Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Our transactional bully president making himself a victim, again. Sad.

Somebody probably beat me to it, but isn't this expecting political support for extending a government service? It's not chargeable, but it surely (again) reveals his mindset. He is president of USA Corporation and wheels and deals with the corporation's assets in every transaction. Sadly, he trades away political capital for friendships with autocrats as part of his masterful deal-making skills.

Every tweet like this should be identified in these terms. He is trading something for something else. I think there's a Latin phrase for that.

Edited by RomaVicta
The apostrophe must never die.
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Seger78 said:

Honest question. Is it widely known that this is now a racist symbol and no longer just a dumb game to play?

Maybe I'm just out of the loop

Even if they are just playing the circle game their poor judgement speaks volumes and absolutely should be an indictment of their character and they should be removed.  Service academies hold their students to a higher standard and rightfully so.  They are not in some frat at State U.

4 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Even if they are just playing the circle game their poor judgement speaks volumes and absolutely should be an indictment of their character and they should be removed.  Service academies hold their students to a higher standard and rightfully so.  They are not in some frat at State U.

I agree, but even the circle game, oft used as gaslighting and plausible deniability (for those that use the symbol to mean white power), I would argue doesn't hold water here. The midshipman who removed a glove in order for his hand to be more visible was not playing a game to get punched on the arm, he was flashing that symbol to get it on the Jumbotron. Nor was the other cadet who held his hand behind the head of the cadet who just happened to be a person of color. Rabbit ears I might forgive as stupid even if they are cadets and midshipmen, but this is poor poor conduct.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, RomaVicta said:

Also, if some of his followers want to threaten violence, bring it bitches. I suspect they are cowards like their hero who only imagines his courage. 

Of course, they won't face a person who can hurt them. They'll spray bullets in a Hispanic store or synagogue.

I'm a boomer past his prime. I'll happily risk an ass kicking to stand face to face with one of these despicable assholes. I'll applaud when they are thrown face down on the ground and whine when the cuffs are applied to their wrists.

I don't like the hate building in me, but sometimes that destructive emotion is cultivated from without. It's been planted and nurtured by persons intent on being the enemies of truth, decency, and tolerance. They seem bent on losing their status as fellow citizens by their actions against fellow citizens and the weak who are not citizens.

I've got my mother's Colt .38 revolver and a handful of bullets. I've never before thought of actually having to use it in a civil conflict. If it's forced on us, I think the strutting Trumpists will be surprised at the reaction of the snowflakes that they guess oppose them.

It's okay, grandpa. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I agree, but even the circle game, oft used as gaslighting and plausible deniability (for those that use the symbol to mean white power), I would argue doesn't hold water here. The midshipman who removed a glove in order for his hand to be more visible was not playing a game to get punched on the arm, he was flashing that symbol to get it on the Jumbotron. Nor was the other cadet who held his hand behind the head of the cadet who just happened to be a person of color. Rabbit ears I might forgive as stupid even if they are cadets and midshipmen, but this is poor poor conduct.

Yeah it seems extremely unlikely that the midshipman didn’t understand what he was doing. Perhaps he thought it was just funny but I don’t believe he will think it’s funny this week. 

37 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I agree, but even the circle game, oft used as gaslighting and plausible deniability (for those that use the symbol to mean white power), I would argue doesn't hold water here. 

It strange how these movements take over innocent gestures and symbols to signify their nefarious intentions.  If no one knows what they are trying to communicate then what is the point?  Just a secret little handshake I guess?  Next thing you know, some backwards, racist institution is gonna highjack something as innocent as the “thumbs up” gesture to symbolize allegiance to their organization.....wait.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's okay, grandpa. 

What’s really best is that the rest of us won’t have to lift a finger.

Morons want to take up arms against my country? Ok, cool, Hookem. I’ll sit back and watch the armed forces do what they did last time: kick the shit outta the traitors.

Shit, I hope they’re dumb enough to really try it.

