2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So... Jake Smith National PoY. A 4* guy is better than all the (how many are there?) 5* players?

Of course, we had a GatorAde PoY at QB back at the end of FUPM BRown's tour, right? Thinking this one might work out better... hoping, anyway.

Please don't do this. 

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So... Jake Smith National PoY. A 4* guy is better than all the (how many are there?) 5* players?

Of course, we had a GatorAde PoY at QB back at the end of FUPM BRown's tour, right? Thinking this one might work out better... hoping, anyway.

Petition to change Tex Long's username to oLd maN danger snax. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That was my first reaction too. The guy looked tiny in his high school film.

I think its at least partially a curse of the position he plays and the speed at which he does it.  I watch that high school film and see a lighting quick slot receiver and assume the guy is 5'9" and 175 pounds.  Crazy to think he's over 6' and 200 pounds and moving like that on a high school field.  Those poor slow bastards playing against him.

I feel like it’s going to be a big night.
i want my kids to experience that, but with it being hot af and the potential to be a close game/long night, along with the potential for Louisiana drunkenness, it feels like maybe too much for the fam.
im guessing best case scenario that’s a 6 hour ordeal - leave hotel no later than 4:30 for 6 start - back at hotel by 10:30.
The annual November LHN game is when I take my son. 2 seasons ago he had just turned 5 and I took him to the KU game. Last season was ISU. This year will be KSU. Weather is typically great and he's had a blast both times.

IT team notes

TEAM

The team returned to work after being given last week off for the 4th. As Yancy McKnight is wont to do, he's going to make sure the team picks up where they left off before the break. There's never any easing back into things after some time off. 

The team's in great shape: bigger, stronger, faster.

There's also better leadership than at any time this decade. Tom Herman is sending a group to Big 12 Media Days of not only All Conference types but also players who work hard and hold others accountable. He's also sending guys who can highlight Texas off-the-field like Jeffrey McCulloch, who I believe is going to depart Austin with two degrees in four years. The others attending are Sam Ehlinger, Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones, Malcolm Roach, and Zach Shackelford. As one source put it, "they've come a long way with who is attending media days." Yeah, no kidding. Of course IT will have you covered Monday and Tuesday for the gateway to fall practice that is Big 12 Media Days.

The roster was released last week and we had a thorough discussion of it. I wanted to fact check a few numbers.

T'Vondre Sweat is 320 pounds? "I don't know exactly, but that sounds about right to me." Recall that we said this guy was always destined for NT. Last fall Sweat said he was 260 pounds while probably being 280. He's all of 6-foot-4 with a big frame. Now the Kheeston Randall comparisons are becoming more resolute. 

What should the expectations be for Sweat? "Depends on he does in August. There might be some reps available at nose. Most likely is he'll red-shirt. Most likely is all the defensive and offensive linemen red-shirt." As we know, the assembly line approach is beginning to take shape in the trenches.

Any other freshman stand out from a size standpoint? "Pretty much all of them. They're all big, the o-line are giant. The exception is David Gbenda who looks more like the safeties right now. That's fine for the conference."

That's a good transition to linebackers. I saw Ayodele Adeoye was listed at 250. You have to be special to play linebacker at 250. "It's better than being 270. Now, it was 270 with little bad weight, but 270." 

Will he be ready to go this season and if not, who will be? "That's the ultimate question. Some guys are going to need to step up in August. Caleb Johnson may take a step up but he's not exactly a run stopper. Johnson will at least be ready to see the field with a good fall."

There's still no idea on what will be the favored personnel grouping between nickel and dime I take it. "Your guess is as good as mine. It depends on Dele. Who is the best personnel at linebacker and how do you get all those defensive backs on the field? It's the same question as previously. It might be dime but then you're not playing Joseph Ossai to his strengths. It's a tricky situation."

It's going to be a big August for Todd Orlando. What about D-line? Can Coburn give this team the snaps it needs at nose tackle? "He's in better shape than last year and should be fine within his rotation. You'll have to be careful against teams that change tempo. He'll get tired at times but he's going to be pretty good."

I saw Jacoby Jones was up to 275. How does that look? "He's done what's needed to play defensive end in this scheme. He's not chiseled or anything. Remember I said if they could red-shirt him they'd really have something. But he's still moving well and that's what's most important."

