2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

Why the fuck would Sports Illustrated basically promote a competitor's bullshit website? S&P+ has jumped the fucking shark, yet these writers use it like it is some kind of gospel. Can one of our resident statistics nerds create our own Surly metric? Maybe call it the T&F+ (TreeFiddy)....or maybe the OC&H+ (Ok Cool Hookem). We can blast it out over twitter and watch it become a "thing." Just make sure you put Texas in the top 10 and we are good.

Texas leads our list of college football teams that had good 2018 seasons but are likely to fall off a bit in 2019...

DGAF about your list, SI. All it proves is y'all a buncha over-rated dumb fucks. This statement gonna come back to haunt you, gonna look pretty damn silly with this thing hangin' out your ass.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdleast said:

For what it’s worth, here’s where Athlon has us this year (and for reference they had the same Big 12 championship game prediction last year):

8b8072e780a4075ff8a7bbb531913a43.jpg

I don't see 3 losses on the schedule outside of the Big12CG but I hope I'm not proven wrong. I think 10-3 is more realistic whether that 10th win comes against OU on October or in the B12CG. 

20 minutes ago, mdleast said:

For what it’s worth, here’s where Athlon has us this year (and for reference they had the same Big 12 championship game prediction last year):

8b8072e780a4075ff8a7bbb531913a43.jpg

I'm laughing at one article saying we'll play Clemson for a championship and one says we'll fall off. This... this is some bullshit. This implies we lose to ou twice and that shit ain't happening. 

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Why the fuck would Sports Illustrated basically promote a competitor's bullshit website? S&P+ has jumped the fucking shark, yet these writers use it like it is some kind of gospel. Can one of our resident statistics nerds create our own Surly metric? Maybe call it the T&F+ (TreeFiddy)....or maybe the OC&H+ (Ok Cool Hookem). We can blast it out over twitter and watch it become a "thing." Just make sure you put Texas in the top 10 and we are good.

GFYB&\../+

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

Oklahoma is not beating us in the Big 12 Championship unless Sam is out.  Ou's defense is populated with pussies.  Radley-Hiles talks a lot of shit just like the aggy Slo Neal.  Whittington, Duvernay,  Johnson and maybe even Bru will make Grinch wish he was in the Big 10.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Oklahoma is not beating us in the Big 12 Championship unless Sam is out.  Ou's defense is populated with pussies.  Radley-Hiles talks a lot of shit just like the aggy Slo Neal.  Whittington, Duvernay,  Johnson and maybe even Bru will make Grinch wish he was in the Big 10.  

tumblr_mp3udqHNpK1spvohxo1_400.gif

• Like 1

I don't see Texas losing four times.  The conference is down overall and ou won't be the same with Hurts (although he'll be good) while it's defense will be worse than the "inexperienced" Texas D. Also with more teams transitioning to more of a rushing offense than air raid..that can only help our "inexperienced" D, right?

2018 had a flukey loss to open the season (although that sort of loss may be on MensaTom as much as on the players), haand two midseason games in which we failed to hold a lead and gave up 40+. Prospects so far are that the O will be better and the D may not be quite as good. So if we as a team - coaches AND players - have learnt to avoid those pitfalls, I don't see more than one or two losses this season. And if the young D turns out to be improved, maybe none. 

Forgive the questions... just don't remember all the details.

Seemed like a poor game for Orlando vs Maryland last year.... 

1) What were the reasons for Mensa Tom's opening game struggles vs Maryland in 2018 and 2019??

2) When looking back at 2019 and self-scouting the Longhorns, what areas does the Texas coaching staff need to improve to compete for CFB Championships??

Edited by LTtxfan

1) Not sure we played Md in 2019, but Offense ball security failed three possessions late in the game. Some attribute that and general lack of production to Beck calling plays. Dunno if he was still calling against Tulsa, but that was not a comfortable watch.

2) Ask coaches. My take is D needs to pressure opponent QB more strongly, maybe more than anything else. O needs to have better running from people not named Sam.

EDIT - while maintaining other success on both O and D...

