Las Vegas go hard or go home thread

bigup2dahorns

I played Cascata last fall with my buddies. 4 of us went up a day early to do it. Several of them are avid golfers and loved it. I thought the scenery was nice and having a caddy with us was interesting. The course was super hard and not in a fun way for a shitty golfer. I normally don't mind a really difficult course but, damn, it drug on kind of brutally by the end. Nonetheless, I'm going out there early again this fall to do it another time. 

I’m trying to figure out dinner for a Friday night during Memorial Day weekend. It’s my bday dinner just me and the gf. I’m thinking steak and seafood. I’ve thought of maybe getting a reservation at Catch or SW Steakhouse.

any other recs? 

edit to add that budget isn’t really an issue as I don’t mind spending money on great food/service.

Edited by CowboyFred

30 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

I’m trying to figure out dinner for a Friday night during Memorial Day weekend. It’s my bday dinner just me and the gf. I’m thinking steak and seafood. I’ve thought of maybe getting a reservation at Catch or SW Steakhouse.

any other recs? 

edit to add that budget isn’t really an issue as I don’t mind spending money on great food/service.

Since you mentioned SW, we went to Lakeside (they are next to each other) in January and it was excellent. You can try and score a table out by the water show and it would be great birthday dinner. 

We only had seafood but they have steaks on the menu and as good as they made the rest of the food I am sure that would be good. 

Edited by hornbri
  • Hook 'Em 1

Similar idea as above, on my most recent trip we ate at Spago at the Bellagio and you can try to get a table outside with a view of the water show. It’s not a steakhouse but I had a Wagyu ribeye and the yellowtail sashimi appetizer, both were excellent. Also recommend the chocolate soufflé. Would be a nice option for a special dinner. Somehow we were seated next to one of the Maloof brothers who was cursing up a storm on his phone about his limo driver? It was sorta funny and all the waiters acted quite excited to see him.

• Hook 'Em 1

U2 info:

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - Dates and ticketing information was announced Monday for U2′s highly-anticipated series of shows at the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas.

According to Live Nation, the following dates have been announced:

Friday, Sept. 29

Saturday, Sept. 30

Thursday, Oct. 5

Saturday, Oct. 7

Sunday, Oct. 8

Tickets start at $140 and will reflect all-in pricing, according to Live Nation. This means the ticket price listed is the full out-of-pocket price inclusive of taxes and fees.

“The larger capacity at Sphere allows for 60% of tickets to be priced under $300 and there will also be a limited number of premium priced tickets per show,” Live Nation said.

Live Nation also notes that, “in an effort to help minimize resale and keep ticket prices at face value for fans, GA floor tickets for U2:UV Achtung Baby Live At Sphere will be restricted from transfer. They may only be resold at the original purchase price.”

https://www.fox5vegas.com/2023/04/24/dates-ticket-info-announced-u2-msg-sphere-las-vegas/

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI, LAS is going to be a shit show for a few weeks. One of the runways is shut down for maintenance. A friend’s flight today was delayed 8 hours. Mine was delayed 3.5 until a sista hooked my ass up and now I’m only delayed 1 hour. Saw lots of sad faces cancel their trips to LAS here at OAK.

• Like 1

We got taken to the airport by a driver from Cosmo and were talking about the race with him.  He said Cosmo is shutting down their main entrance.  He was convinced it's going to be a shitshow in that whole area with the strip shutdown.  He said the only other thing comparable traffic wise is EDC and that doesn't fuck with the strip. We tried NoMad at Park MGM.  It was really good, would go back.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 5:09 AM, bigup2dahorns said:

New Jose Andres spot coming to Forum Shops at Caesars. Called Zaytinya. Locations in NYC and DC.

an innovative mezze menu inspired by Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisines, built on Jose Andres’ deep knowledge of Mediterranean cooking and years of research and travel.

One of our favorite chefs. He had a Zaytinya location in Frisco near the Star in dallas, but it closed after 2 years because people in Frisco are more of the starbucks/applebees crowd. It was excellent btw

• Like 1

One of our favorite chefs. He had a Zaytinya location in Frisco near the Star in dallas, but it closed after 2 years because people in Frisco are more of the starbucks/applebees crowd. It was excellent btw

Been to the Zaytinya in DC while there for work. Can confirm. Really good food. Great cocktails as well.

