Todd Orlando should love the Georgia Matchup

sushihorn

Aggies are great.  Most delusional fricks you could ever hope to meet.  Wtf is up with those male yell leaders, I mean come on, I’ve seen straighter things at a San Francisco parade.

What the fuck is a frick? Fuck off peanut aggy.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, elnimo said:

My biggest concern facing Georgia is that our O Line can’t block for shit. If they don’t man up in the next several weeks, Sam is going to get pancaked.  The O Line needs to own that shit. 

We should be working screens half of practice. I feel like we haven't run many screens this year and its the perfect time to break them out. 

We should be working screens half of practice. I feel like we haven't run many screens this year and its the perfect time to break them out. 

I’m trying to recall even a handful of well executed screens in the 40 years I’ve been watching Texas football. It’s like it’s in the school charter not to run them or something.

Oklahoma's defensive gameplan was to keep the box strong against the inside run, bracket LJH, and live with the consequences. Georgia probably won't stray far from this approach, and they have a corner (Baker) who's good enough to take on Collin Johnson on an island which really helps them elsewhere.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, satyanash said:

1) Jimmys and Joes > X's and O's at the CFB level. Georgia is deeper and more talented than us at nearly every position. If Alabama's defense is struggling to contain D'Andre Swift, I can guarantee you that we will too regardless of scheme.

2) Fromm is one of the best QBs in CFB against the blitz. It doesn't really matter that he's not so mobile, we try our usual delayed blitzes and he'll pick us apart. And like Murray he'll have eons of time to throw the ball.

Swift went 16/75 and Holyfield went 14/60

let's not act like it was a HUGE struggle here...

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Oklahoma's defensive gameplan was to keep the box strong against the inside run, bracket LJH, and live with the consequences. Georgia probably won't stray far from this approach, and they have a corner (Baker) who's good enough to take on Collin Johnson on an island which really helps them elsewhere.

As has been pointed out, Sam didn't even look at several wide open receivers over the middle of the field.  Duvernay has more than enough speed to hurt any defense who treats him as the third option.  The real issue is going to be whether Hand can shore up the protection in the middle of the line, because OU got us with stunts and blitzes up the middle throughout the game, even though the corner blitz is the one that stands out.  If he gets protection I have no doubt there will be guys open.

If Georgia is content on keeping six in the box and rushing four, we are going to have to manufacture a running game by any means necessary.

If they are reluctant to blitz we will need to have them drop 7 into the box, which will force one on ones, and use our big bodies to win in the play action game.

If we cannot piece together a running game our offense will not hold up against their D.

I still feel good enough about our D and the ability to force negative plays. Those will kill drives against Georgia, as opposed to the OUs/WVUs of the world. Plus they will go conservative Kent house situations, as is the nature of the SEC and their coaches.

I agree that our defense will likely match up better with Georgia than some of the high octane offenses we've had to defend this year.  But Georgia is still very good and will score points. They average almost 10 pts per game more than we do, and we play in a conference where defense is generally terrible.  

I think the bigger matchup question is whether Herman and Beck should love playing Georgia.  I am not terribly gruntled at the prospect.  We've scored 24, 24, and 27 points in our last 3 games, the last two of which were against pretty terrible defenses. Unless we significantly improve our rushing (which seems unlikely given our oline and lack of imagination in the run game), I'm not sure we score more than 17-20 points on them.  That just doesn't seem like enough to cut it.  Would love to be wrong.  

On 12/3/2018 at 12:52 AM, sushihorn said:

1) He tends to do really bad things to pro style offenses.  See USC and ISU this year and last as well as Louisville in 2016 when he was at UH.

2) His LBs play much better when they can key the RB and attack instead of worrying about coverage every play against spread teams.

3) PJ Locke is a much better player close to the LOS.

4) Orlando's blitzes are more effective when the QB can't buy time with his feet to diagnose disguised coverages and when the pass rushers aren't worried about a running QB breaking contain.  Fromm is the definition of statuesque, with negative 22 rushing yards.

5) UGa is a run heavy offense (63%).  Focus on stopping the run can make them one dimensional.  Making them one dimensional is halfway to making them zero dimensional since their high pass efficiency rating is a function of being able to throw the ball when THEY want to off play action.

6) He likes to play run on early downs and Georgia likes to force the run on early downs.  Orlando's defense is especially effective when they can play single-gap responsibility against the run and that combo should allow them to do so frequently.

buying up

giphy.gif

Sam has been injured which has not allowed him to run as much the past few weeks. If his shoulder is fine and we feel comfortable running him the run game becomes much better. Biggest x-factor of the game will be Duvernay. If Sam can hit him early LJH and CJ will be open the rest of the night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Baker is projected to be a top 20 pick in most mock drafts. I think he skips the game to prep for the combine. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

The OL aren't great run blockers but they're solid in pass protection and UGa has a surprisingly poor pass rush.

