Playoff Chances in 2019

fellside

I can't help but look forward, and I'm fully capable of enjoying the Sugar Bowl win while simultaneously getting excited about next season.  It seems to me we have several things going in our favor to reach the playoffs next year.

1. Every Big 12 school that handed Texas a loss (OU, OSU, WVU) will be breaking in a new starting QB next season.  Almost half the conference (KU, KSU, TTU, WVU) will be in the 1st year with a new head coach.  The conference was relatively down this season, but could be even more so next year.   Oklahoma will always be dangerous, but Texas was already in their class before OU loses Murray and Brown.

2. If Humphrey and Johnson return, the offense should enter the season with more confidence than any group since the 2008 team.  Three years with one system is huge.  Three years with the exact same starting QB and WRs in the same system is even bigger.  The only thing we haven't seen from this offense was big plays, and I think Whittington and Jake Smith could help remedy that.

3. The amount of seniors Texas will lose on defense is pretty ridiculous (Omenihu, Nelson, Hager, Wheeler, Johnson, Locke, Boyd, Davis), but the most encouraging thing about the Sugar Bowl was the play of Koburn, Ossai and Foster to go along with Sterns performance earlier in the season.  If we do make the playoffs in 2019, it's going to be because the defensive recruiting class of 2018 saved our asses.  And as good as those seniors were, none of them were the kind of violent pass rushers that I think Ossai, De'Gabriel Floyd and Caleb Johnson can be.  Orlando hasn't had the kind of destructive force at Texas that he had at Houston.

It really comes down to three huge factors.  Can Texas recruit LJH and Collin to stay?  Can Green, Cook, and Jamison become quality corners by September?  And can three of Angilau, Okafor, Hudson, Tyler Johnson, Ghrimai, Reese Moore or Imade become productive starters?

Next year, I think 11 wins and a conference championship is reasonable. There is obviously questions on defense; however, as stated by OP the play by the young players in at least encouraging. The corners will absolutely get the work they need throughout the year to grow into the players they are capable of being. Additionally, there will be another full offseason for Yancy to build upon and get the team ready for the season.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We have a ton of holes to fill and need grad transfers and jucos galore and a ton of unproven kids to step up. When you have that many question marks I don’t think playoffs is a reality but winning 10 games again and keeping the bar high is and we should.

If anything, last night hopefully pushed some of those grad transfers and others to sign up for what will be another good ride.  

I think we are still a season away from the playoffs.  But with what was noted with three teams we lost to potentially starting new QB's and in addition to one of them being under the direction of new HC, it might not be out of the question.  Plus the schedule is somewhat more favorable with  LSU, Okie State, Tech and K-State at home.   The only game that somewhat scares me is the Iowa State game on the road.  I think ISU will be a salty bunch next season.  

IMO LJH is gone and CJ9 returns.  On D, 33 Johnson is NFL level and will be missed, the others can be replaced with young guys who will mature during the season.  Foster is a future All American.  Looking forward to more physical OL and DL play.

The opposition continues to weaken and OK State is at home.  

Beat LSU and it gets real. Overall CFB will still have a weak Pac12 and tOSU loses Haskins right? So Big12 gets in the playoffs. 

Most important thing -- KEEP SAM INJURY FREE.  Play the backups more , run it more.  Sam is the team in the same way Foreman was the team in 2016.   Sam may even get a NYC invitation.

12 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Unless you're Bama, playoffs should never be an expected given.  However, I will be disappointed if we don't win this conference.

I was coming here to post the above almost word for word.  Thanks for saving me the keystrokes.

I would only add that ill-timed injuries to key players is always a wild card

Edited by gecko
  • Like 1

Lets win the conference first.  That is for sure there for the taking.  You are basically talking about going undefeated for a playoff bid which I think is small probability of happening.  We play too many ugly games to come out with a W in all of them.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

We have a lot of holes with just graduating seniors.

3 OL

both starting CBs

both starting inside LBs (Wheeler had another good game against a more traditional offense), not a good spread LB, but he was excellent against the pro style offenses Texas played in the last 2 years).

the entire DL

Even more so if Humphrey, Johnson, and Jones declare.

The biggest depth question mark is OL, ILB, and CB.

Listening to ESPNU radio on XM they had a talking head running down coaching changes and the outlook for next year.  I never caught his name but he stated with the defense Texas has in place and talent returning (Ehlinger) he felt Texas was closer to playing for an NC than OU.  He also stated that OU's DC hire was one of the most important in the country as Texas stands poised to dominate the conference for the next couple of years.

It's nice being in the discussion.