Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's on all of us. Our culture gets what our culture deserves. I'd assume that low information voters make up around most of the voters on both sides and that Americans lack an ability to decipher bullshit.

https://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-statements-in-the-news/pj_2018-06-18_fact-opinion_0-27/

How the study asked Americans to classify factual versus opinion-based news statements

PJ_2018.06.18_fact-opinion_0-01.png

This is what happens when the value of your education is only geared towards what job you're going to get when you graduate.

This.  We are creating sentient tools, not thinking citizens.  And we're doing so very much on purpose.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

56 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Also, eventually down the line something is going to have to be done about Fox News. I don't know what the remedy is but this rot of the brain cannot co-exist with a prosperous nation. It's obvious from those comments they have been indoctrinated by that network's lies. 

16 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Good lord that is fucking awful.  Those fucks get what they deserve; too bad the rest of us have to try to pick up the pieces.

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's on all of us. Our culture gets what our culture deserves. I'd assume that low information voters make up around most of the voters on both sides and that Americans lack an ability to decipher bullshit.

https://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-statements-in-the-news/pj_2018-06-18_fact-opinion_0-27/

How the study asked Americans to classify factual versus opinion-based news statements

PJ_2018.06.18_fact-opinion_0-01.png

This is what happens when the value of your education is only geared towards what job you're going to get when you graduate.

This is from two years ago.  Pretty fair to assume that this percentage has only gone up since:

https://marketingland.com/pew-research-center-says-45-americans-get-news-facebook-228001

Because of its overall reach, Facebook is the most popular social platform for US adults who get news from a social media site. With 66 percent of Americans using Facebook, Pew Research Center says 45 percent of US adults get at least some of their news from the site.

The survey found that of the 45 percent turning to Facebook for news content, half claim it is the only social platform they are using for news.

Following Facebook, the second leading social media site for news was YouTube, with 18 percent of Americans getting their news from Google’s video platform.

• Like 2

It's on all of us. Our culture gets what our culture deserves. I'd assume that low information voters make up most of the voters on both sides and that Americans lack an ability to decipher bullshit.

The book Factfullness was a fun read and underscored how inaccurate information and bias persists across a wide variety of people and cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.

There is a part where kids were asked to designate and define 3rd world countries and they tended to zero in on data from the 60s even though the kids were all born 30-40 years later.

It is also difficult to be “on” at all times. Work life balance has shifted towards work and keeping ones skills current while managing a family doesn’t leave much time for a whole lot of critical information gathering. It is just simpler to find a talking head to distill it for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

Ah, yes. The only option is for the state to control all of our media outlets. 

The state didn't control all tobacco "outlets" when they forced them to add warning labels to cigarette packs.

Imagine not jumping to conclusions impulsively, and considering ideas thoughtfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  We are creating sentient tools, not thinking citizens.  And we're doing so very much on purpose.

44 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

There are people on this very board, people who graduated from excellent universities, who believe college is a vocational school meant to prepare students for a job.

Grrr, big pet peeve of mine. I hear it frequently from A&M grads. "No point in liberal arts." I wasn't in liberal arts, but I am quite thankful that my alma mater required a very solid foundation in a broad area prior to focusing upon knowledge useful to one's area of interest. The entire premise of this type of higher education is to prepare you for opportunities and circumstances unknown and to bring forth your perspective into the greater world as a critically thinking, continuously improving citizen. Lofty ideals, but worthy nonetheless.

Edit- I use A&M as an example because I know many and also because it is my understanding that it has not been a university as long as UT has in that it was more of a technical college. Forgive me if I got that wrong.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
correction and addition
  • Like 2

College = trade school (engineering, law, medicine, business) is a relatively new phenomenon that has coincided with the rise of the religious right.  It goes hand in hand with the dismissal of liberal arts, ironically as those studies have gained more traction in the workplace.  It turns out even big business needs people who have been taught how to learn as opposed to having been taught a bunch of facts (and I say this as a professional engineer).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

College = trade school (engineering, law, medicine, business) is a relatively new phenomenon that has coincided with the rise of the religious right.  It goes hand in hand with the dismissal of liberal arts, ironically as those studies have gained more traction in the workplace.  It turns out even big business needs people who have been taught how to learn as opposed to having been taught a bunch of facts (and I say this as a professional engineer).

this is so true. the idea of a liberal arts education was always to provide a means to actually thinking around problems instead of tackling them head on. ideally, you have a good mix of both in the workplace.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's undeniably true is that in EVERY profession or field, there is huge value in being able to see "the big picture," and to visualize complex systems and relationships and how they push/pull against each other.  That helps you make a sale, win a case, design an effective water treatment plant, treat a patient, re-wire a house, etc. etc.