This is funny when I read it every week.

Texas is #1 in your conference with 15 sacks since November 1.

UGA is the youngest team in the SEC (#1 recruiting class in 2018 and #3 class in 2017).  We have 13 sacks since November 1.

Everyone ignores our pass rush.  And then their QB gets hit, rushed, and has his worst game of the season.

You can believe what you want to about our pass rush.  We are Uber talented.  And we are finding pressure with a 4 man rush (even if we don't get the sack).

4 minutes ago, meansonny said:

UGA is the youngest team in the SEC (#1 recruiting class in 2018 and #3 class in 2017).  We have 13 sacks since November 1.

You should have just written that UGa has 10 sacks against one dimensional and totally out-manned teams.  Two against Bama looks decent until you realize that Tua couldn't run.

Another way to look at it is Georgia has zero sacks against actual mobile QBs that could pass.

We usually play pretty straight up with the safeties.

I can't think of a time all year where we bracketed anyone.

We are extremely strong at both corner spots. Issues mostly relate to our nickel and money DB. They get picked on (Bama attacked us over the middle).  Rarely issues with our safeties.

We have a rotation of linebackers.  The ones who are good in pass coverage are not great against the run (or great at tackling a mobile QB despite the speed).  The ILBs who are great against the run and spying QBs are not great against the pass.

12 minutes ago, meansonny said:

We have a rotation of linebackers.  The ones who are good in pass coverage are not great against the run (or great at tackling a mobile QB despite the speed).  The ILBs who are great against the run and spying QBs are not great against the pass.

So, RPO out of tempo/HUNH is an issue, yes?

Just reviewing Huck's summary over at Adjusted Stats, looking for glimmers of hope, and I realized that as impressive as Georgia's overall numbers are, they have absolutely atrocious red zone defense. It's hard to understand, really, not having watched all their games, but it looks like they are great at stopping folk between the 20's, but turn into matadors down in the area where Sam makes his hay as a runner.

They aren't so hot on 4th downs, either.

The trick, of course, will be getting there. Would be awfully nice to have Dicko back, because it sounds like the real fight will be over field position, and on that score, Texas is bringing a knife to a gunfight.

15 minutes ago, meansonny said:

The ones who are good in pass coverage are not great against the run (or great at tackling a mobile QB despite the speed).  

These are the ones we will force into the game, based on formation, personnel, or just scheme, by throwing the ball.  Then we will utilize or running concepts out of the same personnel packages. As Snacks sad above, HUNH and RPO you to death.

We usually play pretty straight up with the safeties.  I can't think of a time all year where we bracketed anyone. We are extremely strong at both corner spots. Issues mostly relate to our nickel and money DB. They get picked on (Bama attacked us over the middle).  Rarely issues with our safeties.

If this how you play then you will get moss'ed up and down the sideline, quality corners or not. 6'5 and 6'4 receivers that have made their season winning 50/50 balls will have their way, or you guys will get called for PI all the way down the field.  In reality, you guys do bracket, because you are usually in a two high look, and I guaranty you safeties will have their eyes on CJ and LJH from the snap.

We will have to hit plays over the middle in order to force single high looks, so that CJ and LHJ can beat you on the outside... and they will win.

Edited by Fico

Just now, wood said:

#1 in the conference or not, our pass rush is, uh, not exactly scary. Not sure I'd be bragging about a pass rush that's almost as good as ours.

It is saying something because neither team really opts to dial up pressure often.  We play complex zones and give pressure time to develop.  They play Man2 and test their matchups. 

This really is a weird matchup.  There aren't many corollaries to form from the regular season.

3 hours ago, wood said:

#1 in the conference or not, our pass rush is, uh, not exactly scary. Not sure I'd be bragging about a pass rush that's almost as good as ours.

For a conf that throws the ball a bunch, Big XII teams are very good at pass pro.  Conversely the SEC is terrible when you consider how many fewer pass plays are run there.

OU: 16 sacks on 386 pass attempts (4.1% sack ratio).  WVU: 24 sacks on 407 attempts (5.9%).  Texas Tech: 25 sacks on 535 passes (4.7%), OK State: 33 sacks on 448 passes (7.1%)

UK: 24 sacks, 281 att (8.5%).  Auburn: 23 sacks, 359 att (6.4%).  Tenn: 23 sacks, 297 att (7.8%), LSU: 33 sacks, 353 att (9.3%). Bama: 13 sacks, 374 att (3.5%)

Basically if you put an SEC team in the hole and force them to pass, bad things happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Scheme-wise it's not a bad matchup. Personnel-wise the Texas defense is going to have to play their best game of the season, and even that might not be enough at the point of attack.

