2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Or, cut utter pieces of shit out of your life. We’ve had to do so with a couple of folks, and it’s helped everyone’s peace of mind. It’s okay to refuse to interact with shitty people. In fact, it’s the smart move.

I've had to do this with some lifelong friends.  I don't mind having different politics, but I refuse to associate with racist pricks.  I can't say it's brought me peace of mind - more like sorrow over the loss of close relationships and my utter chagrin that I've been associating with such assholes. Except they weren't assholes before.  Or they were, but they didn't show it.  Or.....fuck it.  At least my elderly parents haven't gotten sucked in.  On the contrary, my parents hate all things Trump and Trump-like.  But quite frankly, having CNN blaring all day with my mother screaming how much she hates the Republicans does not exactly make for a peaceful and harmonious visit either.  I mean, I get it, but what's the use of being riled up over it 24/7?  Then again she is old and becoming senile.  And there is a lot of other baggage between my mom and me.  Ironic that it's one of the few thing upon which we totally agree that is causing so much strife right now.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Once the senate breaks a veto override off in his ass, his hold over McConnell and senate pubs will be broken. Trump won’t forgive him and will constantly bring it up during their future dealings.

Welp, apparently we are within a week or two of it affecting tax returns, and TSA gonna get interesting this week, so Mitch is gonna get bent over soon.  

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

There's started to be an undercurrent of noise on Twitter that a deal may be cut with DACA being handed over and only part of the 5 billion being presented.  No idea how close may be but apparently the great negotiator, Kushner is heading this stance.

Trump won’t budge on DACA.  But I wouldn’t be surprised if Kushner is in the middle.  Kushner may actually realize the effect of Trumpkins not getting their tax returns and businesses having travel problems.  

35 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If the dems make a deal with trump on the wall, he’s going to force a shutdown whenever he doesn’t get something he wants. Better to make him fail now so that he doesn’t try this shit again.

Seriously.  I don't see how any form of negotiation is on the table for Dems at all.  They have all the leverage.  All of it.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Welp, apparently we are within a week or two of it affecting tax returns, and TSA gonna get interesting this week, so Mitch is gonna get bent over soon.  

I fly out of JFK tomorrow and I am a little worried. They have 170 people a day not showing up and it is bound to get worse. I plan to show up real early for my flight to Doha.

The airports will stop functioning if those folks don't get their deposits at the end of the month.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/shutdown-negotiations-significantly-delayed-republicans-didnt-know-trumps-wall-money-used/

Two Democratic aides revealed Sunday that the shutdown talks were delayed by 45 minutes because Republicans didn’t have documents that outlined what the $5.7 billion would be used for. 

According to a Wall Street Journal report, Trump told reporters when leaving the White House many federal workers “who won’t be receiving a paycheck, many of those people agree with what I’m doing.” Trump’s nonchalance about federal workers paying rent was even more evident when the Republicans came to the negotiating table.

“Two Democratic aides said Sunday that an afternoon meeting was delayed by 45 minutes because Republicans weren’t ready with documents to explain why that $5.7 billion amount was needed for the wall,” the Journal reported. The initial number last month was $5 billion. It slowly climbed to $5.6 billion last week, and as of Sunday, the number is $5.7 billion.

“The administration eventually provided a list of proposals including $5.7 billion for ‘234 miles of new physical barrier’ along the border and requested money for more law enforcement, more immigration judges and more beds in border-detention facilities,” the Journal said after reviewing the documents. 

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

If the dems make a deal with trump on the wall, he’s going to force a shutdown whenever he doesn’t get something he wants. Better to make him fail now so that he doesn’t try this shit again.

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Democrats need to hold firm right where they are.  Any “deal” would only embolden Trump to attempt more absurd shit down the road. 

Both of these.  Trump is a disingenuous player in this entire saga and the Democrats know that if they give him what he wants, he'll make up something else in six months and do the same thing.  There's no upside for them to do any agreement with him whatsoever.

14 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Both of these.  Trump is a disingenuous player in this entire saga and the Democrats know that if they give him what he wants, he'll make up something else in six months and do the same thing.  There's no upside for them to do any agreement with him whatsoever.

Our govt spend a great deal of its time trying to rationalize the thoughts and actions of a mad man. It's exhausting, but I guess that's Cheeto's strategy.