Just FYI, LAS is going to be a shit show for a few weeks. One of the runways is shut down for maintenance. A friend’s flight today was delayed 8 hours. Mine was delayed 3.5 until a sista hooked my ass up and now I’m only delayed 1 hour. Saw lots of sad faces cancel their trips to LAS here at OAK.

Well fuck. I head out tonight until Friday morning.

You will see a lot of my coworkers.

Crossroads Kitchen is one of the best restaurants I’ve ever visited full stop. If no one told you it was vegan you might not know. Calamari, meatballs, and skirt steak (all vegan) were excellent.

Skirt steak is made of eggplant. No “impossible” brand stuff, they do it all themselves. It was a total knockout.

4a1c5cb1842fe6293935cfcde02500e6.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

You will see a lot of my coworkers.

Crossroads Kitchen is one of the best restaurants I’ve ever visited full stop. If no one told you it was vegan you might not know. Calamari, meatballs, and skirt steak (all vegan) were excellent.

Skirt steak is made of eggplant. No “impossible” brand stuff, they do it all themselves. It was a total knockout.

4a1c5cb1842fe6293935cfcde02500e6.jpg

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

Any idea when the A's will start playing in Vegas?  I saw they reached an agreement on the land for the stadium.

Still seems a long ways off but no dates given yet. They have to pass some funding bill and then construction wouldn’t begin for 1-2 years and then take a few years. Maybe 2027?
Thinking really hard about going on Halloween. Fucking airfare is the killer. I'd really rather roadtrip it, but don't have the PTO to do it.

I’ve been for just about every occasion and Halloween is near the top as the most fun in Vegas.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Heading with a buddy for a quick 24 hour trip to for Stars/Knights game 2 on Sunday.  We're flying out late Saturday afternoon and back Sun night.   I go to Vegas relatively frequently but buddy hasn't been in a while.  I'm trying to think of a place with a good Vegas vibe/scene for Sat night dinner (think STK but not STK as maybe not steak restaurant since we have plenty of those in Dallas). Any thoughts?  I booked Sushi Roku as a placeholder as I had a good meal there probably 8+ years ago, but that was 8+ years ago so not sure how it is now.

Also, have not been to the arena.  Any advice?  It's a Noon local time start so have a 10:15AM at Beer Park since that is relatively close by but open to suggestions.   Also, for anyone that has been to arena, advice welcome on seating locations to avoid, etc. (based on pics online seems like a really well designed arena where no seats are really shitty).  Where we end up probably largely depends on how much tickets fluctuate.  Hoping shitty local game time results in a softer ticket market than it otherwise would be.  

Heading with a buddy for a quick 24 hour trip to for Stars/Knights game 2 on Sunday.  We're flying out late Saturday afternoon and back Sun night.   I go to Vegas relatively frequently but buddy hasn't been in a while.  I'm trying to think of a place with a good Vegas vibe/scene for Sat night dinner (think STK but not STK as maybe not steak restaurant since we have plenty of those in Dallas). Any thoughts?  I booked Sushi Roku as a placeholder as I had a good meal there probably 8+ years ago, but that was 8+ years ago so not sure how it is now.
Also, have not been to the arena.  Any advice?  It's a Noon local time start so have a 10:15AM at Beer Park since that is relatively close by but open to suggestions.   Also, for anyone that has been to arena, advice welcome on seating locations to avoid, etc. (based on pics online seems like a really well designed arena where no seats are really shitty).  Where we end up probably largely depends on how much tickets fluctuate.  Hoping shitty local game time results in a softer ticket market than it otherwise would be.  

For a restaurant recommendation I always suggest Beauty and Essex at Cosmo.

Also, if you are going to the arena from Beer Park, you could always walk across the strip to Cosmo, up the the second floor and over to Crystal Shops, and hop on the tram to Park MGM then cross the street to the arena.

That’s how I go every time, and I always stay at Cosmo. It is a decent amount of walking, but you are indoors in the AC for most of it. And for me, it adds to the excitement and anticipation to travel over there in a herd of fans.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I just did Spago at Bellagio on a Friday night and the food was great and has a decent scene but obviously toned down from STK. Would recommend if the menu suits you.

Check out Sushisamba also. Had a great dinner there and it had a good scene going.
Can’t go wrong w Beauty and Essex

On 5/16/2023 at 8:57 PM, Skipper said:

I will second the Beauty and Essex recommendation.