2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I would seriously find a new job. No fucking way I would be called back by the IRS to come work for free to send out people’s refunds. Fuck em

Yup.  If they wanted to cripple the government (and Putin did)  this would be a great way to do it.  Get rid of all the institutional knowledge.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yup.  If they wanted to cripple the government (and Putin did)  this would be a great way to do it.  Get rid of all the institutional knowledge.  

Again: See the Department of Energy. The nerds have said fuck this.

Idiots in the Florida panhandle talking shutdown, with one of my favorite quotes I’ve seen. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/florida-government-shutdown-marianna.html

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.””

lulz.  So GOP.  “Electing him was supposed to make other people suffer.  Not me!”

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Whether the irs processes refunds  or not, I think the more immediate problem will be the airports shutting down as TSA ultimately stops going to work.   You can’t force people to work on the promise that they will get paid back at some point in the future.

Apparently you can because the IRS workers are being recalled with that promise.

6 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I would seriously find a new job. No fucking way I would be called back by the IRS to come work for free to send out people’s refunds. Fuck em

As a federal employee of 27+ yrs, that isn't always feasible nor practical.  I'm almost 50 and have been in the same career field (weather) since I was barely 22.  If someone like me were to resign, what am I going to do that pays even nearly what I make (when I actually get paid) now?  I cant start over now when I'm eligible for retirement in 7 years.  

What I WOULD like to do is actually shut every fucking thing down.  If we did, this shit wouldn't last more than a couple of days. Instead, agencies like the NWS, FAA, TSA, etc continue on as if nothing is happening so the common person never even notices.  And then you get a fucking idiot in control who hasn't an iota of a clue of how to govern, or even what the government does, and a shutdown can continue for who knows how long.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burt said:

As a federal employee of 27+ yrs, that isn't always feasible nor practical.  I'm almost 50 and have been in the same career field (weather) since I was barely 22.  If someone like me were to resign, what am I going to do that pays even nearly what I make (when I actually get paid) now?  I cant start over now when I'm eligible for retirement in 7 years.  

What I WOULD like to do is actually shut every fucking thing down.  If we did, this shit wouldn't last more than a couple of days. Instead, agencies like the NWS, FAA, TSA, etc continue on as if nothing is happening so the common person never even notices.  And then you get a fucking idiot in control who hasn't an iota of a clue of how to govern, or even what the government does, and a shutdown can continue for who knows how long.  

This is my argument on how shutdowns should occur.  Like fuel and bullets should stop going to troops in the field( I realize that doesn’t apply here because DOD approps were signed in September).  Congress has ceded its power of the purse to the Executive and should reclaim it.

the TSA situation is unique, because those are low paying/low skill jobs.  At some point, people will quit to find other work.  The other issue is federal payments to utilities, service providers, and landlords also stop.  At some point, those effects will be felt throughout the economy. 

Edited by Bateshorn

6 hours ago, Burt said:

Your views and my spouses align 100%.

6 hours ago, Burt said:

And then you get a fucking idiot in control who hasn't an iota of a clue of how to govern, or even what the government does, and a shutdown can continue for who knows how long.  

Mitch McConnell cannot escape condemnation for cooperation in prolonging the shutdown.  Light a fire under his ass.

Dems have demanded equal coverage time tonight to respond to Trump.  They also need to highlight Mitch and Senate complicity in this.

10 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Idiots in the Florida panhandle talking shutdown, with one of my favorite quotes I’ve seen. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/florida-government-shutdown-marianna.html

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.””

lulz.  So GOP.  “Electing him was supposed to make other people suffer.  Not me!”

Make America Deplorable Again.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

This is my argument on how shutdowns should occur.  Like fuel and bullets should stop going to troops in the field( I realize that doesn’t apply here because DOD approps were signed in September).  Congress has ceded its power of the purse to the Executive and should reclaim it.

the TSA situation is unique, because those are low paying/low skill jobs.  At some point, people will quit to find other work.  The other issue is federal payments to utilities, service providers, and landlords also stop.  At some point, those effects will be felt throughout the economy. 

The rent piece is one I haven’t thought much about, but I assume Section 8 payments through HUD stop at some point if this goes on very long, but what about actual property that is rented to the feds. I have buildings rented to USDA and others that pay end of the month. Under the shutdown do they make those payments or is it agency by agency dependent on when their funding runs out? If Section 8 deposits stop coming, it will be a problem for these guys that have gotten 100% into subsidized housing projects. The ones I know are solid R’s though so it will be interesting to hear where they stand. Maybe I can get the USDA evicted at the end of the month and find a more reasonable tenant to deal with?

This whole thing is stupid and hopefully is remembered next year. There is no way for him to win at this point which is going to likely make it much worse in the near term. 