49 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

37 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah it seems extremely unlikely that the midshipman didn’t understand what he was doing. Perhaps he thought it was just funny but I don’t believe he will think it’s funny this week. 

Maybe I’m an old, but when I was younger, the circle game involved  holding your fingers down the side of your leg, below your waist.   From what I remember, you were trying to get them to look down at your hand, and you were trying to be subtle and not raise suspicion until it was too late.  

These cadets were doing it away from their body, and deliberately positioning themselves so as to be seen on the Jumbotron/national TV.   

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He’s reduced to quoting Charlie Kirk.  Let that sink in.  

Meh, it fits with his scattershot thinking. I have to admit my brain does that too, "Look! A squirrel!"

However, I haven't deteriorated to the point where I lack the occasional second thought that acts as a brake: 'Wait, is this for real? A good idea? A cogent argument?"

Trump is waaaaay beyond that, so it's the James Joyceian WHISTLEBLOWERSCHITTYSCHIFFHOAXWHERE'SHUNTERCOUPSTOCKMARKETGAINSNOAMMOFAUXCAHONTASCRAZYNANCYMOARJOBSIVANKAISHOTSLEEPYJOEPERFECTCALLWITHNOQUIDPROQUOMOOCOWDEVINNUNESBABYTUCKERCARLSON

in the form of a wide range of Tweets and retweets by himself and whomever he stumbles across, including hoax accounts.

Charlie Kirk's big, bold game-changing idea was to recruit more conservative white males to run for SGA President at big schools in swing states.  Reason being, at most public flagships---you control SGA---you control how/when/where public office voting takes place in your office.  You're virtually guaranteed to oversee either a Presidential election or Senate or a mid-term during your term.  That was it, and Charlie's group was well-funded.  They came through on a massive fundraising tour here in Texas about 4 years ago.  That was his big idea, control Greeks who control SGA's who then control how tens and hundreds of thousands of would-be Democrat voters on college campuses vote every two years.  I didn't agree with the process but I admit I couldn't see how it could be corrupted   Then they got the C-A playbook for young people and it got even more corrupted by the Trumpsters/Alt-Right.  Now, the fucking President is citing him as an excuse to get outta trouble.   Charlie Kirk, the wonderboy consultant to SEC Student Vice Presidents, is now a "Witness for the Defense."  

Yep, that's where we are.  

i actually had someone use the "it's all bullshit because they've been trying to impeach him since he got elected" argument last night and i have to say, it went pretty well...

him - it's so stupid, they've been trying to impeach him since he got elected, it's obviously personal.

me - if they've wanted to impeach him for so long, then why did they wait?

him - they weren't ready, the dems were all over the place with it, nobody could agree.

me - but why do you think they waited until now?  

him - they obviously waited til they had something.

me - so then you admit the ukraine situation was impeachable.

him - no, that's not what i meant, i mean, they waited until they had something tangible, that was, wait, i mean, like, the mueller report was a huge fail, so they wanted to wait until they had something explainable, something they could present, to try and make it look legit, something the dems could get behind, and like, something that actually seemed impeachable, depending on what you believe.

me - uh huh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Charlie's bio on rationalwiki.org starts out "Charlie Kirk (1993[1]–) is an American right-wing grifter, professional meme maker, and diaper enthusiast."

The rest is equally glorious.  
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Charlie_Kirk

Is the country in a stupor? I'd like to take whoever invented Twitter out and beat the crap out of them. When is Trump's tweets finally going to catch up with him? Seriously, does Trump actually work? He says he isn't drawing a salary, good thing, he doesn't do his job - actually, that could be a good thing. 

• Like 1

Accidentally put the President's calendar in the wrong thread.

The President will have lunch with the VP today, and then participate in a roundtable this afternoon. *(Governors' Initiative on Regulatory Innovation) All are closed press. Former Presidents, including Obama do this from time to time, but this administration has increasingly become closed off to public information with that regard. Troubling.

Trump is also tweeting a lot this morning albeit not at the same frenzy as last week. His minder has either forgotten to proofread,  is absentmindedly using the wrong perspective of speech, or Trump is referring to himself in the third person again.

