Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Maybe if one is very sheltered, they wouldn't be aware of it, but I think the hand sign had enough exposure and controversy in the news that most should have some knowledge of it.

They deliberately did it on national TV - they knew exactly what they were doing.  It wasn't something that was accidentally caught on camera and not meant to be seen by others.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They deliberately did it on national TV - they knew exactly what they were doing.  It wasn't something that was accidentally caught on camera and not meant to be seen by others.

I was referring to the question about whether most Americans are aware of the 'new' symbolism. I am certain those cadets knew what they were doing.

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Those white supremacists must have some non-white classmates and superiors who will see what they did. Do enough people who aren't white supremacists know what that sign means?

I can only tell you this - a former co-worker who was a West Point grad and retired from the Army, said that it's being discussed among a bunch of the alumni, and they've already identified one of the cadets who did it.  He's Asian-American, and has a kid who is working on being nominated to West Point, so he's pissed, to say the least, and he said they are going to be pressuring for expulsion, and the cadets' info is liable to be put on blast.

Fun fact I did not know - he said if they are expelled and are a junior/senior, they can be forced to pay back the government the costs incurred so far, and he said it could easily run into six figures these days.  In some cases, they are allowed to serve 4 years active-duty as enlisted to cover it, but he said that something like this, they wouldn't be allowed to go that route.  The only thing I can find as far as costs, is that back in the '90s, a bunch of Navy midshipmen were booted out, and some of them were billed by the government for $75,000+, so yeah, I can see the six-figures thing easily.  They apparently don't fuck around when cadets get booted (and it happens more often than I thought).

Oh shit, did not realize West Point has been in the hot seat lately over racist stuff- their football team had to drop a slogan that many did not realize that white supremacists were using.

WEST POINT, N.Y. — The United States Military Academy at West Point removed a motto from a spirit flag used by the school’s football team because of its connection to hate groups.

The letters GFBD, which stand for “God Forgives, Brothers Don’t,” were emblazoned on a skull and crossbones flag the academy says had been used since the mid-1990s to emphasize teamwork, loyalty and toughness.

The administration at the academy was made aware that the phrase also is associated with extremist groups. The change was made in early September after an internal investigation.

Remember the Africa-American Superintendent I mentioned up thread?

“The U.S. Military Academy is fully committed to developing leaders of character who embody the Army values,” Lt. Gen. Darryl A. Williams, superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy, said in a statement. “Ideology, actions, and associations of hate groups directly conflict with our values and have no place at this institution."

Edited by atomheartbevo

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/12/14/army-navy-students-make-white-power-sign-on-espn-broadcast/2651114001/

Questions erupted during the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia when students appeared to make the White Power hand symbol during a pregame broadcast.

Spokespersons from the U.S. Military Academy and the U.S. Naval Academy told USA TODAY Sports they have been made aware of the issue - which blossomed on social media as the game wore on - and the schools are looking into it. 

I have a feeling the Naval midshipmen are probably on their way out - Navy fires commanders all the time for "loss of confidence", etc., folks who have had 15-20+ years in.  Having to face public scrutiny of a midshipmen deliberately flashing a white power sign on national TV is an easy decision.  Same with the West Point cadet.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I highly doubt anything comes of this but I’d it did, trump would drop a pardon on them quicker than it takes to flush a toilet 15 times 

It ain’t a crime, so nothing to pardon.  Instead those dudes may have just fucked up their military career.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I highly doubt anything comes of this but I’d it did, trump would drop a pardon on them quicker than it takes to flush a toilet 15 times 

If it was aggy, yes, but the service academies are all the time kicking cadets out, and lately they've had a lot of public scrutiny over sexual assaults and the like.  This is not the publicity they want.

And it's not like this will hurt them much - they still have to turn away a shitload of people every year.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

If it was aggy, yes, but the service academies are all the time kicking cadets out, and lately they've had a lot of public scrutiny over sexual assaults and the like.  This is not the publicity they want.

And it's not like this will hurt them much - they still have to turn away a shitload of people every year.

I was going to say, why carry baggage like that around on your back when you can find potential officers who are more than willing to lead with character. I'm sure the cadets didn't display the hand sign when applying, but weed out the unworthy so you end up with more Vindmans.

Wall Street Journal has now picked up on it.  And earlier this year, the Coast Guard nailed an officer who had been in for 23 years, for pulling this stunt in the background of an news interview with his boss.

And some are claiming that the cadets are looking at themselves on the Jumbotron as they make the signs.

37% of the West Point class of 2023 are minorities.  Going to be real interesting for those cadets.