Some of you seem to be under the notion that Republicans, Trump and his supporters want government people to return to their jobs. They don't. They want smaller government even if they really don't understand what that would mean in actual reality. 

• Like 3

What brillian libertarian galaxy brain meme creator started pushing this incredible notion that because the "government is shutdown" that we should no longer have our taxes withheld from our paychecks? Good luck getting your HR departments or your ownself to calculate that shit way after the fact.

Just now, GSU&UT said:

What brillian libertarian galaxy brain meme creator started pushing this incredible notion that because the "government is shutdown" that we should no longer have our taxes withheld from our paychecks? Good luck getting your HR departments or your ownself to calculate that shit way after the fact.

Oh its from the same people that think any taxation is illegal, there should be no government except defense. Those type of nuts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kevwun said:

15 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As trumps wall will not be fully financed with this $5B, if the Dems give in trump will immediately want another 20B next month to continue it. Or whatever amount.

Rep Ted Lieu gets it:

And it won't be 6 months before he does it again.  It'll be immediately because he can't go 48hrs without an obscene distraction from attention to WH criminality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Wasn’t this dude elected on the premise of being a “master deal-maker?”

Refusing to budge unless you get everything you want isn’t a negotiation tactic, it’s what high schoolers get grounded for.

The problem with insisting on playing a zero sum game is that you have a good shot at winning....until you run up against an opponent who refuses to yield.  Then, you get....zero.  That's how such games work.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Is there any evidence Trump has made a “good deal” in his life?  

What's funny is when you get someone who thinks Trump is some big time businessman.  I always ask them to name three deals he's made.  They can never think of one. 

The fatal mistake everyone has always made in regards to go is not challenging his business history.  He's absolutely horrible and that's all he ever had to stand on.

There’s rumors that somebody in the WH realized Trumpkins will flip the fuck out if they don’t get their tax refunds on time, so they are going to somehow get the Treasury to get the checks out on time, even though the IRS is only partially staffed right now.  

“Even though many of those getting money from the government are Democrats, I’m going to make sure the Treasury issues all of the checks.  The most checks ever!”

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

There’s rumors that somebody in the WH realized Trumpkins will flip the fuck out if they don’t get their tax refunds on time,

I'm assuming they have a plan for Friday's payroll. IIRC, TSA and Coast Guard are currently scheduled to be fucked.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There’s rumors that somebody in the WH realized Trumpkins will flip the fuck out if they don’t get their tax refunds on time, so they are going to somehow get the Treasury to get the checks out on time, even though the IRS is only partially staffed right now.  

“Even though many of those getting money from the government are Democrats, I’m going to make sure the Treasury issues all of the checks.  The most checks ever!”

That can’t be legal without congressional authorization opening the government. 

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I'm assuming they have a plan for Friday's payroll. IIRC, TSA and Coast Guard are currently scheduled to be fucked.

Better get that TSA shit worked out soon.  I'm supposed to head to Europe on the 2nd of Feb.   

Nothing says it's all about security like not paying your security personnel.

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That can’t be legal without congressional authorization opening the government. 

Like they care.  This is the admin that has deemed federal parks employees nonessential personnel, not working and not getting paid, except for those who work at trump's hotel

The Trump administration will direct the Internal Revenue Service to issue tax refunds during the ongoing federal government shutdown, reversing previous policy, officials said Monday.

“Tax refunds will go out,” Russell T. Vought, acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, told reporters in an afternoon briefing.

In a late-afternoon call with the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, Richard E. Neal of Massachusetts, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the administration will call back a significant number of I.R.S. employees from furlough, in order to issue refunds. Mr. Mnuchin also told Mr. Neal that the I.R.S. would open the tax filing season on time at the end of January, and that enough employees would return to work to allow the I.R.S. to answer 60 to 70 percent of phone calls seeking tax assistance.

Those employees will not be paid until the shutdown ends.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/tax-return-refunds-government-shutdown.html

that enough employees would return to work to allow the I.R.S. to answer 60 to 70 percent of phone calls seeking tax assistance.

Those employees will not be paid until the shutdown ends.

Hah. Please come back to work. We'll pay you later. I bet they are gonna be providing top notch service!

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story