*Handcuffs are off boys and girls! Feel free to raid your states' coffers! Taxpayer dollars for free, for free!

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

This is what we would call a) cult members,  b) low information voters, c) both.

The big picture:

• These voters hate the fact that House Democrats are moving toward impeaching the president. They call it a distraction from the issues that would actually improve their lives, like preserving Social Security, cracking down on illegal immigration, and keeping jobs in the U.S.
  • "I think she's wasting a lot of [taxpayer] money on a ghost chase," said Chad Y., a 43-year-old Obama/Trump voter, of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. "The money she's spending on that could go to help the homeless or go towards health care."
  • Another participant, 73-year-0ld Michael G., said Democrats' focus is in the wrong direction. "Instead of working on policies and things that will help the people, they are just working to basically preserve their own position ... [T]hey don't really care about you and [me], I don't think."

Between the lines: These voters aren’t sick of Trump's antics like other swing voters we've talked with, and they don’t feel a sense that things need to get back to "normal" — because Trump is their new normal.

That's reinforced by the fact that:

• They have virtually zero trust in the media's coverage of him.
  • Their support for Trump will grow, they said, even if the country enters a recession or a full-blown trade war with China.
  • And they credit Trump with making health care more affordable, thanks to — they said — his GOP tax law, which some said has saved them more in taxes so they can now reallocate that money to pay for prescription drugs.

Their responses were strikingly at odds with several other groups of Obama/Trump voters we've spoken with this year.

• In past focus groups this year around the upper Midwest, we've heard voters say they wish Michelle Obama would run for president; they've soured on Trump's personality; and several of them have indicated they would vote for Obama over Trump in 2020 if he were allowed to run for a third term.
  • But swing voters in our focus groups from Ohio, Iowa and now Michigan have revealed a common disdain for impeachment.

What they're saying: "He's proven what he's promised over and over to us," said 38-year-old Mary D.

• "Let him finish out the last four years. Why not? He's done good this far," said 55-year-old Karen M.
  • Others in group said they like Trump's "I-don't-give-a-s--- attitude," as one man put it.
  • Heidi L., a 66-year-old Obama/Trump voter, said she likes that "nobody bought him his presidency. He did it all himself with his own money and nobody's trying to buy him to do this or that."

While only two participants said they are definitely voting to re-elect Trump next year, the entire group said they're not excited by any of the 2020 Democrats, and no one signaled an interest in supporting a Democratic candidate.

The bottom line: The only way these folks are "swing" voters anymore is in their willingness to either sit out the next election or vote for a third-party candidate.

Also, eventually down the line something is going to have to be done about Fox News. I don't know what the remedy is but this rot of the brain cannot co-exist with a prosperous nation. It's obvious from those comments they have been indoctrinated by that network's lies. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I assume anyone who was willing to vote for him in 2016 in this face of all his vulgarness will most likely vote for him again in 2020. That includes the supposed "anti-Trumpers". Luckily we still have more people on our side. 

We did in 2016 too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Also, eventually down the line something is going to have to be done about Fox News. I don't know what the remedy is but this rot of the brain cannot co-exist with a prosperous nation. It's obvious from those comments they have been indoctrinated by that network's lies. 

Ah, yes. The only option is for the state to control all of our media outlets. 

• Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Good lord that is fucking awful.  Those fucks get what they deserve; too bad the rest of us have to try to pick up the pieces.

It's on all of us. Our culture gets what our culture deserves. I'd assume that low information voters make up most of the voters on both sides and that Americans lack an ability to decipher bullshit.

https://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-statements-in-the-news/pj_2018-06-18_fact-opinion_0-27/

How the study asked Americans to classify factual versus opinion-based news statements

PJ_2018.06.18_fact-opinion_0-01.png

Republicans and Democrats more likely to incorrectly classify opinions as factual when they favor their side

This is what happens when the value of your education is only geared towards what job you're going to get when you graduate.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 3