Edited by Tex Long

the koolaid is strong on this page,  strong to quite strong.  OU rolled a midget out and won the heisman with him, hurts will roll right in and wont skip a beat,  their shit defense got better last year as time went on, and they always seem to find a fucking running back that cranks out yards.  fuck everything about blowU but until we can close out a fucking game instead of winning on the last possession after starting the fourth up by 60 points, 4 losses is probable.  we need to mudhole LSU, to boost confidence and not lose a stupid fucking game we should win before im on the show me a loss train. 

• Like 7

Herman played conservatively in many games because we lacked depth and skill at key positions. He used the Mack Brown model for closing out close games, trying to hold on for the wins. With an older QB, better players, and more depth, they will be more aggressive in the second half of games. With that said, there will still be close games during the year.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Herman played conservatively in many games because we lacked depth and skill at key positions. He used the Mack Brown model for closing out close games, trying to hold on for the wins. With an older QB, better players, and more depth, they will be more aggressive in the second half of games. With that said, there will still be close games during the year.

This is our hope, dude.

• Like 1

Maybe Longhorns in video games again??

EA 'Very Interested' in Reviving NCAA Football Franchise If NLI Rules Change

The NCAA Football video game series by EA Sports was beloved by fans before its last release in 2013, and the company would be interested in bringing the franchise back at some point in the future.  "We loved making college football games," NCAA Football executive producer Ben Haumiller, who now works as a producer on EA's Madden NFL franchise, told Chris Hummer of 247Sports in an email Friday. "If the opportunity ever presented itself we'd be very interested in potentially getting back into that space."

The franchise folded after EA Sports lost several lawsuits, including from former UCLA basketball player Ed O'Bannon, for using the likeness of college athletes without their permission and without compensating them.   The NCAA's rules prohibit student-athletes' from making money from their name, image and likeness (NLI), meaning they were unable to receive money from EA for their appearances in the games.   However, according to ESPN.com on Wednesday, "The NCAA is forming a working group to consider how its rules can be modified to allow college athletes to be compensated for use of their names, images and likenesses." If those rules were changed, EA Sports would have an avenue back to making its famous football series.

"I'd definitely like to see it come back," former Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson told Hummer. "If they were to do a pool and asked kids if they want to be on NCAA football and if they want to bring NCAA back, a lot of kids would say yes although they wouldn't get paid."  

Soon, however, they just might.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836954-ea-very-interested-in-reviving-ncaa-football-franchise-if-nli-rules-change

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

the koolaid is strong on this page,  strong to quite strong.  OU rolled a midget out and won the heisman with him, hurts will roll right in and wont skip a beat,  their shit defense got better last year as time went on, and they always seem to find a fucking running back that cranks out yards.  fuck everything about blowU but until we can close out a fucking game instead of winning on the last possession after starting the fourth up by 60 points, 4 losses is probable.  we need to mudhole LSU, to boost confidence and not lose a stupid fucking game we should win before im on the show me a loss train. 

Kyler is a significantly better runner and passer than Hurts. Hurts is a strong straight-line runner, but he struggles to make reads and hit receivers in good spots. He'll also underthrow balls far more often than Kyler or Mayfield did.

I'm also not sure if Hurts is douchey enough to be a good QB for them.

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, texifornia said:

I think we go 10-4 again due to infuriating inexperience on D, but I'll be so so happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah, when I think back to how our defense fell off big time twice this decade after losing a lot of upperclassmen starters to graduation/NFL draft (After the 2011 season under Manny Diaz & after the 2014 season under Vance Bedford/Strong), I think folks aren't being realistic if they aren't expecting a dropoff on defense due to inexperience.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

1) What were the reasons for Mensa Tom's opening game struggles vs Maryland in 2018 and 2019??

2) When looking back at 2019 and self-scouting the Longhorns, what areas does the Texas coaching staff need to improve to compete for CFB Championships??

giphy.gif

Edited by Born Burnt
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

1) What were the reasons for Mensa Tom's opening game struggles vs Maryland in 2017 and 2018??

2) When looking back at 2018 and self-scouting the Longhorns, what areas does the Texas coaching staff need to improve to compete for CFB Championships??

Thanks for making fun of my mistakes Surly Folks.... Corrected above  😄

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, Tex Long said:

1) Not sure we played Md in 2019, but Offense ball security failed three possessions late in the game. Some attribute that and general lack of production to Beck calling plays. Dunno if he was still calling against Tulsa, but that was not a comfortable watch.