3-4 long drives are about what I expect.  That's OK as long as the Texas Offense does its part.

4 hours ago, sushihorn said:

You should have just written that UGa has 10 sacks against one dimensional and totally out-manned teams.  Two against Bama looks decent until you realize that Tua couldn't run.

Another way to look at it is Georgia has zero sacks against actual mobile QBs that could pass.

I should probably apologize to you because our competition obviously isn't up to your standards.

I'm sure your QB excels in a clean pocket and clear throwing lanes.  Our talent hasn't seen a true dual threat in their lives, and they will probably shake your QBs hand for sharing the field with them for 60 minutes. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Fico said:

If this how you play then you will get moss'ed up and down the sideline, quality corners or not. 6'5 and 6'4 receivers that have made their season winning 50/50 balls will have their way, or you guys will get called for PI all the way down the field

Good luck with that.  You can try to force throws at 2 future NFL cover corners.  Or you can attack the soft spots (maybe move guys around).  It is your gameplan.  Go for it.

3 hours ago, Fico said:

In reality, you guys do bracket, because you are usually in a two high look, and I guaranty you safeties will have their eyes on CJ and LJH from the snap.

We play straight up.  If the route dictates the safeties over there, then they will provide support.  But they aren't going to cheat to help.  As I said... we are not bracketing one receiver to take him awau. 

Also, we will change the looks. We try to disguise coverages to slow the decision making process down for the QB.

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

So, RPO out of tempo/HUNH is an issue, yes?

I havent seen it as an issue because no one was effective at it (hurry up).

If we try to take away the pass, teams have found success on the ground.  I can't say what is an RPO in these situations.  But these teams struggle to drive the length of the field.  Especially with the emergence of our NT misses on

If we try to take away the run, Kentucky had success throwing the ball.

Keep in mind what the word "success" means.  They did better than their average.  But these games were never contested.  We had backups in the third and fourth quarters for most of them.

25 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

For a conf that throws the ball a bunch, Big XII teams are very good at pass pro.  Conversely the SEC is terrible when you consider how many fewer pass plays are run there.

OU: 16 sacks on 386 pass attempts (4.1% sack ratio).  WVU: 24 sacks on 407 attempts (5.9%).  Texas Tech: 25 sacks on 535 passes (4.7%), OK State: 33 sacks on 448 passes (7.1%)

UK: 24 sacks, 281 att (8.5%).  Auburn: 23 sacks, 359 att (6.4%).  Tenn: 23 sacks, 297 att (7.8%), LSU: 33 sacks, 353 att (9.3%). Bama: 13 sacks, 374 att (3.5%)

Basically if you put an SEC team in the hole and force them to pass, bad things happen.

Good point. How are UGa's numbers?

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

18 sacks on 322 attempts or 5.6%.  I will point out that, like Bama they haven't been behind much and haven't been in many situations where they had to throw.

We've got a good O Line and O Line coach.  We actually played our 4th string RG in the SECCG.  And he did well against Quinnen Williams.

Hopefully by the bowl game, we will be back to full strength and most of our depth.

29 minutes ago, meansonny said:

I should probably apologize to you because our competition obviously isn't up to your standards.

I'm sure your QB excels in a clean pocket and clear throwing lanes.  Our talent hasn't seen a true dual threat in their lives, and they will probably shake your QBs hand for sharing the field with them for 60 minutes. 

Look, the people on here trying to make our offense into some juggernaut the likes of which UGA has never seen are grasping at straws. The bottom line is that we have a good QB and skill players, better than anyone you've played outside Bama, but the OL/DL isn't there yet. Keep our run game under control with six in the box, which you should be able to do given the advantage you have in the trenches, and you'll get more than enough stops to win as long as you don't start hemorrhaging turnovers. But it is pretty funny that you would come to a Texas board and try to sarcastically dismiss the strength/talent that exists on the roster of a top 15 team given that your posts all have this kind of tone:

4 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Keep in mind that I am comparing our current ILBs to the Butkus Award winner last season.

We get it. UGA is talented and has put a couple of good recruiting classes together. Since you're so informed on that front you are probably aware that our recruiting hasn't been too bad over the past four years either, though I'll readily concede that there's been a good bit of attrition. Even then, I don't have the rankings in front of me but I would imagine Texas grades out as one of the more talented rosters UGA has faced over the past few years from that standpoint. This group has seen plenty of teams with elite talent over it's time - OU yearly, USC, Notre Dame, etc. - and won their fair share of those. UGA is obviously really good but that isn't necessarily new to this group. So, just as it's silly to expect Georgia fans to be scared of Texas, it's pretty silly for you to com in here telling everyone how great your roster is like we've never seen anything like it before.

• Like 6