2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

^

Eighteen days into the standoff over his $5.7 billion wall-fence-barrier, Donald Trump is rolling out his heaviest weapons: a prime-time Oval Office address tonight and a visit to the Mexican border later this week. It’s the president’s personal Alamo. Inside the West Wing, Trump has told aides he’s prepared to stake his presidency on making a last stand. “He has convinced himself he can’t win re-election in 2020 unless he gets a lot of the wall built. It’s fundamental to his id,” a former West Wing official said. “The problem is, the Democrats know that.”

Edited by retread

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Democrats should counter with Medicare for all, Warren anti-corruption legislation, net-neutrality, legalization of marijuana, Trump’s tax returns, protection for Mueller investigation, and a pony in exchange for $25B wall.

Trump could literally offer to resign in exchange for wall funding and they shouldn't do it. At some point, the Dems have to start accurately describing the GOP tactics, which amount to terrorism. They've refused to call it what it is, and the media has refused to cover it as what it is, until Trump came along and made it too obvious to ignore. If the lesson the GOP takes from this experience is anything other than "holy fuck we have to never try that shit again" then the Dems will have fucked up.

• Like 4

Democrats should counter with Medicare for all, Warren anti-corruption legislation, net-neutrality, legalization of marijuana, Trump’s tax returns, protection for Mueller investigation, and a pony in exchange for $25B wall.

I'd settle for the pony tbh

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Trump could literally offer to resign in exchange for wall funding and they shouldn't do it. At some point, the Dems have to start accurately describing the GOP tactics, which amount to terrorism. They've refused to call it what it is, and the media has refused to cover it as what it is, until Trump came along and made it too obvious to ignore. If the lesson the GOP takes from this experience is anything other than "holy fuck we have to never try that shit again" then the Dems will have fucked up.

Agree with this. The majority of the American public has been on the side of Democrats for nearly 30 years now. They are just too soft to do anything with it which in turn has their voters staying home more often. Taking the House in a generational midterm surge and then taking their foot off the gas instead of continuing the offensive would be the most Democrat move possible, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I probably will now that he has my email address.

Try im_not_giving_you_my_email@gmail.com

I also altered your script:

As a lifelong Texas resident and frequent voter, I urge you to force a vote on the previously approved Senate resolution to reopen the Federal government which was approved by the U.S. House of Representatives last week (or a similar bill if they are not identical).

Hundreds of thousands of Americans are being harmed by the current shutdown, and important services are not being performed.  There is no need for these services to go undone and workers to lose pay in order to address the President's demand for border wall funding. 

This is a manufactured crisis and a political theater of the absurd at its worst. Your choice of (in)action on this issue will be remembered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know we laugh and see all this as horseshit but the GOP is going all out active measures here which is really scary.  They are using every trick in the book on their most potent political issue (immigration) to protect this treasonous piece of shit and hurt a million of Americans. 

But haha because we all think they’re going to fall on their faces...

Don’t be so sure. The democrats aren’t built to fight this way.  They think the Republicans will just self destruct and they’ve been wrong every time going back to the 2016 election.

The democrats need to grab the microphones and cameras with both hands and attack McConnell for not taking a vote NOW.

This!!!!!! Go fucking apeshit on that fucking asshole now!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

60 senators need to vote yes, correct? Let’s stop with fantasy. There’s no play here other than to let Trump fuck everything to the ground. Senate Rs will cave. Then it’s over. There’s already a veto proof majority for a clean funding bill 

54 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Try im_not_giving_you_my_email@gmail.com

I also altered your script:

As a lifelong Texas resident and frequent voter, I urge you to force a vote on the previously approved Senate resolution to reopen the Federal government which was approved by the U.S. House of Representatives last week (or a similar bill if they are not identical).

Hundreds of thousands of Americans are being harmed by the current shutdown, and important services are not being performed.  There is no need for these services to go undone and workers to lose pay in order to address the President's demand for border wall funding. 

This is a manufactured crisis and a political theater of the absurd at its worst. Your choice of (in)action on this issue will be remembered.

Too many words.

Try this:

"Hey John, if you're trying to secure a place in the Dickless and Nutless Hall of Fame, you can quit trying -- you're a shoe-in.  Now that you've got that covered, how about you fucking govern?"

• Like 1

Interesting article in NYT. Graphics that I can't post here make it clear that the states with the highest percentage of workers affected by the shutdown have at least 1 R senator.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/01/09/us/government-shutdown-state-by-state.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

I don’t think we going to see either side moving until govt workers start to call in sick in more numbers.   If not refuse to work on principle.    That would be a true shutdown where citizens start to feel the pain.

and while I agree trump will most likely declare a national emergency, I don’t think that does anything to the shutdown.  Dems can still have a view that the wall and national emergency has to stop.   McConnell will say that it’s ridiculous that Schumer won’t agree now that the wall is moot but everything is always on the table.

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump currently holds all the power in this situation.  

It will remain that way until someone takes it away from him. 

If he did, he wouldn’t be backed into a corner without any positive political outcome.   The Dems aren’t gonna let him have the wall, and Limbaugh and Coulter will say mean things if he gives in   

Last night he was retweeting right-wing loonies who sell Jim Bakker-style buckets of survivalist slop.  

Those are not the actions of a man who feels in control of things.  

The wall is feeling more and more like something he latched onto in order to distract himself (and his base) from Mueller and the looming losses in 2020. 

And we aren’t too far out from delayed tax refunds and air travel grinding to a halt, not to mention huge impacts on agriculture (delayed or non-existent loans and subsidies, etc.). 