What about freshmen Peter Mpagi and Myron Warren? "They're just under-developed at this point. They have a lot to learn but they move well and don't lack effort. Check back in a year."

Which younger guys, if any, look ready to contribute? "Tyler Owens and maybe Kenyatta Watson. Physically they belong and are fast and can cover. They likely won't be needed and still need to work on playbook and the technical aspects of their positions. On offense you have Jake Smith who looks like he can break into a deep position group.”

Before we jump to offense, any parting shots on defense? "There's a lot of optimism about Jalen Green. Word is he and Collin Johnson are going at it in workouts with Green winning his share. That's a good sign because Johnson is looking better than ever."

Wide receiver is deep and every report I hear starts off with Malcolm Epps being too good to keep off the field. What are they going to do? "I have no clue if they'll just put a bunch of big or fast guys out there and run verticals or rotate guys or both. Don't forget Eagles. He could come on. He'll be big-time if he can transfer his play on the practice field to the game."

What's the deal with Brennan? "He needs to stay healthy and gain some confidence in games like he has in practice. He's big, fast, and has great hands."

Are they working him at Z still? "Yes."

Running backs? "Same thing from spring. They're big and fast. They can all catch. They just need to stay healthy."

On the offensive line I've heard Sam Cosmi is above 300 pounds. "Yeah, he'll lose some in August but he's over 300. They have him at 6-foot-7 I think I saw. That's a stretch but it doesn't matter. The word on him is he can be the best O-lineman in the league this year. He should be the best pass protector in and one of the better run blockers."

What about Parker Braun? "He looks good, solidly built, he's ready to plug in and go. There's just a lot of optimism surrounding the offensive line in general."

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

TEAM

The team returned to work after being given last week off for the 4th. As Yancy McKnight is wont to do, he's going to make sure the team picks up where they left off before the break. There's never any easing back into things after some time off. 

There's also better leadership than at any time this decade. Tom Herman is sending a group to Big 12 Media Days of not only All Conference types but also players who work hard and hold others accountable. He's also sending guys who can highlight Texas off-the-field like Jeffrey McCulloch, who I believe is going to depart Austin with two degrees in four years. The others attending are Sam Ehlinger, Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones, Malcolm Roach, and Zach Shackelford. As one source put it, "they've come a long way with who is attending media days." Yeah, no kidding. Of course IT will have you covered Monday and Tuesday for the gateway to fall practice that is Big 12 Media Days.

The roster was released last week and we had a thorough discussion of it. I wanted to fact check a few numbers.

T'Vondre Sweat is 320 pounds? "I don't know exactly, but that sounds about right to me." Recall that we said this guy was always destined for NT. Last fall Sweat said he was 260 pounds while probably being 280. He's all of 6-foot-4 with a big frame. Now the Kheeston Randall comparisons are becoming more resolute. 

What should the expectations be for Sweat? "Depends on he does in August. There might be some reps available at nose. Most likely is he'll red-shirt. Most likely is all the defensive and offensive linemen red-shirt." As we know, the assembly line approach is beginning to take shape in the trenches.

Any other freshman stand out from a size standpoint? "Pretty much all of them. They're all big, the o-line are giant. The exception is David Gbenda who looks more like the safeties right now. That's fine for the conference."

That's a good transition to linebackers. I saw Ayodele Adeoye was listed at 250. You have to be special to play linebacker at 250. "It's better than being 270. Now, it was 270 with little bad weight, but 270." 

Will he be ready to go this season and if not, who will be? "That's the ultimate question. Some guys are going to need to step up in August. Caleb Johnson may take a step up but he's not exactly a run stopper. Johnson will at least be ready to see the field with a good fall."

There's still no idea on what will be the favored personnel grouping between nickel and dime I take it. "Your guess is as good as mine. It depends on Dele. Who is the best personnel at linebacker and how do you get all those defensive backs on the field? It's the same question as previously. It might be dime but then you're not playing Joseph Ossai to his strengths. It's a tricky situation."

It's going to be a big August for Todd Orlando. What about D-line? Can Coburn give this team the snaps it needs at nose tackle? "He's in better shape than last year and should be fine within his rotation. You'll have to be careful against teams that change tempo. He'll get tired at times but he's going to be pretty good."