Automatons who know how to turn a wrench in one direction are useful tools, and not much else.  The problem is, equipping people with an education that sets them up for broader success also makes them MUCH less susceptible to simplistic fear-mongering and bullshit, because they can get enough intellectual altitude to look down on what you're laying out, and see it as pure bullshit.  And we can't have that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Automatons who know how to turn a wrench in one direction are useful tools, and not much else.  The problem is, equipping people with an education that sets them up for broader success also makes them MUCH less susceptible to simplistic fear-mongering and bullshit,

You know, that's a good point, one I probably knew from an intuitive standpoint, but I haven't heard it made so explicitly.  The last thing an autocrat values is free thinking.

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Hahahaha.  At this point you just have to laugh at the stupidity of the 99%ers who support this transparently corrupt motherfucker and have convinced themselves that he’s “one of us.”  

But they will.  They will go through whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to avoid admitting they were wrong.

Rule of the con game: the conned will never, ever admit they were conned.  See, e.g., April and Billy and tomorrow's the big day.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Hahahaha.  At this point you just have to laugh at the stupidity of the 99%ers who support this transparently corrupt motherfucker and have convinced themselves that he’s “one of us.”  

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But they will.  They will go through whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to avoid admitting they were wrong.

Rule of the con game: the conned will never, ever admit they were conned.  See, e.g., April and Billy and tomorrow's the big day.

Corrupt and immoral? Hell, he is one of them. That's the whole problem.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What's undeniably true is that in EVERY profession or field, there is huge value in being able to see "the big picture," and to visualize complex systems and relationships and how they push/pull against each other.  That helps you make a sale, win a case, design an effective water treatment plant, treat a patient, re-wire a house, etc. etc.

Automatons who know how to turn a wrench in one direction are useful tools, and not much else.  The problem is, equipping people with an education that sets them up for broader success also makes them MUCH less susceptible to simplistic fear-mongering and bullshit, because they can get enough intellectual altitude to look down on what you're laying out, and see it as pure bullshit.  And we can't have that.

I literally work with Ph.D. scientists and engineers.  They are ultimately my bosses.  These are peoples who are actual Mensa.  They pay me quite well to help them understand policy and how to affect it.  Because they have neither the skills, appropriate eduation, or mind set to tackle the complex issues of how to combine their field of knowledge with governing a global super power.  Can I intrepret the latest set of ice set date to understand how temperature trends will affect agricultural yields? No.  Can I help you understand how that affects cover crop subsidies in the next farm bill? Yes.

My degree is political science.  Oddly, learning out to think critically about elections, political theory, and economics, and do it under tight deadlines with heavy writing requirements (which Bates is known for) prepared me well for this field.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

this is so true. the idea of a liberal arts education was always to provide a means to actually thinking around problems instead of tackling them head on. ideally, you have a good mix of both in the workplace.

A liberal arts student with some mechanical aptitude is usually a great o/g hire. The problem is they usually get bored with their job, have to keep them challenged.  

My degree is political science.  Oddly, learning out to think critically about elections, political theory, and economics, and do it under tight deadlines with heavy writing requirements (which Bates is known for) prepared me well for this field.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ohhhh you are that kind of bates horn.
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Bojack said:

The curse lives on.  Last night, MAGA super turd and UFC fighter, Colby Covington had his jaw broken on his way to getting TKOed in his title fight against Kamaru Usman.

Took that belt right off Donald Trump's desk!

How can Covington suck Trump’s dick now with that busted jaw.  He can barely get his mouth open since the injury.  Only way to blow the President now is for Covington to hope Trump has a really small dick or for Trump to maybe get blown by a much younger blonde with an eating disorder.  

Although she is a batshit crazy Trumper, she is sexy.  And sitting between her sultry brunette allure, you can see on Pence's face that he'd rather fuck Trump than her.  

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Although she is a batshit crazy Trumper, she is sexy.  And sitting between her sultry brunette allure, you can see on Pence's face that he'd rather fuck Trump than her.  

Apparently a couple of tribes have banned her from their reservation after she tried outlawing protest of the Keystone XL.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/oglala-sioux-tribe-ban-south-dakota-governor-kristi-noem.html