Cheez It Bowl - Patterson vs Cal

Longboard Horn

1 hour ago, bluto said:

That move is so underutilized at every level of fball. Just like recovering a fumble if any part of your body is out of bounds and you touch the ball it's dead. 

This is the key point. I don't understand all the comments about what a weird rule it is. The rule is perfectly consistent with every other rule involving a situation like that. If the ball touches a player who is out of bounds, the ball is out of bounds. That is the case in every situation I can think of. There's nothing inconsistent or weird about it, and yes, absolutely it is underutilized by most teams and returners. When a kickoff guy is good at putting it in a corner the receiving team should be aware of this possibility on every kick.

Also, it's happened three times in the NFL in recent history. Ty Montgomery and Randall Cobb did it for the Packers and Dwayne Harris did it for the Raiders just this month. The last one is probably where the Cal guy saw it.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

your lack of conference loyalty is disturbing.

Iowa St, the Pokes, West Virginia, the Purple Wizards...I bear them no ill will when not playing us and generally wish to see them do well outside of one week per season (the Purple Wizard going in dry on aggy a few years ago was quite enjoyable indeed).  Baylor and the city that harbors it, however, are a disgrace to the Great State of Texas and human decency.  Both need to be wiped from the face of the earth.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Ty Montgomery did it in on a kickoff in a game for Green Bay a while back I think. Only dude I’ve seen smart enough to do that on purpose.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is the key point. I don't understand all the comments about what a weird rule it is. The rule is perfectly consistent with every other rule involving a situation like that. If the ball touches a player who is out of bounds, the ball is out of bounds. That is the case in every situation I can think of. There's nothing inconsistent or weird about it, and yes, absolutely it is underutilized by most teams and returners. When a kickoff guy is good at putting it in a corner the receiving team should be aware of this possibility on every kick.

Also, it's happened three times in the NFL in recent history. Ty Montgomery and Randall Cobb did it for the Packers and Dwayne Harris did it for the Raiders just this month. The last one is probably where the Cal guy saw it.

It's still a stupid rule.  The penalty is "kicking the ball out of bounds" when that's not what actually happened. A kicker who can land the ball in bounds should not be penalized by a stupid loophole like that.  It would be an easy one sentence addition to a rule book that's already the size of the bible.

• Like 3

The rule book is around 200 small pages and that's including a whole bunch of interpretations and explanations.

So you think it's a stupid rule so you want a specific rule added that makes it different than every other rule. You complain about the length of the rule book so you want another rule added. Makes sense.

It's very simple. If the ball touches someone who is out of bounds then it's out of bounds. Don't want this to be possible? Then keep the ball at least 3 yards in bounds when you kick off.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Reading about this game reminds me of that SBNation article by Jon Bois where he replaces all the draft classes in NBAY2k with horrible basketball players then watches the league implode.

One of the Finals games is ‘won’ 3-0 and takes 12 OT to decide.

3-0.png

shotchart.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball

To me, that would be more likely to happen with football, if all the good athletes switched to other sports because of CTE fears.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's very simple. If the ball touches someone who is out of bounds then it's out of bounds. Don't want this to be possible? Then keep the ball at least 3 yards in bounds when you kick off.

but wouldn't it be more fair if it the ball is marked where it touches him out of bounds.  why does the ball get automatically placed 20 yds ahead of where he touched it?

I also recall the announcers discussing Tyler Trent (the sick Purdue superfan who was featured on Gameday before the Purdue-Ohio State Game) and the fact that Jim Irsay flew the family on his private jet to watch Purdue's bowl game. I think one of the announcers said something to the effect of "well we're all hoping for a happy end to that story."  The kid is terminal. It's going to end soon with him dying. The whole point is to make his final days enjoyable and inspiring. But the story will have a sad ending you dolts.

55 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The rule book is around 200 small pages and that's including a whole bunch of interpretations and explanations.

So you think it's a stupid rule so you want a specific rule added that makes it different than every other rule. You complain about the length of the rule book so you want another rule added. Makes sense.