20 minutes ago, Brew said:

The rent piece is one I haven’t thought much about, but I assume Section 8 payments through HUD stop at some point if this goes on very long, but what about actual property that is rented to the feds. I have buildings rented to USDA and others that pay end of the month. Under the shutdown do they make those payments or is it agency by agency dependent on when their funding runs out? If Section 8 deposits stop coming, it will be a problem for these guys that have gotten 100% into subsidized housing projects. The ones I know are solid R’s though so it will be interesting to hear where they stand. Maybe I can get the USDA evicted at the end of the month and find a more reasonable tenant to deal with?

This whole thing is stupid and hopefully is remembered next year. There is no way for him to win at this point which is going to likely make it much worse in the near term. 

And that applies to a host of federal payments on things like crop subsidies, etc.

If you really want to get extreme, what happens when NASA, NOAA, and NSF run completely out of money.  I don't mean engineers working without pay to stay intouch with ISS and Mars One, I mean when they literally don't have resources to power the Johnson center?  Or NSF can no longer supply and maintain the Antarctic station at McMurdo? I mean, it's summer, now, but Southern Hemisphere fall starts in a couple of weeks. What about the base at the southpole itself?  And that's not an issue of National Emergency, it's literally dollars in a bank account.

What about when the fire fire season  breaks out in the west?  It's one thing to tell the smoke jumpers to get to work without pay.  It's another to pay for fuel and anti fire chemicals for the C-130s.

Edited by Bateshorn

This shutdown is bullshit and all on trump and the republicans.  They could separate the two issues - getting the government back up and running, and funding for the wall.  Two different issues.  They are holding all federal employees, and all of us citizens, hostage because they can't separate the two.

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

Mitch McConnell cannot escape condemnation for cooperation in prolonging the shutdown.  Light a fire under his ass.

Dems have demanded equal coverage time tonight to respond to Trump.  They also need to highlight Mitch and Senate complicity in this.

My hate level is 

1.  Dotard

2. McTard

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

This shutdown is bullshit and all on trump and the republicans.  They could separate the two issues - getting the government back up and running, and funding for the wall.  Two different issues.  They are holding all federal employees, and all of us citizens, hostage because they can't separate the two.

"Son, do your homework."

"NOT UNLESS YOU BUY ME A CAR!"

"Son, we can continue the car conversation later, but you'll fail your classes if you don't do your homework."

"No homework until you BUY ME A CAR!  BUY ME A CAR!  BUY ME A CAR!"

^40% of the country apparently thinks this is a valid negotiation technique

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, also, how does that effect their ability to apply for unemployment insurance? 

They can file, but if they end up getting back pay, they have to pay back the unemployment in most states.

Another consequence not listed above is that all export licensing is on hold.  Both defense (ITAR) and BIS (commercial).  Gonna hurt every company that exports.

So here we are. The President has now invented a "national Crisis" in order to remove himself from the box he personally placed himself in.  So he's going to do what he always does, and what the GOP has become the party of, he will tell a series of lies, deceptions, and misinformation in order to create fear.  Death Panels, Obama is a Muslim, Obama is not American, deficits are bad (but only after shitty GOP financial handoffs to Dem Presidents) , we have always supported pre-existing conditions, the Supreme court should be a place of fair political play, voter fraud is rampant, and on and on and on.  So Trump is going to do what you can expect him to do when Mueller comes out with his report, he will decleare another national emergency and likely declare war someplace... simply as a distraction. Is there anyone here still stuid enough to think that Trump would not put your young men and women in harms way simply for a personal political win?  Anyone?

This is in my mind nothing more than a manuever to try and shore up enough Senators to blindly support him, as he screams political witch hunt, as it is crystal clear that from Mueller's investigation the man is simply not fit to be President.  It's NOT about winning in 2020, it's trying to maintain the ability to not be reasonably removed from office prior to 2020. It's sad to me that the GOP is fully supporting of the ever shifting lies always designed to scare people regarding the border.  But I guess when you can so easily ignore the Wall's famous tagline, "and the American Taxpayer is gonnna pay for it!!! (Wild Cheers from the Crowd and a beaming Trump) you can ingnore anything, expecially truth. So that's what we are gonna see tonight.  A lying President, who will then be nearly lockstep supported by the GOP who endorse the lie.