These mean nothing to Trump, but they do to his base.  They aren’t gonna blame the Dems if Trump is openly and angrily taking credit   

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

And we aren’t too far out from delayed tax refunds and air travel grinding to a halt, not to mention huge impacts on agriculture (delayed or non-existent loans and subsidies, etc.). 

These mean nothing to Trump, but they do to his base.  They aren’t gonna blame the Dems if Trump is openly and angrily taking credit   

Again, I hope you’re right but I’ve seen the GOP machine work.  They will rally the troops and relentlessly attack the democrats until they submit.  The problem in this scenario is what does submission look like?  Only Trump can define his victory or defeat and no one knows what either looks like. That’s how Trump holds all the power. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Again, I hope you’re right but I’ve seen the GOP machine work.  They will rally the troops and relentlessly attack the democrats until they submit.  The problem in this scenario is what does submission look like?  Only Trump can define his victory or defeat and no one knows what either looks like. That’s how Trump holds all the power. 

As somebody mentioned - Maslow's Hierarchy.  

Unless the GOP machine magically starts cutting checks for everybody, we are rapidly closing in on the moment where it goes from being painful for 800,000 people and their families, and annoying for millions, to directly and drastically affecting tens of millions of people and who knows how many businesses. . 

The clock is ticking and Toddler-in-chief wants to spend his time retweeting right-wingers and complaining that he didn’t slam a table.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Unless the GOP machine magically starts cutting checks for everybody, we are rapidly closing in on the moment where it goes from being painful for 800,000 people and their families, and annoying for millions, to directly and drastically affecting tens of millions of people and who knows how many businesses. . 

The clock is ticking and Toddler-in-chief wants to spend his time retweeting right-wingers and complaining that he didn’t slam a table.  

The cruelty is the point.

You’re living in a world where that’s how it’s supposed to work. Where real pain and suffering has real political consequences.  Where people can come to reasonable conclusions based on the abundance of information.

This is a different America.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I can't wait for him to brag about the shut down.  "The best and longest shut down of any president EVAR!"

You bring up a good point.

His mentality is such that to him, it would be a badge of honor that he shut down the government the longest. So, there probably will be some capitulation, resolution, whatever you wish to call it once he has exceeded the 21 day shutdown in '95.

Nsiap. Border Patrol tested the wall prototypes with common tools and successfully cut holes in steel slat barrier. This info is excluded from report but obtained by NBC news. All the cost of the this gov shutdown plus 5.7 billion for something that will just be sawn through.

NBC News: In test, steel prototype for border wall was cut through with saw.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/test-steel-prototype-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856

7 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Nsiap. Border Patrol tested the wall prototypes with common tools and successfully cut holes in steel slat barrier. This info is excluded from report but obtained by NBC news. All the cost of the this gov shutdown plus 5.7 billion for something that will just be sawn through.

NBC News: In test, steel prototype for border wall was cut through with saw.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/test-steel-prototype-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856

Almost as if what every damn expert is saying is true, walls don't work to prevent crossings!

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump should offer Merrick Garland for the wall then run away before Schumer and Pelosi's heads explode while they decide whether or not to take it.

10 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Trump should offer Merrick Garland for the wall then run away before Schumer and Pelosi's heads explode while they decide whether or not to take it.

Seriously. What is up with this giant baby of a man always running away from things? Such a puss. Most wonderful and beautiful puss every seen.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The cruelty is the point.

You’re living in a world where that’s how it’s supposed to work. Where real pain and suffering has real political consequences.  Where people can come to reasonable conclusions based on the abundance of information.

This is a different America.

And you’re living in a world where a bigly chunk of America isn’t living paycheck-to-paycheck.  

We’ve already seen people hurt by his policies turning on him.   Now he’s getting close to fucking with the tax refunds of tens of millions of people.  

Those people were loyal to him because they thought he’d keep the government from taking or keeping their money.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And you’re living in a world where a bigly chunk of America isn’t living paycheck-to-paycheck.  

We’ve already seen people hurt by his policies turning on him.   Now he’s getting close to fucking with the tax refunds of tens of millions of people.  

Those people were loyal to him because they thought he’d keep the government from taking or keeping their money.  

I pray to god you’re right but this man in the White House has already crossed so many lines and nothing has stopped him.  His newly jobless supporters will be mad but they won’t be mad at him.   And even if they were, we already know they’re cowards and will do nothing. 

First off an inside scoop, clearly the unity is fracturing in the GOP.  Simply because Trump is a certified and continuous liar, and he says "the GOP is more unified than ever before."

It's really a LOT worse politically for Trump and the GOP than we realize, simply because Trump is trying to take every opportunity to talk to the media. Which means that his "serious" speech from the oval office did not move the needle upward in their internal polling. He's now addressing the Senate minority leader as Cryin' Chuck, saying that China is more honest than Chuck and Nancy, 80% of the media is corrdinating with the Dems to attack him, and the Democrats are PRO-crime!  Reminded me of  a child trying to list every possible possibility to a parent, on why what they clearly did is not their fault. He also gave the bonus that walls are of course breachable, but you just patch them over, and over, and over..

I particularly like his shift to Dems are Pro-crime.  That will play exceptionally well with people beyond a high school education, moving more educated folks away from this GOP silliness.

I just wrote a nice angry screed to my reps (all Republican) on how they are ultimately responsible for this by failing to hold the President accountable. I encourage everyone to write their reps quarterly to remind them of how terrible of a job they're doing. It might not do anything, but it feels good.

Trump's base doesn't fly or pay taxes. They'll notice the agriculture issues if and when it gets to the point that the makers of pop tarts, hot pockets, etc. take those items off the market because they can't guarantee safety. They'll blame Democrats, they'll eat leaves out of their MAGA hats, and they'll like it.

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story