Possibly unfortunate DC timing

texasdago

The Memorials shouldn't  close
Walk the National Mall - Washington Monument -> Jefferson Memorial -> FDR Memorial -> MLK Memorial -> Korean War Memorial -> Lincoln Memorial -> Vietnam Vets Memorial -> WWII Memorial -> Washington Monument

Uber to US Marine Corp Memorial, then hike to Arlington Cemetery (Tomb of the Unkown Soldier)

Wear good hiking shoes & a coat (it might be cold out)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

The Memorials shouldn't  close
Walk the National Mall - Washington Monument -> Jefferson Memorial -> FDR Memorial -> MLK Memorial -> Korean War Memorial -> Lincoln Memorial -> Vietnam Vets Memorial -> WWII Memorial -> Washington Monument

Uber to US Marine Corp Memorial, then hike to Arlington Cemetery (Tomb of the Unkown Soldier)

Wear good hiking shoes & a coat (it might be cold out)

Your order is all wrong. Metro to Union Station--> Supreme Court, Capitol, National Mall (Don't miss the outdoor sculpture gardens), WWII Memorial, Vietnam Wall, Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, MLK Memorial, FDR Memorial, (one more here whose name I can't remember- very small and hidden, its just a statue sitting on a bench along the walk, kind of hidden easy to miss)Jefferson Memorial, Uber.

That's at least a couple of miles.

Marine Corp Memorial and Arlington Cemetery- check.

Also, if its open, there are great views from the roof of the Kennedy Center. You can buy booze inside and sit up there, if its not unpleasantly windy.

• Like 2

You can buy weed in the DC metro area from private sellers... so there's that...  

Newseum is a solid choice, liked the spy museum, the displays aren't any where as cool as the spy craft shit you'll read while there.  

Marine Corps museum in Qunatico.  Take a pack of Kleenex, and a dust buster if you go.

Oh yeah, Newseum of however its spelled I've heard is good. Spy museum for sure on the list.  Not ready to fully expose the kids to the Holocaust but they need to learn... maybe not quite in too much detail.

Also heard Georgetown has a bunch of light displays at night so we'll check those out one night. 

Planning to hit up Old Ebbit Grill one night and Succotash another (looks really nice).  Probably catch drinks at the Willard.

If I was reliving my younger time in DC, I'd go get lit at The Tombs or The Tune Inn but that's probably out.

8 hours ago, texasdago said:

Oh yeah, Newseum of however its spelled I've heard is good. Spy museum for sure on the list.  Not ready to fully expose the kids to the Holocaust but they need to learn... maybe not quite in too much detail.

Also heard Georgetown has a bunch of light displays at night so we'll check those out one night. 

Planning to hit up Old Ebbit Grill one night and Succotash another (looks really nice).  Probably catch drinks at the Willard.

If I was reliving my younger time in DC, I'd go get lit at The Tombs or The Tune Inn but that's probably out.

We were in DC for Thanksgiving week.  You’ll really enjoy the Newseum. The gallery of Pulitzer-winning photos is stunning, and I liked the exhibit on the Tet Offensive. The Spy museum was also pretty cool. A lot of history there, and ends with a cool Bond exhibit.

We ate at the Old Ebbit Grill. I guess you should go to say you went, but I thought it was just meh, and it felt like a tourist trap. And that was on a Monday night. If you’re able to get a table at Fiola Mare, I highly recommend it.  One of the best seafood meals I’ve had in a long time.  If you like Spanish-style tapas, Jaleo is also really good.

6 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

OE Grill is definitely a tourist trap. If you want to go someplace that's cool and has a lot of history, eat lunch at the Monocle when you're walking near the Capitol.

Sure, it is a bit of a tourist trap.  But it's also an old standard, with damned good oysters.

Every time I go there, I bump into someone I know - a judge, a congressman, etc.  It's a decent "see and be seen" place if you're in DC on business.  Not the best, but not worthless.  And again, I can have 3 dozen good oysters and whisky for dinner.

OE is fine if you can squeeze into the gun bar, but if you wait in the cattle call for dinner it's just not worth it. The oysters are pretty good, though, so I will give you that. I actually prefer to go there late at night if I go. 

Oh and I will keep on pimping my favorite restaurant in DC: Cafe Mozart.