Unfortunately there will be a Democratic response tonight.  Something the propaganda machine at the White House did not calculate for.  My hope is that the Dems simply list the actual facts.  Showing that this is all a political deception.  The good news is that Trump should have no problem at all signing any of the smaller bills designed to get the government back open.  It's all a political game from the Whitehouse, a shameful, disgusting, foul game, fully endorsed by the GOP and knowingly built on a stack of lies. I assume this is the way out of the box? Hopefully for the poor workers getting fucked over a lie, the government will open back up and folks will get properly paid.  Funny that it takes a lie of epic porportions to get the government back open with the GOP in control.  But GOP has decided lies are the way, and at least we can feel good about the consistency in which that path has been endorsed. Trump's counting on that consistency in supporting lies and lairs to stay in office.  SO ENJOY THE TRUMP LIE FESTIVAL TONIGHT!

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 3

Even if Trump declares a national emergency, it immediately doesn't change a thing.   He will be challenged in court that he doesn't have the authority to create a fake emergency to bypass congressional powers.   

But say he wins that challenge.  After all, defining an emergency has been fairly subjective in the past for other events.  This would allow Trump to move money within the DoD to start some wall building. 

However this does nothing to open up the govt unless Trump is willing to sign a continuing resolution without funding the wall.  And it's possible the House version will reverse his national emergency funding.  The govt will still be shut down.

3 minutes ago, horn4life said:

So here we are. The President has now invented a "national Crisis" in order to remove himeslef from the box he personally placed himself in.  So he's going to do what he always does, and what the GOP has become the party of, he will tell a series of lies, deceptions, and misinformation in order to create fear.  Death Panels, Obama is a Muslim, Obama is not American, deficits are bad (but only after shitty GOP financial handoffs to Dem Presidents) , we have always supported pre-existing conditions, the Supreme court should be a place of fair political play, voter fraud is rampant, and on and on and on.  So Trump is going to do what you can expect him to do when Mueller comes out with his report, he will decleare another national emergency and likely declare war someplace... simply as a distraction. Is there anyone here still stuid enough to think that Trump would not put your young men and women in harms way simply for a personal political win?  Anyone?

This is in my mind nothing more than a manuever to try and shore up enough Senators to blindly support him, as he screams political witch hunt, as it is crystal clear that from Mueller's investigation the man is simply not fit to be President.  It's NOT about winning in 2020, it's trying to maintain the ability to not be reasonably removed from office prior to 2020. It's sad to me that the GOP is fully supporting of the ever shifting lies always designed to scare people regarding the border.  But I guess when you can so easily ignore the Wall's famous tagline, "and the American Taxpayer is gonnna pay for it!!! (Wild Cheers from the Crowd and a beaming Trump) you can ingnore anything, expecially truth. So that's what we are gonna see tonight.  A lying President, who will then be nearly lockstep supported by the GOP who endorse the lie.

Unfortunately there will be a Democratic response tonight.  Something the propaganda machine at the White House did not calculate for.  My hope is that the Dems simply list the actual facts.  Showing that this is all a political deception.  The good news is that Trump should have no problem at all signing any of the smaller bills designed to get the government back open.  It's all a political game from the Whitehouse, a shameful, disgusting, foul and fully endorsed by the GOP built on a stack of lies. I assume this is the way out of the box, and hopefully for the poor workers getting fucked over a lie, the government will open back up and folks will get properly paid.  Funny that it takes a lie of epic porportions to get the government back open tbut the GOP have decided lies are the way, and at least we can feel good about the consistency in which that path has been endorsed. Trump's counting on that consistency in supporting lies and lairs to stay in office.  SO ENJOY THE TRUMP LIE FESTIVAL TONIGHT!

My favorite part of all this is the networks trying to figure out how to timely interject truth during the speech.  Do we have a scrolling ticker countering everything?   A 30 minute segment afterward talking about all the lies?  Just rely on the Dem response to cover everything so we don't look partisan? 

It's just a forgone conclusion that they will be airing lies directly out of the President's mouth.  It's awesome.

the national networks really caved on this one.  They wouldn't let Obama have the national airwaves for topics they deemed too political but they are bowing down to Trump's bullying tactics because they know he will attack them afterwards.  Which he would but they are too cowardly to stand up to him.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But say he wins that challenge.  After all, defining an emergency has been fairly subjective in the past for other events. 

Can't wait for the next Democrat president to do the same and for every Republican state AG and Congressperson to band together for a massive lawsuit saying these powers don't exist within the framework of the sacred and untouchable Constitution.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"Son, do your homework."

"NOT UNLESS YOU BUY ME A CAR!"

"Son, we can continue the car conversation later, but you'll fail your classes if you don't do your homework."

"No homework until you BUY ME A CAR!  BUY ME A CAR!  BUY ME A CAR!"

^40% of the country apparently thinks this is a valid negotiation technique

Your example gives the child too much credit.  A car is an actual useful item.  It's no homework until you BUY ME A GIANT PIECE OF BLING!!!!   BUY ME A 20 CARAT DIAMOND!!!! 