You wouldn't have to add a new rule.  Whatever the rule currently says just simply clarify that the ball must go out bounds on its own without regard to being touched.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This is the key point. I don't understand all the comments about what a weird rule it is. The rule is perfectly consistent with every other rule involving a situation like that. If the ball touches a player who is out of bounds, the ball is out of bounds. That is the case in every situation I can think of. There's nothing inconsistent or weird about it, and yes, absolutely it is underutilized by most teams and returners.

Any scenario where an action can create a penalty in their own favor is completely weird and contrary to the intent of sporting.

• Like 1

Any scenario where an action can create a penalty in their own favor is completely weird and contrary to the intent of sporting.
You mean like an offensive lineman pretending the DL caused him to move when entering the neutral zone, or when a DB intentionally grabs a receiver blowing by him to create a 15 yard penalty instead of a completion, or a team taking a delay of game to give their punter more room to kill a punt, or a player kicking the ball out of the end zone so it's a safety instead of a potential defensive touchdown, or a receiver jumping through a DB to create a defensive PI call? Something like that?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
20 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

You mean like an offensive lineman pretending the DL caused him to move when entering the neutral zone, or when a DB intentionally grabs a receiver blowing by him to create a 15 yard penalty instead of a completion, or a team taking a delay of game to give their punter more room to kill a punt, or a player kicking the ball out of the end zone so it's a safety instead of a potential defensive touchdown, or a receiver jumping through a DB to create a defensive PI call? Something like that?

That's just scratching the surface, too. In basketball, throwing the ball off of an opposing player to go out of bounds. In baseball, the most obvious equivalent would be an intentional walk to get past a good hitter to a poor one. Intentionally icing in hockey. Flopping in soccer. The list goes on and on.

Offensive players going to the ground and changing their head height so that defensive players are fucked and are called for targeting and ejected.... wait....

Stache, the thing is there is no possession of the ball on these plays. So this still follows the logical rule, that as soon as the ball is out of bounds, it’s a dead ball, and the rule for kickoff being out of bounds is to bring it to the 35. 

I also recall the announcers discussing Tyler Trent (the sick Purdue superfan who was featured on Gameday before the Purdue-Ohio State Game) and the fact that Jim Irsay flew the family on his private jet to watch Purdue's bowl game. I think one of the announcers said something to the effect of "well we're all hoping for a happy end to that story."  The kid is terminal. It's going to end soon with him dying. The whole point is to make his final days enjoyable and inspiring. But the story will have a sad ending you dolts.
Not necessariallly.

884f2bcee0af77b513d58230fda51492.jpg615993a6d13ded91819a518f280875de.jpg408dcc568935eb86e7b40abe4698cbdb.gif1f336abff20c93447be7c0e5afbc31eb.gif383ab49169151f3aac2c1157f1c77d57.gif11c948fa9004ec56093d7a9e47bc2a96.gif3e92560c90bf11d8abf3339261afcf49.gifd38834e1eb5f3c8736b334d8269991a1.jpg0d93dcd019b6c78a083dc25f72af0fe7.gif

9 hours ago, Homercles said:

Reading about this game reminds me of that SBNation article by Jon Bois where he replaces all the draft classes in NBAY2k with horrible basketball players then watches the league implode.

One of the Finals games is ‘won’ 3-0 and takes 12 OT to decide.

3-0.png

shotchart.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball

I laughed so hard the first time I read that when it was published. Still funny as hell today.

5 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's just scratching the surface, too. In basketball, throwing the ball off of an opposing player to go out of bounds. In baseball, the most obvious equivalent would be an intentional walk to get past a good hitter to a poor one. Intentionally icing in hockey. Flopping in soccer. The list goes on and on.

The knee pass in basketball is the only one that fits.  Related: the end of bball games are barely watchable free throw contests.  

This was the best breakdown of the game I’ve seen (one huge typo No# bet/ not beat). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/12/27/18157269/cal-tcu-cheez-it-bowl-2018

Also, game was glorious. But in no way should Patterson have put in a guy who is still not healed. We all agree there. 

6 minutes ago, ajax said:

I didnt watch the game but I'm having fits of laughter reading this thread.

I watched it. I guffawed. Then, and now.

Either FatGary has suffered some sort of brain damage, or one of the few episodes of good luck for our preceding HC was to have Cumbie decide his Fort Worth church was more important to his life than the OC job at Texas.