Oh how I hope Trump latches onto this and tries to defend them.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

I was going to say, why carry baggage like that around on your back when you can find potential officers who are more than willing to lead with character. I'm sure the cadets didn't display the hand sign when applying, but weed out the unworthy so you end up with more Vindmans.

The simple and incurable problem is that those men will be unable to lead. The men who would be under their command would certainly include non white men and women. They could not believe in such a leader.

And that’s the cardinal sin in the military. Jeopardize the chain of command and the function of the unit, and you’re a liability.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The simple and incurable problem is that those men will be unable to lead. The men who would be under their command would certainly include non white men and women. They could not believe in such a leader.

And that’s the cardinal sin in the military. Jeopardize the chain of command and the function of the unit, and you’re a liability.

That's the whole "loss of confidence" thing.  It's interesting what can end an officer's career.  While the Peter Principle does happen in the military, those folks can be easily removed from command the moment they are a liability to their commanding officer.  And they can be removed by their boss - there doesn't have to be some kind of prolonged drama with HR.   They aren't always booted out of the military, but once you are removed from command, well, everybody around you knows it.  

Shame we don't see more of that in the civilian world, or at least done as openly.  Shit, the Navy Times pretty much runs a large article about it with a photo of the officer every time it happens, and that will remain on the internet for eternity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That is what I’m getting at, agreeing with @atomheartbevo that if a cadet has displayed unworthiness or unsuitableness, cut them loose. Otherwise he/she is baggage that the military doesn’t need. They are training leaders and as you pointed out, one needs to have a leader worth following.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/12/14/army-navy-students-make-white-power-sign-on-espn-broadcast/2651114001/
Questions erupted during the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia when students appeared to make the White Power hand symbol during a pregame broadcast.
Spokespersons from the U.S. Military Academy and the U.S. Naval Academy told USA TODAY Sports they have been made aware of the issue - which blossomed on social media as the game wore on - and the schools are looking into it. 
I have a feeling the Naval midshipmen are probably on their way out - Navy fires commanders all the time for "loss of confidence", etc., folks who have had 15-20+ years in.  Having to face public scrutiny of a midshipmen deliberately flashing a white power sign on national TV is an easy decision.  Same with the West Point cadet.
This. There will be no tolerance by either Academy. All of the cadets and midshipmen involved will be disciplined, most likely being expelled and given a dishonorable discharge from their service obligation.

People should call for the cancellation of the Army Navy game. There is better shit to fund with taxpayer money than the fucking academies playing a football game. In fact, let's just cancel the academies. The majority of officers come from ROTC anyways.

16 minutes ago, F250 said:

People should call for the cancellation of the Army Navy game. There is better shit to fund with taxpayer money than the fucking academies playing a football game. In fact, let's just cancel the academies. The majority of officers come from ROTC anyways.

Let's privatize them. 

Take it from a Bama alumni, Trump showing up for a game is a curse that lingers.

The Trump Curse ruined our season and took out our best player.

At least we didn’t have frat bros get caught flashing white power gang signs.

If he ever hints that he wants to come to a UT game, y’all better raise hell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Take it from a Bama alumni, Trump showing up for a game is a curse that lingers.

The Trump Curse ruined our season and took out our best player.

At least we didn’t have frat bros get caught flashing white power gang signs.

If he ever hints that he wants to come to a UT game, y’all better raise hell.

No way he would ever show up in Austin.  He's all aggy all the way.  They can keep him.

• Like 1

Today the President has no scheduled events. Next week he will travel to Michigan for a rally.

Couple of notes on his recent remarks in speeches:

On Friday when the President hosted the President of Paraguay, the word count fit Trump's personality to a 'T.' Mario Benítez of Paraguay spoke 55 words while President Trump spoke 2,203 words, with only 56 of Trump's words directed toward Benítez and the rest his rant. At least President Benítez had around the same number of words regarding the topic at hand prior to Trump launching into his usual rant. If the world's leaders have a listserve, they have probably come up with a new name for that wingback chair they sit are stuck in while Trump goes off.

Much ado was made about the President's speech in the Army and Navy locker rooms prior to the football game. One bit that I didn't see anywhere was that the Navy players presented him with a jersey (number 45). He asked, "Can I play today?" which was a joke (tone when spoken), but it was funny because it had come up in this thread. With respect to the players being able to postpone service prior to fulfilling their obligations, was the possibility of injury resulting in an officer becoming unfit for service addressed when this permission was granted?

Staff is up early on his Twitter account this morning and tweeting away.