I saw Jacoby Jones was up to 275. How does that look? "He's done what's needed to play defensive end in this scheme. He's not chiseled or anything. Remember I said if they could red-shirt him they'd really have something. But he's still moving well and that's what's most important."

What about freshmen Peter Mpagi and Myron Warren? "They're just under-developed at this point. They have a lot to learn but they move well and don't lack effort. Check back in a year."

Which younger guys, if any, look ready to contribute? "Tyler Owens and maybe Kenyatta Watson. Physically they belong and are fast and can cover. They likely won't be needed and still need to work on playbook and the technical aspects of their positions. On offense you have Jake Smith who looks like he can break into a deep position group.”

Before we jump to offense, any parting shots on defense? "There's a lot of optimism about Jalen Green. Word is he and Collin Johnson are going at it in workouts with Green winning his share. That's a good sign because Johnson is looking better than ever."

Wide receiver is deep and every report I hear starts off with Malcolm Epps being too good to keep off the field. What are they going to do? "I have no clue if they'll just put a bunch of big or fast guys out there and run verticals or rotate guys or both. Don't forget Eagles. He could come on. He'll be big-time if he can transfer his play on the practice field to the game."

What's the deal with Brennan? "He needs to stay healthy and gain some confidence in games like he has in practice. He's big, fast, and has great hands."

Running backs? "Same thing from spring. They're big and fast. They can all catch. They just need to stay healthy."

On the offensive line I've heard Sam Cosmi is above 300 pounds. "Yeah, he'll lose some in August but he's over 300. They have him at 6-foot-7 I think I saw. That's a stretch but it doesn't matter. The word on him is he can be the best O-lineman in the league this year. He should be the best pass protector in and one of the better run blockers."

What about Parker Braun? "He looks good, solidly built, he's ready to plug in and go. There's just a lot of optimism surrounding the offensive line in general."

I can see Dele playing in the first three games of the year, but once conference play starts, it's either gonna have to be Shark and Caleb Johnson in the Nickel or play a Dime with Overshown in the box. I don't see any way Dele holds up in conference play, and Overshown seems much more likely to be one of the best 11. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I can see Dele playing in the first three games of the year, but once conference play starts, it's either gonna have to be Shark and Caleb Johnson in the Nickel or play a Dime with Overshown in the box. I don't see any way Dele holds up in conference play, and Overshown seems much more likely to be one of the best 11. 

Dele can still be useful against the Kansas teams and ISU.  Maybe WVU now I really don't know?  Baylor goes under center some in a traditional I-formation look.

I wouldn't put him against Gundy, OU, TCU for sure.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

TEAM

Wait are they saying Dele weighed 270? 

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Wait are they saying Dele weighed 270? 

I thought perhaps that was an allusion to Malcolm Roach last season, but not certain of it. Despite Herman saying how fast he could move at that size during fall camp last season, he was too slow for LB. He's listed at 290 this season and think he will wreak some havoc on the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

If anyone said that I didn’t see it.

I merely posited that it would be a discussion between the staff and Braun, because he’s got an interest in actually getting his grad degree and thinks another year might serve his NFL interests well. Eskimohorn, who still thinks Chuckles Strong was done wrong at Texas and that Mack Brown would have gotten back on top with a little more time, chose to go into pure hyperbole with his responses and claim that a redshirt was being definitively predicted and he wouldn’t stand for that position. It’s typical idiocy from a guy with a long, long track record of being a low information poster with a penchant for gooberism. You know the type. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27160980/the-petty-wonderful-delightfully-weird-rise-horns-down

We are in everyone's head..... ESPN Article Today

The petty, wonderful and delightfully weird rise of Horns Down

Dave Wilson.      ESPN Staff Writer

• Cleveland Browns quarterback and Oklahoma legend Baker Mayfield taught campers how to do itat his football camp in Austin.

• West Virginia put the Texas logo upside down on the schedule inside its football facility.

Texas A&M track athletes wore their bibs upside down so the Horns would be down on them at the Texas Relays in Austin.

• A camper from Norman, Oklahoma, did it while standing next to Herman at a Texas football camp.

Edited by LTtxfan