the reddirtshitheads, not those against us; we pretty much earned our penalties. The false starts and delay of game are stupid, but verifiable. The PI's looked legit, too. The 3rd down missed PI on LJH was inexcusable. They missed some other obvious calls, as well. To me, it looks like there were legitimate infractions by both teams. They called most of ours and only about half of theirs. I'm not prepared to flat-out say that they were crooked to the level of the Oklahoma State game a couple of years ago, but the league sure does need to look into this.