2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

The MOB is full of people who are so smart, they are surprised and delighted to learn that football players at an academically rigorous institution don’t, in the aggregate, average much better than a B- in a good year. This tells us not just how smart the MOB is, it also helps demonstrate the insecurities they mask by consoling themselves with their SAT scores.

Edited by Magus Ossis

44 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I’d like to see that compared to all the blue bloods and good football schools.  Nobody gives a shit what grades western Michigan football players make...

I couldn't give 2 shits what the GPA is at bama, sc or any other university that's not in the same universe as ours. Should compare Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, etc. Everything else is apples to oranges and the amount of tutoring doesn't change that either. / rant

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I couldn't give 2 shits what the GPA is at bama, sc or any other university that's not in the same universe as ours. Should compare Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, etc. Everything else is apples to oranges and the amount of tutoring doesn't change that either. / rant

Academically, the Provost believes we're closer to a Big 10 school than anything else. I'll take it. 

50 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Academically, the Provost believes we're closer to a Big 10 school than anything else. I'll take it. 

And that I can agree with. It's just that not all blue bloods are academically blue blooded, per se. Definitely not in the secX3 that's for sure. 

From a recruiting update:

Speaking of “the quarterback,” Ransom and his father attended a team workout on Monday. The unity and consistency with every player’s approach was something they definitely noticed.

“It was intense. Talk about something I’ve never seen before on that level - that was really , really impressive,” Mr. Ransom said. “The strength coach is phenomenal. It was on another level. Everyone was in tune, nobody was off doing their own thing. Everyone was working for the same mission. The quarterback was in there. There wasn’t anyone in there where it was ‘hey that’s that guy’ and he was off on his own or was any different. It was impressive.”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Can someone with access copy and paste story? 

Nothing new.   Typical off season story.

gallery_xlarge.jpg
2of2Port Neches-Groves Indians quarterback Roschon Johnson (C) (2) throws a pass in the third quarter during the high school football playoff game between the Port Neches-Groves Indians and the Fort Bend Marshall Buffalos in Baytown, TX on Friday, November 30, 2018.Photo: Tim Warner, Houston Chronicle / Contributor

AUSTIN — The walls in Roschon Johnson’s room were plastered with handwritten notes — strict goals set to keep him moving forward. They were constant reminders of what needed to be done and what lay ahead.

One of those pinned cards always held a little more meaning, the one that said he’d one day become a Texas Longhorn.

“That was just a goal of his,” said Schwanna Johnson, Roschon’s mother. “Before they even recruited him, he had his eyes set on Texas.

“He’s very focused. Once he has made up his mind, he just goes forward from there. So even as the other colleges were recruiting him, I mean he did take a look at them because he wanted to get a feel for what else was out there, but his mind never strayed from wanting to go to UT.”

Texas extended Johnson a scholarship offer on Jan. 25, 2017. The 6-foot-2 quarterback committed a little less than six months later at an on-campus recruiting event, becoming the first member of the Longhorns’ 2019 class.

Even Schwanna Johnson was somewhat surprised her youngest son decided to end the recruiting process before even taking a snap as a junior. But in Johnson’s mind, there was nowhere else he’d rather be.

That allowed Johnson to tune out the recruiting noise over his final two record-breaking seasons at Port Neches-Groves. He finished as the school’s all-time leading passer with 7,710 yards and second all-time leading rusher with 4,900 yards.

Johnson graduated early as an All-American and consensus four-star prospect. He was ranked by 247Sports as the No. 6 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and No. 29 prospect in Texas by 247Sports.

It was the culmination of years and years of toiling — with his father, Ronald, two older brothers and himself.

“My dad instilled in me, if you’re going to do something, be the best at it,” Johnson said.

From as young as 8 years old, Johnson spent hours pushing sleds up and down a football field with Ronald, a physical commitment that transformed him into something of a burgeoning big-hit menace. Battling against two bigger brothers further sharpened that resolve.

“Of course he looked up to his older brothers,” Schwanna said. “But to keep up with them, you have to push a little harder, tackle them a little bit harder than you would somebody else your own size and age.”

It became a problem — not for Johnson, but those poor, tiny souls who came across his path.

There was something of an outcry during his youth football days. Johnson, who moved all over the field, played with such raw, atypical power that his hits almost looked dirty.

“There was a game or two where he just tackled a couple of kids pretty hard,” Schwanna said. “The other kids didn’t want to play anymore after that. Then the parents and other coaches kind of felt a certain way. But he was just doing what he knew. He didn’t tackle to harm anyone, it was just his style. He played hard.”

Johnson’s destiny was under center, though. And his presence on the Longhorns’ roster this season has become more important than anyone initially expected.

The transfers of Shane Buechele to SMU and former four-star signee Cameron Rising to Utah left Texas with just three scholarship quarterbacks: junior Sam Ehlinger, redshirt freshman Casey Thompson and Johnson.

Johnson likely won’t see any game action this season unless something calamitous happens to both Ehlinger and Thompson. But his presence, especially after Thompson weighed an offseason transfer, is reassuring both for the present and the future of Texas football.

“He’s a tremendous leader,” Texas coach Tom Herman said. “(Port Neches-Groves) coach Brandon Faircloth told me a story of a game. They won, but I think Roschon had missed two out routes or something like that.

“Coach Faircloth comes in Saturday morning very early to grade the film. He looks out on the field, and there was Roschon by himself throwing that exact same out route into a net. I think he did it a hundred times. Just kind of speaks to the perfectionist, the competitor that he is.”

Johnson this spring felt the typical pains of an early enrollee freshman quarterback experiencing a new level of football for the first time.

“I think Roschon knows that he’s not ready right now,” Herman said. “And that’s OK, you’re not supposed to be after 15 practices of college football. So I don’t think that’s a huge concern of ours. I think he understands the need to grow in this offense.”

There’s little doubt Johnson eventually will pick up the complexities of the college game. That task is surely among the many new goal cards now stuck to his walls.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/longhorns/article/After-record-breaking-high-school-career-Texas-13937234.php?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

LoL tHe tExaS tEaM iS sO sTuPiD

Pretty god damn impressive!  My wife's younger cousin just graduated from McCombs with his masters in Finance.  That's no joke.  Good for him!

*no if only we can get a poultry science program up and running....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Pretty god damn impressive!  My wife's younger cousin just graduated from McCombs with his masters in Finance.  That's no joke.  Good for him!

*no if only we can get a poultry science program up and running....

Would love for Texas to do it just to watch the fire from Collie Station. Cranial Spontaneous Combustion

Edited by Droopy

Odds teams win B12 Championship Game...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/big-12-championship-odds-texas-oklahoma-132652524/#132652524_9

-125      blOU 

+250      TEXAS

+1200     Iowa State

+1200.    West Virginia ????

+1800       Okie Lite

+1800        TCU

+2300.       Baylor  (Seems low)