5 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Unfortunately there will be a Democratic response tonight.  Something the propaganda machine at the White House did not calculate for.  My hope is that the Dems simply list the actual facts.  Showing that this is all a political deception.  The good news is that Trump should have no problem at all signing any of the smaller bills designed to get the government back open.  It's all a political game from the Whitehouse, a shameful, disgusting, foul and fully endorsed by the GOP built on a stack of lies. I assume this is the way out of the box, and hopefully for the poor workers getting fucked over a lie, the government will open back up and folks will get properly paid.  Funny that it takes a lie of epic porportions to get the government back open tbut the GOP have decided lies are the way, and at least we can feel good about the consistency in which that path has been endorsed. Trump's counting on that consistency in supporting lies and lairs to stay in office.  SO ENJOY THE TRUMP LIE FESTIVAL TONIGHT!

Trump doesn't give a fuck.  Hell, the courts will run out of money in a few weeks.  Win win for trump.  The only hope for this ending is either (1) the business community interfering to end this thing, probably when air travel grinds to a halt or (2) trump somehow giving money to keep air travel operating, under so called "emergency powers."  Illegal, but no one will stop him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the national networks really caved on this one.  They wouldn't let Obama have the national airwaves for topics they deemed too political but they are bowing down to Trump's bullying tactics because they know he will attack them afterwards.

Is that really the reason why? Maybe, I don't know. 

Or maybe they want to place Trump (and his lies) front and center so that they can be refuted (how that happens I don't know) for all to see. And by "all" I mean the mouth-breathing FOX News demographic.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can't wait for the next Democrat president to do the same and for every Republican state AG and Congressperson to band together for a massive lawsuit saying these powers don't exist within the framework of the sacred and untouchable Constitution.

As if there will be a next president.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the national networks really caved on this one.  They wouldn't let Obama have the national airwaves for topics they deemed too political but they are bowing down to Trump's bullying tactics because they know he will attack them afterwards.  Which he would but they are too cowardly to stand up to him.

Let's look back at history -

Networks claim Obama's immigration speech was too "political." Airing Trump's in its entirety.

GOP fake whines that the media never gave them a rebuttal for a non-SOTU speech.  Conveniently forgets Boehner's response to Obama's debt ceiling address in 2011.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Full blown active measures campaign 

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I had this fantasy that Mattis wouldn't resign without taking his service revolver into the Oval and smoking the Dotard and then himself. A 45 caliber resignation, if you will. 

Why kill himself?  He'd be a national hero to 70% of the country. 

On 1/6/2019 at 1:18 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

"We're going to be TOTALLY IRRATIONAL!!! Until the people we think are irrational, but in fact are rational, are RATIONAL (= irrational)!!!!"  

dou·ble·speak
/ˈdəbəlˌspēk/
noun

1. deliberately euphemistic, ambiguous, or obscure language.
    "the art of political doublespeak"

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Reality TV sells. TV is a ratings based business and Fear Factor has taken over the White House. It's complete bullshit but people will tune in. Advertisers will get a return on their investment.

This is why people need not fear President Pence. He's not a draw. He'd get low ratings. The term "personality" would never be associated with his cult. He's dull and weak and bland and without any charisma whatsoever, not even the reprehensible negative charisma of Trump. 

31 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Is that really the reason why? Maybe, I don't know. 

Or maybe they want to place Trump (and his lies) front and center so that they can be refuted (how that happens I don't know) for all to see. And by "all" I mean the mouth-breathing FOX News demographic.

The Fox News demographic won't see it. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But say he wins that challenge.  After all, defining an emergency has been fairly subjective in the past for other events.  This would allow Trump to move money within the DoD to start some wall building grifting.

fixed.  

Remember that tiny Montana based Trump donor-funded electric company, Whitefish Energy, with minimal experience that got no-bid first dibs on an estimated  $300M contract to rebuild Puerto Rico's power grid after Hurricane Maria ?  Records show Whitefish Energy’s first ever federal contract was in September 2016 for a $134,000 deal to install power lines in Arizona. 

The odds those tens of billions possibly allocated to build a wall actually turn into wall?  Pretty damn small, imo.

48 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is not a path we want to start down.  A BS national emergency that is a naked power grab is the road to a dictatorship.

This would be a huge step along that path, but it's very clear that we're already on that path.

Edited by GSU&UT

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is not a path we want to start down.  A BS national emergency that is a naked power grab is the road to a dictatorship.

4 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

This would be a huge step along that path, but we're clearly already on the path already.

We're almost there.  The Senate has been subverted.  We have no Senate confirmed Attorney General or Sec of Defense. Trump has already used the military for domestic operations.  The courts and the press are holding on by a thread.  

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story