Casey Thompson in NCAA Transfer Portal Now

LTtxfan

Dang it....

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Source-Texas-Casey-Thompson-enters-name-in-NCAA-transfer-portal-126783538/

"According to sources, Rising, a pro-style passer, is concerned about the structure of the Texas offense and current quarterback Sam Ehlinger’s 143 rushing attempts, while Thompson, who served as Texas' scout-team quarterback, is concerned about where he fits into the pecking order at quarterback."

Btw.... FCB

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, Nope said:

Wow

So they both expected Sam to suck this year?

I think this is it completely.  They both saw 2017 Sam as nothing to worry about.  They can see that he's got a strangle hold on the starting job now and would be fighting it out with Roshon (who might be a better fit for our system) in 2021 having only 2 more years to play.  

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

What you mean is, we should have closed out games against Tulsa, KSU, OU, and KU better so we could have found time for the backups to play.

No, I don’t deny the problem, but think it was obvious, at the time, that we needed to get snaps to whichever of the two the coaches believe most essential to retain. Now, on the other hand, if neither were capable of doing so, next up....

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Did Sam suddenly become an indestructible cyborg? With the style of offense we run Rising/Thompson were virtually guaranteed snaps next year 

"According to sources, Rising, a pro-style passer, is concerned about the structure of the Texas offense and current quarterback Sam Ehlinger’s 143 rushing attempts, while Thompson, who served as Texas' scout-team quarterback, is concerned about where he fits into the pecking order at quarterback."

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"According to sources, Rising, a pro-style passer, is concerned about the structure of the Texas offense and current quarterback Sam Ehlinger’s 143 rushing attempts, while Thompson, who served as Texas' scout-team quarterback, is concerned about where he fits into the pecking order at quarterback."

Did sources add that Rising must be a moron, then?

Cam was always a bit of on odd take.  I mean you take him because he's so talented, but he didn't fit what Herman typically wants to do with his QBs.  With Cam the obvious choice to lead you'd at least think Thompson could see his chances to play being better.  Maybe (hopefully) he's under the impression that Shane is staying, putting him 3rd in line.

For those that know better... if you had your choice of Casey or Roshon, who is better?

5 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Cam was always a bit of on odd take.  I mean you take him because he's so talented, but he didn't fit what Herman typically wants to do with his QBs.  With Cam the obvious choice to lead you'd at least think Thompson could see his chances to play being better.  Maybe (hopefully) he's under the impression that Shane is staying, putting him 3rd in line.

For those that know better... if you had your choice of Casey or Roshon, who is better?

Rising ran for 1,642 yards and 24 TDs in 25 games as a high school QB. He was no stranger to the QB run game.

• Like 3

SI:  TCU's Gary Patterson Rips New NCAA Transfer Rule: 'That's Stupid'

By NIHAL KOLUR     July 16, 2018

It's safe to say TCU head coach Gary Patterson does not approve of the NCAA's new transfer rule.

Patterson spoke to the Star-Telegramon Friday about the rule changes, calling the NCAA's decision to prevent schools from blocking players from leaving, "stupid."

“Here’s what’s going to happen—players from other teams are going to start recruiting people and you can’t stop them from going wherever they’re going to go,” Patterson said. “Then it’s like what we’ve been trying to stop for a long time—it’s going to become the highest bidder. The people who are going to get hurt most by this is the non-Power Five schools."

Starting in October, athletes will no longer have to ask for permission from a coach to transfer schools. Students can now inform their current school to enter their name into a national database within two days. Once the student is in the database, coaches are free to contact them.

“Schools right now, they’ve got a list of who all grad transfers are. Now, they’ll look at film and see who all the best players are [not just grad transfers] and then somebody is going to reach out and find them."

Patterson was also critical of the decision because he believed it was indicative of modern society.

“What we’re teaching our kids to do is quit. I’m not starting. I’m not getting my playing time. Every freshman I’ve ever known wants to transfer because it’s harder than anything else he did in high school.

“As I tell people all the time, at your house you’re going to allow your 17-year-old, 18-year-old to run your household? Let them pay your bills, that’s what you do? No. You don’t do that. So why are we putting our jobs in jeopardy because of an 18-year-old? That’s stupid.”

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 4

well herman needs to start recruiting QB's again. gonna have to recruit guys who don't think they are auto starters after 1 redshirt year and coach em up. start checking out some transfers.  I guess the 4 year scholarship is worthless too.  no reason to offer that to a QB.

need to get a real running game so that you don't have to run the QB that much.

The Sam's of the world who are dyed in the wool longhorns and will stay no matter what are going to be few and far between.  At least Herman is known as an offensive guy.  I can see why patterson is pissed.  this rule affects the QB position the most.

Herman needs to hire a bunch of guys to specifically start working the transfer channel for all positions.

Just now, dcar00 said:

The Sam's of the world who are dyed in the wool longhorns and will stay no matter what are going to be few and far between. 

I don't know if anyone could match Sam's burnt orange blood (maybe Hager), but Roschon and 2020 commit Hudson Card both grew up Texas fans.

Just now, Machinator said:

I don't know if anyone could match Sam's burnt orange blood (maybe Hager), but Roschon and 2020 commit Hudson Card both grew up Texas fans.

yeah. the question is do they think they should be the auto starter by their rs freshman or soph year?

could be a good reason to have a decent wildcat option as well.

1 hour ago, Tonesky said:

I know, but we should have found some snaps for whichever one Herman cared most to keep in the que. 

Ok, smart guy. Tell us which games you would have had Herman give those guys some reps in  

Did you watch the games? 

Maybe could have let one of them kneel down at the end of the USC game. That’s it. All other games were in doubt until the end. 

Edited by Victor Lazlo

Odd that Thompson, the theoretical better fit opposed to Rising, would want to try to transfer when Rising is as well. If Rising leaves he has a shot to compete for the backup spot nextv year, abd either way could very well see real time if (when) Ehlinger has to sit in 19 and 20, and is the elder statesman for the 2021 competition.

RJ got these guys scared.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2