2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Sterns was the last player to get this much hype as a freshman and he turned out to be a badass.  I fully expect Whittington to be a freshman all-american, I'm chugging the kool aid!

This is kind of where I'm at. Maybe not FR AA, but I think it's safe to expect JWhitt to be good.

If I remember right the freshmen that got hype last year were Sterns, Foster, and Ingram once he got on campus. Cook too but it was always known he'd be behind David and Boyd.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This is kind of where I'm at. Maybe not FR AA, but I think it's safe to expect JWhitt to be good.

If I remember right the freshmen that got hype last year were Sterns, Foster, and Ingram once he got on campus. Cook too but it was always known he'd be behind David and Boyd.

We heard good things about Angilau and Ossai as well but it took some time for Ossai to find the field, and the staff is steadfast about redshirting OL (a good thing).

The differentiator is that Sterns and Foster were early enrollees and Ingram was just so much more talented than anyone else in the RB room (in the category of "has his head screwed on right").

Edited by Machinator

Texas High School FB Coaches are whiny bitches....
https://www.frogsowar.com/2019/7/11/20689664/gary-patterson-matt-rhule-jimbo-fisher-tom-herman  
"Trust Me, I’m a Football Coach"
A Dave Cambell's FB survey of the most trustworthy coaches in Texas had some illuminating results.
By Grant McGalliard  Jul 11, 2019
Coaches were asked “Which of the 12 FBS coaches in Texas would you say you trust the most?” and “Which of the 12 FBS coaches in Texas would you say you trust the least?” Those are two questions designed to gin up some discussion — so let’s discuss them, because, hoo boy, some of these results are really funny.
TCU’s own Gary Patterson topped the list of the most trustworthy coaches, with 25.2 percent saying they trusted GP the most. That narrowly edged out Baylor’s Matt Rhule, who came in at 21.5 percent. That sounds about right. Patterson has made a living on giving scholarships and playing time to under-recruited kids from one-stoplight towns across the state. And Rhule is by all accounts a really swell dude.
Tom Herman checks in at 11.4 percent, which I find hilarious. He’s coached at Houston and the state’s flagship program, and he can’t beat out the guy at SMU in gaining high school coaches’ trust. Maybe he should buy a grill that says “Trust Me, I’m a Good Dude” on it?  The real humor is that Jimbo Fisher is below Seth Littrell on this list. Only 6.5 percent of coaches say they trust Jimbo the most. I’m not a recruiting expert, but I don’t think that’s good! Maybe it’s because he talks too fast, or maybe it’s because he makes too much money, or maybe he’s a Skoal guy and most Texas coaches chew Copenhagen. Who knows!
But Aggie fans should rest easy, because Jimbo did top one list in the DCTF survey. Yes, 32.8 percent of high school coaches say they trust Jimbo the least of any FBS coach in the Lone Star State. He’s a relative newcomer to Texas, so that may play some role, but I’m going to have to award Jimbo my Big Yikes of the Week Award for this one.  Also, the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry is back! Because Tom Herman checks in as the No. 2 most untrustworthy coach in Texas in this survey, with 23.3 percent of coaches trusting him the least. Maybe they’re just waiting for him to actually win a Big 12 title?
rank trust and enrollment... I bet the negative correlation is strong...

18 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Someone else already said it upthread but hopefully he hasn't lost any speed. He already looked jacked at 200.

I don't think these guys put on any unnecessary weight, I think every pound although it may sacrifice a tiny amount of speed is worth it to avoid injury. Dude wouldn't be useful at running back unless he can take a lick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

I don't think these guys put on any unnecessary weight, I think every pound although it may sacrifice a tiny amount of speed is worth it to avoid injury. Dude wouldn't be useful at running back unless he can take a lick.

They will all lose weight in fall practice. I imagine Whitt will show up to the Latech game between 210-215, and likely finish the season 205-210. 

21 hours ago, Machinator said:

We heard good things about Angilau and Ossai as well but it took some time for Ossai to find the field, and the staff is steadfast about redshirting OL (a good thing).

The differentiator is that Sterns and Foster were early enrollees and Ingram was just so much more talented than anyone else in the RB room (in the category of "has his head screwed on right").

It's also a difference of position. Skill positions and DBs have a much easier time playing right away.  

Did not know and am not suprised the thieves are getting this treatment from the Dallas HQ. 

28. For the fifth consecutive year, Oklahoma has no back-to-back conference road games. Six Big 12 schools will play back-to-backs this season, six did last season as well, and eight did in 2017. But not the Sooners, since 2014. Don’t forget the gift basket for the league office, Lincoln Riley.

Not worth the yahoo read but offseason. https://sports.yahoo.com/40-things-to-know-about-the-2019-college-football-schedule-035935239.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvL3N4RzVzbGZPaG0&guce_referrer_cs=LgAchWpb1aJRgaHViYgfKg

So most likely "best 11" as Orlando says...

DL - Roach, Coburn, Graham

LB - McCulloch, Ossai

DB - Green, Foster, Jones, Sterns, Thompson, Cook

With the potential for Overshown and Jamison to move in to that top 11 depending on how Thompson looks.

The tackling ability of Jones and Foster helps you to be less worried about what a running team could do against 6 dbs used even more than last year.

10 hours ago, fellside said:

LB - McCulloch, Ossai

With the potential for Overshown and Jamison to move in to that top 11 depending on how Thompson looks.

The tackling ability of Jones and Foster helps you to be less worried about what a running team could do against 6 dbs used even more than last year.

I'd say Foster instead of Thompson at Nickel and Overshown at Joker is best 11 but yeah, it seems like it'll be something in that ballpark. 

12 hours ago, fellside said:

LB - McCulloch, Ossai

Based on what we've seen Thompson is not top 11 worthy. Chris Brown deserves that recognition at this time. He played at a high level to end last season and was off to a monster start in the spring before being injured. Cook is out 1st half of LaTech so it'll likely be a CB combo of Jamison-Boyce-Green, I expect to see all 3 play in the 1st half. 

A brief look at where we were going into year three of a coaching regime, last 20 years

Texas 1999 record 9-5. Last 3 games at aggy L, B12CCG at Alamodome to UNL L, Cotton to arky L. Top 2000 recruits (#6 class) Chance Mock and the big 3 receivers. 2000 result: 9-3, L in Holiday Bowl to #8 Oregon

Texas 2015 record 5-7. Last 3 games at WVU L, TTU L, at Baylor W. Top 2016 recruits (#7 class) Duv, Jones, Shark, Hudson. 2016 result: 5-7, beat ND to start season but missed bowl after 3 game skid.

Texas 2018 record 10-4. Last 3 games at KU W, B12 CCG at Jerryworld to OU L, W in Sugar Bowl over #5 UGA. Top 2019 recruits (#3 class) Bru, J Whit, J Smith, T Johnson. 2019 result:???

• Like 1