2) Ask coaches. My take is D needs to pressure opponent QB more strongly, maybe more than anything else. O needs to have better running from people not named Sam.

EDIT - while maintaining other success on both O and D...

Thx for your answers.  Like to forget the losses sometimes -- haha. 😬

Struggles on offense in Gm 1 last year sound familiar -- seems like the Horns couldn't get enough first downs to sustain drives.  From what little I remember of 2018 MD game, Orlando's defense was burned a few times by the the timing and speed of MD's jet sweep, plus as you mentioned the Horns pass rush wasn't hurting the Terps offense either.

Just wonder what Orlando and Herman have learned about game planning for 2019 -- hope adding more experienced analysts on the Horns coaching staff really helps this season.   A couple of times in 2018 where teams had more time to prepare and gameplan for Texas resulted in losses (Maryland and Okie Lite).   Matt Canada and Mike Gundy's staffs outfoxed Herman and Orlando in 2018.

For 2019, really hoping to see more improvement and blowout Longhorn victories that allow Texas backups extra playing time!!

Hook'em 🤘

On 5/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, texifornia said:

I think we go 10-4 again due to infuriating inexperience on D, but I'll be so so happy to be proven wrong.

I want to have this take as well, but I remember that Todd Orlando is a pretty damn good.

I remember listening to Longhorn Blitz a couple of weeks ago and Rod Babers made a great point: Texas should only have 2 teams on their schedule they may be underdogs to (LSU, OU). Everyone else they should be favorites to beat. In this 3rd year under Herman, I hope they take and even bigger leap like they should. "First you lose small, then you win small, then you win big." 

Which means stop playing down to the teams in games where you’re favored and stop keeping games close till the bitter end.

Best indicator that the tide has turned on this: we actually see Casey Thompson playing in mop up duty several times this year.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It's been stated several times that we're actually going to get better because the sucky guys are gone. Simple logic when you think about it, really. 

It's not that simple. Young guys make mistakes. Increasing talent but decreasing experience drastically will still have a negative impact, at least at the start of the year, which is when we play a lot of our toughest games. We lost over 230 starts on defense. That will show up on the field even if the younger guys have a higher ceiling.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's not that simple. Young guys make mistakes. Increasing talent but decreasing experience drastically will still have a negative impact, at least at the start of the year, which is when we play a lot of our toughest games. We lost over 230 starts on defense. That will show up on the field even if the younger guys have a higher ceiling.

It was satire. I'm glad it's becoming the prevailing opinion though because I swear people were trying to convince me that having Wheeler gone with no clear replacement was actually a good thing. 

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It was satire. I'm glad it's becoming the prevailing opinion though because I swear people were trying to convince me that having Wheeler gone with no clear replacement was actually a good thing. 

I honestly can't tell anymore on this board. lulz. I mean, in a vacuum, getting rid of Wheeler is probably a plus, but yeah, right now it's not looking like we'll necessarily have someone that's better than he was last year, which is sad. We'll see, I'm still hoping the light comes on for Johnson and then we can move Shark to Mac. 

• Like 1

I'd be willing to bet there's a girl in L.A. behind this.  She dumped him, he transferred, she took him back, he wants to transfer back.  Undefeated.

Edited by TexArcher
Prolly some sexy little Cali-Asian spinner type. Sprung, I believe, is the preferred nomenclature.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

He enrolled correct? See ya in two years. 

He enrolled at both USC and Texas, lol. He was an early enrollee at USC who took classes last semester, then transferred to Texas and took classes this semester.

Whats funny is that, conceivably, since he's gonna have two semesters under his belt before taking a snap, he's put himself in prime position to eventually be a grad transfer, too, lol.

1 minute ago, BigXII said:

He was an early enrollee at USC who took classes last semester, then transferred to Texas and took classes this semester.

Eh? He enrolled at USC in January for the start of the spring semestser, then enrolled at Texas about 3 weeks later near the start of spring semester there. He's been taking college classes for one semester, in aggregate.

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

So is this all about the waiver issue, feeling homesick, or what? I guess we can look forward to him tearing up the Pac 12 in 2021

Nobody knows. My gut feeling is that he's homesick and this waiver issue (whatever it is) is a symptom of the problem.