2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Almost all of these articles citing likely regression are looking at stats but they are doing so without context. 

All this S&P crap is getting like the NFL drafting based on measurable. In our case, the stats don't come close to telling the story.

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Almost all of these articles citing likely regression are looking at stats but they are doing so without context. 

Be sure to cite point differential but ignore Texas getting out to big leads and then doing a poor job of milking the clock in several games. Up 21 on Tulsa, win by 7. Up 19 on KSU, win by 5. Up 21 on OU, win by 3. Up 13 on Baylor (with backup QB), win by 6. Up 17 on Tech, win by 7. Up 17 on Kansas, win by 7. Up 21 on Georgia, win by 7. In all of those games, the score was closer than the play on the field. It's not like Texas was getting lucky bounces at the end of the games to win these. They dominated. Hopefully, a more experienced and explosive offense will turn more of those games into blowouts. Based on what we have coming back, I think that is more likely than Texas losing these types of games.

Again, Texas is losing 8 of its most productive defenders. Look how this production is calculated and where he draws his conclusions from:

The two biggest drivers are tackles and passes defensed by DBs. This just in: defenses in the Big 12 play 5-6 DB's on almost every snap, make a lot of tackles and defend a lot of passes. Davis, Boyd and Locke logged a ton of snaps and they are gone so of course that number is going to be high as an overall percentage of the defense. Also both Sterns and Jones missed some time with injuries.

This guy has a ton of SEC teams (hooray playing base defense with four DB's!) at the top of his list for next year. For comparison, 4 out of LSU's top 10 tacklers and (and 2 out of the top 8 ) were DB's, accounting for 148 total tackles (25%). For Texas 6 out of 10 (and 5 out of the top 8 ) of their leading tacklers were DB's and accounted for 351 tackles which is 57% of their total tackles. Apple meet orange. LSU loses its stud linebacker and leading tackler but it is less impactful that Kris (I never met a pump fake I didn't fall for) Boyd and PJ Locke. Okay, sure.

It's going to be astounding in 2020 how much production we return when Brandon Jones is the only member of the secondary to move on. We will be S&P monsters. And sure, the new guys may not be as productive as Boyd, Davis and Locke, but I promise you they are going to log a shitload of tackles because of scheme and competition. Again, there is no context for this: just look at raw data and pull this out of your ass. Ignore how many times any of these guys are targeted as a function of the style of play. Forget how many missed tackles they had. Forget any sort of value over replacement player. Forget injuries. Completely ignore the quality of the future replacements.

I may be wrong and our defensive backfield could be a shitshow next year, but I'm putting all of this into the Will Muschamp "Statistics are for losers" category.

S&P is mostly like Body Mass Index - it's useful across a population from an epidemiological standpoint, but doesn't account for context in individual circumstances. 

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

So both LSU and OU games at 11am CST?

LSU should be an ABC/ESPN game. Depending on who gets to pick first, that should be choice #1 with Texas OU being #2. If ABC chooses first, they chose LSU and Fox gets Texas OU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

LSU should be an ABC/ESPN game. Depending on who gets to pick first, that should be choice #1 with Texas OU being #2. If ABC chooses first, they chose LSU and Fox gets Texas OU.

They have a network draft for games at some point this summer. In the past, Bruce and Stu would discuss Fox games selected on their podcast since Bruce does sideline with Fox.

8 hours ago, markstanco said:
10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Lsu next year will be a night game, bet on that.

It better be.  Or we will need to start hydrating today.  It will be still fricken hot enough at 7PM.

If I were betting ,  it will be the ABC game on Saturday evening if Game Day is in the house .  Usually it kind of works out that way unless Fox or CBS is carrying the game Game Day visited.

53 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Keep putting in that effort.

43 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.  

I find that if I go hard friday night I can just push on through and be a loud drunken mess come game time.  Which in my opinion is being the best kind of fan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It better be.  Or we will need to start hydrating today.  It will be still fricken hot enough at 7PM.

If I were betting ,  it will be the ABC game on Saturday evening if Game Day is in the house .  Usually it kind of works out that way unless Fox or CBS is carrying the game Game Day visited.

Some predict Clemson vs Aggy gets College GameDay..... not LSU vs Texas.

Sept. 7: "Texas A&M at Clemson — There are two big games this week: A&M-Clemson and LSU at Texas. Since Texas is a Big 12 school, there’s a good chance FOX swoops this game up, while ESPN is guaranteed to have A&M-Clemson on its air. Tie goes to the guaranteed broadcast rights."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately 247 predicts Austin gets GameDay:

WEEK 2: LSU AT TEXAS

Why this is a good option for GameDay: We have a feeling, at some point next season, the Longhorns will host GameDay for the first time in more than a decade and this seems to be the most likely option featuring a battle of Top 15s (projected). It would be hard to bet against Tom Herman in this spot and the atmosphere in Austin on gameday should be electric. If you're ESPN, you can't pass up this opportunity.  Another game to keep an eye on in Week 2 is Texas A&M's trip to defending national champion Clemson.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Alabama-football-ESPN-College-Gameday-locations-2019-football-season-Nebraska-Georgia-Texas-128950656/

Edited by LTtxfan

Yeah I would assume that both LSU and us will be higher ranked than the Aggies going into that game and, therefore, the more logical option. On the other hand, their game will feature the defending champions vs (insert SECx3 team) and that’s quite tempting to ESPN/ABC. The SEC attraction/preference in games was pretty evident when a prime time game (last season?) featured Alabama vs some spare when there were more interesting matchups to pick from. Granted, it was a lesser week in terms of those other games but it was obvious that the draw of the highest ranked team/SEC school won out notwithstanding the completion.

10 or 12 does set up pretty favorably for us so I hope/expect us to take advantage.

Also, I’ll say again that I expect at some point we start putting out flashy graphics like above touting the superiority of our graphics over other teams’ graphics.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

Also the only way LSU vs. Texas isn't at night is if one of us stumbles out of the gate. 

The national media gives fuckall about aggy. BOMC and all that you stupid sips. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/05/16/texas-am-clemson-set-nationally-televised-230-pm-kickoff-abc-sept-7

It's funny cuz it's true 

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Not going to happen, of course, but my ideal scenario would have Clemson losing game 1 against Georgia Tech, and coming into Sept. 7th madder 'n a buncha itchy hornets.

My ideal scenario would be A&M plays lights out, their finest game of the entire season, and they lose on a controversial call in overtime.

Then Texas beats LSU on a controversial call in overtime.

Then A&M goes on to finish 7-6 and spends the whole year wallowing in their misery about this one day when the refs screwed them and handed Texas a big win. 

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

My ideal scenario would be A&M plays lights out, their finest game of the entire season, and they lose on a controversial call in overtime.

Then Texas beats LSU on a controversial call in overtime.

Then A&M goes on to finish 7-6 and spends the whole year wallowing in their misery about this one day when the refs screwed them and handed Texas a big win. 

Sure but I want to blow the fucking doors off LSU and make the Playoff, but you do you.

• Like 3

Not going to happen, of course, but my ideal scenario would have Clemson losing game 1 against Georgia Tech, and coming into Sept. 7th madder 'n a buncha itchy hornets.
As you mentioned, not going to happen. They are worse than troy, and Clemson is better than Lsu.